Gutted that they left...

Docco

Which Celtic players over the years when they left the club either by retirement or a transfer, did you genuinely feel gutted about not seeing them in the hoops anymore?
Are there any current players you would feel the same way about given Ange's "players will leave" comment?

For me, the earliest gutter was when Charlie Nicholas left.
As a 11 year old just getting into football, he was the absolute business!!
Larsson was the biggest tear jerker of them all and then I'd say after that, it was Broony (obv).
No other leaving Celtic player has ever bothered me and I don't think that if any of the current team left, it would bother me much

Yerselfs?

My hero was King Kenny but I was too young to really be gutted when he left.

Charlie Nick was a sore loss and like everyone else was astonished that he chose Arsenal rather than Liverpool which would have really suited his style. So instead of being revered as one of the best footballers of the 1980s he strutted about London quaffing champers with bimbos (OK, I can see the attraction in this) and wasted so much of his talent.

I think the biggest slap in the puss for me was when Brendan Rodgers quit us for fecking Leicester City! But he wasn't a player so this probably doesn't count.

Kenny Dalglish. Was about fifteen when he left. Was absolutely scunnered.
Same for me John I was 15 at the time as well. Could never get used to seeing Kenny in that Liverpool strip and at £440,000 they stole him from us. I was absolutely inconsolable at the time.

In terms of Charlie Nicholas he spoiled any admiration I had for him early doors...I met him on a few occasions and I can say hand on heart say he was a complete knob who was full of it and no where near as good as he thought he was.
Henrik gave us everything and more ...so whilst it was emotional when he left we couldn't ask for any more.
The next time I feel like this might just be when Ange leaves hopefully that's not anytime soon. 🇮🇪

Which Celtic players over the years when they left the club either by retirement or a transfer, did you genuinely feel gutted about not seeing them in the hoops anymore?
Are there any current players you would feel the same way about given Ange's "players will leave" comment?

Larsson was the biggest tear jerker of them all and then I'd say after that, it was Broony (obv).
No other leaving Celtic player has ever bothered me and I don't think that if any of the current team left, it would bother me much

Yerselfs?
Oh yeah Henke for me as well Big time 💚

Yerselfs?
Must be about same age Docco was chick nick for me as well.
I remember my brothers taking me to the game ( rangers end) came home with a CN poster was soaked and ruined by time I got home.

The biggest gut wrench was Henrik but so different a sensation.

I understood the situation with Henrik, how he couldve left us for any club in the world at any time but stayed.

Nicholas at the time , my age, I couldn't understand, too young.

Leave Celtic? 🤣🤣
Who in their right mind would ever do that this is the pinnacle ( my 10 yr old brain was saying).

He was a knob, an extremely talented knob yes I mind a goal for Scotland, think it mightve been v Switzerland or at a tournament he keeping uppied it for a sec then shot from about 40 yards and scored , sensational.

Henrik was and still is respected by all as a person first and world class player he was , my first memory of him was the Sweden WC side at USA that side went to the semis and 3rd/4th place play off V a brilliant Bulgarian side.
Couldn't believe it when we signed him.

Lastly the BR episode, by far the worst as bridie said though he definately counts in my book.

I've never seen a club go from here ⬆️ to here ⬇️ so quickly, it shattered us all in more ways than one.

Last edited:
Kenny Dalglish, Davy Hay , George Connolly , Lou Macari ,thank god Bobby Lennox never left I'd have thrown myself off a tall building , looking at the players you can guess my favourite era
I would agree with you except Macari, he started to feign injury and was always on the treatment table at the end. His heart wasn’t in the club and wanted away because he had large gambling debts

Back