Name a Celtic player who was popular but you didn't rate and one who wasn't rated but you quite liked...

John Kennedy, still shouldn’t be ANYWHERE near our club, just a promising youngster that had a bad injury, now seems to have a job for life, he’s the reason our defence is poor
Kennedy is a pretty good coach, and I was not aware he was responsible for coaching the defence.

Meanwhile, back at the original question (and bear in mind I am late to the party): Timothy Weah (sorry to say) and Emilio Izagiurre

Did't like Broony when he signed, lot of money to buy the kid ned he was back then! Took him the captains armband to truly realize the enormity of the Club he found himself in and walking around surrounded by legends to talk too. Been a privilege to have him captain the Hoops!

Thought Chris Morris was quite wonderful at right-back during the the centenary season and through to the Dark Days. Done well for us and Ireland but kinda forgotten about.

Popular but didn't rate - Stuart Armstrong. One of THE most overhyped players ever to pull on the Hoops imo. Had high hopes for this guy but the return we got from him in over 3 years at the club was a good 6 month spell under BR, the rest of the time he flitted between being pretty poor and bang average at best. To this day I still can't understand this guy's popularity amongst the Celtic support.

A special mention to Efe Ambrose. Popular because he was a really nice likeable guy but fuck me watching him play felt like being forced to watch a hyperactive wean on a 6 can Red Bull high running about a minefield with a pair of razor sharp scissors in each hand. A truly terrifying sight that had disaster written all over it made all the more worse because he WAS such a likeable guy you wanted to see succeed. Seeing him fail was like watching puppies being fed into a wood chipper!

Wasn't rated but liked - Erik Sviatchenko. To be fair he was rated by some but not by all. A solid enough CB, a key member of the Invincibles and out of all the CB's we had at the time I thought he was the most competent of the lot. I couldn't work out why BR dropped him then punted him as he hadn't let us down in any major way, we were light on CB's at the time and the only other CB's we did have were Boyata and Jozo, one prone to bouts of brain flatulence and the other who legend has it could get injured just by the mere act of looking at a football.

Last edited:
Back