In the cold light of day

I'm not
I'm not entirely sure they ever really went away, SN?

There have been plenty token gestures and the pretence of acceptance, but what progress our population has made has been through sheer force of will and determination.

Ffs, America elected a black President, A Catholic PM would create an apocalypse here (like that would ever happen anyway......unwritten rules as they will)!

Your correct SP, it hasn't gone away at all.

In fact its probably got worse. If the people in the media get their way, worrying about what school your future employee went to wont be an issue.

Seems the best way to stop sectarianism in Scotland (Celtic fans are not sectarian) is to ban catholic schools. ?

Some morons (Chick Young) believe this is how we stop songs like the Billy boys and the famine song being sung.

In fact its probably got worse. If the people in the media get their way, worrying about what school your future employee went to wont be an issue.

Seems the best way to stop sectarianism in Scotland (Celtic fans are not sectarian) is to ban catholic schools. ?

Some morons (Chick Young) believe this is how we stop songs like the Billy boys and the famine song being sung.

If you want to see a massive rise in sectarianism in Scotland, then you close Catholic schools,
nothing surer. The only reason the school children in Scotland are seperated in the first place is a sad story of bigotry and hatred. The good people of Scotland back in the day showed their Christian values by making their feelings known that they didn't want Catholic children sharing the schools with their children, the problem was made worse when the Irish immigrant children began arriving in numbers, so Schools had to be built to educate these poor souls.
I've a couple of points for the moronic bigots that put all the blame for Scotlands ills at the door of the Catholic faith, what do you actually mean by lets close the catholic schools? Are you really meaning take down the RC from the school sign? If that's the case do you realise how racist you sound?
My second point is, in your perfect scottish world of no Catholic Schools, do you think think our children will be made any more welcome now than they were in the bad old days? Maybe some pockets of Scotland would, I'm more than confident that there would be thousands of Scottish Catholic children who would be desperate to hear the last school bell of the day.

If people want to be offended by Irish songs it's because they either don't know or don't care about British history as whole. They hear songs and automatically think "terrorists sympathizers". Then your told about all the innocent people the IRA killed. When you ask how many innocent people in Ireland were killed there is no answer back. Collateral damage when the brits are killing people....if there wasn't an IRA innocent people wouldn't die we are told. If the brits didn't have soldiers kicking in doors and interning people. Or stood back as loyalist burned houses then there would be no need for the IRA. Ask the the offended people if they have heard of Bombay street. They wont have.
Just started reading this thread so my question might have been asked
I'm 56 years old and not heard of bombay Street i dont want to Google it incase I get the cleaned up version so what is or was bombay street??

I'm 61. I hadn't heard of it either. Google brings up a lot of options, including this one from Wikipedia on the 1969 Northern Ireland riots (link at end):

Falls–Shankill interface near Clonard Monastery
On 15 August, violence continued along the Falls/Shankill interface. Father PJ Egan of Clonard Monastery recalled that a large loyalist mob moved down Cupar Street at about 15:00 and was held back by nationalist youths.[42] Shooting began at about 15:45.[40] Egan claimed that himself and other priests at Clonard Monastery made at least four calls to the RUC for help, but none came.[42]

A small IRA party under Billy McKee was present and had two .22 rifles at their disposal. They exchanged shots with a loyalist sniper who was firing from a house on Cupar Street, but failed to dislodge him, or to halt the burning of Catholic houses in the area.[9][43] Almost all of the houses on Bombay Street were burned by the loyalists, and many others were burned on Kashmir Road and Cupar Street – the most extensive destruction of property during the riots.[44]

A loyalist sniper shot dead Gerald McAuley (15), a member of the Fianna (IRA's youth wing),[8] as he helped people flee their homes on Bombay Street.[45]

At about 18:30 the British Army's The Royal Regiment of Wales was deployed on the Falls Road.[17][40] where they were greeted with subdued applause and cheering.[9] However, despite pleas from locals, they did not move into the streets that were being attacked.[40] At about 21:35 that night, the soldiers finally took up positions at the blazing interface[40] and blocked the streets with barbed-wire barricades. Father PJ Egan recalled that the soldiers called on the loyalists to surrender but they instead began shooting and throwing petrol bombs at the soldiers.[42] The soldiers could only fire back on the orders of an officer when life was directly threatened.[46] The loyalists continued shooting and burned more Catholic-owned houses on Bombay Street,[17] but were stopped by soldiers using tear gas.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Northern_Ireland_riots

Really sick to the teeth about the old chestnut R C schools being the root
of bigotry.I remember Ally Mcoist jumping on the bandwagon at one time.
Mouthing off about something that he was completely ignorant to.
Why is it that some people think you are a strange species if you are
religious or believe in whatever.

I have worked in both and without sounding bias the ethos is entirely different.RC education teaches tolerance off all.
I always find this debate puzzling,COS at one time had their own schools.
You had to be a member to attend.
In England there are CE schools,were is the bigotry there.?
Sorry, the argument is complete tosh,individuals make choices in life.

Been away for a few days decompressing... There's a lot in this thread that I could probably respond to, but honestly at this point, why? We all have our opinions, and I've made my point as well as I think I could have. No sense in arguing further or provoking anyone.

For those late to the show, or perhaps who speed read my previous posts on this thread, I am genuinely 100% a Celtic supporter who supports the cause of the IRA (Irish independence, and after the partition, reunification). My more controversial comments were meant to provoke some internal reflection on how others see us -- specifically those who aren't Celtic supporters, but who are also inherently not opposed to our club, culture, or values and could potentially be converted to support Celtic if not for some of the more "unpleasant" actions of our support -- be that throwing coins, hurling insults, damaging property, public urination, or singing songs that they deem to be offensive. People who are not Irish but ordinary Scottish citizens who are proud of their country. People who are not religious zealots or garden variety bigots who congregate in nominally religious clubs whose purpose is to discriminate against others based on nationality or religion.

Sadly, there are a fair number of people -- mostly supports of non-Glasgow clubs -- who subscribe to the "one is as bad as the other" viewpoint. This is not a cop-out that is used for the sole purpose of slamming our club or our support (although that is sometimes the case) but a genuine belief that there is something not right with BOTH Rangers and Celtic. That, honestly, makes me sad and I wish it weren't so.

Anyway... to anyone I may have offended, particularly Maria, I apologize for how these remarks were taken. Perhaps I should choose my words a little more carefully in the future.

Really sick to the teeth about the old chestnut R C schools being the root
of bigotry.I remember Ally Mcoist jumping on the bandwagon at one time.
Mouthing off about something that he was completely ignorant to.
Why is it that some people think you are a strange species if you are
religious or believe in whatever.

I have worked in both and without sounding bias the ethos is entirely different.RC education teaches tolerance off all.
I always find this debate puzzling,COS at one time had their own schools.
You had to be a member to attend.
In England there are CE schools,were is the bigotry there.?
Sorry, the argument is complete tosh,individuals make choices in life.
Ask why RC schools were needed in the first instance and thats your answer, the schools were not built to teach discrimination they were built to protect catholics from this discrimination. History does not lie.

Fannies

Maybe a compromise can be made.

A sit down round a table where any variation of the phrase "But what about..." is not allowed and must be rephrased with positive reasons rather than bUt what about the fact they do this as deflection from self awareness.

Only virtuous reasons can be put forward for behaviour.

If it cant be argued as virtuous or positive it must be stopped without defence.

The things that are considered non virtuous by either side must be investigated properly with researchers from both sides.

Both arguments are put forward, for better understanding of the deep rooted clashes of perception.

That way the thoughts feelings and actions that have created this deep rooted clash of accepted behaviours can lead to better understanding of the cognitive behaviours that are extremely detrimental.

The interaction of thought behaviours and feelings and how they can influence the other aspects of this cognitive triangle.

Then both parties must explain their position is not malicious and then justify for education.

If they agree its malicious then it should be banned.
If they cant argue why its not malicious it should be considered deeper.
If at any point 'but what about this...' defence appears then it should be highlighted as a key area for deeper revelation of behavioural education.
So you want us (celtic supporters (I'm using celtic as a base line because not all supporters are Catholic ) to sit down with probably the lowest form of human and come to an agreement in how I should behave?? There is nothing that shower of shit could say to me that I could agree with, they can get to fuck and never sit at a table near me. Virtuous???? Them fuckers couldn't spell it

Reactions: TET
So you want us (celtic supporters (I'm using celtic as a base line because not all supporters are Catholic ) to sit down with probably the lowest form of human and come to an agreement in how I should behave?? There is nothing that shower of shit could say to me that I could agree with, they can get to fuck and never sit at a table near me. Virtuous???? Them fuckers couldn't spell it
Ok Jinxy a challenge

Last edited:
Hugh Keevins talking shite, need to change the rules when the balls out you return it, this would encourage cheating, you are winning a game and your player goes down to waste time, the opposition gives you the ball back deep in your half, the difference with Celtic was Celtic was winning and gave away a genuine advantage. So its really down to the team to do it no rule to be more abuse, clown, what would be simple is the opposition motion we are returning it.

Been away for a few days decompressing... There's a lot in this thread that I could probably respond to, but honestly at this point, why? We all have our opinions, and I've made my point as well as I think I could have. No sense in arguing further or provoking anyone.

For those late to the show, or perhaps who speed read my previous posts on this thread, I am genuinely 100% a Celtic supporter who supports the cause of the IRA (Irish independence, and after the partition, reunification). My more controversial comments were meant to provoke some internal reflection on how others see us -- specifically those who aren't Celtic supporters, but who are also inherently not opposed to our club, culture, or values and could potentially be converted to support Celtic if not for some of the more "unpleasant" actions of our support -- be that throwing coins, hurling insults, damaging property, public urination, or singing songs that they deem to be offensive. People who are not Irish but ordinary Scottish citizens who are proud of their country. People who are not religious zealots or garden variety bigots who congregate in nominally religious clubs whose purpose is to discriminate against others based on nationality or religion.

Sadly, there are a fair number of people -- mostly supports of non-Glasgow clubs -- who subscribe to the "one is as bad as the other" viewpoint. This is not a cop-out that is used for the sole purpose of slamming our club or our support (although that is sometimes the case) but a I belief that there is something not right with BOTH Rangers and Celtic. That, honestly, makes me sad and I wish it weren't so.

Anyway... to anyone I may have offended, particularly Maria, I apologize for how these remarks were taken. Perhaps I should choose my words a little more carefully in the future.
I fully appreciate that your sentiments may come from a well-intentioned place; however - all you have really done is highlight further examples of how far removed you are (either geographically or emotionally) from the average football fan.

There are no clubs throughout the length and breadth of Europe that don't have fans who throw coins, piss in streets, make abusive comments and damage property.

You cite these examples as if they were unique to Celtic, when in fact - Celtic fans have been lauded and embraced throughout our own continent and beyond due to our behaviour and embrace of other cities and cultures.

I also appreciate that your perspective is more profit-oriented and that you are looking at ways of maximising our appeal.

It's the legend of Celtic that folk buy into. The legacy that our forefathers and pioneers left for us.

Folk either get it, or they don't. I don't think I wish to welcome fans whose support is conditional and is based on a one-sided, subjective perspective being perpetrated by various branches of the sports and news media.

Ironically, on today of all days, these are the same media outlets who condemned those known as the "Birmingham Six"!

How did that turn out again?

In spite of many of the debates relating to finance, our support would still be there if Celtic played in a cow-field and with a first-team full of amateurs. They would still be there in vast numbers, as this is our calling - not an exercise in glory-hunting!

The true Celtic fan has experienced almost as much agony as ecstacy throughout their lives. This is a special period in our history, but we also had to suffer the effects of systematic cheating and financial doping by our rivals.

We are not a plastic, sham, financially-doped provincial club that oligarchs and oil sheiks wish to use as a personal plaything and a convenient way to launder their ill-gotten gains.

We are a true giant of the football world and our non-Catholic, non-Irish fans know that as well as anybody.

Hugh Keevins talking shite, need to change the rules when the balls out you return it, this would encourage cheating, you are winning a game and your player goes down to waste time, the opposition gives you the ball back deep in your half, the difference with Celtic was Celtic was winning and gave away a genuine advantage. So its really down to the team to do it no rule to be more abuse, clown, what would be simple is the opposition motion we are returning it.
A always wonder what the reaction would’ve been had it been celtic that done it???hysteria for one.

A always wonder what the reaction would’ve been had it been celtic that done it???hysteria for one.

Hamilton managers comments what a phud, fans wanted change look what thius twat gives the fans today, basically a we are shite statement.

He said: "I am inspired. I am really inspired.

"I went home last night and sat and watched the game.

"Mainly I was looking at my own team to see what we did wrong and what we didn't do properly, then I was watching Rangers, their movement, their passes, what everybody was doing and 'wow, this is great, I love that'.

"I will use that. People use Barcelona and Manchester City, what I saw off Rangers yesterday, there are bit of that, that I will use. Players need to see that.

"Now I need to try to get a little bit of that into my club.

"We are not going to be like Rangers, I am not kidding you on there, but we need to get to a bit of standard that they have set.

"I need to get my players to believe we can do a bit of that in a short period of time."

Back