Celtic v St Mirren - Scottish Premiership Saturday 30 January, kick-off 3pm - all comments here

The thing is, Peter Lawwell is a pretty shrewd guy. That he has been an asset to Celtic I think is without question. I know he is a divisive figure and our European stock has declined but he has delivered unprecedented domestic dominance.

Until this season. But even then he didn't sell on any of our best players last summer because we are going for the 10. Further funds were also released for new players. Can we argue with that?

The players that have been brought in have not performed. None of them with the exception of Turnbull and maybe Soro. And those that were kept - French Eddie, Ajer, Christie even - have, to various extents, regressed this season. I don't think this could have been foreseen?

The question is that changes are needed on an off the pitch and how will this be implemented as we transition from one CE to another.
Yes, we have experienced unprecedented domestic success during his time, but lets be honest - much of this was due to the suicidal clusterfuck that was going down at Ibrokes. And I wouldn't give him too much credit for not following deidco's ridiculous financial strategy - not destroying your business by leading it into liquidation should be the number 1 target on any CEO's business plan.

Yes, the board did indeed use some of the Dembele & Tierney transfer money plus VVD sell on clause to fund a number of transfers (ss usual too late forvChampions League qualification) snd to hang onto players some of whom had made it clear that they wanted away. And for that I gave/give them credit.

But he was negligent to not even consider any other candidates when last appointing a permanent manager (even if they had reviewed and interviewed other candidates and still gave the job to Lennon, then I could live with that). And there have been a number of occassions this season when he could/should have stepped in to address the issues with the management team, but he has arrogantly dismissed any concerns and has refused to deal with it even now even now we have descended into a farcical laughing stock.

Yes, we have experienced unprecedented domestic success during his time, but lets be honest - much of this was due to the suicidal clusterfuck that was going down at Ibrokes. And I wouldn't give him too much credit for not following deidco's ridiculous financial strategy - not destroying your business by leading it into liquidation should be the number 1 target on any CEO's business plan.

Yes, the board did indeed use some of the Dembele & Tierney transfer money plus VVD sell on clause to fund a number of transfers (ss usual too late forvChampions League qualification) snd to hang onto players some of whom had made it clear that they wanted away. And for that I gave/give them credit.

But he was negligent to not even consider any other candidates when last appointing a permanent manager (even if they had reviewed and interviewed other candidates and still gave the job to Lennon, then I could live with that). And there have been a number of occassions this season when he could/should have stepped in to address the issues with the management team, but he has arrogantly dismissed any concerns and has refused to deal with it even now even now we have descended into a farcical laughing stock.
Sorry LC20, but it's my opinion that any CEO who allowed a dead, corrupt entity out of a grave, to overtake his own club, within a decade, is not a shrewd guy for me.

Nor, on leaving his successor to come in and clean up the turmoil, anger, fraction and huge disappointment left behind in his wake.

But for me, his shrewdness was in lining his own pocket, right up to the end. 👍

Last edited:
Sorry LC20, but for me, any CEO that allowed a dead, corrupt entity out of a grave, to overtake his own club, within a decade, is not a shrewd guy for me.

Nor on leaving his successor to come in and clean up the turmoil, anger, fraction and huge disappointment left behind in his wake.

But for me, his shrewdness was in lining his own pocket, right up to the end. 👍
Yes POD. I left out the allowing the cheating to go on as I've discussed this to death and thought everyone knows my opinion on that disgraceful episode that is still being ignored to this day.

The thing is, Peter Lawwell is a pretty shrewd guy. That he has been an asset to Celtic I think is without question. I know he is a divisive figure and our European stock has declined but he has delivered unprecedented domestic dominance.

Until this season. But even then he didn't sell on any of our best players last summer because we are going for the 10. Further funds were also released for new players. Can we argue with that?

The players that have been brought in have not performed. None of them with the exception of Turnbull and maybe Soro. And those that were kept - French Eddie, Ajer, Christie even - have, to various extents, regressed this season. I don't think this could have been foreseen?

The question is that changes are needed on an off the pitch and how will this be implemented as we transition from one CE to another.
A very fair summing up LC20. We can't deny the club has spent money, I think we also have to concede they tried to strengthen the positions we wanted strengthened. The players brought in have simply not been good enough. A collective failure without doubt. Not all down to PL.

The problem is we have our own virus now sweeping through Celtic park, its taking the stuffing out of the players and its that strong it knocks out the supporters who watch the games and forces them into isolation because of the big riddy it leaves on them, a vaccine can be ready for the start of June but only if the Celtic board are willing to invest in the research required, until then we must keep our social distance from the virus, the media and the telly.

The hope is that the support will be vaccinated as a group from the Lennon 20/21 agent prior to the 1st august 2021.

A very fair summing up LC20. We can't deny the club has spent money, I think we also have to concede they tried to strengthen the positions we wanted strengthened. The players brought in have simply not been good enough. A collective failure without doubt. Not all down to PL.
The guys at the top are the ones that hire managers and recruitment, they are to blame as much as anyone. It does do my tits in that Lawell is spoken about having 'won' 29 trophies or whatever it was. Lets be honest it should have been 39, we should have won about 9 trebles in a row, but he chose to go it cheap when the huns died.

According to Lennon he’s looking forward to the summer rebuild - this will be an exciting project for him.
An exciting project for HIM? You are fkn delusional Neil. You have become one arrogant patronising sod. If you are not gone shortly I will give not another penny until you are.
He's starting to remind me of one of those people you bump into at work
No interest, thinks the work owes him a living and gets away with murder because management daren't go against him.

He thinks he's the best employee that the place has ever had
Every one else can't stand him and wonders what he's got to do to get sacked

No interest, thinks the work owes him a living and gets away with murder because management daren't go against him.

It's one thing to call him out for being a shite manager, but that's a load of shite (y),
possibly one of a handful that do give a fuck in that dressing room

I don’t know if he thinks he’s the best employee ever but some of his comments would lead you conclude he thinks we owe him a living and our everlasting gratitude.

Members online

Latest posts

Back