Alloa v Celtic Scottish Cup

Amazing the amount a hard bastards coming oot the closet since Scott brown moved on,,,,,no sayin Scott was a nasty player but I imagine he wid whisper the odd threat to a opposition player just to keep them in check if they were dishing it to our skilful players.....miss him.
We don't miss broony for the level of football Ange is looking for us to play nowadays imo, but of course he would be missed on days like what Alloa want to serve up.
I'll make the claim that yesterday was payback for what he gave the scum midweek, and worse still its seems deemed as acceptable.
So I still don't see where broony would have been suited to what Ange is looking for from his teams, yet a place would be available if we don't want to move on to a higher standard imo.

I wont hide Deadner and say maybe I got it wrong this is my opinion of the guy, and you are right there were more than him at fault last night.I definitely dont hate Starfelt he is just a guy who is doing the best he can every week but as I said Deadner it is a game of opinions and my opinion he is not good enough for Celtic.You are right about Ralston he had a bad game tonight as did Callum and probably a couple of other players,but although I named Starfelt,the first comment I made last night was..This was a car crash tonight,,you obviously think Starfelt is Celtic class mate but I dont think he ever will be.I only hope Julien can get himself fit to play alongside Carter-Vickers which is my choice of centre backs but as we know Deadner there is no guarantee they will partner well together,once again mate right or wrong it is only my opinion.

HH
For me it's not about whether anyone is Celtic class (whatever that is) or not. It's the fact that some players, and in this case (again) it's starfelt who you pointed out for making mistakes, when in actual fact, he has been one of our better players in the last two games. There seems to be certain players at celtic who get a free pass, week in week out no matter how bad they play. Calmac has been brutal in the last two games, but nobody has pointed this out, but that's calmac, you can't say that about him. I could go on, but you get my point. And it's not that I have any love for starfelt, he's fair game the same as the rest, but only if he deserves it. I was brought up to always stick up for the underdog and in this case that happens to be the Swedish maldini!

We don't miss broony for the level of football Ange is looking for us to play nowadays imo, but of course he would be missed on days like what Alloa want to serve up.
I'll make the claim that yesterday was payback for what he gave the scum midweek, and worse still its seems deemed as acceptable.
So I still don't see where broony would have been suited to what Ange is looking for from his teams, yet a place would be available if we don't want to move on to a higher standard imo.
A don’t mean Scott as a player!tho a young Scott brown would fit right in that midfield,,,just keepin the ball moving..

Aye, I love The Cup weekend's. Day oot, we gamble, a bevvy & wall to wall football, started with Auchinleck v Edinburgh Huns, Auchinleck were a bit of a let down tae be honest. Then down tae The Rock tae watch Dumbarton v Dundee, the sons went down tae 10 men just before halftime, then in 2nd half stupid pen & Griff stepped up & tucked it away, back tae the local tae watch Alloa v Celtic game, nowt but a bunch of thugs imo, then met Mrs went for a meal & back tae the pub till chuckin oot time.

Roll on the next Cup Weekend Partick v Dundee Utd game us the one chosen for a wee day oot
Sounds like you enjoyed a full day TT
HH

Good to see a very honest and gracious exchange between GS and TD. The Noise at it's best. If I can add my tuppencworth, I think it goes without saying, nobody wants to criticise any of our players. Equally, it's good to see TD defending a player who is rapidly becoming the whipping bhoy. I've already given my thoughts on Starfelt, he isn't showing the level of improvement I'd hoped for, and so decision time is approaching for Ange. I hope the bhoy goes on and makes me eat my words. I really want the guy to step up and be a success .i
I would love to see Starfelt prove us both wrong Frank,I would have no problem eating half that humble pie.

HH

Fair enough GS, and your not alone in thinking Jules and CCV would be our best CB pairing.
Yet I'm curious as to which one would play on the left of the 2 as neither have done so to date.
What I find more strange is no one is prepared to question the weekness within Welsh with the high ball into the box, Why? Because he's young, still got potential? So the question is will he be the Celtic class so many are looking for? Actually what is celtic class nowadays, when we remain looking for bargains in the transfer market we operate in and still lacking in actually bringing through young talent, which still remains better than most still.
Don't mind criticism of players but prefer to see it being done with reasonable points instead of a bit of jumping on the bandwagon that can seem to go on within the support on far to many occasions imo.
I understand John what you are saying,what is Celtic class nowadays,the only way I could answer that is by saying,,it is the best we can get,, so it would look like I have contradicted myself mate when I said Carl Starfelt was not Celtic class when obviously he is because he is the best we could get.
Who would you play on the left mate thats the $64000 question,I am sure Ange will have been smart enough to have decided on who plays right and who plays left.If you ask me where I think Matt O,Riley will play on Wednesday I will have a better chance of answering you..As regards to Welsh and high balls I dont think he is as good in the air as I would like but that is how I feel about the three of them but if I had to choose only one centre back it is CCV all day long,not be cause he is blessed with skill but because he will go through the wall in front of him just like Bobo did..
If you asked me who I would play on the left if Bobo was still around,I dont think it would matter mate..

HH

For me it's not about whether anyone is Celtic class (whatever that is) or not. It's the fact that some players, and in this case (again) it's starfelt who you pointed out for making mistakes, when in actual fact, he has been one of our better players in the last two games. There seems to be certain players at celtic who get a free pass, week in week out no matter how bad they play. Calmac has been brutal in the last two games, but nobody has pointed this out, but that's calmac, you can't say that about him. I could go on, but you get my point. And it's not that I have any love for starfelt, he's fair game the same as the rest, but only if he deserves it. I was brought up to always stick up for the underdog and in this case that happens to be the Swedish maldini!
100% correct Deadner in what you said,I apologise to everybody on the Noise for the comment I made about Carl Starfelt,this guy is obviously Celtic class or he would not be at Celtic,I know Starfelt gets singled out at times because I am one of the guilty party but I dont think it is a witch hunt mate
I definitely think it is what people see and this is why they comment on it.
Bottom line Deadner,I get your point mate,I hope the big fella realises he has a champion fighting his corner for him.

HH

I understand John what you are saying,what is Celtic class nowadays,the only way I could answer that is by saying,,it is the best we can get,, so it would look like I have contradicted myself mate when I said Carl Starfelt was not Celtic class when obviously he is because he is the best we could get.
Who would you play on the left mate thats the $64000 question,I am sure Ange will have been smart enough to have decided on who plays right and who plays left.If you ask me where I think Matt O,Riley will play on Wednesday I will have a better chance of answering you..As regards to Welsh and high balls I dont think he is as good in the air as I would like but that is how I feel about the three of them but if I had to choose only one centre back it is CCV all day long,not be cause he is blessed with skill but because he will go through the wall in front of him just like Bobo did..
If you asked me who I would play on the left if Bobo was still around,I dont think it would matter mate..

HH
I've always claimed in today's modern game that the partnership between keeper and the 2CB has to be somewhat the strongest in terms of winning league titles, and the glory boy's of the strike force will get most of the credits for doing so.
The culture of if you don't conceed you can't lose a game still exists, but nowadays supporters want to win, so scoring goals is a bigger focus.
Yet it becomes far easier to accept a player with scoring goals than the ones involved in them being conceded more so.
So to answer your question GS, I don't see any such competition to starfelt in the left side of a CB partnership at present.
Did think Ange might have taken the risk of changing to a 3 during the break, which would possibly have bought scales and maybe Dane Murray into the reckoning more so in terms of competition for places, but Ange hasn't shown any interest in it so far, and that's OK also as it's his decision in the end and nothing warrants anything to say he is wrong either.
Will he stick with a back 4? I think so now until the end of the season, but who knows next season still.
Will be interesting to see what happens when and if Jules returns, and possibly will give us more options available, but yet to see if they are actually better, cause bare in mind Jules hasn't really played alongside any of the current 3 CB options used this season still.

I've always claimed in today's modern game that the partnership between keeper and the 2CB has to be somewhat the strongest in terms of winning league titles, and the glory boy's of the strike force will get most of the credits for doing so.
The culture of if you don't conceed you can't lose a game still exists, but nowadays supporters want to win, so scoring goals is a bigger focus.
Yet it becomes far easier to accept a player with scoring goals than the ones involved in them being conceded more so.
So to answer your question GS, I don't see any such competition to starfelt in the left side of a CB partnership at present.
Did think Ange might have taken the risk of changing to a 3 during the break, which would possibly have bought scales and maybe Dane Murray into the reckoning more so in terms of competition for places, but Ange hasn't shown any interest in it so far, and that's OK also as it's his decision in the end and nothing warrants anything to say he is wrong either.
Will he stick with a back 4? I think so now until the end of the season, but who knows next season still.
Will be interesting to see what happens when and if Jules returns, and possibly will give us more options available, but yet to see if they are actually better, cause bare in mind Jules hasn't really played alongside any of the current 3 CB options used this season still.
Terrific debate folks. One of the interesting things about it is the fact that it seems to be the only position in the team we are concerned about. Compare that with six months ago ! Progress indeed.

100% correct Deadner in what you said,I apologise to everybody on the Noise for the comment I made about Carl Starfelt,this guy is obviously Celtic class or he would not be at Celtic,I know Starfelt gets singled out at times because I am one of the guilty party but I dont think it is a witch hunt mate
Bottom line Deadner,I get your point mate,I hope the big fella realises he has a champion fighting his corner for him.

HH
Stick to your guns GS ....if you think Starfelts shite thats your opinion ..no need for apologies .HH

Terrific debate folks. One of the interesting things about it is the fact that it seems to be the only position in the team we are concerned about. Compare that with six months ago ! Progress indeed.
And that progress that has been made Frank has somewhat gone far to unnoticed still.
I no longer have the head in the hands every time a corner is given away or a free kick within our own half now. Don't see attackers running through the gaping holes in the back line unchallenged either.
Not saying we remain perfect but hell of a lot better to where we were a year ago still, and all relatively new so in theory only stand to get better imo.

And that progress that has been made Frank has somewhat gone far to unnoticed still.
I no longer have the head in the hands every time a corner is given away or a free kick within our own half now. Don't see attackers running through the gaping holes in the back line unchallenged either.
Not saying we remain perfect but hell of a lot better to where we were a year ago still, and all relatively new so in theory only stand to get better imo.
For the most part I agree with you John. Got to say though, I still feel we're vulnerable to crosses into our box, be it from open play or set pieces. Most other things? Night and day from six months ago. AND we're gonna get better.

HH
Never apologise for your opinion gs. It's unique to you. We all have one. Sometimes people agree with it, sometimes they don't. That's life. If we all agreed all of the time, the world would be a boring place.
And give soprano no heed. He's only stirrin shite!

For the most part I agree with you John. Got to say though, I still feel we're vulnerable to crosses into our box, be it from open play or set pieces. Most other things? Night and day from six months ago. AND we're gonna get better.
But would put that down to exploiting the full backs in the system of play we are adapting to still Frank.
The game is so tactical now and any system or players used will leave you open to be exploited, hence where possession is so important as you can't do nothing when you haven't got the ball.
Our full backs can still play to high when we haven't totally killed these teams off, and space is there to split up the CB and allowing more opportunities for a striker on a one on one basis.
In general I don't think we have done to bad and dealt with them situations not to badly still imo, yet room for improvements still.

Back