A Celtic Noise question for Ange Postecoglou

I think we lose goals from set pieces because it’s one of the few ways the opposition get to put the ball in our box as our outfield defensive displays are so strong. So logic tells you if we lose goals, which we will, then set plays are the most likely.
However, I do think questions need to be asked about attacking set plays, of which we get a lot, as to why we don’t make more use of them.
I think It was Liverpool who appointed a throw in coach.
Can we not do better?
HH

I enjoy watching Angeball when it's in proper full-flow, but the question I'd really like to ask is, is if he can envisage playing that same style, but with a point man (Jackie) and an off-the-shoulder number (Kyogo/Maeda)?

I like the current width we gave in our play, but the dividends aren't quite paying out. We can still play short, crisp and into feet, but when you have a great exponent of the diagonal like Calmac, would it not be worth varying it every now and then, just to ask the question of congested defences.

I noticed that Calmac tried it quite a few times against Dundee recently and it almost paid off. The only issue was, was that he was trying to hit Maeda immediately, instead of allowing him to feed off the ball being played into Giakamakis first. Big Jackie is a weapon (in the best sense of the word), why not try it?

Even if a defender gets in before him, the best it's going to be (for the defender) is a loose ball kicking about in a dangerous area.

I enjoy watching Angeball when it's in proper full-flow, but the question I'd really like to ask is, is if he can envisage playing that same style, but with a point man (Jackie) and an off-the-shoulder number (Kyogo/Maeda)?

I like the current width we gave in our play, but the dividends aren't quite paying out. We can still play short, crisp and into feet, but when you have a great exponent of the diagonal like Calmac, would it not be worth varying it every now and then, just to ask the question of congested defences.

I noticed that Calmac tried it quite a few times against Dundee recently and it almost paid off. The only issue was, was that he was trying to hit Maeda immediately, instead of allowing him to feed off the ball being played into Giakamakis first. Big Jackie is a weapon (in the best sense of the word), why not try it?

Even if a defender gets in before him, the best it's going to be (for the defender) is a loose ball kicking about in a dangerous area.
I would like to think SP it's an area we could potentially expand upon next season.
The current game has become so tactical these days especially with team formations with and without the ball.
I agree with you that having the likes of a Maeda or kyogo playing off a GG has all the potential of being an even more dangerous attacking force and well able to still keep the width Ange likes to play with making the pitch as big as possible.
To do so would possibly meaning having to change to a 3 at the back with the likes of josip and hateta as potential wing backs, so hence going for a 352 or a 3412.
Have enjoyed the 433 formation and paid great dividends so far this season and got a squad getting more confident and comfortable playing the likes, yet there have been occasions our wingers as such have been very isolated against the anti football Park the bus teams still at times also.
Always believed that a team, especially like ourselves needs more than just the one available option to them, mainly due to the vastly different approach teams take when playing against us still.
But for a brand new team put together to what it has already shown has been arguably the best feat I have ever witnessed with the time factor involved and more pleasing still, is I strongly believe that this team still have plenty of room to become even stronger next season still in its all round game with more varied options available to them still if they wished imo.

Back