CIVIL WAR WITHIN THE CELTIC SUPPORT

Sorry, Bill. Completely overblown. The Captain said it best here:
True icafiero but if they are allowed their freedom of speech and protest then so must all? It's not the majority who are putting the club in jeopardy of a stadium closure. Still theres worse going on in the world I just think sometimes their protests aren't very well thought out like the Palestine one which made us all proud Hh

Insults freely fly around all football grounds, Celtic Park included. I'll tell you a wee story. Willie Wallace had a young Aussie star who he recommenced to Celtic and organised a trial via John Clark. He was going to have him stay with some friends of his but they were pensioners so he asked me if I could assist. We put the boy up for a few months and I dropped him at Celtic - a right good player BTW but as the trial was organised by unconventional means - his face didn't seem to fit. Anyway I took him along to his first Celtic game - the Champions League qualifier second leg against Shakter Karagandy in August 2013. We came back from a 2-0 away leg defeat to win 3-0. James Forrest got the decisive third goal in the last minute.

We had to endure this "Celtic supporter" who sat behind us and called our players - especially James Forrest (who was a receiving the treatment regularly at the time) for absolutely everything, particularly the ultra offensive c word throughout the match. At the end he was all happy at the win but he'd wasted the game and embarrassed me, WW and Celtic - so I had a word with him. What was remarkable was the number of other supporters who came forward to support me and the guy was surrounded by about a dozen other fans who left him in no doubt that he had acted like a complete moron and should instead try to support the team.

That Aussie boy incidentally returned home, set up his own business and is now a multi-millionaire. The day he arrived in Glasgow, I sat him down and put on a DVD of the 1967 European Cup Final. He was astonished as he only knew Willie as an older man who had some contacts in the UK at clubs and was an ex-player somewhere or other!

Only last week we were all rejoicing the fact that the Club had won its 10th successive domestic trophy

7 short days later and after a generation defining General Election result the GREEN BRIGADE appeared to have taken it upon themselves to become arbiters of who is and isn't welcome at Celtic Park and once again plunged our good name into the gutter
What gives them the idea that they can decide who is welcome or otherwise at our stadium?

Personally I wouldn't give a toss if the Green Brigade were locked out of Parkhead permanently
I believe that a fair many of them are a bunch of chancers who's sole intent is gaining self recognition and employing shock tactics to achieve their aims

On a few occasions in recent seasons the Board have withdrawn their right to go to certain matches but have relented and reinstated their access
Perhaps it's now time after yesterday's embarrassment to deny the Green Brigade the platform to promote their political views at our home games One way of achieving that would be to close the standing section and possibly changing the words of the Club's charter of
'A CLUB OPEN TO ALL' to 'A CLUB OPEN TO ALL AS LONG AS THEY DON"T CAUSE US EMBARRASSMENT'
No doubt many of them would still attend our home games but instead of being concentrated en mass they could be spread more thinly around the stadium
This would involve disruption to other fans so perhaps a better idea might be to withdraw Season Tickets for their current area and reinstate normal seating there
With the current waiting list for Season Tickets the only ones suffering by such actions would be the GREEN BRIGADE themselves

The ball is firmly in the GREEN BRIGADES court Respect everyone's decisions and beliefs or ship out

The GREEN BRIGADE no doubt do good charity works and bring a good atmosphere to our ground in match days but can't help themselves from going too far on occasion

Celtic were a successful and loved Club long before the GREEN BRIGADE appeared on the scene and their disappearance from our stadium wouldn't change that in the slightest

HH🍀
I agree pal. Because they raise money for charities they feel immune to criticism. Not at the cost of our clubs reputation. If they choose to walk away then fine. Celtic park will find it's voice again.

Just read the posts on the Civil War thread. The GB is like marmite you either love them or hate them. To me there best tifo was their show of support to the Palestinians. I didn't like their banner on the tories and Rod Stewart although I understand where it came from. Tories are hated with a vengeance up here in Scotland so their stand on that was to me reasonable. But to tell Sir Rod to F O, for congratulating the Prime Minister wasn't right. Now in my many years of supporting our great club I have congrtulated rival teams supporters on their wins over us. Congratulating someone on a win birthday wedding or anything else is respect. GB obviously don't respect Rod Stewart that's fine but in the end show some decorum rather than telling him to FO.

Civil War!? Not so sure about that. What I've noticed on the many threads here are some common themes that we largely agree on.
1. No one has a monopoly on what Celtic stands for; with millions of supporters worldwide we're going to have different opinions. There's only 4 people live in our house and we all had different views on the KT situation but were universal in dismissing the snake for what he is.
2. GB are considered OTT on occasion; for different reasons, politics, pyros, etc.
3. GB are considered mostly to contribute both to the atmosphere and good name of the club (tifos, foodbank drive, charity fundraisers)
4. Boris Johnson is a c**t - I don't think I have to qualify this.

And you touch on at least a few of these Bill.
For me I don't see a civil war, I see a time when too many people are too easily distracted. Don't be offended by someone being told to f**k off be offended by the people whose only growth industry is foodbanks and be offended by anyone who openly condones the same.
What has Boris Johnston got to do with Celtic FC. Why are some Celtic fans politically abject about Boris Johnston? What part does terrorism, Lebanon and Corbyn play in Celtic FC? Too many fans gibbering on about the wrong things. Celtic are a football club and through football, are open to all for footballs sake. Our First manager W. Mailey was a conservative seems like some Celtic fans don’t know this.. Celtic FC.

What has Boris Johnston got to do with Celtic FC. Why are some Celtic fans politically abject about Boris Johnston? What part does terrorism, Lebanon and Corbyn play in Celtic FC? Too many fans gibbering on about the wrong things. Celtic are a football club and through football, are open to all for footballs sake. Our First manager

W. Mailey was a conservative seems like some Celtic fans don’t know this.. Celtic FC.

Maybe that was because he did not shout about it.
Lost me on the Terrorism, Lebanon and Corbyn bit

What has Boris Johnston got to do with Celtic FC. Why are some Celtic fans politically abject about Boris Johnston? What part does terrorism, Lebanon and Corbyn play in Celtic FC? Too many fans gibbering on about the wrong things. Celtic are a football club and through football, are open to all for footballs sake. Our First manager W. Mailey was a conservative seems like some Celtic fans don’t know this.. Celtic FC.
You'd be as well as asking why Celtic fans like peas better than carrots? What has anything mentioned in your post got anything to do with anything?

While Celtic may connect us, we all have lives that exist beyond the club. We have families. We work. We develop relationships and we have other interests.

The fact that we support Celtic doesn't make other things disappear from our range of object permanence. By the way, who mentioned terrorism, Lebanon, or Corbyn?

Boris Johnson might have little to do with Celtic, but rest assured his policies will impact upon Celtic fans and has anyone given thought to where British clubs may stand in Europe, particularly when it comes to obtaining work permits for foreign players post-Brexit?

Freedom of movement within the European Union will not necessarily apply to players hoping to sign for a club that plays in a country outwith the union.

I was at a Lebanese community Hogmanay party last year in Nice. We were a group of five Scots and one English - all the rest were from Lebanon living in France. Their Home-land wine was excellent, food was amazing, the belly dancers were ostentatious to say the least and they loved having us there particularly for Auld Lang Sine at the Bells. A great night, very friendly people.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back