CIVIL WAR WITHIN THE CELTIC SUPPORT

BILLCOWIE1958

Only last week we were all rejoicing the fact that the Club had won its 10th successive domestic trophy

7 short days later and after a generation defining General Election result the GREEN BRIGADE appeared to have taken it upon themselves to become arbiters of who is and isn't welcome at Celtic Park and once again plunged our good name into the gutter
What gives them the idea that they can decide who is welcome or otherwise at our stadium?

Personally I wouldn't give a toss if the Green Brigade were locked out of Parkhead permanently
I believe that a fair many of them are a bunch of chancers who's sole intent is gaining self recognition and employing shock tactics to achieve their aims

On a few occasions in recent seasons the Board have withdrawn their right to go to certain matches but have relented and reinstated their access
Perhaps it's now time after yesterday's embarrassment to deny the Green Brigade the platform to promote their political views at our home games One way of achieving that would be to close the standing section and possibly changing the words of the Club's charter of
'A CLUB OPEN TO ALL' to 'A CLUB OPEN TO ALL AS LONG AS THEY DON"T CAUSE US EMBARRASSMENT'
No doubt many of them would still attend our home games but instead of being concentrated en mass they could be spread more thinly around the stadium
This would involve disruption to other fans so perhaps a better idea might be to withdraw Season Tickets for their current area and reinstate normal seating there
With the current waiting list for Season Tickets the only ones suffering by such actions would be the GREEN BRIGADE themselves

The ball is firmly in the GREEN BRIGADES court Respect everyone's decisions and beliefs or ship out

The GREEN BRIGADE no doubt do good charity works and bring a good atmosphere to our ground in match days but can't help themselves from going too far on occasion

Celtic were a successful and loved Club long before the GREEN BRIGADE appeared on the scene and their disappearance from our stadium wouldn't change that in the slightest

HH🍀

Only last week we were all rejoicing the fact that the Club had won its 10th successive domestic trophy

7 short days later and after a generation defining General Election result the GREEN BRIGADE appeared to have taken it upon themselves to become arbiters of who is and isn't welcome at Celtic Park and once again plunged our good name into the gutter
What gives them the idea that they can decide who is welcome or otherwise at our stadium?

Personally I wouldn't give a toss if the Green Brigade were locked out of Parkhead permanently
I believe that a fair many of them are a bunch of chancers who's sole intent is gaining self recognition and employing shock tactics to achieve their aims

On a few occasions in recent seasons the Board have withdrawn their right to go to certain matches but have relented and reinstated their access
Perhaps it's now time after yesterday's embarrassment to deny the Green Brigade the platform to promote their political views at our home games One way of achieving that would be to close the standing section and possibly changing the words of the Club's charter of
'A CLUB OPEN TO ALL' to 'A CLUB OPEN TO ALL AS LONG AS THEY DON"T CAUSE US EMBARRASSMENT'
No doubt many of them would still attend our home games but instead of being concentrated en mass they could be spread more thinly around the stadium
This would involve disruption to other fans so perhaps a better idea might be to withdraw Season Tickets for their current area and reinstate normal seating there
With the current waiting list for Season Tickets the only ones suffering by such actions would be the GREEN BRIGADE themselves

The ball is firmly in the GREEN BRIGADES court Respect everyone's decisions and beliefs or ship out

The GREEN BRIGADE no doubt do good charity works and bring a good atmosphere to our ground in match days but can't help themselves from going too far on occasion

Celtic were a successful and loved Club long before the GREEN BRIGADE appeared on the scene and their disappearance from our stadium wouldn't change that in the slightest

HH🍀
No harm to ye bill, but your opinion is a wee bit over the top( and that's me putting it as nicely as I can). Just because they told some oul wrinkly fucker to fuck off. It's not a week ago that the same wrinkly fucker was embarrassing himself drunk out of his head at the cup final, but that's ok, because it's only "rod". Will Celtic ban him for his antics? NO. This bullshit needs to be put to bed and forget about it and move on.

As always, you have conveyed your points in a constructive and well thought out manner, Bill. I also think it was wise to wait a couple of days to raise these issues at a time when cooler heads usually prevail; however - there are still a couple of points that I feel The Green Brigade need to be defended on:

1. I do agree that the GB cannot be arbiters of who is/are welcome to support the club at Celtic Park. On the other hand, I don't think the board should have absolute control in that task either.

I take the point that they may be regarded as guardians of the club, but they wouldn't have a club to be guardians of if they summarily dismiss big sections of the support when they take umbrage.

If they were to take the step of further punitive measures against the GB, then how long before they start arbitrarily taking out each small group or individual who disagrees with their stance on certain issues.

2. As mentioned on a previous thread (notably by Pope Mikus), while the slogan of: A CLUB OPEN TO ALL sounds very appealing and in keeping with our charitable values and foundations, I think we have to be very careful of what that entails. If that is the ethos we apply, then we cannot draw lines on who can/can't be Celtic Park attendees. Do we then welcome those whose criminality is of the worst kind imaginable? Do we welcome terror groups who want to foist absolute hatred and violence upon our opponents? Do we welcome those who only see Celtic as a promotional vehicle and an opportunity to advertise their own 'brand'?

I agree that the GB should focus more on footballing issues pertaining to Celtic. I don't think it's necessary for them to bait and antagonise our rivals and I don't think it is necessary for them to single out individuals associated with the club.

Their TIFO relating to our legends are spectacular and these are the direct way to support the club. Their singing brings an added atmosphere to many domestic games that can often be flat and the players appear to appreciate it, as they have a tendency to veer towards that section of the crowd in the aftermath of a victory.

They certainly do have to have a word with themselves and appreciate that they don't have priority as Celtic fans. There are plenty of fans who contribute their time and energy to worthwhile causes who don't get the gratitude or acknowledgement that the GB (deservedly) get. Ultimately, they have a voice and an opinion which they are as entitled to air as much as anybody else, but a football match isn't the most appropriate place to air it and perhaps they have to also understand that not everyone is in universal agreement with their stance on some subjects.

What I do find ironic about the GB is, is that I have never happened across a group of 20 folk who are in complete compliance and agreement with each other, let alone 2,000? What makes it ironic, is that they are often want to call other fans sheep for not railing against the board, when in actual fact - they would have to be sheep themselves if they were to unilaterally stand behind their own leaders affs beliefs and ethos without question or compromise?

As I mentioned previously, Bill - another well-constructed post which is intended to advise and educate sections of our support. I love the GB myself and I happen to agree with many (not all) of their positions; however - like all of the rest of us, they are NOT indispensable and perhaps they should take this opportunity to reflect and remember what it is we all have in common and not all that which divides us.

The headline "CIVIL WAR" is way OTT, but while we're at it, when are the Green Brigade going to stop playing silly buggers with fireworks. Apart from putting other fans in danger, (burns, scarred for life, loss of eye etc.), fans with respiratory problems (of which there are many), could become seriously ill or even die, plus they are costing the club 10's of thousands in fines. So we have to ask, why do it? To me it is just more evidence of immaturity and attention seeking with complete disregard for other fans and the clubs finances.

Civil War!? Not so sure about that. What I've noticed on the many threads here are some common themes that we largely agree on.
1. No one has a monopoly on what Celtic stands for; with millions of supporters worldwide we're going to have different opinions. There's only 4 people live in our house and we all had different views on the KT situation but were universal in dismissing the snake for what he is.
2. GB are considered OTT on occasion; for different reasons, politics, pyros, etc.
3. GB are considered mostly to contribute both to the atmosphere and good name of the club (tifos, foodbank drive, charity fundraisers)
4. Boris Johnson is a c**t - I don't think I have to qualify this.

And you touch on at least a few of these Bill.
For me I don't see a civil war, I see a time when too many people are too easily distracted. Don't be offended by someone being told to f**k off be offended by the people whose only growth industry is foodbanks and be offended by anyone who openly condones the same.

If Rod can express his opinions in public ( his Boris tweet) why should'nt the GB be allowed to do the same.
I love the GB, their pro-Palestinian display made me so proud to be a Celtic supporter.
Normally I wouldn't condone political banners at football matches, but In a world which ignores the plight of the Palestinian people who have had their land stolen, been forced to live in a concentration camp (Gaza), unable to experience freedom, suppressed and mocked, attacked with phosphorous bombs, children tortured in Israeli prisons etc. I too was proud to be a Celtic supporter when I saw that pro-Palestinian display.

It seems to me the GB see themselves as the soul of Celtic.my gripe us they sing more songs about the Provos than they do about Celtic. So who are they actually supporting with song after song about filling holsters?

Those songs inspire no one on the park. Another fine on the way too. They either start supporting the team and club or are told to go as a group. They can be given seats spread throughout the ground. The vast majority don't join in with their Provo songs. I for one am fucking sick listening to a self indulgent group who when it comes to actually supporting the Republican cause through marching are AWOL. Where were they in the recent Govan march? Probably sewing together another fucking banner.

HH🍀
Great post 👍 👍 👍

It seems to me the GB see themselves as the soul of Celtic.my gripe us they sing more songs about the Provos than they do about Celtic. So who are they actually supporting with song after song about filling holsters?

Those songs inspire no one on the park. Another fine on the way too. They either start supporting the team and club or are told to go as a group. They can be given seats spread throughout the ground. The vast majority don't join in with their Provo songs. I for one am fucking sick listening to a self indulgent group who when it comes to actually supporting the Republican cause through marching are AWOL. Where were they in the recent Govan march? Probably sewing together another fucking banner.
Another great post !! 👍👍👍

I'm not sure that's how they see themselves TV but if it is, I can see exactly were you are coming from.
Still can't say I'm comfortable with the idea of banning a group sine die or even splitting them up to reduce their voice, because we don't agree on everything or think they are a bit up themselves.

My kids would've been on the streets years ago if I applied that logic.

I don't want to see them banned because they do a lot of good, but it's time to start behaving in a way that's not detrimental to the club or or offensive to many of our fans.
I quite like the atmosphere that the pyros create, but we all know its against the rules so stop doing it. Everytime one of those boys let off a flare they know full well the club will be fined and possibly worse but they dont seem to give a shit, I don't get that.

HH🍀
Bill you're well respected on here by myself and many others and on this occasion I agree with you. Who exactly knows how many celtic fans are Tories,labour,SNP or lib dems? I'd guess no one. For me, and I do try to stay out of the political side of things this banner was uncalled for imo of course because we cannot claim to be a club for all except Tories that many on the board as we know are politics and football shouldn't and dont mix well. To me all are welcome as long as they keep their politics outside. HH

Rod Stewart tweeted support for someone who is widely acknowledged as a right wing psychopath ( read what his former boss Max Hastings has to say about him). Given the history of the Tories in Scotland since 1979, Rod has shown crass insensitivity to his fellow Celtic supporters, many of whom have been at the sharp end of Tory policies in the past, in the present and no doubt in the future.
I think people who terrorise the working class, the sick and the elderly should be confronted wherever they raise their ugly head. This applies to those who support them too.
Tory austerity (according to the BMJ) has killed 120-130,000 people up to 2014. That's the people Rod was tweeting support for. The people who did this.
I would find it very hard not to slap someone who supported that.

Given that our club was founded to feed the poor should our supporters not oppose policies and governments that saw a massive rise in the need for Food-banks?

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't condone political banners at football matches, but In a world which ignores the plight of the Palestinian people who have had their land stolen, been forced to live in a concentration camp (Gaza), unable to experience freedom, suppressed and mocked, attacked with phosphorous bombs, children tortured in Israeli prisons etc. I too was proud to be a Celtic supporter when I saw that pro-Palestinian display.
Many and mostof us were but it's the other stuff imagine a closed jungle end if we drew the rangers in the last 16? These are things that must be taken into consideration I admire the green brigade but their methods at times leave a lot to be desired . How would they feel I wonder if the rest of the stadium held up banners saying f** the green brigade they dont represent us(just hypothetical but worth considering) would they change to come into line with the rest.of the support? I'm not convinced that they would does every game have to have political banners etc ?but again its 1 opinion HH

I can guarantee no one in the GB hates Tory heartless, lying bastards more than me. Maybe as much, not more. I wouldn't however used Celtic Park to voice that though. The GB are like a group of right ons. They see themselves as political gurus who take up the causes of many. I applaud their political conscience, I don't applaud how they exercise it on the back of our club. To me they are plastic provos and until I see them in the same numbers at a republican march that will remain.

As a young guy I was passionately in support of the Miners. I went to locket lines, marches, got into scrapes. I didn't sing about them at a game. If you profess such commitment, do something that shows you care. Standing annonomously in a crowd singing about filling an empty holster when you can't put a pair of fucking trainers on to march to me is fucking emb Warressing. It is used to generate our club by our enemies and worse than that, it inspires no cunt.

I'm sick of listening to them at away games with song after song about the IRA. We are not the IRA, we are Celtic. I wish they would remember that. We have the best so gs in the world of football. The team needs them to get behind them, not indulge in bollocks when they have shown when republicans march they don't have any to join them.

They remind me of the line from Blackadder's Col Melchick. We are right behind you, to which Blacker adds, about 26 miles behind us. If Ireland had to rely on the singing Seamstress' back in the day, it would still be under UK rule. When they get behind the team they are a sight to behold. Happens too infrequently for my liking.

Rod Stewart congratulated Boris in much the same way he probably would have congratulated Steven Gerrard had his side won the League Cup. No idea if he wanted the former to win, he certainly didn't want to see a victory for the latter. His tweet wasn't supporting it was congratulating the winner. There is a difference. To me this is all a storm in a teacup. Rod dished some out to the GB who responded. They don't really care what the wider support thinks of what they do - whether it's positive or negative - and it's surprising that so many people get annoyed when it suits them. It's their opinion, might not be yours or that of the majority but it's an opinion and they should be free to express it.

I'm sick of listening to them at away games with song after song about the IRA. We are not the IRA, we are Celtic. I wish they would remember that. We have the best so gs in the world of football. The team needs them to get behind them, not indulge in bollocks when they have shown when republicans march they don't have any to join them.
Couldn't agree more TV1 you've hit it right on the head its becoming a case of Celtic games are their platform for political reasons. That's not what I believe Celtic to be. If they want do it outside the stadium the celtic supporters are being tarred with the same brush unfairly so. Like you I hate the tories with venomous passion. For every good they do they are dragging our clubs name into the mud and it's a great step forward coupled by our 20th fine in 12 seasons we will be punished more severely than in the past if this continues of that I've no doubt HH

Rod Stewart congratulated Boris in much the same way he probably would have congratulated Steven Gerrard had his side won the League Cup. No idea if he wanted the former to win, he certainly didn't want to see a victory for the latter. His tweet wasn't supporting it was congratulating the winner. There is a difference. To me this is all a storm in a teacup. Rod dished some out to the GB who responded. They don't really care what the wider support thinks of what they do - whether it's positive or negative - and it's surprising that so many people get annoyed when it suits them. It's their opinion, might not be yours or that of the majority but it's an opinion and they should be free to express it.
Freedom of expression is paramount WC in a civilised society is it still an opinion free to Express if we are hit with an empty stadium in the last 16 or even v Copenhagen? Resulting in the vast majority of the support being punished for something they disagree with a minority group on? I'm not saying I'm right simply posing the question do real Celtic supporters (not saying that they are not) truly not care what the majority a vast majority at that not care about the rest of the Celtic family if not then changed days indeed from when I began following Celtic as a youngster HH

Back