Oh ah up the RA

Why is it offensive for Irish people to sing oh ah up the RA? Who's offended by it and why has the Irish coach apologised?
I understand that the IRA are classed as a terrorist group in the North.....but they also fought and won freedom in the south so why shouldn't southern Irish people be allowed to celebrate their republican army? I'm sure the "terrorist" leaders who signed the Proclamation of the Irish Republic can be freely celebrated.....or would the BBC demand an apology for that to??
I'm not trying to be divisive or cause arguments as I know politics is frowned upon by some on the noise. This is a genuine question I'd like to hear people's thoughts and points on the subject....
I think the possible issue is that some see Irelands issues are nothing to do their football team. A cause, yes most definitely but does it have relevance to watching your team? Debatable. A fine line.
Yes of course there is a connection but does the team on the park hearing "rebel songs" inspire them? Probably not. Therefore the singing also has no benefit to what we're ALL there for, to watch our team making us proud.
I'm sure what I've said may also divide but I say it how it is for me.

I think the possible issue is that some see Irelands issues are nothing to do their football team. A cause, yes most definitely but does it have relevance to watching your team? Debatable. A fine line.
Yes of course there is a connection but does the team on the park hearing "rebel songs" inspire them? Probably not. Therefore the singing also has no benefit to what we're ALL there for, to watch our team making us proud.
I'm sure what I've said may also divide but I say it how it is for me.

So imagine the players, as a wee thing amongst themselves, called themselves the Republican Army....would that be OK then?? Or would they have to apologise to Britian....and we have our glorious travelling Tartan Army....what if the Republican fans referred to themselves as the...oh, I don't know...the Republican army, would that offend the brits....seems to me that as long as the Irish are your stereotypical "to be sure, to be sure", dressed up as leprechauns, happy go lucky, Guinness drinkers, then the British media is fine...but as soon as they celebrate their history it gets peoples noses out of joint.
Also, I've referred to it before, but scotland fans sing about sending the English homewards....and as for the English songs of britannia and ruling the waves.....that means something different to countries, like Ireland who don't have fond memories of old Britannia ruling the waves.
I dont have a horse in this race, I'm not Irish. I'm just confused as to why the Irish have felt the need to apologise. Especially due to a bit of pressure by the fucking British media of all people.

If we lived in History the world would be living in caves to be fair some people heads still do we learn from mistakes made but the thing is we drive around in German and Japanese cars we use phones and all types of tech we also know how people are treated in China yet someone sings a rebel song it’s a major offence Jack Charton had his team sing Irish songs when he managed thier team was anything said not that I can recall My point we seem to be able to forgive some but not others,I don’t normally get involved in politics so on this one and only occasion took to make a point

If we lived in History the world would be living in caves to be fair some people heads still do we learn from mistakes made but the thing is we drive around in German and Japanese cars we use phones and all types of tech we also know how people are treated in China yet someone sings a rebel song it’s a major offence Jack Charton had his team sing Irish songs when he managed thier team was anything said not that I can recall My point we seem to be able to forgive some but not others,I don’t normally get involved in politics so on this one and only occasion took to make a point
I remember when Big Jack talked about the team listening to rebel songs on the bus prior to beating England in an international Terry Butcher started slabbering about how, if he had known, he would have stormed the bus to try and confiscate the stereo, or words to that effect. :ROFLMAO:
Sure you would have Terry. Big Jack would have clattered you never mind the Ireland players :ROFLMAO:

311717609_10225295782574969_4170303457350559364_n.jpg

I'm sure thiers many people when they hear any songs about the IRA won't like it because it brings back memories of a loved one who life was taken at the hands of the IRA. I suppose much in the same way people who see the poppy on football jerseys and it representing British army personnel who have died from the 1st World War up until present day including the soldiers who served in the North of Ireland feel when they see this symbol they think of their loved ones who died at the hands of the British army. I haven't heard a sky sports presenter saying these people who wear these poppy's need educated about the effects that these poppy's have on the victims of the British army and how much it pains them every time they see it. Also every time rule britania is sung the same emotions apply hurt and sad memories. Thiers a lot of history in Ireland all 32 counties we have our history the IRA has played a massive part in our history that's a fact from the start of the last century to modern day .I'm not going to tell an English person not to were a poppy or sing rule britania. And I don't want any English person telling me what I need educated about especially irish history .I think sky sports and other people commenting should stop and think before tell an irish football team of irish people get yourself educated they been educated in school and at home about the evil that has been brought to thier country by the English for 800 years .so fuck off the empire is finished now start learning how to be a good neighbour.

I'm sure thiers many people when they hear any songs about the IRA won't like it because it brings back memories of a loved one who life was taken at the hands of the IRA. I suppose much in the same way people who see the poppy on football jerseys and it representing British army personnel who have died from the 1st World War up until present day including the soldiers who served in the North of Ireland feel when they see this symbol they think of their loved ones who died at the hands of the British army. I haven't heard a sky sports presenter saying these people who wear these poppy's need educated about the effects that these poppy's have on the victims of the British army and how much it pains them every time they see it. Also every time rule britania is sung the same emotions apply hurt and sad memories. Thiers a lot of history in Ireland all 32 counties we have our history the IRA has played a massive part in our history that's a fact from the start of the last century to modern day .I'm not going to tell an English person not to were a poppy or sing rule britania. And I don't want any English person telling me what I need educated about especially irish history .I think sky sports and other people commenting should stop and think before tell an irish football team of irish people get yourself educated they been educated in school and at home about the evil that has been brought to thier country by the English for 800 years .so fuck off the empire is finished now start learning how to be a good neighbour.

👏👏

I think we should start a petition demanding that ALL of history matters and not just the history that has been whitewashed to suit propaganda.
As a wise man said as he got on a bus
Return to Edinburgh no come back
(Single ticket furra lurkers)
Get the petition stertit let’s edumacate these fick Engladiers aboot His story
Seriously I take no Loyal Royalists version of our History Us Brits ruled most of the planet and we treated all the Indigenous people’s horrendously. But then it’s always the winners that get to write it.

HH 😱

Well said that man......

I think if you asked most supporters they have absolute solidarity with the Irish disapora thats associated with Celtic, but............. i think while its a part of the fabric, there are many that would rather leave it behind. Ireland seems to have moved on. somewhat.. well you know what i mean,,,,

i'm somewhere in the middle, love the music and the truth in the message, its a just cause and republicanism is no different to the movement for Scottish independence. Fortunately there is a difference in that we are under political rule only and not occupation, nor facing assasinations for political ends.

The IRA are portrayed on this side of the pond as terrorists by the MSM, the fact is they killed people/innocents and what the british inflicted on another country is ignored much the same as the last few hundred years during their 'colonial and imperialist ideology'.

On a daily basis we see horrible shit. The media correctly reports it as heinous and disgusting acts being inflicted on your average people in other countries. Politicians fall over each other to get to the front of the queue. Me, i'm your average guy thats happens to love reading/reasearching history, the truth i know is that if the establishment in Britain was behaving like they did throughout last 200 years, then the rest of the world would be supplying certain countries with the military equipment to defeat us rather than your Putins.

As an aside, i'm a massive believer in independence. Simply because democracy is the only tool the average people can use to defeat the lunatic element on the establishment in a peaceful way. Voting can change the course of a country. But our nation will vote anything but Tory, yet we still get Tory rule. Voted to stay in Europe but we're out. We're about to suffer the pain of Tory rule now that they've went full on Tory, fuck the people, we're doing what Tories do. With independence, we'd never have another Tory councillor never mind a govt, hopefully at the same time the SNP would be finished too. I have heard many a hun complain about this Tory govt. 'the fucking Tories', but its these fucking unionist that are getting what they deserve, Westminster rule

Hicc, where was i.....

oh the RA, heres me favourite below, it was at MSQ in US, funny how it hardly got a mention here

I want to thank everyone for your contribution to this thread.
I started because I was confused as to why the Irish FA felt they had to apologise.
I was hoping to get exactly the responses that you have all provided.
And cheers for not turning it into a political battle thread as that's not what I wanted......

On another note, I've learned, that to the BBC...

Sevco fans singing about killing Catholics and Irish people = Carnival atmosphere.

Irish people singing about their history = terrorist supporting, uneducated people.

Back