Celtic v Hearts Scottish Cup Final - Match Thread

Broony has been the scapegoat throughout the bad run.. unfairly so IMO......he should 100% start against a physical hearts team
We Disagree Docco yes they’re violenthun cnuts but let’s see Soro pretty sure he’ll have dig he can tackle. When we’re well up yes bring on the Captain you do sentimentality when your winning IMO
Great servant to Celtic still has a part to play but Tempus Fugit waits for no one
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀

Most of us at the start of the season thought Broonie would be used sparingly, start against the more hated of our opponents and maybe rested for a few others, perhaps being subbed off after a 2/3 goal lead.

It has unfortunately not turned out that way,I've asked before, but how many would be happy to go to the Victorian lavvy without Scott as first pick, not many I bet.

I would have a mid 4 next week of Broonie Soro Turnbull and Calmac, however I wouldn't be against a 451 adding Ryan to the mids in behind a Striker.

Still only a week to worry about it 🥴

H.H

I’m a bit more sanguine about the “old guard” coming in for the cup final. Hopefully Lenny does this on the basis that if Soro, Turnbull etc are benched for the final, it’s on the understanding that they come back in for the following league game.
The thing is then, hopefully, there is a bit of a reaction from those who have been coasting - they will have had a kick up the arse now and it’s up to them to go out and put in a performance against the Diets to give Lenny selection problems going forward.

Soro and Turnbull definitely must start, they've shown their value to the team in the last 2 games.
But I dont think it's fair just to single out Broony for our woes this season. Not his fault that the keepers, Duffy, Eddy, Moi, Christie, Motherfucker etc etc have been pish.
Looking forward to seeing Broony lift the cup, again.

We Disagree Docco yes they’re violenthun cnuts but let’s see Soro pretty sure he’ll have dig he can tackle. When we’re well up yes bring on the Captain you do sentimentality when your winning IMO
Great servant to Celtic still has a part to play but Tempus Fugit waits for no one
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀
sorrow has played 2 matches..he's never faced a shower of dirty cunts like hearts before ....and a cup final.....let Broony play the first 55-60 minutes to set the tone and bring the wee man on to finish it...it really is the sensible course of action

Broony has been the scapegoat throughout the bad run.. unfairly so IMO......he should 100% start against a physical hearts team
Docco, you're absolutely right. Broony has been made a scapegoat during that run, but it was not entirely without merit.

The man's a warrior and has done more than anybody to secure 9 successive league titles for the Club, but all of those battles, all of those wars and all of those victories come at a price. Like any other premier athlete, there is one enemy that Broony will not defeat and that is time.

I agree with one of your previous posts about Broony still being the fittest player at the Club, but those levels of fitness are built for endurance, not short, sharp bursts in the heat of battle. Late into the season - that endurance will be invaluable and may yet be the difference in the title race.

It's us, the fans, who have raised our expectations regarding Broony, Docco. It's us who keep going to that well and keep expecting a little bit more each time. This season should have been a long celebratory walk into retirement for Scott Brown, except we didn't realise how important he might be?

I don't doubt his fitness. I don't doubt his attributes. I just doubt his ability to do these things successfully game in - game out.

To your credit - it's great to see someone (among many) who fully appreciates what this man has given to the club throughout his career at Celtic.

A great servant to the club but heads have to rule hearts (lol) where Broony is concerned. I'd like the young team to start but if it isn't going well or we sustain injuries from the dirty squad then we can utilise Broony. Even if we go ahead it'll be good to bring Broony on for his experience in seeing these things out and solidifying our defence, it needs it.

If we take out Turnbull and Soro and we revert back to the line-up that has been devoid of practically everything, except our penchant for giving teams goals, then we will struggle. Before Thursday you looked at every game knowing literally anyone could beat us. And lately did to the surprise of no one.

For me it will be a continuation of Lenny's selection and the fear that he puts loyalty before what is our best team so far this season. I think he will succumb to sentimentality and that could fuck us up.

Hearts will be right up for this. Hoping that those coming back in will find form on a day we could secure a historic achievement to me would be a dereliction of duty. But, having said that I think he will revert back and hope. He's been doing a lot of hoping this season.

Play Soro and Turnbull I think we win comfortably, we don't and it's anybody's guess. Just need to wait and see. I would look to bringing Broony on later second half if we are winning well so he can enjoy the achievement he was central to securing. We all love Broony, but, the team and the treble must come first. It probably won't, but it should.

sorrow has played 2 matches..he's never faced a shower of dirty cunts like hearts before ....and a cup final.....let Broony play the first 55-60 minutes to set the tone and bring the wee man on to finish it...it really is the sensible course of action
Game could be gone and the fact you say he’s not played is the very reason we’re in this predicament sentimentality that the chosen few would lead us into The Tenptation not worked out so far but we turn a slight corner with2 really solid performance’s then booooom let’s get the Auld gang back together eeeerrrrrr Naw
Let’s stick with the team that’s performing
IMO
I know your a huge Broonie fan hello me too but I’m a bigger Celtic fan love Celtic eat Celtic and last week was so ill I Shat Celtic (green shite I kid you not)
So NFL if your ignoring us pick the Auld Gang set up another Raith Rovers
Or Pick the Best 11 we have Simples
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀

Brown should not start in the cup final. He should be on the bench, and used if necessary later in the game. Like the 2018 Betfred Final v Aberdeen, he came on last 20 minutes and helped us see out the game. Middle three of Soro, McGregor and Turnbull will be too quick for a lumbering Hearts midfield. Watched them lose to Dunfermline a couple of weeks ago and it was a young, dynamic midfield duo, including our own Kerr McInroy, that totally dominated them by moving the ball quickly when in possession and closing them down when out of possession. Brown can do neither of these.

I love Scott Brown. I used to fight his cause when we first signed him and many fans were against him - of course that all changed when he scored that goal against Deidco and "Broony" \o/ was invented. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than him playing an active role on the pitch winning the 4th treble and leading us to 10IAR.

But, despite his incredible fitness, he was always going to struggle to play 2 x 90 minute matches every week for months on end. I believe he would have been better if there was no lockdown as trying to regain that incredible edge he had was always going to be tough for a 35 year old - whereas if he'd continued on after a couple of weeks break then I think he could have better maintained the intensity.

I don't think he should be scapegoated either for some awful performances because he always gives 100% which you couldn't say about everyone else in our starting line-ups. But I don't think I am being too unfair to agree with those observations about our play being much more ponderous, static and side-to-side rather than the fast, dynamic, fluid football we've played without him in the centre of the pitch. As SP pointed out, he has lost that incredible burst of speed he used to enjoy with the result that he can now get to challenges a fraction of a second too late and is a booking waiting to happen.

I thought there were a handful of games this season where Brown & Soro could have played well together - lots of energy and a real bite in the centre of the pitch (e.g. away ties in Europa League) - but I don't think a game against Hearts is the right one to try it in.

Those who have read my posts over the last few months will not be surprised to hear that I would prefer Soro to start, but would want Broony to come on and close out the game (not necessarily at the expense of Soro being removed). I know that Hearts are dirty buggers and will be putting the boot in, but Soro can handle himself and is a tough cookie - he won't get intimidated by their thuggish antics.

All great player's careers eventually come to a close and it is not always enjoyable seeing heroes slow up. But it happened to McNeil, McGrain, Burns, McStay, Boyd, Lambert and Lennon himself. Of them all, Lenny seemed to be the one most upset about missing out and despised being dropped or subbed. He believed he could continue for longer - but he was wrong, he was getting too slow. I believe it is this memory of how much he hated being dropped that has caused Lenny to continue playing Broony too much instead of maximising his impact to the team by resting him at keys times.

Broony is a leader and champion. He deserves to enjoy and contribute to our triumph. But the team must come first. IMO I think we should have more than enough to win against Hearts if Broony starts, but I believe we will win easier if Soro is picked, and that does not imply any disrespect to Broony or his remarkable achievements and successes.

Last edited:
Brown and Ntcham have been replaced by Soro and Turnbull who have been better. It's not about scapegoating anyway. It's just form. The former haven't shown any and the latter two have. We have defeated an excellent French side and comfortably won yesterday. It should he a no brainer on form. Unless form doesnt matter anymore and it's who you are, rather than how you are playing.

Our midfield has been AWOL all season. It has now turned up, let it turn up some more.

Why change it when hes been class the last 2 games?Broonys not been at the races along with a few others so i wouldnt be changing it.Seen a few saying play Broony and Soro but why play two similar players together when you can play a Rogic Christie or McGregor in there ,guys that can make something happen.

Members online

Latest posts

Back