Kilmarnock v Celtic, Viaplay Cup, Sunday 20th August 3pm

OK I've slept on it 😴 😴 😴.

Still rotten, midfield disjointed at the start and got worse as the game went on, Bringing Kyogo back isn't the answer especially when we are looking for a goal, the two Cb's were relatively OK but the distribution was iffy at best (probably the pitch though) Ralston pass marks just, Taylor not so much I'm afraid he has gone backwards under Brendan atm. Hart 👋👋. Maeda was rotten for 90 and Abada drifted in and out... Holm gets a pass but Matt should be imposing himself by now but aint for some reason, and if Turnbull is the answer then whoever is asking the question needs their heed looked at..

As poor as I've seen since I watched us play west ham in Ange's first season... Get it sorted Brendan

Hello all! Sorry, didn't see an introduction thread haha. American fan since 2006(Saw us play D.C. United over here!). Also follow Charlotte FC and my lady is from Bournemouth, so pay attention to them somewhat also_Obviously CCV my favorite player haha.

Anyway, today was a let down in a lot of ways tbh: No one played like they gave a damn and that was the most disappointing thing for me. I don't care if its the lesser cup or whatever, I still expect when guys put on the green and white to show some pride. Hats off to Kilmarnock for hanging on, but on the other side of that argument, they didn't have to do a ton either. Holm was awful; really expected more out of the kid, hope he gets better.

During this window, we have brought in guys with a lot of promise, but no real gamechangers if you will to not only ensure we win another title, but make a decent run in Europe also. Still time left in the window of course, but that point still stands.

BR is a conundrum for me: One game he excels with tactics, and the next seems clueless. Not gonna say get rid right now, that's a bit extreme and dramatic, but do hope to see him being a bit more flexible sooner rather than later.

Disappointing but games like this happen, just have to move on and focus back on the league against STJ next weekend.
Welcome to the noise mr..

Just got hame never seen 2nd half , the first was poor enough , a new team not clicking at tough venue.
Gutted at the surrender of the trophy like that there's no dressing that up, now with hindsight if I were to pick a game from the season to lose it would be an early league cup, useless redundant trophy with about 400k to the winners of 4 ko ties for European sides.
Of course that backfires if the scum go onto win that , don't want to see that but I'd rather slip there than the title defence.
That's all said in hindsight never want to lose anything ever but it's not possible all the time and we're luckily accustomed to it, winning all the time were so dominant its a shock to the system any domestic defeat.
We need major reinforcements we knew that before today we cant as a team expect no CCV, no Starfelft, no Jota not to have an effect but should still have enough to win this tie but either we don't or we didn't apply ourselves properly I think a bit of both and the unfamiliarity of today's team played a part.
If we're bringing in a manager like Rodgers we have to back him financially and so far it's looked like he's backed the board.
I am having trouble with this spending bit. I agree we should always try to improve when in a position of strength. But I would have been very happy to see the team that finished last year by playing an attacking style, well drilled and with a system of playing that was understood by all.
Instead we get DDs bum boy, instead of (as Jamsam says.... A progressinve manager who knows how to play football the modern way)

Whilst I think our full backs have had a poor start to the season, and they are so important to how we play irrespective of who the manager is, it's the midfield we need to sort out. We have good midfielders, very good technical (modern lingo for they can pass the baw) players but the mix isn't quite right yet for how BR wants us to play. Under Ange it was a deep lying playmaker (CalMac) and two number eights (inside forward to us auld yins). Under BR last time he played with two deep and one forward. Brown sat deep, Armstrong beside him out of possession but bombing forward in possession, and Rogic playing just off the striker. McGregor, Holm and O'Riley all seem a bit samey in where they want to play and how they play, Hatate is the different one in he pushes forward a lot more and takes chances with his passing. Turnbull, I'm afraid, is a poundshop Rogic. Decent player but not the difference maker we need. We need to sign a difference maker in midfield to complement the technical passing machines we currently have.
A Wanyama type destroyer who could also play would also be good, especially for Europe.
I think McInnes read your thoughts and played most balls over the top to nullify the effectiveness of our midfield. No amount of money would fix that approach to rectify the midfield.
Long diagonal balls over midfield to Taylor. High press.
Not rocket science unless you are the rat. It was nothing more than the pitch so we need to spend a fortune to fix the bouncy pitch. Aye right.

The elbow on Taylor was a red all day long, I would like someone to explain to me it wasn't given A.. By the ref or on field assistants and B... If they all missed it why didn't VAR give it??.

The Hacka pen incident, was A.. just ignored by VAR.. And B.. Not given because we were one down... Interestingly enough the Killie manager moaned at all his pre match interviews about a pen incident last season... Seems as though his tactics worked...

I've said it before, no point in VAR if they just turn a blind eye to it as it suits, compare the zombies one the day before, VAR gave it without anyone claiming for it... 😱

I always try to have a breather before commenting on any defeat; I've never been one to think we just turn up and teams will roll over. Also, I like to think time has furnished me with at least a degree of dignity which I try to show both in victory and defeat. So, with those things in mind, I have to say Killie deserved their moment of glory. We got what we deserved; and that was nothing.

However, like anybody else, I analyse our games regardless of the result. Todays game? I'm struggling to find a semblance of positivity. And yet, I'm not surprised. I said to my family gathering who came to watch the game and enjoy Aphrodites cooking that I felt Killie had a better than decent chance today. Put simply, I'm not that impressed with our activity in the transfer market to date. Our signings-so far- are not anywhere near the level of the players we've lost. That goes for players out injured as well as those who've left the club.

So, with all that said, I'm gonna keep my comments on individuals for another day. That leaves me with having to look at the team as a whole. This is where I struggle: you see, and even allowing for two very welcome victories so far, I see a definite vulnerability. For me at least, we are most definitely weaker. Again, it's only one man's opinion; but todays game only confirmed my fears.

We didn't lose because of the playing surface, or two very obvious refereeing blunders. We lost to a team we couldn't match in those very basic of requirements; desire, physicality, character, and worryingly, leadership on the park.

Am I concerned for our longer term aims ? Ask me when the window closes.
Said it all

If BR needed any convincing he needs Hatate, then yesterday proved it. Most league matches require serious physical presence, because that is what is used against us. We are sadly lacking it. The opposition laugh at nice tippy tappy football played in front of them. We need to find the fastest and most direct way of unlocking packed defenses. This does not achieve it either. The hoof merchants love it. Yesterday on numerous occassions it was left to our new young central defenders, with two and a half matches between them, to play the final ball into the box. Done poorly by the way. Where were our experienced players who should have shown the leadership to take this on? Our midfield was atrocious yesterday. Our wingers were even worse and our full backs a joke. The two young lads made a decent fist of it, considering what they were thrown into. Yes, found wanting at times, but at least they tried. More than can be said for their more experienced colleagues with the exception of Kyogo. This is not going to be a one off. We have issues. And we will get eaten in Europe, which is only round the corner. I am furious.

Hello all! Sorry, didn't see an introduction thread haha. American fan since 2006(Saw us play D.C. United over here!). Also follow Charlotte FC and my lady is from Bournemouth, so pay attention to them somewhat also_Obviously CCV my favorite player haha.

Anyway, today was a let down in a lot of ways tbh: No one played like they gave a damn and that was the most disappointing thing for me. I don't care if its the lesser cup or whatever, I still expect when guys put on the green and white to show some pride. Hats off to Kilmarnock for hanging on, but on the other side of that argument, they didn't have to do a ton either. Holm was awful; really expected more out of the kid, hope he gets better.

During this window, we have brought in guys with a lot of promise, but no real gamechangers if you will to not only ensure we win another title, but make a decent run in Europe also. Still time left in the window of course, but that point still stands.

BR is a conundrum for me: One game he excels with tactics, and the next seems clueless. Not gonna say get rid right now, that's a bit extreme and dramatic, but do hope to see him being a bit more flexible sooner rather than later.

Disappointing but games like this happen, just have to move on and focus back on the league against STJ next weekend.
Weclome to thi noise Mr W hope we improve in the coming weeks. Asap

HH MrW

Still rotten, midfield disjointed at the start and got worse as the game went on, Bringing Kyogo back isn't the answer especially when we are looking for a goal, the two Cb's were relatively OK but the distribution was iffy at best (probably the pitch though) Ralston pass marks just, Taylor not so much I'm afraid he has gone backwards under Brendan atm. Hart 👋👋. Maeda was rotten for 90 and Abada drifted in and out... Holm gets a pass but Matt should be imposing himself by now but aint for some reason, and if Turnbull is the answer then whoever is asking the question needs their heed looked at..

As poor as I've seen since I watched us play west ham in Ange's first season... Get it sorted Brendan
Turnbull only gives flashes, not consistent enough to earn a jersey.

Surely one of the coaching staff, all of whom where there last season, should be telling BR that in away games against teams who sit deep, its a waste of 2 jerseys playing Abada & Maeda. They are at their best with space to run into. Yang would have been a better option from the start yesterday.

And you too Brenda’s love child let’s hope we have a plan and a playing system.
We’re gonna need it.
Yes we can be greedy and we have won a huge amount but outwith the 10 season where’s our defined style of play I can handle defeats if we play with a style a game plan like the one who left had
He lost games but we accepted that as we had a game plan.

Mon the Hoops

HH 🙄😱🙏

As stated before, I am no fan of Brendo but I'll get behind him and what he is trying to achieve and not turn on him after game 3 of the season....I'd say the performances against St Mirren last season and the year before away to Livingston were much worse than yesterdays.. look how those 2 seasons panned out!

The overreaction to yesterdays result was staggering given the circumstances surrounding the game ( pitch, massively motivated and confident opponent, players learning new methods)

I think everyone should calm down and get behind this talented bunch of extremely young players

Surely one of the coaching staff, all of whom where there last season, should be telling BR that in away games against teams who sit deep, its a waste of 2 jerseys playing Abada & Maeda. They are at their best with space to run into. Yang would have been a better option from the start yesterday.
Also, need to get serious work done on our own corners and set pieces. We did not create one chance from all those we had yesterday. We don't even look dangerous from them. And this is an ongoing problem. Other teams rely mainly on set piece play to cause problems for the opposition. Surely we can do so, considering the number we are awarded in an average match. It is so frustrating.

As stated before, I am no fan of Brendo but I'll get behind him and what he is trying to achieve and not turn on him after game 3 of the season....I'd say the performances against St Mirren last season and the year before away to Livingston were much worse than yesterdays.. look how those 2 seasons panned out!

The overreaction to yesterdays result was staggering given the circumstances surrounding the game ( pitch, massively motivated and confident opponent, players learning new methods)

I think everyone should calm down and get behind this talented bunch of extremely young players
I am 100% behind the players. Still waiting for Brendinha to get her shit together.
I believe if we had turned up sans the rat we would have won the game. Trying to impose its name on Celtic is what caused yesterday IMO.

Also, need to get serious work done on our own corners and set pieces. We did not create one chance from all those we had yesterday. We don't even look dangerous from them. And this is an ongoing problem. Other teams rely mainly on set piece play to cause problems for the opposition. Surely we can do so, considering the number we are awarded in an average match. It is so frustrating.
We are a short team. How about short corners and free kick to get an angle and blootering the ball into the 6 yard box withforce. Cant defend against that and no worse than we get now. Lofted balls to far post not working very well.

Welcome, mate. Look forward to your input.

Back