Alloa v Celtic Scottish Cup

“Liel and Yosuke should be okay, I don’t see anything too major with them, but, obviously, Cal is a significant one and a disappointing one.
The key is the fifth round is at home. We’ve seen tonight, irrespective of the opposition how tricky it is when you play away from home.
So having it at home with our pitch and our supporters is an advantage for us.
“It was a challenge. I still thought we should have won more comfortably than we did, we missed some chances and we overplayed things a little bit in the first half in particular.
“It’s not easy on this pitch, we know that but, as I said, I thought we could have made our night a little bit more comfortable.
We understand it’s a cup competition and the most important thing is you get through to the next round and give yourselves an opportunity, that’s the main thing.’
There were quite a few guys that got some game time tonight which was important for us because they hadn’t played in quite a while.
From that point of view it was good that we did that and hopefully that helps us move forward.
Obviously Giorgos Giakoumakis didn’t play much in the first half of the season so it was good for him to start and good for him to score.
He’ll get better, there are still parts of his game that he will improve on because he hasn’t played for quite a while, but as a striker it’s good that he got his goal.
Every game is going to be tough, every game is a challenge and we’ve just got to keep building on what we’ve been doing.
We’re overcoming the challenges and there will be another one on Wednesday night but I’m looking forward to it.”
-Ange Postecoglou 🍀

You are entitled to your opinion. But this time I think you're way off the mark. You seem to be another starfelt hater. And before anyone says anything, I know he has had a few poor games, but people seem to be blinkered to everyone else's mistakes. Calmac had misplaced several passes tonight as had McCarthy. But calmac is infallible. He done the same in the last match, yet no-one seemed to notice or highlight it. Even John hartson tried to hang the blame for their goal on starfelt and when he realised it was Welsh who was at fault he quickly moved on. Ralston gave away numerous balls tonight. Where has anyone highlighted this? I'm no lover of starfelt even though I started his appreciation thread, which was a piss take. But I find it unreal that anyone could highlight him tonight for being poor, when you could have put most of the team in front of him for criticism, if that's what you're into.
Give the man a break!
I wont hide Deadner and say maybe I got it wrong this is my opinion of the guy, and you are right there were more than him at fault last night.I definitely dont hate Starfelt he is just a guy who is doing the best he can every week but as I said Deadner it is a game of opinions and my opinion he is not good enough for Celtic.You are right about Ralston he had a bad game tonight as did Callum and probably a couple of other players,but although I named Starfelt,the first comment I made last night was..This was a car crash tonight,,you obviously think Starfelt is Celtic class mate but I dont think he ever will be.I only hope Julien can get himself fit to play alongside Carter-Vickers which is my choice of centre backs but as we know Deadner there is no guarantee they will partner well together,once again mate right or wrong it is only my opinion.

HH

Aye, I love The Cup weekend's. Day oot, we gamble, a bevvy & wall to wall football, started with Auchinleck v Edinburgh Huns, Auchinleck were a bit of a let down tae be honest. Then down tae The Rock tae watch Dumbarton v Dundee, the sons went down tae 10 men just before halftime, then in 2nd half stupid pen & Griff stepped up & tucked it away, back tae the local tae watch Alloa v Celtic game, nowt but a bunch of thugs imo, then met Mrs went for a meal & back tae the pub till chuckin oot time.

Roll on the next Cup Weekend Partick v Dundee Utd game us the one chosen for a wee day oot

I wont hide Deadner and say maybe I got it wrong this is my opinion of the guy, and you are right there were more than him at fault last night.I definitely dont hate Starfelt he is just a guy who is doing the best he can every week but as I said Deadner it is a game of opinions and my opinion he is not good enough for Celtic.You are right about Ralston he had a bad game tonight as did Callum and probably a couple of other players,but although I named Starfelt,the first comment I made last night was..This was a car crash tonight,,you obviously think Starfelt is Celtic class mate but I dont think he ever will be.I only hope Julien can get himself fit to play alongside Carter-Vickers which is my choice of centre backs but as we know Deadner there is no guarantee they will partner well together,once again mate right or wrong it is only my opinion.

HH
Fair enough GS, and your not alone in thinking Jules and CCV would be our best CB pairing.
Yet I'm curious as to which one would play on the left of the 2 as neither have done so to date.
What I find more strange is no one is prepared to question the weekness within Welsh with the high ball into the box, Why? Because he's young, still got potential? So the question is will he be the Celtic class so many are looking for? Actually what is celtic class nowadays, when we remain looking for bargains in the transfer market we operate in and still lacking in actually bringing through young talent, which still remains better than most still.
Don't mind criticism of players but prefer to see it being done with reasonable points instead of a bit of jumping on the bandwagon that can seem to go on within the support on far to many occasions imo.

Good to see a very honest and gracious exchange between GS and TD. The Noise at it's best. If I can add my tuppencworth, I think it goes without saying, nobody wants to criticise any of our players. Equally, it's good to see TD defending a player who is rapidly becoming the whipping bhoy. I've already given my thoughts on Starfelt, he isn't showing the level of improvement I'd hoped for, and so decision time is approaching for Ange. I hope the bhoy goes on and makes me eat my words. I really want the guy to step up and be a success .i

Fair enough GS, and your not alone in thinking Jules and CCV would be our best CB pairing.
Yet I'm curious as to which one would play on the left of the 2 as neither have done so to date.
What I find more strange is no one is prepared to question the weekness within Welsh with the high ball into the box, Why? Because he's young, still got potential? So the question is will he be the Celtic class so many are looking for? Actually what is celtic class nowadays, when we remain looking for bargains in the transfer market we operate in and still lacking in actually bringing through young talent, which still remains better than most still.
Don't mind criticism of players but prefer to see it being done with reasonable points instead of a bit of jumping on the bandwagon that can seem to go on within the support on far to many occasions imo.
I agree with much of what you say John. As it happens the only CB I'm comfortable with at present is CV. Improvement needed in each and every one of the others.

Good to see a very honest and gracious exchange between GS and TD. The Noise at it's best. If I can add my tuppencworth, I think it goes without saying, nobody wants to criticise any of our players. Equally, it's good to see TD defending a player who is rapidly becoming the whipping bhoy. I've already given my thoughts on Starfelt, he isn't showing the level of improvement I'd hoped for, and so decision time is approaching for Ange. I hope the bhoy goes on and makes me eat my words. I really want the guy to step up and be a success .i
Starfish has shown that he can be good, he was excellent against Hibs, but its a fact that he's had more bad games than good and pointing out that fact doesn't mean I hate the boy! He looks a lot more comfortable when playing next to CCV, he seems to have a calming effect on the entire defence. I'm surprised Julien didn't get some game time last night, he was on the bench wasn't he? Although playing on that surface against those thugs probably wouldn't be the greatest idea after a major knee injury.

Starfish has shown that he can be good, he was excellent against Hibs, but its a fact that he's had more bad games than good and pointing out that fact doesn't mean I hate the boy! He looks a lot more comfortable when playing next to CCV, he seems to have a calming effect on the entire defence. I'm surprised Julien didn't get some game time last night, he was on the bench wasn't he? Although playing on that surface against those thugs probably wouldn't be the greatest idea after a major knee injury.
Yip, a completely accurate and fair appraisal Hoopy. The big man was indeed on the bench, which, if I'm being honest, was s surprise to me . Wouldn't have thought it to be the best surface coming back from injury.

Someone asked a question on why Matt O'riley wasn't in the squad and the answer was international clearance, coming from England you would have thought that shouldn't be a problem with him being signed on Thursday considering Lafferty signed for Kilmarnock from a Cypriot side on Friday as was cleared to play in Saturday.Surely the club should be asking questions as to why this happened. Joe McHugh did a piece on it over on videocelts

If that's the case hoopy then why wasn't CCV used yesterday?
Imo is Ange doesn't feel comfortable with anyone else as the left of a CB partnership, and yet it wouldn't be possibly where starfelt is strongest at either.
CCV has weekness within his game the same as most players have within the values we operate in, and his lack of pace won't get exploited within the Scottish game the same way it could do within European matches.
So here is a question then? Should we be investing so much into CCV when there remains such a cry for a better standard of a left sided CB?
Also remember that Jules, Welsh and starfelt are under contract and all would prefer the right sided CB role and arguable remains more comfortable and better in that role also imo?

Someone asked a question on why Matt O'riley wasn't in the squad and the answer was international clearance, coming from England you would have thought that shouldn't be a problem with him being signed on Thursday considering Lafferty signed for Kilmarnock from a Cypriot side on Friday as was cleared to play in Saturday.Surely the club should be asking questions as to why this happened. Joe McHugh did a piece on it over on videocelts
As the game panned out, I'm more relieved now that he wasn't available, as surely now matt O'Reilly will be needed now on Wednesday.

Members online

Latest posts

Back