January Transfer Window Thread

Will it be today or tomorrow we announce the signing of Stephen O'Donnell as our new right back?
I would have snapped him up for free last June when he didn't have a club. Again we could have got him on 1st January in this window for free - 3 weeks after Frimpong made it clear he wanted to leave us in this window. IF we do sign him then questions should be ssked as to why we delayed signing a current international defender who is a free agent for four and a half weeks!

I would have snapped him up for free last June when he didn't have a club. Again we could have got him on 1st January in this window for free - 3 weeks after Frimpong made it clear he wanted to leave us in this window. IF we do sign him then questions should be ssked as to why we delayed signing a current international defender who is a free agent for four and a half weeks!
O'Donnell's short term deal with Motherwell expires today.
Not saying he's the long term answer but a short term deal that puts an international right back, who needs to keep playing well ahead of the Euros, would be a massive upgrade on what we watched yesterday and most of this season. He comes in at RB, our best CH moves to his best position and strengthens the central defence and Duffy is dropped. 2 positions strengthened for Peter Lawwell's favourite transfer price.
That then buys us a few months to scout and sign a new younger RB to join in the summer under a new managerial regime.

O'Donnell's short term deal with Motherwell expires today.
Not saying he's the long term answer but a short term deal that puts an international right back, who needs to keep playing well ahead of the Euros, would be a massive upgrade on what we watched yesterday and most of this season. He comes in at RB, our best CH moves to his best position and strengthens the central defence and Duffy is dropped. 2 positions strengthened for Peter Lawwell's favourite transfer price.
That then buys us a few months to scout and sign a new younger RB to join in the summer under a new managerial regime.
Sorry Gary, I thought O'Donnell's contract was up to the end of December.

Given our current resources I'd be starting Ralston, Ajer, Welsh & Taylor/Laxalt in defence, and that is not very inspiring.

The current market is seriously broken

time to create our own players from the huge squad, imo

time to see if the younger players who been waiting for a chance are good enough to step into the positions we need covered.

if they cant cut it by start of next season assuming covid gone then at that point start trying to build better side with specifically targeted players who actually add value to the system we intend playing.

While covid exists imo its better to use local talent or low cost premier division spfl players who are better than what we have.

While covid on, foreign players are too isolated from home to be fully on the ball or integrate into the culture or the the team

As much as Lenny needs replaced Im no sure that a foreign manager will be much use at building a team while covid is on and who really wants to come here without a war chest, but again a warchest won't go too far when frimpong (who really isn't good enough yet) is commanding the huge transfer based on potential that might never materialise since his passing and positional sense as rb is not really very high standard.

the sky tv money has broke the markets

the FFP is a joke

And the entire game in big leagues is just insane wages
Aye it's time to use the youth system properly moneys gonny be tight for ages way everybody feeling the pinch we shud be building our rep by blooding the youth team and bringing in others from some of the big boys were these boys canny get a game

Sorry Gary, I thought O'Donnell's contract was up to the end of December.

Given our current resources I'd be starting Ralston, Ajer, Welsh & Taylor/Laxalt in defence, and that is not very inspiring.
I thought it was 1st January but read on a Motherwell website that its today and they have been trying to get him to extend until the end of the season.

Wish someone within the club would just come out and say they aren't looking at half the players we are linked with. Davies has been talked about as a possible signing since last July but wanted him in a pre contract instead of the £7mill off that Preston were quoting instead the club put money down the drain on a loan for Duffy which a few predicted was a waste at the time

Back