Motherwell v Celtic - Sunday, all comments here

Think Duffy would be ok with an orthodox right back playin alongside him, but hey.......... 🍺 🥳
Aye - he's good in a back 4 when it is a team under pressure. Someone on here today (TET possibly? apologies for forgetting who) suggested he would shine in sevco's team and I can fully understand why they would say that. Maybe he will still come good for us once he settles and we can find a way to get the best out of him and the other defenders.

Day shift handing over lol. Where the fek is MD?🤣
I think they all want to play

the system is too spread out for our range and certain players covering too much space and too many rammed too far away right on shoulders of the opposition

we need a functioning midfield that doesn't need to play full back when opps get attack on wings

the cbs need full backs much closer and defending pprimarily

that would allow midfield to control middle moving forward as 6 man attack with 1 of centre mids holding 20 yards behind other 2 or tracking. their playmaker if he finding space but I doubt he gets past 4 defenders and a holding mid

cal and christie with license to get beyond griff and split their channels open if ball goes wide for attack with bitton hanging round their 30 yard line if we have strong attack and 4 man defence covering counter threats

gives our forwards room to pick runs and drag their defence around rather than allowing to statically hold their position with us all crammed up against them

and all 5 midfielder track back into our half to start attacks with shorter options and triangular encroachment into their half as a unit hoping they come too close for space balls to wings for our speed to test their defence on turn
Good grief TET, you make it sound soooo simple. Move over Lenny, TET's now in charge.

Aye - he's good in a back 4 when it is a team under pressure. Someone on here today (TET possibly? apologies for forgetting who) suggested he would shine in sevco's team and I can fully understand why they would say that. Maybe he will still come good for us once he settles and we can find a way to get the best out of him and the other defenders.
The best out of S Duffy, hmm, send him on a slow boat (that goes at the same pace as him) to ....... anywhere but here.HH

The best out of S Duffy, hmm, send him on a slow boat (that goes at the same pace as him) to ....... anywhere but here.HH
See when he scores the goal that wins us the 10IAR (I've given up as him being a defender so I'm now using him as an old-fashioned lumbering battering ram of a striker) then you will feel guilty about slagging him off for his truly awful early performances! 😂

Good grief TET, you make it sound soooo simple. Move over Lenny, TET's now in charge.
Lmao

I cant even get replies from jobs when I was fit and healthy

I know im probably naive with my analysis

But ive been watching enough football to know full backs at big clubs need to be defenders first

no wingers

nice if they can utilise space and shift up that line to support attacks when timing is good

but our full backs are more in opps half even when our cbs have the ball

how often is the punt 40 yards to the full backs

watch any top team and their number 10 is in their own half to start attacks no charging channels when ball is over 40 yards behind him with cbs

pick any famous number 10 and watch his games concentrating on him

you will see he always comes to the ball, always wants ball for triangles and creating space for other players

he might be gash at tackling but he still harries their mid field when they are on the charge

we have 3 attacking mids who very rarely come into our half

we have 2 cm who are forced to cover behind our full backs and it leaves a 30 to 40 yard gap to man marked attackers

so its hoofed instead of triangles and requires accurate passes to connect under press

its a very poor system we play imo

we sacrifice centre midfield despite playing 5 mids most games and supposedly narrow but narrow up top extra wide in the spine nearest goal

if they come central we are totally exposed on flanks

it works if opposition just sits back and struggles to pass 20 yards accurate

but against proper system we are toast if opps have good wingers and 3 guys who can play central mid

they risk the 40 yard pass over their head connecting and having 5 plus striker against 4 defenders

but our passing over 30 yards is pretty average and we struggle to one touch control high balls

but still that seems to be the plan

ram up close to their defence hope their midfield fall back far enough for scrappy random receives

but when opps can sit in front of our mids with 2 wingers and striker then percentage game swings in their favour

and then they have momentum charge of 3 mids bearing into channels to support and if they have wingers with talent our cms and centre backs cant get ball off them quickly enough to prevent gift chances on over loaded channels

weak low percentage tactics and worse we have the better talented players over 20 yard passing range but we are mostly 30 yard plus out of strong range

weak

even Brazil 1970 where 20 yards at most from guy on ball

and they had 40/50 yard accuracy with certain players in that team

we play high risk defending with low percentage long ball going forward

gash

A good coach will go to every sport they can to pick up different snippets that can be used in their own sport.
There is only really one way to play to suit duffy and that is with a flat back 4. We are currently playing with 2 full back's that also have to play as 2 wingers. It is ridiculous the amount of work that our management are looking for from them to lads. And what have they in front of them is 2 players that only want to cut inside usually to an already over crowded midfield. If they give the ball away that is our full back's well out of position as they are far 2 high up the field, so way to much space for oppersition to exploit. With the lack of pace will leave us totally exposed when facing faster attacking forwards. The set up is totally all wrong at the back and is hardly helped when 2 of them are expected to do more forward play than defensive. Our whole set up at times has us running around like a load of headless chickens with so many players out of position and not to much desire in trying to close down to win the ball back.
But sure it is far easier to blame one man instead of looking around at team mistakes where players don't seem to bothered about helping out one another

here is 1970 World Cup final

watch both their forward lines during game and see how often they have 30 yard gap between guy on ball and nearest guy in front

against lille we were much closer together and in proper ranks and 20 yard options nearly every pass

sevco never have gap of more than 20 yards between their 3 mids

we rarely have our 3 mids within 20 yards of each other

and when their cbs have ball nearly every player is coming to ball

no waiting static for 30 yard long balls

I'm not a fan of the 1 striker system 4-3-2-1 it isolates the striker if our wing backs are neutralised. At this time ajeti and griff with moi and frimps would be my preferred choice eddy as an impact sub until he gets that goal.then he can start , also klimala has not let us down and must be knocking on the door for a start
Totally agree with you, Winter, 2 strikers should be played in an attacking team. How effective would Henke be without Sutton or Hartson and Lennon should know better as he played in that team.HH🇮🇪
Is he though? Hes not lasted a full 90 yet I think. I'd put frimpong up there as the fittest and calmac but hes suffering from fatigue
That's a poor state we are in Winter, top players looking tired and fit subs not coming on for them. Why pay for players, then don't play them ?

Totally agree with you, Winter, 2 strikers should be played in an attacking team. How effective would Henke be without Sutton or Hartson and Lennon should know better as he played in that team.HH🇮🇪

That's a poor state we are in Winter, top players looking tired and fit subs not coming on for them. Why pay for players, then don't play them ?
we are effectively playing 4 forwards every game imo

but 3 of them aren't really strikers

and none of the 3 are any use to supporting midfield when opps have ball

would be better off with a giant target man in our current system of high balls and hoping

watch both their forward lines during game and see how often they have 30 yard gap between guy on ball and nearest guy in front

against lille we were much closer together and in proper ranks and 20 yard options nearly every pass

4th goal was amazin!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back