££s in the Bank or success on the field?..?

That’s what I can’t grasp with this lot and why i go on and on about them.
You have 60,000 paying punters, surely you'd want to provide the best product for them considering their loyalty and their annual stipend plus merch and extra tickets.
Rather than 52 million (barrowfield aside) doing SFA, a balance could have been 30 million in the bank gathering dust. The other 22 million could have been used to buy 3/4 players further on in their development along with 4 projects instead of the 8/9 we did buy. The other 10 could have been used to cover the uplift in wages over the duration of their contracts. There are no guarantees, but if Mark Lawwell is the chosen one, have some fecking faith in him.
You may pay 3/4/5 million extra but your getting a player that should be wiser and further along in development, thats still got a bit to go yet.

I also don't accept that we can't attract a level of player better than we have.
The last 10 years are littered with crackers and we have a few gems now, another 3/4 and we could really be a talented 11. But you have to be willing.

While we’re at opposite sides of the financial spectrum, it works in our favour that we’re next door to the richest footballing country in the world. We get exposure that other countries don't.
I’m sure there’s the exception to the rule (Jota is an example), but almost every big money sale has been to an English club. Now i know that our league is not the best but its no coincidence that almost all of our big money sales have performed in CL. These English teams buy based on that exposure not what they do in SPFL. It helps that they played in fairly decent teams.

So i'm surprised that the business model isn't polishing potential gems instead buying youngster miles away from CL ready. The other night Jagerbielke's 2 bookings were just naive and the bhoy Holm is just a fucking idiot as well as a tidy player. It was their first CL games, they've maybe never even been in a stadium as a supporter for a CL game at that level. Thats what the manager was left with and i reallt don't blame him for that, but you have to take that medicine when your blooding kids at that level.

We effectively paid Benfica 11 million odds for Jota to make 16 million so theyve done it before, why not again. They showed a bit of creativity to get Jota/Edouard/CCV, it has been done.
I get that the names Barkas/Ajeti are out there, but whoever bought them wanted their jotters, ludicrous signings who left us to go to erm, er....... they found their level.

But it is summed up best by our chairmans recent comments on the bank balance
'It is important to highlight that, given the increasing gap between the sums able to be earned between the Champions League and the Europa League, it is vital that we retain a cash buffer in reserve. History tells us that we will not always qualify for the Champions League and the benefit of holding cash reserves affords us the optionality of managing through seasons where we participate in the Europa League with the ability to retain our squad as opposed to selling key players to bridge the income shortfall between both competitions.

'as opposed to selling key players to bridge the income shortfall between both competitions',
FFS they've sold every cracker we've had and will continue to do so if the right offer is on the table so this is utter pish'

'we will not always qualify for the Champions League and the benefit of holding cash',
aye not while you lot are in fucking charge we wont. A coefficient that puts us straight into the group stages if we beat a basket case in the SPFL, surely to feck you could try and raise the bar to protect your coefficient, maybe even improve it, fuck win 2 out of 6 games and you get 5 million quid. Instead this cunts planning for when we end up where they've reduced us to.

Imagine one of them showed a bit of initiative, here's the deal, we'll set up a bank account 'the transfer fund' and supporters can pay whatever they want into it, it will go straight to the transfer budget and they have provide what they would year on year. Now i know a lot of guys pay a lot already, but there's hundreds of thousands/possibly a million out there like me that don't have a book or stay overseas. I would happily pay £20-£30 a week to that.
Instead we're penny pinching incase we have a bad year, FFS your jobs to make sure we don't by putting the fans resources where it really matters.

Thats what running our club's while ruining our clubs standing.
In my opinion, the cash buffer that Lawell refers to, is earmarked for future dividend payment in years of poor profit, of which Desmond will be the main beneficiary. Dividends can only be paid out of profits. Either current profits or retained profits. They will be declared when it is tax beneficial for Desmond to do so.

Remember the money in the bank, will be possibly earmarked for recently announced capital spending projects like the new barrowfield training centre and possibly new main stand to complete the stadium as well as fan zones around the stadium to enhance the match day experience
The fan zones are a great untapped money maker , at the moment, 95% on fans /2 hr before the game starts, but it you encourage the to come 2-3hr earlier they’ll spend loads of money
Barrowfield will be worth the expense. The board recently poo-pooed the thought of starting the desperately needed & long overdue main stand upgrade and the fans-zone is going to be a cash-cow that will bring in much more money than it cost in a fairly short time.

With over £70m idling in the bank, another profit this summer's transfer window, compensation for Ange, even bigger income from sold-out tickets and increased UEFA Champions League participation money means this fan-zone is going to be like Las Vegas! If that is where we are going to be spending this money.

Barrowfield will be worth the expense. The board recently poo-pooed the thought of starting the desperately needed & long overdue main stand upgrade and the fans-zone is going to be a cash-cow that will bring in much more money than it cost in a fairly short time.

With over £70m idling in the bank, another profit this summer's transfer window, compensation for Ange, even bigger income from sold-out tickets and increased UEFA Champions League participation money means this fan-zone is going to be like Las Vegas! If that is where we are going to be spending this money.
I thought Ange was on a rolling contract and that we wouldn't be compensated.

In my opinion, the cash buffer that Lawell refers to, is earmarked for future dividend payment in years of poor profit, of which Desmond will be the main beneficiary. Dividends can only be paid out of profits. Either current profits or retained profits. They will be declared when it is tax beneficial for Desmond to do so.

I think you can add our second largest shareholder - investment fund Lindsell Train - to that assertion as well...

I thought Ange was on a rolling contract and that we wouldn't be compensated.

I think I'm right in saying, under the terms of a 12 month rolling contract each party has to give the other party 12 months notice of termination.

Spurs obviously wanted Ange straight away so they had to negotiate a severance payment with Celtic as a consequence.

In reverse, had Celtic wanted to have got shot of Ange, they would have had to negotiate a settlement with him as per the terms of the stipulated contract.

If having been given 12 months notice of termination, Ange, or anyone else on a 12 month rolling contract, would have effectively be on what may be referred to as paid gardening leave for a period of up to 12 months.

However if he wanted to take up a new role with another club within that 12 month period, I believe he would possibly only have been paid up to the date he began the new role, or up to a date mutually agreed upon.

That's how I understand these contracts work...

This is my take on the money on the bank, and what I've read between the lines.

So much chat from the club in regards the players brought in being "potential" and for the "future". We have signed these players on 4-5yr contacts which is much larger than the 3yrs that are normally given out.

Rogers always says he's a coach and is at the club to make players better. We have a unbelieveable young squad (it showed against feyenoord). With money in the back we have the advantage of keeping these players for longer with the exception of a Jota like offer.

This to me could be a unique way of competing in the champions league, in 2 or 3 years time, these players will all have 10-20 game experience in Europe rather than nothing. Look how Scotland have improved with game experience.....is our club going down the same route?

Could be risky but noval way to competeing at the top?

So much chat from the club in regards the players brought in being "potential" and for the "future". We have signed these players on 4-5yr contacts which is much larger than the 3yrs that are normally given out.

Rogers always says he's a coach and is at the club to make players better. We have a unbelieveable young squad (it showed against feyenoord). With money in the back we have the advantage of keeping these players for longer with the exception of a Jota like offer.

This to me could be a unique way of competing in the champions league, in 2 or 3 years time, these players will all have 10-20 game experience in Europe rather than nothing. Look how Scotland have improved with game experience.....is our club going down the same route?

A possible explanation. But we have been following this strategy for years now and even though we make profits every year (except for Covid) and never progress to the next stage despite having huge amount in the bank now.

We know that we are still going to buy projects to develop and sell on but it would be good to strengthen by buying a couple of more experienced players as well to strengthen the side.

The downside with your suggestion is that after 2 or 3 seasons of UCL the players want to move on for more cash and other clubs cherrypick the best. So we never reach this utopia of the young squad developing together.

Aye but DD has 6% cumulative preference shares
These are treated as a debt until converted to equity. In the last accounts he received a dividend of circa 500k which he takes every year in extra shares and had done for the 30 odd years
I think I'm right in saying, under the terms of a 12 month rolling contract each party has to give the other party 12 months notice of termination.

Spurs obviously wanted Ange straight away so they had to negotiate a severance payment with Celtic as a consequence.

In reverse, had Celtic wanted to have got shot of Ange, they would have had to negotiate a settlement with him as per the terms of the stipulated contract.

If having been given 12 months notice of termination, Ange, or anyone else on a 12 month rolling contract, would have effectively be on what may be referred to as paid gardening leave for a period of up to 12 months.

However if he wanted to take up a new role with another club within that 12 month period, I believe he would possibly only have been paid up to the date he began the new role, or up to a date mutually agreed upon.

That's how I understand these contracts work...
we received 13.5 million in exceptional items
A combination of anges compensation and covid 19 business interruption payout from insurers
Paying 7.5 million in tax, 4.5 last year 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

If we are we’re more likely to sign up Sandy Clark than Stevie

HH😉

These are treated as a debt until converted to equity. In the last accounts he received a dividend of circa 500k which he takes every year in extra shares and had done for the 30 odd years

A combination of anges compensation and covid 19 business interruption payout from insurers
Makes sense to convert his dividends into 6% Cumulative Preference Shares. 6% per annum guaranteed is an excellent return that he would be unlikely to get elsewhere. I'm just surprised the ordinary dividend declared is not higher, so he can get a greater take to convert.

Last edited:

I now nominate you G-love as the Noise's very own accountant. All Financial results should now be analysed by your good self and outcomes reported in layman's terms.

in quieter momments i wonder why you would be allowed to put a child ( of your own) in a place of major decisions that you once took, but went against you.

Back