££s in the Bank or success on the field?..?

money talks to DD y PL but not on the park where we need it. Long said they are vampires sucking the life out from the club. we should be so far ahead of any club in scotland but are held back. Money talks. PL and DD keep us in a false battle, they hold us back. yes loads of wonga. DD is falling into the grave investing in money instead of a greater ideal . PL will dig it with his ambition to drive profit. Both feed of a club far above them. TBH the only thing i seen positive about DD was his sour face at the Caley final. He knew.

The players you mention is down to bad scouting so maybe we should be looking at that as well instead of giving the Job tae ‘the boy!’
Project signing haven’t been frees or cheap signings. Go back to Rasmussen

when we signed Larsson he wasn’t getting a game so he wouldn’t command that money just like he couldn’t command bigger wages at the time we signed him that signing was down to the knowledge of Wim and we still nearly f*caked that up over money!
You want me to define ambition how about winning more than 2 games in the champions league in about 10 year or getting parkhead to a home ground of fear instead of being known for the atmosphere that away teams seem to enjoy rather than fear. Just a couple of things to start with
Couldn't agree more and I'm certain that the huge majority of Celtic supporters would also.
Nobody would suggest bankrupting the club or spending beyond our means, everybody wants a financially stable club and we have that , we've had that now for a long time.
Celtic supporters worldwide put so much into the club financially but we haven't seen the same standard of commitment from the board.
Even one so called marque signing would've gone a long way to giving the supporters something.
This financial " constraints" we hear of so often is another smokescreen .
No-one is asking or expecting £15 million signings but if we're being led to believe that Celtic cannot afford a player that may cost £8 million because his wages may be high it's a pig in a poke nonsense.

The genuine quality players like Livakovic who ended up in Turkey for around €6.5 million is out of our budget? Since when?
We've made such outlays before , Livakovic is just one example there's a great piece in the Celtic Star about exactly this the other day , Podence ended up on loan in Greece, as far as I'm aware we are a richer club than any club from Greece and the only top flight British club in the worlds top 50 profitable clubs to post profits over the last 10 years in total.

Both examples here are of a decent age and have sell on value.
Celtics board will have to face this or face a backlash from the supporters our record in Europe is quite simply pathetic, so pathetic I think we have one of if not the worst win ratio of any club that's competed the new format.

All Celtic supporters are aware that the club is looking to settle with over 20 survivors of the horror story and that's going to cost a lot , though it could never be enough.

Sitting as Scottish champions at the end of each season is always the target and we've been lucky enough to witness a golden era of this domestic dominance.
Sitting on our laurels all happy with that alone isn't enough for a club like Celtic's supporters who have seen in living memory 3 European finals.
To have no ambition to make inroads in Europe is unacceptable especially given the finances available for actually winning and even drawing a single fixture in that tournament.

If things don't change at some point I could see supporters taking action in whatever way and no surprise if , rightly or wrongly lawells the focal point again of the fans ire.

Millions in the bank is good for the board and makes for a healthy club but if no ambition to build from that position of strength and health on the field of play is shown, then those in charge are being negligent through inaction and are short changing the fans.
Fans want security and success.
Fans deserve these things for the support we deliver financially, we most certainly deserve a board to make an effort to deliver a level of success.
It's a two way street, there'd be no millions in the bank were it not for the fans, we haven't invested our earnings into the club to see huge bonuses divied out to the board at the end of each financial year.

Last edited:
Net present value

Its a decision tool

If the asset you want diminshes returns then its a bad investment.

The wage problem imo is the factor preventing club from signing better players because if they diminish returns club is not growing.

Short term club has cash to spend but if the wages of dude we want to sign is Net present value negative then its bad signing.

The Champ manager theory of you will get your money back through extra income in europe- thats not how it works.

Thats exactly why Sevco are in a bind. Thet keep buying Net present value negative players.

Even when they get good run in Europe they dont make enough to cover the costs involved with the wage structure they are doing which imo is the champ manager theory. or the ice berg theory if you like.

We bought him for 3 million thats the bit of iceberg you read about but the real kick in the stones in the hidden wage costs.

Therefore you must pay wages that give you room to grow factoring in the income you expect to get if all things go to plan (sensible plan that is)

Short term you can go over your wage threshold for club Net Present value positive if you have cash in bank.

But your still going backwards.

You must buy players who are willing to accept your wage limits. Or else you will need to sell your assets at poor prices when the cash burn out. If the grade of player you need refuses the wage limits then you change limits and increase risk that the pack of cards theory happens. Thats exactly why the horde press push for the self destruct goading.

if you get a player willing to play at wage structure then you have an asset. if you pay more than the limit he is a liability even if he makes fans happy with silky play.

Thats exactly what killed horde.

This nonsense about just buy better players we have 70 million is just nonsense. Short term overspending on assets that dont add value on and off pitch kills your club. it might not kill it instantly if you have money in bank. but its step in wrong direction and it will need to be rectified later and that can get your club into a hole like Sevco are in. Overspending on wages helps the horde and if the extra spending doesnt win you more games than before you spent it then it was money thrown down a hole. And unless your an escobar throwing money doon a hole leads to a really bad place (in fact it eventually led to a really bad place even for escobar- pan breed).

its not ambitious to buy net present value negative assets. its lunacy. And it will lead to folding like a pack of cards if it is not reversed and pronto. its exactly what had to happen under oniel. club was going backwards despite having good team. And club had to rebuild with lesser wage players. because thats the law of economics. if you arent bringing in enough money to cover your costs then you are in stoosh.

You cant build better team if better costs more than value it adds. So you must build within your wage structures. And if the player you want doesnt accept your wage limit. then you cant afford him. its that simple. could you say heres your wage with us and heres x amount up front from cash reserves? yes but if that diminishes the value added your going backwards.

Net present value investment is the only way club can grow. if you dont field the best team you can then you will not win league and take hefty loss. So priority is maximise playing talent by maximising the best wages you can afford and stay sustainable.

Spend the money on value added players only.

Oh and pounds in bank or success on field is a nonsense loaded question. Success on field puts money in the bank but only if the investments are net present value. having no success on field equals net present value negative and you are going backwards. So maximising the strength of your squad is imperative to gain your maximum income.
Spending money in bank on players who dont add a thin dime to the future income is lunacy short term sighted and will bite you. Not maximising your playing squad will also bite you. But the aim is win league and give the league champions crack at europe they have earned and add value to team if it can be done with players who are willing to play for wages you can afford.

Last edited:
I just think that anyone who is part of a sports team - whether players/athletes, coaches or officials - who doesn't have a desire to win and to strive for maximum performance shouldn't be there. We aren't asking the board to bankrupt the club, like the other mob did and are still doing, but there is no point in having £70M in the bank and projects when we could have say £40M and a few CL standard players.

Champions league and Bayern ripping up the Bundeslga.

Harry Kane salary at FC Bayern Munich Per year, Kane will net an astonishing £25m, which sees him pocket a staggering £480k per week over the length of his four year contract. Meaning the England marksman is set to make £100m if he stays with Bayern for the duration of the contract.

You could buy 7/8 players from Dutch league Portugal some players from England etc etc if a team has a player worth 8 million and one that's 2 million then the one at 8 million 9 times out of 10 is the better player (Jota Édouard are examples) and ofcourse players would want to come here to play infont of 60 thousand and also to play on Europe and also the chance to move to a bigger club...
You're proving my point: Something I've always said, and it's a hill that I'll fight and die on, is that you can buy a lot of people for the money that we spend on mediocre talent. That includes players from Asia -- which Ange Postecoglou did -- and even from this hemisphere (by the way, I'm in the U.S., in case you didn't know).
Our fanbase is getting smaller every year sadly and only way to get kids interested in Celtic again (especially in countries like Ireland and America etc and even Scotland to certain extent) is for them to see us in Europe......going to Dublin now you think you where in Manchester or Liverpool
Not sure I agree with this. Speaking for fans in the U.S., of which I am one, we're for Celtic win, lose or draw and there are many intangibles regarding fan support other than Europe.

You're proving my point: Something I've always said, and it's a hill that I'll fight and die on, is that you can buy a lot of people for the money that we spend on mediocre talent.
You are correct Larry, but you can only play 11 players on the pitch at one time, so that is why it would be nice to augment our "projects" with a sprinkling of first team ready upgrades.

Asia has been very fruitful recently, North America under utilised, as has Scandinavia & Eastern Europe to an extent.

I just think that anyone who is part of a sports team - whether players/athletes, coaches or officials - who doesn't have a desire to win and to strive for maximum performance shouldn't be there. We aren't asking the board to bankrupt the club, like the other mob did and are still doing, but there is no point in having £70M in the bank and projects when we could have say £40M and a few CL standard players.
Neil if the board members had to input cash to celtic like ourselves,then you would see a different attitude!!they would want a better calibre of player in the team!that’s not a slight at the guys we have at present,we all know if you want to go to next level then players need to be next level?really would like to know what each board member contributes if anything??

Back