Celtic v St Johnstone, Saturday 16th Mar, Celtic Park 3pm kick off

I think I heard that we had not conceded a goal when he has been on the pitch for us??? Apologies if that is wrong, and admittedly it is a very small number of minutes playing time, but he seems to do well on the few occasions he is grudgingly given a chance.
That's 7 league appearances, 4 starts, around 420 minutes, 0 goals conceded.
His issue is chronic lack of pace and the way we play with such a high line. When he came on yesterday we had dropped a bit deeper, as we tend to do late in games, and that suited him. The manager obviously just doesn't rate him, due to his lack of pace, but he looks a more composed defender on the ball than either Scales or Welsh and a lot better in the air.

His issue is chronic lack of pace and the way we play with such a high line. When he came on yesterday we had dropped a bit deeper, as we tend to do late in games, and that suited him. The manager obviously just doesn't rate him, due to his lack of pace, but he looks a more composed defender on the ball than either Scales or Welsh and a lot better in the air.
To be honest the high line defending gives me the fear…

To be honest the high line defending gives me the fear…
I agree. The high line defending makes me feel uncomfortable. I believe only Carter-Vickers of our current defenders suits this style of play.

Fair enough if a manager wants to play this way then you need to recruit hand-picked players who will flourish in this way of playing. But that is clearly not happening at Celtic Park since BR (or someone else???) returned.

IMO, I think the mark of a good manager is to assess all of the players at their disposal and choose various styles that will emphasise the strengths and minimise the weaknesses of those available to him rather than try to force an unsuitable "philosophy" onto the team.

For example, if Lagerbielke is a better option alongside CCV (I'm not saying he is at this time) but he is too slow for the high line, then adapt your tactics to maximise your chance of success by bringing out the best in the team as a whole. I still believe the players currently in our squad are better suited to a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 for most domestic matches.

The View fae 403...

Mostly a decent show yesterday although we were slow in starting...

Merit badges go to CCV Welsh Kyogo Kuhn and Iwata with Iwata just Motm for me, He bossed the middle and was a brilliant link between the defence and the attack, and if you dont believe me look what happened when Brendan moved him to CB for 10 mins 🤔.

AJ and especially wee Greg never produced much,but if AJ stops treating the baw like a hockey Puck when crossing it then we will be much better off.

The Twins both had a decent game and done well to only hit that idiot ref once with the ball, it looked to me as though he was trying to mark O'Riely at one point rather than ref the game..

Upfront our special K's of Kyogo and Kuhn caused the not so Merry Plough boys (I had to get that in this weekend 😂) all sorts of trouble, and Maeda was his usual all pace and press but not much in the finishing dept..

I owe big Joe an apology I thought he was at fault with the save when they scored, but having seen it again he wasn't and was unlucky it fell a farmer...

Brendan.... I understand the taking off of CCV... But moving Iwata to fit in Odin is up there with the decision to play Kyogo as a 10... Ie... Stupid stupid stupid... But at least you corrected it...

VAR... Jesus wept... How was that not a penalty, c'mon Celtic ask the questions..

Ref.. Clueless idiot, although did produce the laugh of the day when he told a Celtic player in the second half to hurry a throw in, after completely ignoring their keepers time wasting and all round slow play when the ball was out of play.

Jamsie and young Kelly done well as did Odin and surprisingly enough Lagerbhoy was fine...

Up next and hopefully the last time for a while the limp Livvy...
The only part I'd take umbrage with (now there's a word I've never used) is the ref being clueless, he knew exactly what he was doing, fuckers are on point in order to stop the flow of the game as we move forward, surprised he didn't book the ball boy at one point, shouts at us to hurry up, but completely ignores a DHUNdee player, throwing the ball away after we got a corner, and O'Riley wanted to take it quickly, good to see us getting it forward quicker, Iwata and Maeda ran every blade of grass and Iwata shade MotM for me Good post 50, hope you enjoy a great Sunday mate YNWA

Yet Scales looked the far better defender when we last played them at Ibrox.Lagerbeilke looked a bombscare every time i watched him play.

Members online

Back