KT no happy

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has said that the club had no choice in selling left-back Kieran Tierney in the summer after his head was turned by Arsenal.

The Hoops sold the defender for £25m back in August, with many fans believing that the Scottish international had been sold on the cheap. When asked about the transfer at today’s AGM, Lawwell claimed the club had to get as much money as they could after the player made it known he wanted to leave:

No way would club come out and say that if Tierney didnt want to go..He pushed the for move or he would still be here..I honestly believed all the stuff he had said but leaving when we were going for 9 with 10 on horizon got me to look at it again..End of the day , we made him famous and rich and he got club a few quid but spare me all the other bs he used to spout..He got the privilege of playing for us and not other way round ..Goodluck to him but ive never been an Arsenal fan so i have absolutely no interest in how he does now as hes not our player anymore
I definitely think it's one of those: 'the truth meets in the middle' scenarios 10IAR.

Whatever occurred benefited both parties at the time and only further time will tell which party got the better deal?

Totally agree with your thoughts on the Arsenal though..........no sentiments of any value towards that lot.

if any player at Celtic or any other club for that matter gets a massive financial offer at a club similar or bigger and club gets a massive financial boost way beyond the expected return for that individual then taking the deal doesn't make you a traitor or a judas

they may well regret leaving in time but staying on much less than offered elsewhere would also be a regret if form or injury changes circumstances.

You get opportunity to live the jet set lifestyle and continue to progress your talent at an equal or higher level doesn't make you a judas especially if its a beneficial deal for the club.

Tierney is celtic fan

Anybody who thinks he is NOT a big enough fan is wrong.

Had Tierney been pish not one true celtic fan would bat an eyelid if club released him

Tierney loved and lived celtic

if Rogic or forrest or anybody else got offered 5 times their wage and celtic getting 25M on top of the initial outlay on the player and offer was to a big club

then I would expect the player to take up the challenge unless club can match the new wage, which it cant.

Who you play for never will determine what you love most.

Tierney is no traitor

Tierney is a real Celtic man

he gave his everything for club with great joy.

He didn't betray anyone.

he took up an offer that tests him at higher level

he made club healthy profit

he helped win club lots of trophies

he played while injured

And he never had a bad word to say about anyone

his feet are still firmly on the ground

He still loves celtic despite being falsely accused of being judas

Anyone who calls a true celtic great a judas under those circumstances is not really interested in Celtic

And they certainly dont understand what judas means

Did Tierney leave celtic in a worse or better state than he joined

Did he add value in everything he did?

Did he pretend to be staying then signed for rangers for more cash

No he took up an offer that far exceeded his potential returns from celtic while financially adding to Celtics coffers

He also won every trophy a player could win in Scotland.

I dont get any impression he ever dreamt of playing for Arsenal but when they decided he was on their want list they offered a deal he could not justify turning down if he really loved football

does the Morton fan become a judas if he signs for arsenal?

Not unless he did something that makes him a judas

And Tierney did not.

The striker stood to make a fortune if he moved south and the Gunners were prepared to pay through the nose to land him.

McGrory had just scored 62 goals in the 1927/28 season, which included eight goals in a 9-0 win against Dunfermline in January, and with Arsenal on their way to becoming the best team in England the two appeared to be the perfect match.

Except McGrory had no intention of leaving, even if Celtic were prepared to cash in on their prized asset and take Arsenal’s whopping £10,000 offer. As a boy growing up in Glasgow he had dreamed of emulating his hero, Patsy Gallacher, and pulling on the famous shirt. It meant everything to him.

So keen were Celtic to conclude the transfer, though, that the board and manager Willie Maley led McGrory to London under false pretences so the Londoners could put their proposal to him.

McGrory was accompanying Maley on his holiday to Lourdes, but the train would pass through the capital first where, on arrival, they were met by Highbury boss Herbert Chapman.

“He offered me everything but the moon,” McGrory said. Although immensely flattered by the compliments Chapman bestowed on him the answer was thanks but no thanks.

And so off he went to Lourdes, the place of miracles – the fact it would take one for Chapman to get his way was not lost on the striker – but the manager wasn’t ready to give up. On McGrory and Maley’s return, he intercepted the duo at the station once more, but the player still couldn’t be persuaded.

“I just wish I had players as loyal and as enthusiastic to their club as you are to Celtic,” an exasperated Chapman said when finally conceding defeat.

Not that McGrory was rewarded for his loyalty by Celtic’s top brass. He later found out he wasn’t even the top earner at the club and while many of his team-mates were on £9-a-week, the most he ever took home was £8.

No doubt the board were angry at missing out on a massive windfall and the chance to buy some new plus fours.

“Jimmy McGrory of Arsenal would never have sounded as good as Jimmy McGrory of Celtic,” the player insisted.

i honestly dont believe there is anything to discuss about him anymore..He plays for Arsenal now and if we played them , he would put Forrest in the air to win the ball..Like ive said , he pushed for Arsenal move so goodluck to him as we made him famous ..But you cant criticise(within reason of course) any celtic fan that wasnt happy with him leaving when CELTIC history is in our grasp considered all the stuff he had said in the past..

i honestly dont believe there is anything to discuss about him anymore..He plays for Arsenal now and if we played them , he would put Forrest in the air to win the ball..Like ive said , he pushed for Arsenal move so goodluck to him as we made him famous ..But you cant criticise(within reason of course) any celtic fan that wasnt happy with him leaving when CELTIC history is in our grasp considered all the stuff he had said in the past..
10 , you believe everything that is reported or everything Lawwell says????
Would not be the first time Lawwell has lied to the fans , res 12 anyone ??
If he did push for a move , so what ??
it does not make him any less of a Celtic fan does it ??
I admire your faith in Lawwell but I would have to go and check the calendar if he told me it was Thursday today 👍

I never even listened to his interview not really interested in his career if it nosedives or flourishes my type of Celtic men are in the mould of Larrson, we move he gave us good memories we gave him memories back in plenty, just wish he had not aligned himself to the GB as the GB fave with the megaphonem, I am sure they are the ones who felt hurt the most when he left, But we move on Celtic is bigger than any one on this planet and that includes the board, they have been removed before. My only issue with these interviews is they tend to be the scab for the papers the next day, its not news they want it's gossip and KT and Scott Allen gave them it, that disappoints no-one wanted to hear what KT had to say apart from KT and a setup media.

10 , you believe everything that is reported or everything Lawwell says????
Would not be the first time Lawwell has lied to the fans , res 12 anyone ??
If he did push for a move , so what ??
it does not make him any less of a Celtic fan does it ??
I admire your faith in Lawwell but I would have to go and check the calendar if he told me it was Thursday today 👍

If the club comes out and says he pushed the move and he doesnt refute it , that says it all , surely!!!..Id trust Lawwell as much as i trusted Tierney tbh..Like i said , he left so who cares how he does now as i aint an Arsenal fan..I care about the players who play for CELTIC..We made him famous not the other way round..He aint helping in our 10 in a row so goodluck to him..I really have no interest in him at all apart from pointing out some facts about him

Wow we know it’s a Celtic supporter do we what if it’s a Hun wi a spray can easy wind up it’s no summit they wouldn’t do is it
Loved KT so did the majority of Celtic fans he’s now getting the same love from the Arsenal fans he’s gone we move on the Celtic fans are the only constant.
If KT turned up at Celtic park on a Euro night
He would be very well received of that I’m sure.
HH KT

HH 🍀

Last edited:
I widnae buy into any of this gutter rag sensationalist, negative, non-story bullshit. Seen this movie before.
They should try doing some actual journalism, and investigating Sevco's finances or the deal with Big Mike, or any of the "saviour's" backgrounds before and during many dodgy take-overs and 1 quid buy-outs, or any number of real issues in the public interest.
Fuck 'um.
I will say this, the "fans" who have given him abuse or threats, well I can't speak for them, but I'd say they're the lunatic element of any support, and probably never been to a game.
Not Celtic supporters.
Fuck 'um. 🍀

i agree any fans who give him abuse or threats aint no Celtic fan..But on the other side of the coin , i wouldnt be giving him no warm welcome either as hes an Arsenal player who i have no great love for and we need to concentrate on the players who want to be here for 10 in a row :)

i agree any fans who give him abuse or threats aint no Celtic fan..But on the other side of the coin , i wouldnt be giving him no warm welcome either as hes an Arsenal player who i have no great love for and we need to concentrate on the players who want to be here for 10 in a row :)
I'm no a fanbhoy or cheerleader, but he's a good lad, and Hoops daft. Sincerely wish him well in everything he does, and he's also advertising the Scottish product, along with McGinn and Robertson. And that makes me proud, because I live down south. But, hes gone, and its all about Celtic and the 10. Bet yi half the diddies who gave him stick would be the first ones clammering for a selfie if they seen him at the game.

I know we all here think Celtic is the be all and end all of football, but we’re not...we’re just the big fish in a small pond, the money in the Scottish game is pennies compared to the big leagues with the massive tv deals, to survive we have to buy or develop promising youngsters and sell then on at a profit similar to Ajax although they do it on a massive scale, high time we all realise we are a selling club, everything is for sale........except the clubs BIGGEST asset......the fans 💚🍀

I know we all here think Celtic is the be all and end all of football, but we’re not...we’re just the big fish in a small pond, the money in the Scottish game is pennies compared to the big leagues with the massive tv deals, to survive we have to buy or develop promising youngsters and sell then on at a profit similar to Ajax although they do it on a massive scale, high time we all realise we are a selling club, everything is for sale........except the clubs BIGGEST asset......the fans 💚🍀
Can't disagree with a word of that, BB. My only concern is that we don't always get 'market value' for players.

I struggle to get my head around the numbers involved, especially considering the abject poverty in other areas of society, but no one can tell me that wankyebassa at Man Utd (ok, ok......I know he's a right-back, but) and even Andy Robertson are better than KT, yet the numbers these boys circulate boggles the noggin'??

I mean, there's big Moussa.........what are they saying now? €80,000,000??? And that's only two seasons out of Celtic Park.

It might sour my tastebuds, but I don't have an issue as long as the price is right.

Can't disagree with a word of that, BB. My only concern is that we don't always get 'market value' for players.

I struggle to get my head around the numbers involved, especially considering the abject poverty in other areas of society, but no one can tell me that wankyebassa at Man Utd (ok, ok......I know he's a right-back, but) and even Andy Robertson are better than KT, yet the numbers these boys circulate boggles the noggin'??

I mean, there's big Moussa.........what are they saying now? €80,000,000??? And that's only two seasons out of Celtic Park.

It might sour my tastebuds, but I don't have an issue as long as the price is right.
To get market value for our players we have to have a “track” record of selling successful players, Moussa, VVD, KT, we’re getting there, we need the BIG team to buy direct, miss out the middle men, not the Lyon’s and Southampton’s of this world, like the Ajax model, which is why the huns will never get the Monopoly money they are looking for, they’ve no track record, absolutely no player they’ve had has went on and done great things....

Latest posts

Back