Celtic v Legia match thread. All hail the holy goalie🙏

Hope Ange now regards pre season as complete and goes with his first pick eleven on Saturday v Norwich and names 9 subs, limiting use to 5 (unless there's injuries) and treats the game like a league game. No subs for the sake of it.
Be surprised if Ange did myself Gary, just on the basis of not wanting to show his full hand before he needs to play it.
Still time enough to work upon tactical changes with players with the sheep in mind with ourselves having the advantage of being able to see what the sheep have to offer more so than what they could know about which way we could go with so many options available to us still.
Jenz will possibly need a bit of game time along with Mooy hopefully just to get a feel about the way we would like to play even if there not up to speed still.
A few positions are hardly confirmed yet for automatic starting still so every chance for a few players to make there claim still.
With 5 subs available for matches now, we already know Ange don't usually want to change the back 5 during games unless forced to do so, so mainly 5 of the 6 between midfield and attack are his favoured changes and not having to give calmac a rest unless the game is totally won.
Can't see any changes to Ange approach next season imo

Personally I think we gain so much from these types of games, that it will put us in a great place for the season ahead imo.
It's brilliant to be playing with the high intensity and great tempo to our play and able to cut teams to ribbons with creating so many chances like we were able to do in the 1st half so naturally and easy also.
However we can't expect that lovely football can be played for the full 90 minutes of every game either throughout the course of a season, yet this is where we have to be able to achieve for CL football.
So to be able to produce that after a very demanding game on Saturday was a brilliant sight to see.
Yet take our intensity and slowing down our tempo of play which will happen at times during a match and we look the shadow of the team we are capable of being and also many of our players look that bit more uncomfortable also.
Still work to be done on our play without the ball and our counter attacking game just was none existent in the 2nd half.
Pre season also includes aspects of there game players still have to work upon still, and our team still needs work upon our game management still, especially for CL level, but we know 45 minutes isn't a problem now, but we might need to wait for the beginning of the season to start to see the full 90 still, where it will really count and mean far more than at present in only pre season still imo.
It certainly looks like it's special when it all clicks in John. Although as you say it appears to be limited to the first 45.
Yes we are stronger than our Europa campaign when let's face it we patched a team together due to Injuries last season.
But we now step up to another level and I can't understand continually looking at what Mikey Johstone or James McCarthy can offer....pre season or not.
We are not professional football managers but anybody on the sidelines can see they offer nothing to this particular set up.
I suspect we are gonna be on a roller coaster of high scoring games at Celtic Park in the CL...I only hope we are the benefactors. As it stands I won't put money on that...but something inside me is enjoying what might be against the rich imposters. We are Celtic and anything is possible .🍀🇮🇪

Hope Ange now regards pre season as complete and goes with his first pick eleven on Saturday v Norwich and names 9 subs, limiting use to 5 (unless there's injuries) and treats the game like a league game. No subs for the sake of it.
I still think he will make more changes than during a normal game as he won't want to risk injuries by overstretching players. But he will play them an extra 10-15 minutes before subbing to get their match fitness levels up.

It certainly looks like it's special when it all clicks in John. Although as you say it appears to be limited to the first 45.
Yes we are stronger than our Europa campaign when let's face it we patched a team together due to Injuries last season.
But we now step up to another level and I can't understand continually looking at what Mikey Johstone or James McCarthy can offer....pre season or not.
We are not professional football managers but anybody on the sidelines can see they offer nothing to this particular set up.
I suspect we are gonna be on a roller coaster of high scoring games at Celtic Park in the CL...I only hope we are the benefactors. As it stands I won't put money on that...but something inside me is enjoying what might be against the rich imposters. We are Celtic and anything is possible .🍀🇮🇪
You would be very surprised if MJ or McCarthy were to make to many if any match day squads, with injuries only there real hope as such now imo.
They could hardly complain either as haven't shown anything like being good enough to either at present.
But today's game does depend on a depth of squad to challenge on all counts but them 2 are standing out with being totally out of there depth with what this team is trying and wanting to produce imo.

I think Ange knows by now who his best 11 are or even his best 16. I think he's been fair and given most of the squad a chance to make their mark. For one reason or another some havent been able to prove themselves. They might get a 2nd (or even a 3rd) chance in some cases, but I think a few will go before the window shuts.
One other thing we do need to play the next game with our best team for the whole 90 mins. The serious stuffs just around the corner.

I think Ange knows by now who his best 11 are or even his best 16. I think he's been fair and given most of the squad a chance to make their mark. For one reason or another some havent been able to prove themselves. They might get a 2nd (or even a 3rd) chance in some cases, but I think a few will go before the window shuts.
One other thing we do need to play the next game with our best team for the whole 90 mins. The serious stuffs just around the corner.
Ange plays his best team for 60 to 70 mins in the serious stuff then does the 3 replacements all at once that make us all look at each other Brim so I wouldn't expect that on Saturday to he honest mate.

Not read earlier posts so forgive me if someone has said similar but our defence was howling tonight. When we press and lose possession our "full backs" are exposed and teams easily get behind us. Far too narrow. Even CCV had wobblers but ffs I'll cut him some slack. Going forward was at times a joy to behold. Still quietly confident we can cause a distortion of the force in the CL.

Agreed brim that Ange already has a very good idea on what his starting line up would be.
Our midfield seems to dictate so much about our whole system of play, and hatate, calmac and O'Reilly are nearly undroppable at present in there current positions.
Still we seen just how many injuries were picked up last season with players having to be overused in the type of football Ange wants to play.
Sure Ange is well aware of that now and got a much better and stronger squad to overcome that potential problem this season

Not read earlier posts so forgive me if someone has said similar but our defence was howling tonight. When we press and lose possession our "full backs" are exposed and teams easily get behind us. Far too narrow. Even CCV had wobblers but ffs I'll cut him some slack. Going forward was at times a joy to behold. Still quietly confident we can cause a distortion of the force in the CL.
Certainly turning into a team that would rather win 5-2 than 3-0 at present StevieBhoy.
Exciting stuff regardless of the risks with the FBs encouraged to play so high up the pitch

Agreed brim that Ange already has a very good idea on what his starting line up would be.
Our midfield seems to dictate so much about our whole system of play, and hatate, calmac and O'Reilly are nearly undroppable at present in there current positions.
Still we seen just how many injuries were picked up last season with players having to be overused in the type of football Ange wants to play.
Sure Ange is well aware of that now and got a much better and stronger squad to overcome that potential problem this season
We've still got Starlord to come back but thought Welsh played really well tonight. Mooy, Begbei, Jenz have try and force themselves into the team. As you say we have cover now for injuries although we dont really want that, but we are much stronger.

We've still got Starlord to come back but thought Welsh played really well tonight. Mooy, Begbei, Jenz have try and force themselves into the team. As you say we have cover now for injuries although we dont really want that, but we are much stronger.
Delighted for Welsh and now has made himself a very valuable member of our squad now imo, and pushing very hard to make himself a starter for the start of the season now.
Mooy hopefully will settle into the team quickly as would be another great addition also, judging by all the positive reports upon him.
CCV still looks far more comfortable with starfelt playing beside him still imo.
Think Alex is going to become a huge success in an attacking sence for us, yet Taylor looks the better as an actual defender as such.
Even Ralston looks that bit sharper than josip at present imo.
Looking forward to seeing the return of starfelt now and hopefully very soon also, and maybe the starfelt haters can actually see now what he actually does bring to the team in being better defensively with him than without him, during the pre season.
Hoping we get a chance to see Jenz on Saturday as never heard of him until he signed on the dotted line for us.

I know in these squad-based days of a manager having a "best 11" is an outdated concept as they must pick their side based on form, fitness, opponents strengths & weaknesses, upcoming fixtures, etc, etc, but I think Ange will be rubbing his hands wating to get stuck into competitive games.

This is how I see us possibly lining up in the Aberdeen game based on current form (but there are several positions that are a close call). This will obviously change during the rollercoaster of a season.

Hart
Juranovic . Carter-Vickers . Welsh . Taylor
O'Riley . MacGregor . Hatate
Maeda . Kyogo . Jota
SUBS
Seigrist
Ralston
Starfelt
Bernabei
Ideguchi
Mooy
Turnbull
Abada
Giakoumakis

This leaves Jenz to force his way in, hopefully Forrest & McCarthy can step up to recreate their former glories and Ajeti's replacement to parachute in and contribute important goals. Plus develop the many youngsters on the fringes so they can step in over the course of the season.

Strap in for an exciting season as Ange clearly wants to win by outscoring our opponents.

The future's bright. The future's green & white! HH 🍀

Even Ralston looks that bit sharper than josip at present imo.
Agreed, JJ wasnt his usual self, but he's just became a father so he's had distractions. Raldo was quiet but very efficient tonight and didnt put a foot wrong. Thier 1st goal came from a route one ball that caught us unawares and we will have to watch out for that tactic as we play very high up the pitch. Still, thats the meaning of these friendlies to find errors and sort them out before the real stuff begins.
I'm more than pleased with our progression this pre-season.

Agreed, JJ wasnt his usual self, but he's just became a father so he's had distractions. Raldo was quiet but very efficient tonight and didnt put a foot wrong. Thier 1st goal came from a route one ball that caught us unawares and we will have to watch out for that tactic as we play very high up the pitch. Still, thats the meaning of these friendlies to find errors and sort them out before the real stuff begins.
I'm more than pleased with our progression this pre-season
Is it JJ whose just become a father or GG wasn't aware Josip had family stuff going on.
Have to say Josip still got some way to go to get up to speed from I've seen. Just my opinion.

2nd half obviously not as good, but again it was a friendly with no injuries (that I saw).

Standouts in the game.... everyone from that 1st half. We looked good at the back, good passing and good goals.

Another really good entertaining friendly. So far the best preseason games that I've ever remembered (touching wood).

Members online

Latest posts

Back