Match Thread - Cheats, Liars & Conmen v Celtic - Allianz StadionKick off 5pm (Celtic Park Time™)

Brown did it so well in BR first season. He would come back and collect the ball, allowing the CBs to split and our LB and RB to go forward knowing that cover was there. Our problem last season (and there weren't many) was we didn't have that sort of player. Bodo really exposed it in europe, we couldn't handle the quick break because we had all our CMs and LB and RBs all up the park.
I love Anges attacking football but we do need a CDM to give both our CBs a bit of cover.
For me thats wit we are missing we will still give chances away but will be so much more secure overall

I've noticed many only look upon pre season as just wanting to get fitness and match sharpness up to speed, of course that's a vital part but would class the planning for the season ahead as far more important imo.
We know Ange likes to play a high risk brand of football, that creates plenty of goal scoring chances when working well, and also hands up plenty of chances against us when it doesn't, and especially within European football.
Will Ange change that strategy for CL which is only 6 games guaranteed next season?
As a total guess, I wouldn't say so as I don't see how you can define your approach to a season based upon 6 games, yet still plenty of tactical tweeks could be needed still to get a successful European campaign imo.
Haven't got to many concerns about the coming season, still got a strong team with decent subs available for most matches, yet already some of our back up options in some positions remain very questionable still.
This training camp should hopefully give Ange many answers to help with the planning for the season ahead hopefully.
Personally would already rule out Jules, McCarthy and urgo as players you could depend upon in the positions they have been used in so far in pre season and only on what we have seen so far.
With a transfer window still open then surely Ange would like guarantees on the josip situation from player and board as until the window actually closes there remains a huge potential problem that could still arise yet, and that still applies to many other players still.
I also would like to see a proper DM added to the squad, yet in its current formation, would possibly mean calmac and hatate fighting for the same position, yet in many a big game you would possibly like to see both on the pitch at the same time for us imo?
Still say Ange has plenty of huge decisions to make in the planning for the coming season still, and will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, but still very confident that Ange will make the right calls and another successful season awaits imo, even if I'm not totally convinced for us in European football still

I've noticed many only look upon pre season as just wanting to get fitness and match sharpness up to speed, of course that's a vital part but would class the planning for the season ahead as far more important imo.
We know Ange likes to play a high risk brand of football, that creates plenty of goal scoring chances when working well, and also hands up plenty of chances against us when it doesn't, and especially within European football.
Will Ange change that strategy for CL which is only 6 games guaranteed next season?
As a total guess, I wouldn't say so as I don't see how you can define your approach to a season based upon 6 games, yet still plenty of tactical tweeks could be needed still to get a successful European campaign imo.
Haven't got to many concerns about the coming season, still got a strong team with decent subs available for most matches, yet already some of our back up options in some positions remain very questionable still.
This training camp should hopefully give Ange many answers to help with the planning for the season ahead hopefully.
Personally would already rule out Jules, McCarthy and urgo as players you could depend upon in the positions they have been used in so far in pre season and only on what we have seen so far.
With a transfer window still open then surely Ange would like guarantees on the josip situation from player and board as until the window actually closes there remains a huge potential problem that could still arise yet, and that still applies to many other players still.
I also would like to see a proper DM added to the squad, yet in its current formation, would possibly mean calmac and hatate fighting for the same position, yet in many a big game you would possibly like to see both on the pitch at the same time for us imo?
Still say Ange has plenty of huge decisions to make in the planning for the coming season still, and will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, but still very confident that Ange will make the right calls and another successful season awaits imo, even if I'm not totally convinced for us in European football still
I understand what you are saying John but I still don't get too worked ip or excited by these games. For me they are about getting players back up to match fitness and to try things out in the knowledge that the result does not matter. Some formations, tactics or pairings might work and some may not.

I still want Ange to be more pragmatic against the bigger European opposition and play a more defensively minded game to avoid big defeats.

Also, personally I wouldn't write off Jullien just yet. I mean he has only played about 2 and a half matches in over 1 and a half years. It may be that he won't fit into Ange's style or he may still get sold in this window, but I wouldn't judge him too harshly on last night playing in an unusual defensive line-up, in a pre-season unfriendly against a decent side who are a couple of weeks ahead of us in preparation time.

I understand what you are saying John but I still don't get too worked ip or excited by these games. For me they are about getting players back up to match fitness and to try things out in the knowledge that the result does not matter. Some formations, tactics or pairings might work and some may not.

I still want Ange to be more pragmatic against the bigger European opposition and play a more defensively minded game to avoid big defeats.

Also, personally I wouldn't write off Jullien just yet. I mean he has only played about 2 and a half matches in over 1 and a half years. It may be that he won't fit into Ange's style or he may still get sold in this window, but I wouldn't judge him too harshly on last night playing in an unusual defensive line-up, in a pre-season unfriendly against a decent side who are a couple of weeks ahead of us in preparation time.
Far from worked up BB about a pre season game, but still disappointing to see where are all round squad is at present.
The goals given away were so poor, even beyond belief, and if that was a meaningful game, there would be a total melt down over them, yet we still remain very capable of giving up such poor goals with a lack of quality available in a defensive manner still.
Jules really disappointed me as was hoping he would be a great option to have available for us in the coming season.
3 times yesterday I seen him advancing into such a high position that you would expect a midfield player to cover, leaving 2 rookies either side of him totally exposed and all this without him having any chance of winning the ball in the 1st place.
Now the question here is, was he actually instructed to make such poor decision making?
I don't see CCV making such poor decision making, so would assume he has made them of his own accord? How could Ange really trust a player, with such experience behind him also?
As for his use of the football the least said about it the better, 1 decent pass doesn't get pass marks for the amount of useless ones made either.
I would be very surprised if Ange could trust Jules as a potential back up for CCV imo, his all round game doesn't seem to suit what Ange wants imo, and if there's a lack of discipline crept into his game now, then we would be better to offload now than leaving us wide open to becoming a potential huge problem for us in the season ahead imo now.

Aye its vital winter we get a DM and another CB for me winter a quality DM helps with cover for they diags(as the youth of today like to call it🤦‍♂️)
Its really early days and trying tactics out , players etc.
Not seen gucci enough but what little we have seen I'm not convinced ( must say , yet) he is the answer, hopefully he will prove me wrong HH

Its really early days and trying tactics out , players etc.
Not seen gucci enough but what little we have seen I'm not convinced ( must say , yet) he is the answer, hopefully he will prove me wrong HH
Would say winter the training camp so far has shown us so far as potential players being used as first, second and third choices in each position so far.
By no means is that set in stone yet, as I would still expect a few changes still before the squad is really finalised for the coming season imo.
Would like to see guchi used more so in the holding role of the midfield 3 instead of attacking right side of the midfield myself, still think he would offer us far more than Mccarthy in the position at present.

Would say winter the training camp so far has shown us so far as potential players being used as first, second and third choices in each position so far.
By no means is that set in stone yet, as I would still expect a few changes still before the squad is really finalised for the coming season imo.
Would like to see guchi used more so in the holding role of the midfield 3 instead of attacking right side of the midfield myself, still think he would offer us far more than Mccarthy in the position at present.
Aye I would guess that if Ange is unable to bring in better than we have now, he wont bother.
I'm not criticising Gucci btw ( except for their prices of smelly shit and LGBTQ+#@whocaresabout their name clothes line).
I'm not wanting to criticise McCarthy yet either as both had their issues last season but we know they're good players, good enough for us though is another matter.
We will see soon enough but I'd be astounded if bernabei is the only newcomer in this window.

Aye I would guess that if Ange is unable to bring in better than we have now, he wont bother.
I'm not criticising Gucci btw ( except for their prices of smelly shit and LGBTQ+#@whocaresabout their name clothes line).
I'm not wanting to criticise McCarthy yet either as both had their issues last season but we know they're good players, good enough for us though is another matter.
We will see soon enough but I'd be astounded if bernabei is the only newcomer in this window.
I think Ange is a very fair manager in giving opportunity's to players in showing there worth for the team, yet after Wednesday game thing's should start to become more clearer upon where the players stand in Ange's plans for the coming season imo.
A few question marks have been raised already imo, and the biggest concern still remains the left sided CB position imo.
Welsh and lawel have been given the role so far, but we already know starfelt is going to miss most of pre season, which could in turn make him a doubt for the start of the season and we have hardly been lucky with the hamstring injuries either. Murray must also be injured with not being on the trip, and loaned out scales a bit to hastily imo.
So again at present we are currently left again without no natural left sided CB, and hoping youngsters can step up to the mark still.
Squad still remains decent enough throughout still but still room to plug a few gaps that remains within it still imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Back