Match Thread - Cheats, Liars & Conmen v Celtic - Allianz StadionKick off 5pm (Celtic Park Time™)

You would think from some of the comments that defensive fk-ups we saw today were down to pre-season rustiness. They were NOT.
These errors, tactical unawareness were there last season. The reason we did not get punished more was because the SPL is populated by hammer throwers and diddies.
How did the European games go? Humped out of every tournament by average teams.
Turn in performances anything like that in the CL and we will get mauled. I think Ange should have been looking for a proven defensive coach not another attacking minded coach like Harry. Our problem area is not in the attack.

Last edited:
Okhalf the players who played second half at the back won plaiy when the games that matter comejullien no giving a fuck urghidey won't feature in any games lawell is not ready yet Welsh isny good enough ,sell big Jules or loan him out he another couple off centere backs in,apart from ccv and starfelt ,I think we are a bit short here cos if any off these two are injured the cover isn't very good

Exactly some amount of panick over a fuckin friendly 😱
No panic whatsoever, just bit of a wake up call I would say.
21 players used today and 8 of them I wouldn't like to see us having to depend upon in a CL match still imo, yet wouldn't have any issues regarding SPFL.
Wouldn't be to harsh upon lawel and Alex with being so new to the team and set up still.
Our counter attacking football is still very impressive at times and we still remain capable of scoring goals against any opposition still imo.
Was hoping the next level for our team was getting back to becoming a force in European football again, but any injuries to key players would make it a huge task with still a lack of quality in squad depth for CL level still imo.

No panic whatsoever, just bit of a wake up call I would say.
21 players used today and 8 of them I wouldn't like to see us having to depend upon in a CL match still imo, yet wouldn't have any issues regarding SPFL.
Wouldn't be to harsh upon lawel and Alex with being so new to the team and set up still.
Our counter attacking football is still very impressive at times and we still remain capable of scoring goals against any opposition still imo.
Was hoping the next level for our team was getting back to becoming a force in European football again, but any injuries to key players would make it a huge task with still a lack of quality in squad depth for CL level still imo.
But half them wont play john but its pre season im still expecting another cb at least mate just think some of the comments are stupid hes not changing his philosify(spellcheck🤦‍♂️) just cause wee jimmy disnae like playing out from the back

But half them wont play john but its pre season im still expecting another cb at least mate just think some of the comments are stupid hes not changing his philosify(spellcheck🤦‍♂️) just cause wee jimmy disnae like playing out from the back
The playing out from the back doesn't concern me to much cairnsbhoy, it's moreso our tactical approach with the high press and using the 2 attacking midfielders and a CF in doing so, I really don't like us using in European matches, allowing the 30/40 yard diagonal pass to overload us in the full back positions.
Not many players capable of picking out them passes to cause us to many problems within the SPFL but different story in European football.
Funny how all the flack starfelt got last season and yet remains our only option to deal with the problem down our left side of the defence still, and even worse if josip or ralston is missing.

Pre season get fitness up and get players used to the tactics and formation the team will be playing, giving the fringe players and youngsters a chance to see if they are capable if implementing it and an idea of positions still needing strengthened if the players outwith the 1st team aren't up to the job. Still like to see the team win in any game competitive or friendly keep the winning mentality going

Didn't see the game so came onto the last page of the thread to get some sort of an idea. Went about 3 pages back and still don't know the score; not that I really care cos it's pre-season like. But by Jaysis the gloom and the doom. FFS like, those lads have to be 100% committed all year and they get a few weeks off to party. They're only lads like but they have to be something special to make it at Celtic. Only those who can exist outside the party have any hope.

Watched it we lost some silly goals we scored some decent goals this wasn’t fitba but fitness match fitness also let’s the Manager see the entire squad in some form of action. He knows we’re short in some position’s. But he’s also got more time to drill them. So onwards and upwards
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀

The playing out from the back doesn't concern me to much cairnsbhoy, it's moreso our tactical approach with the high press and using the 2 attacking midfielders and a CF in doing so, I really don't like us using in European matches, allowing the 30/40 yard diagonal pass to overload us in the full back positions.
Not many players capable of picking out them passes to cause us to many problems within the SPFL but different story in European football.
Funny how all the flack starfelt got last season and yet remains our only option to deal with the problem down our left side of the defence still, and even worse if josip or ralston is missing.
Now thats a real debate to have john the dig about playing out from the back wasnt directed at you mate we really need a dm to help the 2 cb's then the dm can split them so the cb can cover they kind of balls we need another cb aswell big julie can gtf hate how he swaggers about like hes fuckin maldini then he ges to sleep or tries a stupid bit of forward passing hes not a real team player imo HH

Playing out from the back is conceptually fine by me mate but we dont have Beckenbauers, Maldinis, etc. From what I’ve seen so far our defenders are (and always have been) well capable of doing something stupid at some point in the game.
As coach I believe you have to assess what players are capable of doing and don't ask them to do things beyond their ability. You cant just tell somebody to go out and play like Piquet or Busquets and expect them to do it.
Ange might believe in the playing out from the back approach but sometimes my heart is in my mouth watching it and fearing a screwup is coming at some point. We get away with it in the SPFL because of the standard. Europe is a different kettle of fish.

Didnt see the game , watched highlights on yachube this morning.
As I understand it, they are a few weeks ahead of us in their preparations while weve played two away games.
I got a text from my brother saying that rapid were rolling around holding their faces etc.
I didnt see that in the 4 min highlights.
I thought the goal they scored was a foul on joe hart though hart has invited the ref to make a decision there instead of coming for the ball and blootering it up into kenny Miller's orbit.
Our goals were lovely must say, the ones we lost? Avoidable
I feel loathe to criticise the side on the back of a 3-3 away ( non) friendly.
What's obvious to me at least that as good as we are and can be going forward , we still have the same defensive frailties. Not surprising really when weve only added bernabai.
We are still vulnerable from jota type balls over the top.
That's something we have to address and yes I know that Ralston and josip didnt play but these are problems we probably will encounter in Europe.
All the top sides have a brand of angeball , fast paced counter attacking .
All that said it was a good run out and exactly the type of game that we need at this stage.
Our attacking game is there from the get go and that's good to see, we will trouble everyone we play going forward, our defence will be tested more than this in the cl though.
There will never be a " friendly " against rapid, ever .
We cannot afford to revert back to last seasons mishaps like away to betis and Leverkusen, games we shouldve won.
We must be ready for sides to do to us what we do to them.
Our tactics are no secret , attack attack attack, but we must address our defensive weaknesses.
Harts hesitations must be stamped out or he will find seigrist is ready to step in.
As mostly everyone has said , this is about fitness and match sharpness, for the latter I can cut jules some slack .
A good exercise but its plain to all we require more 1st team ready players in mf and defence if were serious about progressing in Europe

Didnt see the game , watched highlights on yachube this morning.
As I understand it, they are a few weeks ahead of us in their preparations while weve played two away games.
I got a text from my brother saying that rapid were rolling around holding their faces etc.
I didnt see that in the 4 min highlights.
I thought the goal they scored was a foul on joe hart though hart has invited the ref to make a decision there instead of coming for the ball and blootering it up into kenny Miller's orbit.
Our goals were lovely must say, the ones we lost? Avoidable
I feel loathe to criticise the side on the back of a 3-3 away ( non) friendly.
What's obvious to me at least that as good as we are and can be going forward , we still have the same defensive frailties. Not surprising really when weve only added bernabai.
We are still vulnerable from jota type balls over the top.
That's something we have to address and yes I know that Ralston and josip didnt play but these are problems we probably will encounter in Europe.
All the top sides have a brand of angeball , fast paced counter attacking .
All that said it was a good run out and exactly the type of game that we need at this stage.
Our attacking game is there from the get go and that's good to see, we will trouble everyone we play going forward, our defence will be tested more than this in the cl though.
There will never be a " friendly " against rapid, ever .
We cannot afford to revert back to last seasons mishaps like away to betis and Leverkusen, games we shouldve won.
We must be ready for sides to do to us what we do to them.
Our tactics are no secret , attack attack attack, but we must address our defensive weaknesses.
Harts hesitations must be stamped out or he will find seigrist is ready to step in.
As mostly everyone has said , this is about fitness and match sharpness, for the latter I can cut jules some slack .
A good exercise but its plain to all we require more 1st team ready players in mf and defence.
Aye its vital winter we get a DM and another CB for me winter a quality DM helps with cover for they diags(as the youth of today like to call it🤦‍♂️)

Now thats a real debate to have john the dig about playing out from the back wasnt directed at you mate we really need a dm to help the 2 cb's then the dm can split them so the cb can cover they kind of balls we need another cb aswell big julie can gtf hate how he swaggers about like hes fuckin maldini then he ges to sleep or tries a stupid bit of forward passing hes not a real team player imo HH

Brown did it so well in BR first season. He would come back and collect the ball, allowing the CBs to split and our LB and RB to go forward knowing that cover was there. Our problem last season (and there weren't many) was we didn't have that sort of player. Bodo really exposed it in europe, we couldn't handle the quick break because we had all our CMs and LB and RBs all up the park.
I love Anges attacking football but we do need a CDM to give both our CBs a bit of cover.

Members online

Latest posts

Back