Bring back Fergus

Lubos left peg

I wonder if anyone in the Celtic blogosphere has ever tried to grab an interview with McCann or if it would even be possible. It's an interview I'd love to read! Proper questions though. Not ones filtered by the clubs own PR media team.

With fan media becoming more prevalent, especially with Celtic fans, I'd love to hear his true thoughts on what he thinks of the modern Celtic that he helped create.
Proper questions on how he thinks the board have run the club, his opinion on the SPFL and if he believes things have improved, or got worse since the dark days of Farry.
I'd like to know what his stance would be on ticket gate. Would he be more vocal as Celtic were rounded on and blamed by everyone in the media or would he take Nicholsons approach and stay quiet?
Would he still allow the media into Paradise after the onslaught of negative stories, that for some reason have really intensified this close season?
Is he still happy with Celtic Park or would he build on it??
It would be a great interview!

Cmon Celtic Star....get on it!! 😁
Make some calls. Dill can be your Canadian correspondent!

Quotes about Fergus McCann on the Celtic Wiki page. There was one from Jim Kerr that is shocking. After the magnificent stadium was built Kerr said, “So he built a stadium! So did Ceaucescu and Mussolini”

“Every hoopster should genuflect before this great wee man. The Scottish establishment would have let your team die….he saved it….your history….and your heritage.”
Jim Spence (Scottish football journalist, 2019)

“As the senior players argued their case McCann batted it back like an Andy Murray forearm. He knew the going rate and it wasn’t what they were paying at Ibrox. Voices were raised and Fergus scuttled off like a squirrel up a tree – the wee man didn’t like confrontation and didn’t need it either. McCann would sit in his office like a general in the army. There was no need to get his hands dirty on these trivial matters with the playing department. He shuffled all the pieces around until he had Celtic heading in the direction he had promised five years earlier, nothing more nothing less. McCann showed steel and integrity as he used his foresight and common sense to steer Celtic through turbulent times.That’s something Rangers and their board need to learn fast.”
Craig Burley on McCann (2013)

“As Celtic fans, we can be proud of ourselves and what we have achieved in our life, because what we have achieved has been achieved on our own merits. We haven’t had to join any secret organisation in life to get where we are today, and that’s important to you.”
Fergus McCann (as transcribed by Matt McGlone of Celts for Change group at The Hospitality Inn in Glasgow on 29 Nov 1993)

“It would’ve cost less, and left the previous owners with nothing, to go into liquidation. But it would also be humiliating for Celtic. So we paid all the bills. Celtic means the same to me as it does to other fans. I identify with the club and wish to be proud of it.”
Fergus McCann (2013)

“Fergus McCann’s arrival in Scotland was to the detriment of the well-being of Scottish Football… There are already too many foreigners ruining our game.”
Jim Farry in an interview with Scotland On Sunday newspaper (Jan

‘He must recognise the rules of the game were not established to be so blatantly disregarded by a man who knows virtually nothing of the structure of Scottish football.’
Alan Davidson (Evening Times journalist) on Fergus McCann prior to the successful outcome for Fergus McCann v Farry, an example of the mounting criticism against him, but Fergus McCann was proved right.

I will translate what Farry and Davidson were saying, “we have cheated Scottish Football for years and this Wee Canadian is on to us”

Last edited:
“Every hoopster should genuflect before this great wee man. The Scottish establishment would have let your team die….he saved it….your history….and your heritage.”

“As the senior players argued their case McCann batted it back like an Andy Murray forearm. He knew the going rate and it wasn’t what they were paying at Ibrox. Voices were raised and Fergus scuttled off like a squirrel up a tree – the wee man didn’t like confrontation and didn’t need it either. McCann would sit in his office like a general in the army. There was no need to get his hands dirty on these trivial matters with the playing department. He shuffled all the pieces around until he had Celtic heading in the direction he had promised five years earlier, nothing more nothing less. McCann showed steel and integrity as he used his foresight and common sense to steer Celtic through turbulent times.That’s something Rangers and their board need to learn fast.”

“As Celtic fans, we can be proud of ourselves and what we have achieved in our life, because what we have achieved has been achieved on our own merits. We haven’t had to join any secret organisation in life to get where we are today, and that’s important to you.”
Fergus McCann (as transcribed by Matt McGlone of Celts for Change group at The Hospitality Inn in Glasgow on 29 Nov 1993)

“It would’ve cost less, and left the previous owners with nothing, to go into liquidation. But it would also be humiliating for Celtic. So we paid all the bills. Celtic means the same to me as it does to other fans. I identify with the club and wish to be proud of it.”
Fergus McCann (2013)

“Fergus McCann’s arrival in Scotland was to the detriment of the well-being of Scottish Football… There are already too many foreigners ruining our game.”

‘He must recognise the rules of the game were not established to be so blatantly disregarded by a man who knows virtually nothing of the structure of Scottish football.’
Alan Davidson (Evening Times journalist) on Fergus McCann prior to the successful outcome for Fergus McCann v Farry, an example of the mounting criticism against him, but Fergus McCann was proved right.

I will translate what Farry and Davidson were saying, “we have cheated Scottish Football for years and this Wee Canadian is on to us”
Wow when you see comments like that you realise just what Fergus and celtic were up against
Astonishing

Quotes about Fergus McCann on the Celtic Wiki page. There was one from Jim Kerr that is shocking. After the magnificent stadium was built Kerr said, “So he built a stadium! So did Ceaucescu and Mussolini”

Fergus McCann (2013)

Thank you, Richybhoy. I often sit and reflect on that tumultuous time when our club came perilously close to extinction.

Make no mistake, it would've been an occasion of unbridled joy for many.
We will never be able to quantify the debt we owe Fergus.

Thanks again for posting....Lest We Forget?

Fergus McCann (2013)

Thank you Richy. Quotes that I'd never read or heard before. He saw what we, as fans are now seeing and he chose to go to battle for the club he loves. He took on the establishment and it obviously terrified them....and now we can see why!!
I was to young to understand what was going on at Celtic in that time. All I knew was that my dad and others hated the wee man...."how could he sack Tommy" is what I remember my dad saying.
Thank god he stuck to his guns and the work he has done is being recognised.
I'd love to hear his opinions today.

All Hail the Bunnet was pilloried by all at that time laughed at when the share issue was done. Weird he did what he said he’d do. He took on the SFanniesA and won.
Made the club strong
Could do with him now on the current Sfa and ticket gate he shouts when our board
Whispers and appears to cower to the deid mob.
Thank you Fergus 👏👏

HH 🍀

The media have taken their attacks on Celtic to a whole new level this season. Would Fergus have kept his mouth shut, the way our current board are?
Being the bigger man is NOT working. Every single day, there is a negative story containing pure lies aimed at our club. Every day its a new "reporter" making up some bullshit story regarding Celtic.
They can print their moonbeams aimed at the their target audience all they want but its about time our silent board took a stand!

The media have taken their attacks on Celtic to a whole new level this season. Would Fergus have kept his mouth shut, the way our current board are?
Being the bigger man is NOT working. Every single day, there is a negative story containing pure lies aimed at our club. Every day its a new "reporter" making up some bullshit story regarding Celtic.
They can print their moonbeams aimed at the their target audience all they want but its about time our silent board took a stand!
Glad I never read any of it, infact if it weren't for Celtic Forums such as this I wouldn't know anything about them to be honest, gave up with the fantasy football world of the smsm yrs ago especially pre season.

They will bend over backwards to appease the zombies and nothing Celtic say will change that, ban them and tell us why, its the only way to change them..

H.H

I always feel the silence from our board is a dignified approach.
Why get caught up on all the b...sh.t coming from the media in our wee bigoted country. No defence can sometimes be a form of defence.

That is just my opinion but I still get enraged at the constant 💩that is thrown at our club without retribution.

Flag day '98 still one of the most embarrassing moments I've ever known as a celt. The booing and jeering of Fergus McCann, seeing Tom Boyds dejection at it all, was awful.

Was on the cards and more than a few knew it could happen but it still was truly horrible.

Flag day '98 still one of the most embarrassing moments I've ever known as a celt. The booing and jeering of Fergus McCann, seeing Tom Boyds dejection at it all, was awful.

Was on the cards and more than a few knew it could happen but it still was truly horrible.
He knew it was coming Winter he still went out and did it. And that’s the funny side of History it showed he was correct in what he did from the financial side he built it and We came to Watch probably the best 25 + years of the clubs recent history mair trebles than and Title a second 9 in a row
Thur naw booing Now

HH 🍀👏

He knew it was coming Winter he still went out and did it. And that’s the funny side of History it showed he was correct in what he did from the financial side he built it and We came to Watch probably the best 25 + years of the clubs recent history mair trebles than and Title a second 9 in a row
Thur naw booing Now

HH 🍀👏
As we all know these days, the media is full of bluenoses who report everything through orange tinted glasses. We knew this to an extent but it wasn't so obvious as it is nowadays with blogs and social media showings these charlatans up for what they really are. So back then fans were gleefully bombarded by negative stories against the Bunnet from every angle. And the hacks knew that if Fergus was successful then it could mean the end of the Ibrokes domination which was built entirely on loans from a very compliant bank, so they did whatever possible to stir the shite.

Whether it was disgruntled agents trying to get a better deal for their players, hundits giving their cock-eyed insight into the happenings at Parkhead, or just made up pish invented by booze-sozzled third rate hacks, then these were the ridiculous anti-Fergus daily headlines that too many of our diehard fans believed. Their booing was a sad moment, but you are correct - he faced it even though he knew it was probably coming.

Yes, Fergus made money out of Celtic, but he did EXACTLY what he promised us at the very start and also set us up for a generation of domination. Not only did he fight our cause against the bigots that ruin/run and report on our national sport, but his threat to Murray's ego resulted in the death of our greatest rivals who cheated to be able to try to compete with us.

Last edited:
Craigy said to Davey
Over strawberries from a punnet
"How much for Rangers?"
"Oh it's much less than a bunnet"

Davey said to Craigy
"The club, the team, the ground
The muddy park, the car park
You can have them for a pound"

"But heed a final warning
Should it all go down the shitter
The fans will be revolting
And they're permanently bitter"

:ROFLMAO: Dream on,,,,,,fanny media asking proper questions,,aye big hard hitting ones ,,,,,,,,is it good to be back Brendan:love:

Fergus should be left in peace to get on with his life

it's up to the customers to make there voices 😖 oh fk stopit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: heard ,,,,even the wee squeaky ones

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: The media the spl the bogey man

you all remained silent so they do as they please

:cool: Get over it

:ROFLMAO: Dream on,,,,,,fanny media asking proper questions,,aye big hard hitting ones ,,,,,,,,is it good to be back Brendan:love:

Fergus should be left in peace to get on with his life

it's up to the customers to make there voices 😖 oh fk stopit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: heard ,,,,even the wee squeaky ones

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: The media the spl the bogey man

you all remained silent so they do as they please

:cool: Get over it

Who remained silent?? I think the Celtic fans have shown, in numbers what they think of the MSM. There's a reason their sale numbers are falling through the floor. There's a reason celtic fan media is on the up. It's about time the board got behind the fans on this one. We've definitely done our bit where the media are concerned.

I wonder if anyone in the Celtic blogosphere has ever tried to grab an interview with McCann or if it would even be possible. It's an interview I'd love to read! Proper questions though. Not ones filtered by the clubs own PR media team.

With fan media becoming more prevalent, especially with Celtic fans, I'd love to hear his true thoughts on what he thinks of the modern Celtic that he helped create.
Proper questions on how he thinks the board have run the club, his opinion on the SPFL and if he believes things have improved, or got worse since the dark days of Farry.
I'd like to know what his stance would be on ticket gate. Would he be more vocal as Celtic were rounded on and blamed by everyone in the media or would he take Nicholsons approach and stay quiet?
Would he still allow the media into Paradise after the onslaught of negative stories, that for some reason have really intensified this close season?
Is he still happy with Celtic Park or would he build on it??
It would be a great interview!

Cmon Celtic Star....get on it!! 😁
Make some calls. Dill can be your Canadian correspondent!
First thing I'd ask him is why David Ginola opted not to sign for us
Something about 'someone' mentioning that they can't wait to see his reaction to playing in a wet midweek fixture, in some exotic Scottish locale
I don't blame anyone for opting for the chance to play in the warmer climates
Never mind bringing Fergus back...bring back Charlie Mulgrew !!!
YNWA

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back