Celtic v Blackburn Rovers - Saturday 16 July, kick-off 12.30pm

Wasnt that impressed overall today.

Some nice attacking, some poor tactics generally.

But i think thats how its going to be under Ange so I just accept it now.

Really think we need better balanced midfield but if he wins league then thats cool with me if he cant organise defence that well.

its like the big bad wolf tactics

ill huff and ill puff and blow your house in. But its very limited style imo.

our formation seems to mostly fit 2 1 6 1 formation with 2 of 6 inverted fullbacks that dont help defence much and arent really that great at inside forward in compensation

gap between the 2 def and 1 mid is often 30 yards and further 15 yards to the next bank of 6

works well if opps give our defence space to find the 40 yard low pass exactly to feet

but high risk at best if it fails to connect.

ball winning isnt that great in team either

Blackburn arent that great but better than most in scotland

have bad feeling CL could be bad if we dont fix the midfield defence connection

Last edited:
I think too many fans take these pre season games wayy too seriously.This time last year we got mauled by West Ham ..we still had a great season .I see Jullien and Lawal are being slaughtered but i dont think theyll be Celtic players for long.Roll on the sheep game and the the end to these pishy games .

I think too many fans take these pre season games wayy too seriously.This time last year we got mauled by West Ham ..we still had a great season .I see Jullien and Lawal are being slaughtered but i dont think theyll be Celtic players for long.Roll on the sheep game and the the end to these pishy games .
i agree Tony

But I think we have players even in second string to beat blackburn at home currently. Its a friendly so not that important but the tactical side is very similar to last season.

I think julien decent cb before he got injured

I dont think its the players who arent celtic grade

Just not addressing glaring tactical weaknesses that annoys me.

But it mostly wins so who am i to complain

We badly need a better connection between def and midfield both to build upon and defend better imo

i agree Tony

But I think we have players even in second string to beat blackburn at home currently. Its a friendly so not that important but the tactical side is very similar to last season.

I think julien decent cb before he got injured

I dont think its the players who arent celtic grade

Just not addressing glaring tactical weaknesses that annoys me.

But it mostly wins so who am i to complain

We badly need a better connection between def and midfield both to build upon and defend better imo
Sounds like your hoping to see a whole different tactical approach TET, which in turn possibly would call for a whole new formation to suit the changes also.
Aspects of the current tactical play, i still feel uncomfortable with at times, but Ange gets paid the money to make these big decisions and overall we still aren't to bad still imo, yet the acid test will be within the CL, but still remain to hot to handle for anything within the SPFL to stop us still imo, even with the high risk involved imo.

I think some fans can be too harsh on the backup players after these types of games. Usually there are wholesale changes where at least half a team is changed out at once. This causes a complete breakdown in momentum and often throws together partnerships who rarely play together in matches.

But this is not how we will be utilising these squad players during competitive matches - usually it will only be 1 or 2 of them introduced into a fairly settled side of regular starters which is easier to fit into and they are surrounded by a higher standard of player.

Sounds like your hoping to see a whole different tactical approach TET, which in turn possibly would call for a whole new formation to suit the changes also.
Aspects of the current tactical play, i still feel uncomfortable with at times, but Ange gets paid the money to make these big decisions and overall we still aren't to bad still imo, yet the acid test will be within the CL, but still remain to hot to handle for anything within the SPFL to stop us still imo, even with the high risk involved imo.
not a whole different approach just a wee bit more conservative until we are in their half safely

not a whole different approach just a wee bit more conservative until we are in their half safely
Won't happen TET, with Ange wanting to make the pitch as big as possible with the ball players and the speed it possess throughout the squad still imo.
Slow our play down to much and these type of players that we enjoy watching so much become far less effective, still a risk worth taking for the enjoyable attacking football it produces still imo

Won't happen TET, with Ange wanting to make the pitch as big as possible with the ball players and the speed it possess throughout the squad still imo.
Slow our play down to much and these type of players that we enjoy watching so much become far less effective, still a risk worth taking for the enjoyable attacking football it produces still imo
It still worries me. Hope im wrong but I fear we are going to get battered in europe with this style

No disrespect to any of our players but I now get a bit of a sinking feeling when I see Mikey Johnson coming on at anytime in the game. He simply isn't up to the standard required.
Jullien is selfishly a busted flush and needs to shape up or ship out.
I was slightly concerned with Jura today and seeing another goal coming from his side of defence early doors.
Biggest disappointment of the day is seeing Raldo coming off Injured.
Reality check in terms of quality of depth in squad.
First picks look good but we are gonna need more in quality to support them if we are to progress this year.
No panic domestically but I'm not convinced we have the capability to compete across all fronts and is still a big concern for me.
This is what being ahead of schedule with the rebuild brings, higher expectations.
We're in a good place and will have our best crack at the cl but next season really should be our aim for a European run given where we were this time last year.

I think some fans can be too harsh on the backup players after these types of games. Usually there are wholesale changes where at least half a team is changed out at once. This causes a complete breakdown in momentum and often throws together partnerships who rarely play together in matches.

But this is not how we will be utilising these squad players during competitive matches - usually it will only be 1 or 2 of them introduced into a fairly settled side of regular starters which is easier to fit into and they are surrounded by a higher standard of player.
I would state BB that we have currently 19 players that I wouldn't have any issues with STARTING any game against any opposition, including the 3 missing today.
All of this with apparently another 2 on there way in also, and without Forrest and McCarthy being included, who both still will have a role to play for ourselves in the coming season still imo.
That's got all the hallmarks of the strongest, with the most depth within it that I can ever recall.
The most players we can ever use during a match is 16, so even with a horrendous injury list and possible covid still, like last season that we had to overcome, we remain miles ahead to where we were only a year ago and that didn't end up to bad either

Last edited:
Fully agree, I'd rather we maybe rotated the starting line up more in those friendlies to use more squad players and bring on the usual 3 or 4 subs staggered after an hour or so.
Changing 5,6 or more players at half time just kills the game for me and makes the second half irrelevant.

Fully agree, I'd rather we maybe rotated the starting line up more in those friendlies to use more squad players and bring on the usual 3 or 4 subs staggered after an hour or so.
Changing 5,6 or more players at half time just kills the game for me and makes the second half irrelevant.
Think that approach will be taken up more so in the next couple of friendlies hoopy, getting players totally ready for the full 90, and getting everyone more prepared for proper match conditions.
Think Ange is far better prepared for the coming season with being able to rotate players better than last season, where having to overuse so many players and leading to many injuries also imo.

Bernabei-Argentina-CSC.png

This is what being ahead of schedule with the rebuild brings, higher expectations.
We're in a good place and will have our best crack at the cl but next season really should be our aim for a European run given where we were this time last year.
I hear what your saying Winter but I think everyone can see we are just maybe 2 or 3 quality additions from progressing to another level.
Of course any new player is a gamble.
But I'm still hopeful we can give a few bloody noses if we can get rid of the remaining deadwood who are draining resources and add just that wee bit more that will inspire confidence to players and supporters alike.
Might have to wait until next season but I believe the opportunity is there this season. ...at least I'm still hopeful as always. 👍🍀

I hear what your saying Winter but I think everyone can see we are just maybe 2 or 3 quality additions from progressing to another level.
But I'm still hopeful we can give a few bloody noses if we can get rid of the remaining deadwood who are draining resources and add just that wee bit more that will inspire confidence to players and supporters alike.
Might have to wait until next season but I believe the opportunity is there this season. ...at least I'm still hopeful as always. 👍🍀
Aye of course hopeful as always, getting the 2 or 3 players in this window would be great but it may not be this window and those players may likely have to adjust their game.
If it becomes absolutely obvious that ajetti and jules cant lift their game and refuse to move on then this leaves the board a bit of a dilemma.
Should they try and buy them out of contract, loan out ?
Knowing that theres no return of any kind then the board have the funds to still go ahead and bring players in anyway and stay in the red.
That's an impatient view and more practical is to continue our progress as we have been doing.
This leaves us open to huge bids for our best players though so it's a risk either way.
Personally I hope our "new look board" have learned from their predecessors that standing still , waiting , may as well be going backwards.

Agreed mag 7, apart from lacking the obvious CB, we are still a little bit dependent upon guchi covering for calmac and O'Reilly at present.
Haven't used hatate or turnbull yet in the right sided attacking midfield role still and hopefully might get a chance to see how that could work out before the beginning of the season still.
Ajeti if he has anything about him should be forcing himself away from us as it's become obvious now that he's definitely not in Ange's plans, and frees up wages to get in another forward who can play wide as well as through the middle, a young larrson type of player hopefully.

Members online

No members online now.

Back