Celtic v Lazio, Champions League , Wednesday 4th October, 8pm kick off

Thought Nat played really well bud both him Scales were solid
My main thought is these refs are supposed to be the best two players go up for the ball ours gets booked Nat
Hatate the Nazio thug tries an Elbow doesn’t hit but then punches Hatate in the Face nothing no VAR our goal sadly but correctly ruled offside for a skiff on Maeda’s sock. They’re goal even the replay showed Pedro’s arm offside nothing from VAR infact the kick off couldn’t be taken any quicker Why.
We played very good ,Passed faster running into space better Final ball could do better.
In reality if you make mistakes in Scotia you sometimes get away with it.
In The CL the opposition almost always take them. That’s the bit we need to do better.
But like you losing was a barsteward

HH🍀

Didn't manage to see the game so not sure how well Nat played, just making the point that I'd have preffered to go into the game with a CB pairing that had spent more time together.

Not read back but I felt when we got a goal up we dropped off 10/15 yards and our play slowed, comparatively, and we went again after they scored.
What I would say is that for the most part we played big boy football and more than competed with them.
One slightly negative note was the crowd groaning when a pass in the final third went astray. I include my son who was with me. My view is you have to try the difficult stuff at Champions League level and more likely than not it wont come off, but you must keep trying.
Overall I thought our game plan was excellent and we deserved much more than we got
HH

Only seen the 1st half and we were holding our own apart from a couple of lapses in concentration. The big difference I thought was the quality in the passing the time we got it all right Kyogo got a goal from it and if the board had anything about them they should be complaining as to why VAR never intervened when Hatate got a forearm smash to the face maybe he should have rolled about like the Feyenoord player did when Lagerbielke got a yellow for holding the guy off.

They’re goal even the replay showed Pedro’s arm offside nothing from VAR infact the kick off couldn’t be taken any quicker Why.
With regards their winning goal. I was raging last night that they never gave it time to check the VAR for what looked like a borderline at best offside decision.

However, I think that last night it was clear enough from the semi-automatic offside that the player was indeed onside. This system is based on a Hawkeye type multiple camera technology to work out the position of every single player and the chip in the ball which determines exactly when the ball was struck (to 1/500th of a second), so is fairly instantaneous to cut down on delays and no need for the tortuous drawing of lines, etc, which we are used to in the domestic leagues.

I am assuming that this system is used by UEFA in the UCL as the computer graphic shown on TNT last night proving the Lazio player was onside looked to be the same output as that introduced by FIFA for the last World Cup (if I am wrong then apologies, as that is just me making an assumption that this is in operation).

Remember too that it is based on a part of the body that can score a legitimate goal, so from the T-shirt line down on the arm is NOT offside. I'm not sure why Hartson was ranting about his arm being offside last night as that is not the case. The picture showed the last Celtic defender was standing with his legs far apart and so his furthest back foot was closer to our bye-line than the Lazio's player's shoulder.

Sadly, based on this, I believe the Lazio goal was onside and we all agree that Maeda's touch rendered Palma's beauty as offside.

But VAR should have intervened with the forearm smash into Hatate's face!

Only seen the 1st half and we were holding our own apart from a couple of lapses in concentration. The big difference I thought was the quality in the passing the time we got it all right Kyogo got a goal from it and if the board had anything about them they should be complaining as to why VAR never intervened when Hatate got a forearm smash to the face maybe he should have rolled about like the Feyenoord player did when Lagerbielke got a yellow for holding the guy off.
We were much much better in the second half, but still created too few real chances.

Excellent post Frank must have been a great atmosphere there tonight
Daizen ran his heart out tonight from what I saw and him and Matty fought for every ball
Watching Daizen on telly and in the flesh , his speed is acclaimed by all but until you see it ( in my case in the flesh) you really see just how fast he is.
I'd bet he could give 100mtr sprinters a real race over 60 mtrs.
He gets to balls he has no right to get to more often than not.
Sure he doesn't always have the greatest first touch but he is a weapon that any side will be wary of.
He's a great winger but played through the middle isn't too shabby either.

Side tangent; Yang, Lagerbielke, Holm, Oh all look like they're going to take a season or so to settle into Celtic.
Yang has raw ability but we should be patient with him, same goes for Kwon who came from the 2nd tier of the K league.

I've liked the fact the board have tied up Kyogo, Daizen, Oriley, Hatate and others but not convinced it's for anything other than to push up their sell on value.
If the board can for one season , preferably two, keep our better players we can give ourselves a better chance at competing in Europe, certainly that 3rd place.

With regards their winning goal. I was raging last night that they never gave it time to check the VAR for what looked like a borderline at best offside decision.

However, I think that last night it was clear enough from the semi-automatic offside that the player was indeed onside. This system is based on a Hawkeye type multiple camera technology to work out the position of every single player and the chip in the ball which determines exactly when the ball was struck (to 1/500th of a second), so is fairly instantaneous to cut down on delays and no need for the tortuous drawing of lines, etc, which we are used to in the domestic leagues.

I am assuming that this system is used by UEFA in the UCL as the computer graphic shown on TNT last night proving the Lazio player was onside looked to be the same output as that introduced by FIFA for the last World Cup (if I am wrong then apologies, as that is just me making an assumption that this is in operation).

Remember too that it is based on a part of the body that can score a legitimate goal, so from the T-shirt line down on the arm is NOT offside. I'm not sure why Hartson was ranting about his arm being offside last night as that is not the case. The picture showed the last Celtic defender was standing with his legs far apart and so his furthest back foot was closer to our bye-line than the Lazio's player's shoulder.

Sadly, based on this, I believe the Lazio goal was onside and we all agree that Maeda's touch rendered Palma's beauty as offside.

But VAR should have intervened with the forearm smash into Hatate's face!
That smash should've carried a retrospective booking at least.

Watching Daizen on telly and in the flesh , his speed is acclaimed by all but until you see it ( in my case in the flesh) you really see just how fast he is.
Sure he doesn't always have the greatest first touch but he is a weapon that any side will be wary of.
Probably be playin for Spurs next season. Should get a good price for him though.

Side tangent; Yang, Lagerbielke, Holm, Oh all look like they're going to take a season or so to settle into Celtic.
Yang has raw ability but we should be patient with him, same goes for Kwon who came from the 2nd tier of the K league.

I've liked the fact the board have tied up Kyogo, Daizen, Oriley, Hatate and others but not convinced it's for anything other than to push up their sell on value.
If the board can for one season , preferably two, keep our better players we can give ourselves a better chance at competing in Europe, certainly that 3rd place.
The bald Ninja scared the absolute shite out of Lazio with his speed the other night .He's another player who looks better since Rodgers has came in imo.

The bald Ninja scared the absolute shite out of Lazio with his speed the other night .He's another player who looks better since Rodgers has came in imo.
Aye, also Hatate's form is down to being out injured and rushed back quickly I believe anyway rather than Rodgers tactics.
That doesn't say much for Turnbull, he will have to step up his game drastically now to get a sniff at MF in front of Hatate, Bernardo or Holm.
His Contracts up for renewal and if he's willing to stay then a decent squad player but needs to be more consistent to be anymore than that as Bernardo and Holm I'd expect will only get better.

I won't be too hard on Brendan, as I think he got the tactics spot on in both games.

But I thought his team selection last night could have been better. And that's not hindsight.

When the team was anounced I said Yang didn't deserve to start ahead of Palma.
Also as soon as it was clear Lager would miss last night, Iwata and Scales should have been played together.

I've no doubt Nat Philips is a better CB than Iwata, but you don't really have 2 CBs in a team.

You have "pair" of CBs who have developed an understanding. Nat wasn't availble to slot straight in, so I would have went with Iwata.

Nat could have been on the bench, and we could have eased CCV back in.

Diffucult call as there were still league games to win, but that's what I would have done.
Sorry but I'm not a fan of Nat Phillips - reminds me too much of Shane Duffy.
Both are obviously good players but just not suited to Celtic. Certainly wouldn't consider keeping him after the initial 6 month period. HH

Sorry but I'm not a fan of Nat Phillips - reminds me too much of Shane Duffy.
Both are obviously good players but just not suited to Celtic. Certainly wouldn't consider keeping him after the initial 6 month period. HH
Too early for me to tell tbh. Have seen 45 mins v Dundee and his Lazio game.
Thought he was decent without being outstanding, was up to speed against Lazio for the most part given he's only returned from injury as well.

All a bit of a mute point anyway Jinkybhoy.
Phillips is a loan without option to buy from Liverpool, if we were to want him permanently he'd set us back £5 million easily if Davies cost £4mill to sevco.
He's decent enough as back up but we'll see less and less of him as our own CBs return.
CCV starting today and Phillips on the bench tells me Rodgers will use him if needed but his players if fit will get the nod.

Members online

Latest posts

Back