A transfer, clickbait, football news of any kind & in general just whats on your mind thread

Seeing this yesterday in the Celtic Star, stunned me a bit to learn its 39 years to the ( yester)day now.

I was just a young bhoy, 2 months short of my 11th birthday & super excited to be at jam packed to the rafters Parkhead.

The air was crackling with electricity, in anticipation of disposing of the great Brian Clough's Forest side & we had brought a goalless draw back from Nottingham and expectation was high.
Especially after ' that' incredible turnaround from 2-0 defeat in Lisbon to the immortal 5-0 crushing of them ( sporting) at CP the round previous.

I was at that game as well and remember cheering Sporting onto the pitch thinking they were Celtic in their green and white hoops, only when I started to notice wee differences like the black in about it etc , embarrassed I was admittedly but gies a break I was 10 😳

A truly huge crowd , I was jammed tight into the lower Celtic end close to the joining where you could walk through to the Jungle, not tonight though.
You found a step with a view and stuck to it and there my 2 brothers and I remained for 90minutes, like sardines, or cattle.

Can also remember reports from after the game , in the papers , no mobile phones ( how did we survive?) ,
Saying that this was the first time Celtic had sold out to capacity since 1980 Real Madrid game and that was total nonsense.

Bearing in mind this was the regime of the Kelly's and Whites who almost buried us, the tannoy said 66,000 and the ( quite normal and regular by now ironic jeers went around the stadium,
There was obviously easily 75-80,000 in CP that night, well over 70,000 but they were fiddling the books not unlike another Glasgow club did many years later.

You could ask how would I know?
Being only 10 at the time and that would be a fair question but I'd answer it with I was also at both the Ajax 2-2 1st leg game the season before, which is still the loudest atmosphere I've ever known and that attendance was given as 56,000 and laughable it was so blatant, even worse when we went through to face Real Sociedad next round and the full stadium capacity attendance was now lower 😆 about 54,000 , how they got away with this for so long was unreal.

Screenshot_20221207-091312_OneFootball.jpg

Great memories and the biggest football crowds I've ever been in til this day .
Folk who knew better were guestimating Ajax, Sociedad and Forest gates as closer to 90,000 and if you were there and many of you were youd have no problem agreeing with that.

We had a great side then .

Anyways , memories , great ones and I can barely believe that was 39 years ago.
Where all that time gone?

Once had a discussion with a Celtic director of that time about the attendance given out, he asked me if I'd ever double shuffled into a home game, well aye I did, and did I think I was the only one he said... Fair point and the lifts over as well, still I think the pockle was in but maybe not as bad as we thought though... 2️⃣❌2️⃣ = 5️⃣

Once had a discussion with a Celtic director of that time about the attendance given out, he asked me if I'd ever double shuffled into a home game, well aye I did, and did I think I was the only one he said... Fair point and the lifts over as well, still I think the pockle was in but maybe not as bad as we thought though... 2️⃣❌2️⃣ = 5️⃣
Another one that sticks in all our minds was the centenary winning game in '88
3- 0 v Dundee .
That official attendance was given at the time as 60,000 but years later directors confirmed it was at least 72,000 with gates locked , thousands locked out , thousands moved from Celtic end to rangers end along the touchline as the game played on 😅
Unbelievable

3- 0 v Dundee .
That official attendance was given at the time as 60,000 but years later directors confirmed it was at least 72,000 with gates locked , thousands locked out , thousands moved from Celtic end to rangers end along the touchline as the game played on 😅
Unbelievable

Remember being at a game at Somerset Park in 72-73ish the crowd was massive I'm sure a wall behind one of the goals collapsed, next day the papers had the crowd as 6000 it was far more than that .

3- 0 v Dundee .
Unbelievable

Remember it well. Got into the back of the Celtic end and couldn't move.

3- 0 v Dundee .
Unbelievable

I was at that game, standing under the electric pylon in the Celtic end, can confirm, we were packed in like sardines, even the wee man wi the spearmint chewing gum and the macaroon bars couldnae dae his rounds 🤣🤣

"We are pleased to advise that since the last report, we continued extensive and collaborative discussions with HMRC to reach a negotiated resolution in relation to the remaining elements of the claim.
After significant input from BDO’s Tax Dispute Resolution team, together with our legal advisors, we were able to reach a composite settlement of £56m for the whole of the HMRC claim. Formal settlement documentation will ensure that HMRC will not raise any further claims in the liquidation.

The agreed settlement with HMRC reflects the outcome of the Supreme Court decision in 2017. This composite settlement represents an agreed reduction to HMRC’s initial submitted claim in the liquidation.

As a result, all other unsecured creditors should receive dividends totalling approximately 5.3p in the £ more than they would have otherwise received. It also negates the need for further protracted litigation which could have been costly to the liquidation estate.
The Joint Liquidators have been in consultation with the Committee and it was agreed that the composite settlement of £56m was a positive outcome for the creditors."
Aye but ur they deid or still on Lie support
Fingers crossed 🤞 thur deid

HH 🤞

I fucking dispare, is this what we've come down to? just because a major fast food outlet mentions us in a fucking tweet an thats fucking 'brilliant', give me strength. OK i dont really 'do' twitter.
I dont see the importance of it, a bunch of cnuts slagging eachother aff.
Do me a fucking favour if i dont get all excited cos JJ got a fucking mention. I'd rather we keep him for as long as poss. Instead of putting him in the shop windae cos he had a good game.
Fuckit im fuckin ragin. Away tae ma bed.

I fucking dispare, is this what we've come down to? just because a major fast food outlet mentions us in a fucking tweet an thats fucking 'brilliant', give me strength. OK i dont really 'do' twitter.
I dont see the importance of it, a bunch of cnuts slagging eachother aff.
Do me a fucking favour if i dont get all excited cos JJ got a fucking mention. I'd rather we keep him for as long as poss. Instead of putting him in the shop windae cos he had a good game.
Fuckit im fuckin ragin. Away tae ma bed.
I have a twitter account but have never posted on it. Certainly won't now that my least favourite African American has bought it and turned it into a Fascist troll garden.

Members online

Latest posts

Back