Lennon manager

Interestingly I was at the Pavillion last month for an evening with Strachan and Lubo. It was supposed to be Lennon but he was subbed by Lubo a couple of weeks before due to being an employee of Celtic. When Lubo said he wanted Neil to be manager next season, only about a couple of dozen people cheered loudly. This was a fairly full theatre of fans who paid good money to see Lenny but there was surprisingly little vocal support for this appointment. Thanks NFL, a great servant and hero to many of us who also stepped in to bale us out when Rodgers sneaked off, but not sure he is the best available option (I hope I'm wrong as I suspect the decision has already been made).

Interestingly I was at the Pavillion last month for an evening with Strachan and Lubo. It was supposed to be Lennon but he was subbed by Lubo a couple of weeks before due to being an employee of Celtic. When Lubo said he wanted Neil to be manager next season, only about a couple of dozen people cheered loudly. This was a fairly full theatre of fans who paid good money to see Lenny but there was surprisingly little vocal support for this appointment. Thanks NFL, a great servant and hero to many of us who also stepped in to bale us out when Rodgers sneaked off, but not sure he is the best available option (I hope I'm wrong as I suspect the decision has already been made).
Hope Lubo's communication skills are better these days than his video back in the day. I assume Strachan did most of the talking:)

I'm asking you Milsy. I'm not giving you the task. I'm asking your opinion and everyone else's. This forum would be redundant if we only got an opinion on what we actually get to decide,
With all due respect I've heard weeks of what people can't do and very little of what would do better.
So just for a minute, You know what we can afford you know what we need. You know who can't do it, if you know that then, Who can?

Hi Niall J . I get your point , who would I like to see as coach - but I am just a punter and have not got the background to say who would or would not fit the job . Nor do I know what sort of budget a new man would be offered - is it the same salary as BR , does he get £20-30 million to spend ? I just hope that the Board have been scouring the continent for an aspiring Pep or Klopp who would move to our wee midden .

But since you asked I will put my cards on the table - Stevie Clarke . Unfortunately I know that he has already dismissed the idea of coaching up here ( for some pretty obvious reasons ) but he would have been my first choice .

Hi Niall J . I get your point , who would I like to see as coach - but I am just a punter and have not got the background to say who would or would not fit the job . Nor do I know what sort of budget a new man would be offered - is it the same salary as BR , does he get £20-30 million to spend ? I just hope that the Board have been scouring the continent for an aspiring Pep or Klopp who would move to our wee midden .

But since you asked I will put my cards on the table - Stevie Clarke . Unfortunately I know that he has already dismissed the idea of coaching up here ( for some pretty obvious reasons ) but he would have been my first choice .
Or how about Phillip Cocu James Forrest
Was talking about him on the CB.
Looks a good starting point. His records solid and brings young players on.
Just sayin

HH ☘️

Don't know what Lenny problem is I think it went wrong at Hibs to blame the players which was to some extent justified and yes they should have had a player sent off but this was no excuse Rogic should have been subbed at half time same with young Mikey, Lustic cost us the first goal and that is when Lenny should have been making decisions ,sorry but he has not done himself any favours lately

He'd take it Milsy. He applied before I think (when Deila got it) and he'd take it if asked, despite what he';s dealt with he's a Celtic man and like me or you he'd bite the hand off. I don't actually think the board would go for him but I think a god few fans would(y)

Or how about Phillip Cocu James Forrest
Was talking about him on the CB.
Looks a good starting point. His records solid and brings young players on.
Just sayin

HH ☘️
Definitely would be worth a punt. Did really well domestically, much like Lennon stepped in as a caretaker and kicked on, took the cash option at Fenerbahce and didn't step up there, but based on his Dutch career I'd take the risk but it would be a risk.(y)

I agree.....we cannot continue with the romantic notion that being a Celtic man is the sole requirement for the post. I do not doubt his fervent love for the club, but we need more than that.

100% spot on Prague!

Whether it's about signing players or appointing managers this 'aye but he's a good Celtic man' thing does my fucking head in! It's sentiment over logic and it's an irrational nonsensical way to go about making important decisions.

Players and managers should be brought in because they have the ability to make us better NOT because they happen to be good Celtic men. If a player/manager can make us better AND they're big Celtic men then brilliant it's an added bonus but this notion that we should overlook their flaws or their lack of suitability because of it is one-eyed nonsense.

HH Prague.

100% spot on Prague!

Whether it's about signing players or appointing managers this 'aye but he's a good Celtic man' thing does my fucking head in! It's sentiment over logic and it's an irrational nonsensical way to go about making important decisions.

Players and managers should be brought in because they have the ability to make us better NOT because they happen to be good Celtic men. If a player/manager can make us better AND they're big Celtic men then brilliant it's an added bonus but this notion that we should overlook their flaws or their lack of suitability because of it is one-eyed nonsense.

HH Prague.
I haven't heard anyone say a good Celtic man is a prerequisite

Maybe even those who daydream of the past, may now understand why like a good few fans, was
and will continue to be scared of doing well in Europe.
This season has been too close for comfort with far too many matches poor even with Rodgers, not because sevco are a good side, far from it and the scouse BS merchant is no threat on his own lack of merits.
We just have to be realistic when being positive.

Concerned now that who ever becomes manager, as they are going to be under sever pressure. I'm trying to remember that Lenny was given a no win situation after Rodgers dumped us.
Personally doubt given the bad luck with injuries, the cheating refs and SFA that want anyone but Celtic, that anyone would have come in and strolled it.

Still have doubts about Lenny sadly and more to do with what Charlie Mulgrew kind of implied by default, that Lenny loads serious pressure on, the players feared losing because he would lay into them in bad temper passionate call it what you want -rants.
Doubt that simple once common and sometimes effective management philosophy works much in 21st century with obscenely salaried players or management teams.

All we want is Celtic win-10-in-a-row

Last edited:
No but I've heard plenty use it to back up their argument as to why Lenny should get the job!
I'd have no problem if it was Scottish success/knowledge like Lennon has or history of European last 16 like Lenny has, or beating Messi and his Barcelona pals like Lenny has, but if it's just Celtic minded on it's own do me a favour. Might as well give you or me the job.
Except Lennon isn't just Celtic minded. That would do him a disservice..Wouldn't it?

Well Lenny didn't reach the last 16 or beat Barca all on his own did he, the team we had at the time played a big part in that no? Gordon Strachan reached the last 16 and knows the Scottish game too but we don't see everybody clamouring for him to get the job do we!

Don't try to make out I'm doing Lenny a disservice because I think people are wrongly using Lenny's 'Celtic man' status as a big part of their argument for his appointment as the permanent manager. I know full well Lenny's past achievements and what he had to endure as the Celtic manager and the man deserves massive credit and respect for achieving what he did while having to face up to the incessant bigotry and anti-Irish racism thrown his way but it still doesn't make him the right man for the job in the here and now.

Last edited:
Back