££s in the Bank or success on the field?..?

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers is already looking to the January transfer window, saying he "wanted more" from the club's summer business.

The Scottish Premiership champions made nine additions to their first-team squad before the 1 September deadline.
But Rodgers replied "no" when asked if he was content with changes to his squad this summer.

"I think, if you ask any manager, they will always be wanting more, of course," he said.

"But we work with the players that are here. I'm not saying that in any disrespectful way. I think every manager will tell you they maybe wished they could have done one or two more signings."

Celtic this week announced a record annual profit of £40.7m before losing 2-0 in their Champions League group opener against Feyenoord.

"The window closed, we had the players we had in and I'm a coaching manager and we will work with the very, very best players at our disposal to make our performance level the best we can possibly be," Rodgers added.

"Now we are preparing already for the January window and the summer window."
This is going to go tits up behind the scenes at some point.
He must be bemused at the level of players signed in the summer.
Sure he would have been more than happy with projects being brought in but he’s for a while he’s been laying the groundwork for blaming others ‘I work with the players the club provides’ to ‘I’m the coach’.
And think what he thought reading those financials the other day and the position he found himself going into ibrokes.
We all know he’s all about himself (wonder if he brought his portrait back). If he’s here a season and they ain’t gonni back him to any sort of decent level, he’ll be off summer first chance he gets. And he’s a shrewd albeit snide wee guy, he’ll have learned aff Ange, get your timing right and the backlash won’t be so bad. Plus when he says lack of ambition, he will be spot on.

This is going to go tits up behind the scenes at some point.
He must be bemused at the level of players signed in the summer.
Sure he would have been more than happy with projects being brought in but he’s for a while he’s been laying the groundwork for blaming others ‘I work with the players the club provides’ to ‘I’m the coach’.
And think what he thought reading those financials the other day and the position he found himself going into ibrokes.
We all know he’s all about himself (wonder if he brought his portrait back). If he’s here a season and they ain’t gonni back him to any sort of decent level, he’ll be off summer first chance he gets. And he’s a shrewd albeit snide wee guy, he’ll have learned aff Ange, get your timing right and the backlash won’t be so bad. Plus when he says lack of ambition, he will be spot on.
BR says he'll be here for 3 years. Well if it was me , no marquee signings in next 2 windows I'd be off. Board ain't backing me now what chance future windows.

Some of the European sides on the same budget as us have improved by buying players at 8 million, improving them for a couple of seasons and then sell for 15 million. Replace him with a 12 million player and bank three, two seasons later sell him for 18 and replace with 16 mill player and so on until they have a squad of top players with little lay out.
Our board prefer to bank all the profit for bonuses and buy as cheap as possible for replacements 😡

It's a heidscratcher right enough.

We made a whopping good profit this season with other good sales yet to be added that puts us in a very stable financial footing.

As fans we aspire to being contenders again in Europe. After all we were the first club in the U.K. to bring home the European Cup but since Seville we haven't really turned up on the European stage.

Celtic have the financial clout to buy more expensive players but attracting ones that want to play in Scotland are few and far between especially when they can attract higher wages from the EPL and Championship whose finances are light years beyond ours. The majority of those players are overpaid, overpriced and some are distinctly average but can still command humongous wages from leagues that are benefiting from the monopoly SKY cash cow.

What are we to do?

I don't have the answer and I suspect no one at Celtic has the answer and that's why they're content to dominate the SPL and turn up at the CL every year in the hope of playing past Xmas in the Europa League.

We need to take stock of our aspirations but I suspect they aren't the same as the Boards'.

Guessing the board sat on their hands to see who was pitched to them by him maybe just maybe they woke up to the idea that we had to do a full rebuiled by the time he left and all we had to sell was a lot of dross ,,,see how it pans out

watching other teams in europe over the last few nights ,,,none of them play the outdated posession football we've tried to play ,the good players we did have for the past 2 seasons are a shadow of themselves ,beating sevco seems to have clouded everyones vision
i see loads more skelpings in CL to come

Remember the money in the bank, will be possibly earmarked for recently announced capital spending projects like the new barrowfield training centre and possibly new main stand to complete the stadium as well as fan zones around the stadium to enhance the match day experience
The fan zones are a great untapped money maker , at the moment, 95% on fans /2 hr before the game starts, but it you encourage the to come 2-3hr earlier they’ll spend loads of money

I’m always suspicious of a member that only shows up after a bad result, always starts a new thread asking a disparaging questions of the club/board/team, only posted 58 messages in 2years, nothing positive, not even one after that impressive Glasgow derby win, or on the world record 8th treble…….

Bhoys and ghirls I smell a journalist planting stories and ideas….

Keith Jackson?…….

Hmmmm…

I’d DEFINITELY say the member posting as Danny bhoy is a journalist, a quick look through his posting history would confirm my suspicions
There is no doubt he seen my post, because he commented of stuff after it, but didn’t have the BALLS to stand up and argue otherwise

We’ll probably see him again….next time we have a bad result and he wants to sow some disharmony…….I’d hope we’ll all be ready for him and give Keith jackass as “warm” welcome back 😡👍

I’d DEFINITELY say the member posting as Danny bhoy is a journalist, a quick look through his posting history would confirm my suspicions
There is no doubt he seen my post, because he commented of stuff after it, but didn’t have the BALLS to stand up and argue otherwise

We’ll probably see him again….next time we have a bad result and he wants to sow some disharmony…….I’d hope we’ll all be ready for him and give Keith jackass as “warm” welcome back 😡👍

Yea I noticed that. I hope others have as well.

I’m betting there’s more than one on here, and most likely 1 or 2 with different user names…

Some of the European sides on the same budget as us have improved by buying players at 8 million, improving them for a couple of seasons and then sell for 15 million. Replace him with a 12 million player and bank three, two seasons later sell him for 18 and replace with 16 mill player and so on until they have a squad of top players with little lay out.
Our board prefer to bank all the profit for bonuses and buy as cheap as possible for replacements 😡
That’s what I can’t grasp with this lot and why i go on and on about them.
You have 60,000 paying punters, surely you'd want to provide the best product for them considering their loyalty and their annual stipend plus merch and extra tickets.
Rather than 52 million (barrowfield aside) doing SFA, a balance could have been 30 million in the bank gathering dust. The other 22 million could have been used to buy 3/4 players further on in their development along with 4 projects instead of the 8/9 we did buy. The other 10 could have been used to cover the uplift in wages over the duration of their contracts. There are no guarantees, but if Mark Lawwell is the chosen one, have some fecking faith in him.
You may pay 3/4/5 million extra but your getting a player that should be wiser and further along in development, thats still got a bit to go yet.

I also don't accept that we can't attract a level of player better than we have.
The last 10 years are littered with crackers and we have a few gems now, another 3/4 and we could really be a talented 11. But you have to be willing.

While we’re at opposite sides of the financial spectrum, it works in our favour that we’re next door to the richest footballing country in the world. We get exposure that other countries don't.
I’m sure there’s the exception to the rule (Jota is an example), but almost every big money sale has been to an English club. Now i know that our league is not the best but its no coincidence that almost all of our big money sales have performed in CL. These English teams buy based on that exposure not what they do in SPFL. It helps that they played in fairly decent teams.

So i'm surprised that the business model isn't polishing potential gems instead buying youngster miles away from CL ready. The other night Jagerbielke's 2 bookings were just naive and the bhoy Holm is just a fucking idiot as well as a tidy player. It was their first CL games, they've maybe never even been in a stadium as a supporter for a CL game at that level. Thats what the manager was left with and i reallt don't blame him for that, but you have to take that medicine when your blooding kids at that level.

We effectively paid Benfica 11 million odds for Jota to make 16 million so theyve done it before, why not again. They showed a bit of creativity to get Jota/Edouard/CCV, it has been done.
I get that the names Barkas/Ajeti are out there, but whoever bought them wanted their jotters, ludicrous signings who left us to go to erm, er....... they found their level.

But it is summed up best by our chairmans recent comments on the bank balance
'It is important to highlight that, given the increasing gap between the sums able to be earned between the Champions League and the Europa League, it is vital that we retain a cash buffer in reserve. History tells us that we will not always qualify for the Champions League and the benefit of holding cash reserves affords us the optionality of managing through seasons where we participate in the Europa League with the ability to retain our squad as opposed to selling key players to bridge the income shortfall between both competitions.

'as opposed to selling key players to bridge the income shortfall between both competitions',
FFS they've sold every cracker we've had and will continue to do so if the right offer is on the table so this is utter pish'

'we will not always qualify for the Champions League and the benefit of holding cash',
aye not while you lot are in fucking charge we wont. A coefficient that puts us straight into the group stages if we beat a basket case in the SPFL, surely to feck you could try and raise the bar to protect your coefficient, maybe even improve it, fuck win 2 out of 6 games and you get 5 million quid. Instead this cunts planning for when we end up where they've reduced us to.

Imagine one of them showed a bit of initiative, here's the deal, we'll set up a bank account 'the transfer fund' and supporters can pay whatever they want into it, it will go straight to the transfer budget and they have provide what they would year on year. Now i know a lot of guys pay a lot already, but there's hundreds of thousands/possibly a million out there like me that don't have a book or stay overseas. I would happily pay £20-£30 a week to that.
Instead we're penny pinching incase we have a bad year, FFS your jobs to make sure we don't by putting the fans resources where it really matters.

Thats what running our club's while ruining our clubs standing.

Last edited:
Don't really give a fuck about Dannybhoys circumstances or intentions, i don't need to read or reply to anything.

If he is what you say, wheres the story in what we write ?

If he isn't he's being outed without a shred of evidence as something he is not which is pretty fucking shit

Danny can we see your NUJ card ?

Perhaps he can't handle it when Celtic get beat, perhaps he's just a greeting faced fuck like me

Each to their own, he's doing no harm

Don't really give a fuck about Dannybhoys circumstances or intentions, i don't need to read or reply to anything.

If he is what you say, wheres the story in what we write ?

If he isn't he's being outed without a shred of evidence as something he is not which is pretty fucking shit

Danny can we see your NUJ card ?

Perhaps he can't handle it when Celtic get beat, perhaps he's just a greeting faced fuck like me

Each to their own, he's doing no harm
Now now STG blood pressure
Ya gff 😉😆

HH😜

Back