In defence of Lennon. Our regression is down to Lawwell

Theverdict1

I have been critical of Lenny and the football we have played recently, I am not alone. I have had to remind myself that this problem of performance levels started way before Lawell pulled him out of his back pocket.

You would need to be a deluded happy clapper not to concede that over the last two years we have regressed as a force. It’s easy to see why. Over that period we have waved goodbye to three match winners. Dembelle, Armstrong and Paddy. With only Bayo coming in.

Our defence hasn’t been looked at and in the summer Boyata and Benkovic leave to put a spike in the wheels re CL qualification.

The need to freshen up the squad and buy defenders was vital. We did nothing. We did what every board have always done when we are in a position to move clear ahead. Shat it.

Lenny is in the position of trying to lift a squad that through injuries has seen us having to play Hayes at left back. Burke as a centre forward. The absence of new blood of the quality required to get us an invite to the bash never mind a seat at the top table, is a confirmation to me at least, that Lawell feeds us a line about aspirations, then does fuck all to help realise them.

People went into meltdown over Rogers. But, the question I felt needed answered was why? Why did he leave? I was more worried about that, as my attitude to anyone at Celtic is simple, you don’t want to be here, fuck of them. I am convinced that it was Lawells lack of cheque signing ability, unless it’s his own totally unjustified bonuses is the problem.

I said it at the time, Rogers leaving is not our main problem. It’s Lawell staying.

Lenny has a team that looks tired. That needs an injection of class. That relies on loan deal players. That is set to lose our two main CB’s. That hasn’t found a back up for KT. Or a replacement for big Lustig. The dip in form has been a gradual decline that stretches back two seasons and is due to the board doing what they always do, just hope everything is ok.

Sevco haven’t got nearer us through some masterstroke. They have because we have gone back to meet them. We have gone from 5.0, 4.0 going on 10, to a winner in the 86th minute. That right there shows how much we have stalled.

Over the last two season we have only bought Bayo and Shved, who looks good, but due to a fall out stayed with his team. We have tried out academy players, and for me, not one of them has what it takes to hold down a shirt. Not one.

We should not be surprised we have lost our zip. It’s a natural result of doing fuck all too fucking long. This is not Lenny’s fault. There are co cerns I have about his selections, starting Johnson twice was a mistake. The boy can’t cope with our league. He is too slight and easily pushed off the ball.

We have ground out wins, which is a great attribute, but it doesn’t help us move up a notch as a team. It only papers over glaring cracks that we all see. When I say all, I mean all except the blazers. All apart from Lawell.

His failure to bring in McGinn and the defenders required to negotiate last year’s CL qualification was a disaster. It cost us over £60m, but he takes a £2.3m bonus, which was more than we spent in the January window. Answers on a post card please.

Our decline is down to his reluctance to invest in better players we can eventually sell on. We are running on empty at the moment. We will be even more empty come the summer where instead of one or two players means we need about five. How can that be good management? How can that match up to the seat at the top table bollocks?

Lenny talks about an overhaul. Even admitting that is what we need is absolute proof of the scale of mismanagement of our progression. It is criminal negligence on the part of Lawell.

My main fear about Lenny therefore isn’t this run of form. My main issue is that he is Lawells puppet. Someone who will accept Lawells total lack of ambition. Someone who is happy with what Lawell says instead of focusing on what he does.

Let’s be clear. Sevco feel like they aren’t far away from stopping us. If we continue with our let’s hope it’s all great they will eventually be right. They will find money from wherever and more importantly they will spend it.

Will we do the same? Well we have done fuck all for two years. Lawell in charge fills me with dread if he continues to fail us all by being happy to bank cash for our best players, but, has a mental block when seeing the need to spend it on players we all know should already be here.

Every window I get my hopes up we will address not only our glaring deficiencies, but also that class we need in Europe. Every window I am left seething at our lack of balls.

I have to be honest and say that I have zero faith Lawell will do what needs to be done, and if Lenny is given the job he will accept that.

Our decline isn’t Lenny’s fault. Our continued decline may however be accelerated if he is given the job as this would confirm out attempts to get axseat at that top table was nothing but Lawell bullshit.

He wants a seat at the top table, but isn’t even prepared to pay for the ticket. That’s our number one problem.

All the talk about the next manager being a top euro coach is nonsense. If Lawell wouldn’t even look for the tin for Rogers, I have no optimism that would change for anybody abdcwho in their right mind would put their career under pressure with a board who have been seen to only talk a good game?

I know I wouldn’t.

This summer is crucial. Like January was, like last summer was. Will we change? I hope so, but I won’t be surprised if we don’t and go cheap yet again.

We must or 10iar will be jeopardised and it will have fuck all to do with what that pile of shite across town so. It will yet again be a self inflicted headshot. Talk to any Sevconian and they will tell you their main hope is our board. And who could blame them for thinking that when we think the exact same thing?

They are a fucking disgrace and the bastards better get not only their finger out, but the tin. If they don’t, they should be chased along London road. Over to you Peter. Get it sorted.

I have been critical of Lenny and the football we have played recently, I am not alone. I have had to remind myself that this problem of performance levels started way before Lawell pulled him out of his back pocket.

You would need to be a deluded happy clapper not to concede that over the last two years we have regressed as a force. It’s easy to see why. Over that period we have waved goodbye to three match winners. Dembelle, Armstrong and Paddy. With only Bayo coming in.

Our defence hasn’t been looked at and in the summer Boyata and Benkovic leave to put a spike in the wheels re CL qualification.

The need to freshen up the squad and buy defenders was vital. We did nothing. We did what every board have always done when we are in a position to move clear ahead. Shat it.

Lenny is in the position of trying to lift a squad that through injuries has seen us having to play Hayes at left back. Burke as a centre forward. The absence of new blood of the quality required to get us an invite to the bash never mind a seat at the top table, is a confirmation to me at least, that Lawell feeds us a line about aspirations, then does fuck all to help realise them.

People went into meltdown over Rogers. But, the question I felt needed answered was why? Why did he leave? I was more worried about that, as my attitude to anyone at Celtic is simple, you don’t want to be here, fuck of them. I am convinced that it was Lawells lack of cheque signing ability, unless it’s his own totally unjustified bonuses is the problem.

I said it at the time, Rogers leaving is not our main problem. It’s Lawell staying.

Lenny has a team that looks tired. That needs an injection of class. That relies on loan deal players. That is set to lose our two main CB’s. That hasn’t found a back up for KT. Or a replacement for big Lustig. The dip in form has been a gradual decline that stretches back two seasons and is due to the board doing what they always do, just hope everything is ok.

Sevco haven’t got nearer us through some masterstroke. They have because we have gone back to meet them. We have gone from 5.0, 4.0 going on 10, to a winner in the 86th minute. That right there shows how much we have stalled.

Over the last two season we have only bought Bayo and Shved, who looks good, but due to a fall out stayed with his team. We have tried out academy players, and for me, not one of them has what it takes to hold down a shirt. Not one.

We should not be surprised we have lost our zip. It’s a natural result of doing fuck all too fucking long. This is not Lenny’s fault. There are co cerns I have about his selections, starting Johnson twice was a mistake. The boy can’t cope with our league. He is too slight and easily pushed off the ball.

We have ground out wins, which is a great attribute, but it doesn’t help us move up a notch as a team. It only papers over glaring cracks that we all see. When I say all, I mean all except the blazers. All apart from Lawell.

His failure to bring in McGinn and the defenders required to negotiate last year’s CL qualification was a disaster. It cost us over £60m, but he takes a £2.3m bonus, which was more than we spent in the January window. Answers on a post card please.

Our decline is down to his reluctance to invest in better players we can eventually sell on. We are running on empty at the moment. We will be even more empty come the summer where instead of one or two players means we need about five. How can that be good management? How can that match up to the seat at the top table bollocks?

Lenny talks about an overhaul. Even admitting that is what we need is absolute proof of the scale of mismanagement of our progression. It is criminal negligence on the part of Lawell.

My main fear about Lenny therefore isn’t this run of form. My main issue is that he is Lawells puppet. Someone who will accept Lawells total lack of ambition. Someone who is happy with what Lawell says instead of focusing on what he does.

Let’s be clear. Sevco feel like they aren’t far away from stopping us. If we continue with our let’s hope it’s all great they will eventually be right. They will find money from wherever and more importantly they will spend it.

Will we do the same? Well we have done fuck all for two years. Lawell in charge fills me with dread if he continues to fail us all by being happy to bank cash for our best players, but, has a mental block when seeing the need to spend it on players we all know should already be here.

Every window I get my hopes up we will address not only our glaring deficiencies, but also that class we need in Europe. Every window I am left seething at our lack of balls.

I have to be honest and say that I have zero faith Lawell will do what needs to be done, and if Lenny is given the job he will accept that.

Our decline isn’t Lenny’s fault. Our continued decline may however be accelerated if he is given the job as this would confirm out attempts to get axseat at that top table was nothing but Lawell bullshit.

He wants a seat at the top table, but isn’t even prepared to pay for the ticket. That’s our number one problem.

All the talk about the next manager being a top euro coach is nonsense. If Lawell wouldn’t even look for the tin for Rogers, I have no optimism that would change for anybody abdcwho in their right mind would put their career under pressure with a board who have been seen to only talk a good game?

I know I wouldn’t.

This summer is crucial. Like January was, like last summer was. Will we change? I hope so, but I won’t be surprised if we don’t and go cheap yet again.

We must or 10iar will be jeopardised and it will have fuck all to do with what that pile of shite across town so. It will yet again be a self inflicted headshot. Talk to any Sevconian and they will tell you their main hope is our board. And who could blame them for thinking that when we think the exact same thing?

They are a fucking disgrace and the bastards better get not only their finger out, but the tin. If they don’t, they should be chased along London road. Over to you Peter. Get it sorted.
Great post TV
Absolutely spot on time for talking at the TOP Table.
If we want a seat it costs. Not the peanuts
We currently spend start spending the Money in the bank.
And it’s not £38 million on one player
But £5 million on better Quality, not projects
2 C/H = £10 m, R/B = £3/4/5 m, Mid £4/5.
Get them in and clear the guys we don’t want
So Time to stop pandering PL ACTION Time

HH ☘️

I know I wouldn’t.

Lenny didn't pick the team or set them out last night , it was JK Lenny said he changed nothing that BR implemented

So the reading by those comments he basically gives advice and makes some changes but not wholesale ones

He looked as board as everyone else last night at that performance

I know I wouldn’t.

Do you really not know why Rodgers left? Greed is your answer.
Rodgers used Celtic to get himself back in the shop window. That's the bottom line.
And as much as I agree with you on a lot about lawell, put yourself in his shoes. Would you give the fuckin rat Rodgers money to spend when you knew he was gonna jump ship at the first opportunity? I know I wouldn't.
Rodgers is a one season wonder, possibly two. He was the same with Liverpool and they roaded him. The football this season has been brutal to watch, but he did fuck all to change it. He had ran out of ideas and when the first sniff of more dough came, he fucked off. Just watch Leicester for the next two seasons will do ok, then the rot will set in.
Yes we obviously need to strengthen certain positions and hopefully with a new committed manager that will happen.

Context:

April 4th 2018

Celtic 0 v Dundee 0

Manager: Brendan Rodgers.

Celtic - pushing for title, a handful of points ahead of Sevco - a floudering shambles of a club with a comedy bullfighting manager recently relieved of his job for their under-20s coach to take up the reins for a second charge.

Dundee- fighting relegation, miserable season.

April 3rd 2019

St.Mirren 0 v 2 Celtic

Manager - Neil Lennon

St.Mirren - fighting relegation but improving and recording recent positive results.

Celtic - maintain an unassailable 13 point gap at the top of the league over a Sevco team who have invested 10 million, brought in some expensive EPL players, both experienced and youth, and hired a box-office manager of legendary status to improve their team, achieving record season book sales and a run in Europe with credible results.

Verdict: We have improved...

On the verge of 8iar.
On the verge of a triple treble.
Record profits and turnover.
The Celtic way.
The new hotel
New Pitch
New lights.

but what have the Romans ever done for us..?
Agree Brim but the Defence has been needing looked at for Years.
There’s no real Investment unless CEO bonus payments are included.
It’s players on the Pitch. That put Fans in the Stands. Not lights on the Roof.
But it’s also great to see the Improvements that the Club are doing.
And yes your 100% correct no way could PL give The Traitor any cash if he was fucking off.
But we need money spent on Players and a manager to spend it.
Whoever that is.
Or we go back to Advertising on the closed parts of the Stadium again
I would like signings not loans unless they’re like Eddies where we have the option to buy.
One thing is we all want what’s best for Celtic
And I love the absolute fervour that the posters put into there posts because we all Love CELTIC. Always and Forever.

HH ☘️?

Do you really not know why Rodgers left? Greed is your answer.
Rodgers used Celtic to get himself back in the shop window. That's the bottom line.
And as much as I agree with you on a lot about lawell, put yourself in his shoes. Would you give the fuckin rat Rodgers money to spend when you knew he was gonna jump ship at the first opportunity? I know I wouldn't.
Rodgers is a one season wonder, possibly two. He was the same with Liverpool and they roaded him. The football this season has been brutal to watch, but he did fuck all to change it. He had ran out of ideas and when the first sniff of more dough came, he fucked off. Just watch Leicester for the next two seasons will do ok, then the rot will set in.
Yes we obviously need to strengthen certain positions and hopefully with a new committed manager that will happen.

I don’t know the real reason and neither do you. I do know that he was fucked off, as well all were, about standing still. Or did we not feel that?

To say it was just greed is too easy. To say would I give him the money knowing he would leave, is avoiding the issue of why he was going to leave. And if you are right he was going to go, then why not make him go? Do you actually think that Lawell knew he was going to jump ship, but decided to let him carry on? I can’t believe that and if that is the case then Lawell needs his arse kicked for doing nothing.

I think, I don’t know, but I would bet the disaster last summer, failing to qualify for the CL. No players brought in at all, told Rogers all he needed to know about the boards ambition. It certainly told me. He said in an interview we have stood still. Did you agree with that assessment? If you did, then who is to blame for that? Not Rogers.

The focus should not be Rogers, but an assessment of what he was trying to achieve and wether he was supported to do that. Diverting our issues by focusing on Rogers upping sticks when he did leaves the question why then? Why them? Leicester?

No fucking way did they even come onto his radar. For him to choose to go to them when he did tells a story. It may not fit the story we want, but I don’t believe for a minute he would have left then if he had been backed.

I called out Rogers ratio of shit signings, was pulled up for not using his Christian name, said he couldn’t see a defender if one came up and kicked his arse. I wasn’t deluded into thinking he was the messiah, as many did on this very forum, but I do recognise that whatever he wanted to achieve wasn’t forthcoming. We stood still. He obviously was angry at that, but Lawell moves on. Keeps banking bonus after bonus for fuck all.

Rogers is a symptom of deeper problems in the club. To be conned into just focusing on him leaving without wanting to know why is playing into Lawells hands.

Rogers wanted to go to a richer club in a better league. No problem with that. Going when he did to a mid table team was not his plan. The issues that led to the changing of that plan to me at least, is a worry. I don’t blame him for where we are, but, I never thought the sun shown out of his arse either. Maybe those that did are angrier knowing they called that wrong and have turned on him with increased levels of bile.

As I said, losing Rogers was not our main problem. It’s how we lost him and to say he just wanted more money is, to my mind Bull. He went because things changed. Or I should say, stayed the same old Celtic board lack of ambition.

We need to move on, but if the board continue to avoid investment, then our direction will continue to be downward as we have witnessed these last 18 months.

Last edited:
On the verge of 8iar.
On the verge of a triple treble.
Record profits and turnover.
The Celtic way.
The new hotel
New Pitch
New lights.

but what have the Romans ever done for us..?

I’d take the Romans every day. They knew how to stay ahead and were ruthless in making sure it happened. When they started to get complacent, they were toppled too though. To be fair, they were top dogs for over five centuries though.

Agree Brim but the Defence has been needing looked at for Years.
There’s no real Investment unless CEO bonus payments are included.
It’s players on the Pitch. That put Fans in the Stands. Not lights on the Roof.
But it’s also great to see the Improvements that the Club are doing.
And yes your 100% correct no way could PL give The Traitor any cash if he was fucking off.
But we need money spent on Players and a manager to spend it.
Whoever that is.
Or we go back to Advertising on the closed parts of the Stadium again
I would like signings not loans unless they’re like Eddies where we have the option to buy.
One thing is we all want what’s best for Celtic
And I love the absolute fervour that the posters put into there posts because we all Love CELTIC. Always and Forever.

HH ☘️?
Agree the squad needs investment, especially the defence. A successful football team needs to evolve continuously if it wants to remain successful. But to talk as if we are in the middle if some crisis is quite frankly ridiculous. Our next important step is who we appoint as full time Manager. Whoever is appointed will want to spend, so lets see who that is. Some people bang on about PL's bonus all the time, but lets get something straight, he gets a bonus for reaching certain targets set out beforehand by the board. Do you think DD would just let him pay himself massive bonuses because he felt like it? No. Neither do I.

Agree the squad needs investment, especially the defence. A successful football team needs to evolve continuously if it wants to remain successful. But to talk as if we are in the middle if some crisis is quite frankly ridiculous. Our next important step is who we appoint as full time Manager. Whoever is appointed will want to spend, so lets see who that is. Some people bang on about PL's bonus all the time, but lets get something straight, he gets a bonus for reaching certain targets set out beforehand by the board. Do you think DD would just let him pay himself massive bonuses because he felt like it? No. Neither do I.

Then whatever the trigger is, needs to be raised. For me getting a couple of million should be given only if we reach the CL.

I know I wouldn’t.

Where is the financial back up to your theory?

With an estimated top line income of around 105 million

And last seasons risk assessed 87 million operation costs.

What in your opinion is the correct risk to attain 105 million?

And why is it Lawells fault that we can't afford to keep players who are feeling underpaid when our operation costs are pretty much maxed out?

I cannot jump on the Lawell must go bandwagon until I see proper risk assessed alternative budgets and value added players who can fit into the Celtic risk model.

Where is the money coming from to retain players on 60K+ after tax before add-ons?

Which is what allegedly is the price for Wee Paddy, Dembele loyalty, Or Stuart Armstrong to stick around in lower quality league that allegedly stalls their growth as players?

Are you suggesting 87 Million op costs is not high enough for your liking?

Are you suggesting there are better players out there who are willing to play at 40K max per week with add ons probably included.

You have this incessant theory of how Lawell is short changing the fans.
But I have yet to see this economic miracle plan that does better than the Lawell model both on and off the field of play.

Or are you of the opinion that clubs can't die and should therefore rack up as much debts as possible chasing down glory that has so far been achieved without destroying value off the field?

I don’t know the real reason and neither do you. I do know that he was fucked off, as well all were, about standing still. Or did we not feel that?

To say it was just greed is too easy. To say would I give him the money knowing he would leave, is avoiding the issue of why he was going to leave. And if you are right he was going to go, then why not make him go? Do you actually think that Lawell knew he was going to jump ship, but decided to let him carry on? I can’t believe that and if that is the case then Lawell needs his arse kicked for doing nothing.

I think, I don’t know, but I would bet the disaster last summer, failing to qualify for the CL. No players brought in at all, told Rogers all he needed to know about the boards ambition. It certainly told me. He said in an interview we have stood still. Did you agree with that assessment? If you did, then who is to blame for that? Not Rogers.

The focus should not be Rogers, but an assessment of what he was trying to achieve and wether he was supported to do that. Diverting our issues by focusing on Rogers upping sticks when he did leaves the question why then? Why them? Leicester?

No fucking way did they even come onto his radar. For him to choose to go to them when he did tells a story. It may not fit the story we want, but I don’t believe for a minute he would have left then if he had been backed.

I called out Rogers ratio of shit signings, was pulled up for not using his Christian name, said he couldn’t see a defender if one came up and kicked his arse. I wasn’t deluded into thinking he was the messiah, as many did on this very forum, but I do recognise that whatever he wanted to achieve wasn’t forthcoming. We stood still. He obviously was angry at that, but Lawell moves on. Keeps banking bonus after bonus for fuck all.

Rogers is a symptom of deeper problems in the club. To be conned into just focusing on him leaving without wanting to know why is playing into Lawells hands.

Rogers wanted to go to a richer club in a better league. No problem with that. Going when he did to a mid table team was not his plan. The issues that led to the changing of that plan to me at least, is a worry. I don’t blame him for where we are, but, I never thought the sun shown out of his arse either. Maybe those that did are angrier knowing they called that wrong and have turned on him with increased levels of bile.

As I said, losing Rogers was not our main problem. It’s how we lost him and to say he just wanted more money is, to my mind Bull. He went because things changed. Or I should say, stayed the same old Celtic board lack of ambition.

We need to move on, but if the board continue to avoid investment, then our direction will continue to be downward as we have witnessed these last 18 months.
It was well publicised that Rodgers got a big money offer from China last year and was all set to jump ship. Now you tell me what his motives for going to manage in China would be? Let me answer that .... Money!
The reason he wasn't sacked at the time was the fact his contract would have to be paid out. However he negotiated and extra five grand a week for himself. He also had told dembele he would take him with him. The Chinese deal fell through, but when dembele was offered a big money move back to France, Rodgers wouldn't let him go. And the rest you know on that matter.
Rodgers fooled the Celtic supporters, got well paid, sold a bullshit book and got well paid for that too. He's a money hungry wee prick.
As for lawell, he obviously likes the smell of the pound too and I agree with a lot of what you say about him. I'm not for one minute condoning his bonuses or the way he conducts business. I was merely saying that had I been in his shoes with the Rodgers situation, I would have gave him fuck all money to spend either.
But you are right in saying, whoever the new manager is needs to be backed financially. Time for lawell to shite or get off the pot!

No, but they had a lovely daytime matinee of Christians fighting lions and central heating that most cooncil houses never got until 2,000 years later. And of course they were great in the Life of Brian.

Typical roman misrepresentation of events.
Fighting lions? extremely unlikely much actual fighting of lions went on, real headlines Christians briefly hiding and running from Lions before being caught mauled ripped to pieces and best parts eaten by lions.

fighting suggests a contest.

The british colonial media reported similar tales for Ireland, like Ballymurphy, where heavily armed roaming gangs of semi literate british thugs were given crown license to go murder unarmed innocent civilians -reported at the time and for decades accepted as a supposed 'gun battle'

It was well publicised that Rodgers got a big money offer from China last year and was all set to jump ship. Now you tell me what his motives for going to manage in China would be? Let me answer that .... Money!
The reason he wasn't sacked at the time was the fact his contract would have to be paid out. However he negotiated and extra five grand a week for himself. He also had told dembele he would take him with him. The Chinese deal fell through, but when dembele was offered a big money move back to France, Rodgers wouldn't let him go. And the rest you know on that matter.
Rodgers fooled the Celtic supporters, got well paid, sold a bullshit book and got well paid for that too. He's a money hungry wee prick.
As for lawell, he obviously likes the smell of the pound too and I agree with a lot of what you say about him. I'm not for one minute condoning his bonuses or the way he conducts business. I was merely saying that had I been in his shoes with the Rodgers situation, I would have gave him fuck all money to spend either.
But you are right in saying, whoever the new manager is needs to be backed financially. Time for lawell to shite or get off the pot!

If all you say is true Lawell as top kid should have got rid of him. Did he go to China? No. Let’s be clear here. I wasn’t duped into thinking he was a able to walk on water. It’s funny how when all the the things you site were happening you won’t find one post from anycunt calling him out. Not one.

It seems all his disciples are fucked off they made a cunt if their assessment doesn’t it? Hindsight is not allowed I’m afraid. If you are clearly fucked off with what you quoted, and I’m not saying you shouldn’t be, but where is the post taking him to task at the time.

Not many on here even questioned his messianic abilities. I did. And what did I get for that? Called a hun. Regardless of any of the stuff floating around it’s still boils down to leadership. Lawell should have sacked him if half of what you say is true. He didn’t. Rogers left us in a hole. I hated that, but it’s the hole I worry about more.

Back