Celtic v Bayer Leverkusen - Thursday 30 September, kick-off 8pm - all comments here

Jeremie Frimpong has rejected former Celtic manager Neil Lennon's claim that he had agitated for a transfer from the Glasgow club as the right-back prepares for a return to Scotland to face his former team-mates with Bayer Leverkusen in the Europa League on Thursday.
It was in the Record, so it MUST be true
Pinch of salt Lennono
As you know, we will always get headlines like these, especially with a big game coming up
Mibbe the wee man will pull up injured in the warm up, there's a lot of that going on around Celtic Park these days
HH

If AP goes with the same team he wen't with on Sunday we'll get pumped! Leverkusen would rip through that midfield like it wisnae even there, desperate times call for desperate measures so I'd ditch the 4-3-3 and go with a makeshift 4-2-3-1 line-up of......

Hart
Ralston CCV Starfelt Scales
Welsh McCarthy
Abada Bitton Turnbull
Jota​

Midfield needs bolstered so I'd throw Welsh in there next to McCarthy just to shore up the defensive side of things, wouldnae normally have Bitton anywhere in my preferred starting 11 but he can pick a pass and shoot from distance on occasion and like I said desperate times call for desperate measures! Ajeti for me is like playing with 10 men so I'd bench him and go with Jota up top.
I think this is a fair shout Shadow.. even gives you the option of bringing on Rogic for a tiring Turnbull and maybe Sorro near the end to try and stop them if we are somehow holding on. Would alternate Abada and Jota if not working also as these two boys are currently our only threat.

If AP goes with the same team he wen't with on Sunday we'll get pumped! Leverkusen would rip through that midfield like it wisnae even there, desperate times call for desperate measures so I'd ditch the 4-3-3 and go with a makeshift 4-2-3-1 line-up of......

Hart
Welsh McCarthy
Abada Bitton Turnbull
Jota​

Midfield needs bolstered so I'd throw Welsh in there next to McCarthy just to shore up the defensive side of things, wouldnae normally have Bitton anywhere in my preferred starting 11 but he can pick a pass and shoot from distance on occasion and like I said desperate times call for desperate measures! Ajeti's inclusion is like being a man down before ye even start so I'd bench him and go with Jota up top.
Interesting
Jota or Abada, might be a good fit in the strikers role, if we can get a pass through to them, instead of the 'pylon' from the last few weeks
When people give it "He's not that kind of player, he'll get goals in the box IF we get the ball to him' :rolleyes:
Will he...?...aye...well, if he isn't getting the ball, then he has to work for it, has to 'want it' 'fight for it' run into space for it
He does my box in, and I can't see why we paid 5 million for him
Teams will set up with two guys on him, as they know he waits for it to come to him, he sits for me tomorrow night and we go with Jota or Abada instead, with Bitton and Turnbull pinging it through
Oh well, we'll see how it goes
We can only hope we play well

HH

I think this is a fair shout Shadow.. even gives you the option of bringing on Rogic for a tiring Turnbull and maybe Sorro near the end to try and stop them if we are somehow holding on. Would alternate Abada and Jota if not working also as these two boys are currently our only threat.

If we're still in it come the 2nd half Rogic is the kinda player who can come on and produce a bit of magic but like Turnbull he's just not a 90 minute man mate and I think playing both in the same midfield makes us too soft in the middle of the park so aye I reckon yer right, he would be our best bet to replace a tiring Turnbull to maybe be in with a chance of nicking something late in the game.

No sure how Jota would do out on the right but yer spot on about those 2 being our main attacking threats just now so definitely worth a shout alternating between the two if Jota isn't having much joy up top. (y)

Interesting
Jota or Abada, might be a good fit in the strikers role, if we can get a pass through to them, instead of the 'pylon' from the last few weeks
When people give it "He's not that kind of player, he'll get goals in the box IF we get the ball to him' :rolleyes:
Will he...?...aye...well, if he isn't getting the ball, then he has to work for it, has to 'want it' 'fight for it' run into space for it
He does my box in, and I can't see why we paid 5 million for him
Teams will set up with two guys on him, as they know he waits for it to come to him, he sits for me tomorrow night and we go with Jota or Abada instead, with Bitton and Turnbull pinging it through
Oh well, we'll see how it goes
We can only hope we play well

HH

Pylon....😂😂😂(y)

Spot on D....Ajeti just doesn't work anywhere near hard enough and I'd love for someone to tell me exactly what 'kind of player' he actually is because like you say he doesn't run into space to pick up a pass, he doesn't get himself in the pockets of space between opposition defences, neither is he a big target man you can throw crosses into and even though he looks like he has the strength and physicality to mix it and unsettle defences he doesn't do that either! All he seems to do is wait around for someone to put the baw to his feet and even when he does receive it he is rarely in the right position to get a decent shot off.

Whoever sanctioned spending £5m on him should be chased oot the door!

I see where you're coming from Boab
With the speed of Frimpong we might be better with Scales, or Monty at right back and Ralston on the left
Although Scales and Monty have both played left back at times
I would insert Bitton into the lineup as the big man is solid in midfield and gets the ball forward
Ajeti does nothing (for me) to warrant another start, Rogic would come on in second half as he's not a 90 minute player, but does have the 'game changer' in his arsenal
I'd have Welsh in beside CCV, as although Starfelt has the European games in him, he's still got the 'Efe Ambrose' about him at times, in the SPFL
These are just my thoughts, no doubt big Ange will ignore all our 'advice' and we'll get what we get tomorrow night, which hopefully, isn't gubbed

COYBIG

I see where you're coming from Boab
With the speed of Frimpong we might be better with Scales, or Monty at right back and Ralston on the left
Although Scales and Monty have both played left back at times
I would insert Bitton into the lineup as the big man is solid in midfield and gets the ball forward
Ajeti does nothing (for me) to warrant another start, Rogic would come on in second half as he's not a 90 minute player, but does have the 'game changer' in his arsenal
I'd have Welsh in beside CCV, as although Starfelt has the European games in him, he's still got the 'Efe Ambrose' about him at times, in the SPFL
These are just my thoughts, no doubt big Ange will ignore all our 'advice' and we'll get what we get tomorrow night, which hopefully, isn't gubbed

COYBIG
Not fair on Ajeti playing him as the lone striker the guy is a poacher he feeds off loose balls and spills and is very quick to get an instant shot away. His first goal i remember him reacting to a spill with a shot in rapid response, no time to think, just anticipated the loose ball and bang.

Not fair on Ajeti playing him as the lone striker the guy is a poacher he feeds off loose balls and spills and is very quick to get an instant shot away. His first goal i remember him reacting to a spill with a shot in rapid response, no time to think, just anticipated the loose ball and bang.
And then you see him miss a tap in from 3 yards out, not only miss it, but balloon it over the bar
If he's our lone striker, we're not scoring
As a striker, lone or not, if you're not in the game, you try harder, if the ball's not coming to you, you have to adjust
That's not happening, so changes must be made
We went with teo up front, with Eddie & Griff, both worked for the ball, Ajeti is not that type
He's a poacher, but with him being static, and two defenders on him when he does get the ball, it's wasted
Kyogo did the same regarding spills and loose balls, the difference is, Kyogo also chases back and shows for the ball, now there's a guy who deserves to start every game

Opinions eh ;-)

And then you see him miss a tap in from 3 yards out, not only miss it, but balloon it over the bar
If he's our lone striker, we're not scoring
As a striker, lone or not, if you're not in the game, you try harder, if the ball's not coming to you, you have to adjust
That's not happening, so changes must be made
We went with teo up front, with Eddie & Griff, both worked for the ball, Ajeti is not that type
He's a poacher, but with him being static, and two defenders on him when he does get the ball, it's wasted
Kyogo did the same regarding spills and loose balls, the difference is, Kyogo also chases back and shows for the ball, now there's a guy who deserves to start every game

Opinions eh ;-)
Who'd be a manager, with so many limited options we have nopw got more perm(s)utations than the Scotland Argentina squad

Pylon....😂😂😂(y)

Spot on D....Ajeti just doesn't work anywhere near hard enough and I'd love for someone to tell me exactly what 'kind of player' he actually is because like you say he doesn't run into space to pick up a pass, he doesn't get himself in the pockets of space between opposition defences, neither is he a big target man you can throw crosses into and even though he looks like he has the strength and physicality to mix it and unsettle defences he doesn't do that either! All he seems to do is wait around for someone to put the baw to his feet and even when he does receive it he is rarely in the right position to get a decent shot off.

Whoever sanctioned spending £5m on him should be chased oot the door!
He already left Nick Hammond Liewell’s cheap option given his jotters last season also gave us Barkas and a whole heap of shite Liewell’s top choice the pricks prick

he's shite he's up there with kazim -richards , we should have punted him and kept klimala who has 7 goals in 19 starts and was a hungrier player who when he did get his chance played for the team

Usually a big European night at Paradise is one of the real highlights of the season, but in terms of importance then the match on Sunday against the sheep holds far more importance in gaining the right result than tonight imo.
Saying that a good preformance along with a great result would be a great boost to everyone in the club at a fairly fragile time we are currently in.
Think it's a huge game for Ange himself, NOT in any ways concerning his job as that is nonsense talk, but to give us all a far better indication of what type of manager he really is going to be for us?
What we do know, is Ange is a very attack minded manager and yet we still are far from convincing without the ball and leading to to many costly mistakes.
I think if Ange sticks with his preferred 433 and the Turnbull /Rogic midfield partnership with Ajeti up front, I fear we could be on the end of a hiding against a very strong footballing team that would exploit the spaces available to them.
With so many players unavailable to really get the best from the team in how he would really like to play, I'm hoping he can make some changes, to give us a better and possibly stronger look about with the time without the ball yet capable of having the attacking intent and creating chances and hopefully taking them.
I would personally go for a back 3 of CCV, Starfelt and scales.
A more packed midfield of Boli and Ralston used as wing backs that can help attack more without the panic of worrying about the space behind them. Just give Boli the nod ahead of Monty, as Monty can be used as a sub that allows options depending on how the game is going, plus Boli didn't do to bad at livi, and can be quite useful out wide and getting balls into the box still and would actually think he could win the battle with frimps.
Even though I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Bitton as a player, I would still use him as a partner for Mccarthy still to hopefully tighten up a real problem position for us with the loss of calmac, and Soro remains to much of a liability still for us.
This could allow Turnbull more of a free role with Jota and abada ahead of him and not getting so tied down on the wings all the time. Still allows for Rogic later in the game to exploit more space as a sub for Turnbull when he starts to tire.
Hopefully Ange will make some tactical changes tonight as still got the belief in him and the squad of players available even with the injuries.
I do however fear for us if Ange sticks with what he has used recently, as the results prove its not working to well atm.
Still believe we are capable of getting a win tonight.
Celtic 2-1
HH

Juranovic added to the crocks list, out with a hamstring injury so we won't see him until after the international break. McGregor and Furuhashi still not available, McCarthy is ok after coming off at weekend.
This could get very messy. Even at full strength this would be a tough game, given who is missing (McGregor, Furuhashi, Forrest, Juranovic, Jullien, Taylor), and just as important those available (Soro, Starfelt, Ralston, Rogic, Turnbull and especially Ajeti) who are patently not good enough, I fear a heavy defeat tomorrow night.
They are lightening fast on the break, their strength is the right side partnership of Frimpong and Diaby, and through the middle they have Germany's lastest wunderkid Wirst playing off Schik. Their defence can be got at but you would need a fast mobile striker, we have a bollard.
No doubt Ange will pick the same midfield and front three as the weekend failure with the only change at LB where its a choice between Montgomery or Scales. Its this stubborn refusal to adapt to suit the players available and/or opposition that will be his downfall.
I'd like us to at least adapt slightly and play Scales and Montgomery on the left to try to stem the Frimpong/Diaby threat. Play 2 in CM with one ahead instead playing Rogic and Turnbull which doesn't work, especially in Europe. Changing to a 4-2-3-1 allows one of the 2 in the middle to man mark Wirst when they are in possession but still leaves the other to close down space and press. Play either Jota or Abada through the middle and drop Ajeti.

Hart
McCarthy Soro
Abada Turnbull Montgomery
Jota

Whoever he picks I've no real expectations of getting anything from the game, and the last thing we need just now is a heavy defeat. A 2-2 draw at best.
Typical cheap Celtic paying 4.5 million for a keeper who can't keep the ball out of the net &
a forward bought for 4.5 million who can't put the ball in the net.
We could of bought a 9 million player who can put the ball in the net and sell him for a profit several years later.
O wait didn't BR do something like that.
What happened to him & THE MAJOR QUESTION WHY DID HE HAVE to leave.

Your loyality to your son Mrs Ajeti is reconmendable but I'm afraid the rest of the Celtic support have the opposit view

We all have our dichotomy of opinions on here about the strategy that Ange should be undertaking for tonight’s game.

I’m afraid I’m just going to say my prayers for the manager and our team and then hope that they will be answered 🙏 COYBIG 💚

Back