Peter Lawwell

On the 28th of August which is just a mere 10 weeks away the final qualifying round for the Champions League will have completed. Our first competitive game is in just 17 days in Austria. The transfer window opens tomorrow. Peter Lawwell has to deliver 4 or 5 players ASAP. Think back to the squad that won the Scottish Cup. To that group we can add Christie, Griffiths, Arzani, Dembele, Okoflex, Morgan and other development players. If Lawwell can sign just two excellent players I suspect that might suffice. 4 or 5 would be a bonus.

On the 28th of August which is just a mere 10 weeks away the final qualifying round for the Champions League will have completed. Our first competitive game is in just 17 days in Austria. The transfer window opens tomorrow. Peter Lawwell has to deliver 4 or 5 players ASAP. Think back to the squad that won the Scottish Cup. To that group we can add Christie, Griffiths, Arzani, Dembele, Okoflex, Morgan and other development players. If Lawwell can sign just two excellent players I suspect that might suffice. 4 or 5 would be a bonus.
I would love a real quality experienced central defender who wants to be here.
A real quality right back who wants to be here.
a real quality central midfielder with adequate experience wh wants to be here
A real quality powerful proper experienced centre forward who wants to be here.

12.5 million for each of the 4 players

ramp up the operating costs for 2 seasons to see if they can make dent in Europe

but with intention of really going for the 10 and a good effort at the quintuple treble.

surely can afford a bit of extravagance for 2 seasons.

tests the finances for 2 seasons.

if it works you have real history.

if it fails it puts end to the inflation theory of competing

If it needs adjusting and downsizing required then hopefully at least 10 was hit.

And no-one can say the board didn't go for it big time.

very ambitious, bur for 2 more seasons at least I think its a gamble worth taking.

It would really put pressure on the King Kon to appease the gullibears and the zombified crypt.

4 top players better than anything we currently have.

2 defenders with talent and experience
1 proper classy midfielder central
1 proper classy centre forward.

2 year plan to be revised on 10 in a row, hopefully.

Bayo is a tall lad who could be a target man in the box. I've seen videos of him playing in Slovakia in this way. Any idea what's happened to him. Kouassi was tipped as the next Scott Brown. What is his ambition? Warming the bench? Henderson looks really good as does McInroy . Ralson could blossom. Turning these players into first team regulars is a cheaper option than buying in talent. That's 11 names i'[ve mentioned that were not in the Cup Winning team. I do not expect Peter Lawwell to splurge cash. But let's say we get $8,000,000 from Porto or Marseille for Ntcham and we spend $3,000,000 on Turnbull we swapped one midfielder for another. We could get loan players again. Do we spend enough to be dominant at home and if we qualify on 28th August there are still 3 days of the transfer window to go. Patience people. Buy in haste and repent at leisure. (Commper) Lawwell does not read blogs. He is not swayed by emotion. Are we developing a sense of entitlement to European success. Would a quadruple Treble not satisfy some people? Even that is unlikely. All is takes is a Masonic ref with a whistle to derail a treble. 90% are.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info MD . I'd forgotten about Shved and did not know about Bayo's hammy. That's him out for 6-8 weeks. I've also heard no word about the Americans getting called to attend for pre-season here. Benkovic did us a good turn and I reckon that as the window begins to close there will be some English Premiership teams with large squads to would want to loan a young player to us particularly if we have qualified for the CL group stages in Pot 3. We have to plant that suggestion in the English media. The same would apply to PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Any idea what happened to Martin Odegaarde? I gather he is not in the Real madrid first team and is on an 18 month loan in th Netherlands. He could be a star.

Thanks for that info MD . I'd forgotten about Shved and did not know about Bayo's hammy. That's him out for 6-8 weeks. I've also heard no word about the Americans getting called to attend for pre-season here. Benkovic did us a good turn and I reckon that as the window begins to close there will be some English Premiership teams with large squads to would want to loan a young player to us particularly if we have qualified for the CL group stages in Pot 3. We have to plant that suggestion in the English media. The same would apply to PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Any idea what happened to Martin Odegaarde? I gather he is not in the Real madrid first team and is on an 18 month loan in th Netherlands. He could be a star.
https://www.calciomercato.com/en/ne...woop-for-failed-real-madrid-wonderkid-m-42123

£50 mill plus wages,roll the dice on potential CL qualification, ah'm no bitin TET,our operational costs are already through the roof HH
2 season of inflation investing.

Say we bring in 4 players on 3 year deal 12.5 million

if they get 10 in row they get bit history

I would imagine they probably hold their value at very least for 2 years especially if we do bit better europe plus win 10 in a row.

the wages of Rodgers crew, boyata, Dembele, ntcham will have brought wages down decent chunk I hope.

plus the releasing of the loan wages another decent chunk

plus the dead wood that have no future

should leave enough to get 4 real quality players in.

explained to current bunch its a test and hopefully boost to squad to get 10 in a row.

its all about the history lads.

if after the two years we have made money then it was worth the gamble.

if it is hemouraging money we sell the 4 players who probably want a new challenge by that time anyway.

brings wages back under control and hopefully replaces the 50 million capital to cover possible losses incurred with the ramping up of wages.

if the inflation theory works you should actually get more than 12.5 million each that you invested at current rate player values seem to be doubling every 2 years.

if that inflation hasn't burst at that point. you embark on a new fiscal policy with hopefully the 10 in a row in the bag.

lots of happy faces and at that point it will be clear if its viable plan to utilise in scotland.

big problem is getting better players for 12.5 million each if guys like Kent are being touted at that price.

but hey ho.

I think for 2 years worth a gamble with proper talent, not the pu t variety.

board can change it after two years if its too risky without too big a hit as long as 10 in row is attained.

it would get fans on side

And also help them justify the prudent way if the inflation style goes pear shaped.

im pretty sure there are better players than ours at 12.5 million

the wages will be heavy if they are quality. but its only for 2 years

and with no debt currently it may just pay for itself if they double in value ver 2 years.

hypothetical for sure.

But as a 2 year proper project rather than gamble with young guys.

By 28th August we will either be in the Group stages or not. That is not an opinion. It's a fact. The transfer window does not close till 31st. Do you think that we need reinforcements before 9th July when we start qualification rounds or do we have enough quality to win though four rounds. I believe that our current squad has the technical skills to qualify but my concern is if they have the mental skills to be winners. Do they have emotional resilience and self belief. Are they pessimists or optimists? What's the mood of the dressing room? One minute Leigh Griffiths was banging in goals and the next he was psychologically unfit to play. The players have physical fitness but do they have psychological fitness. If they do then we will reach the Group stages. If not then we won't. My prediction for the transfer window is that we WILL qualify for the Group stages but will struggle the Saturday before and after a European game by not giving the Scottish opponents enough respect. This has been a pattern for years. It is completely unacceptable. Every drawn game loses us 2 points.

the season before "snake oil" arrived, Leigh Griffiths scored 40 goals, when "snake oil" turned up he dropped him!,Ah think Lenny will be good for Griff, and yes we need to strengthen,4 seasons of football crammed into 3,and we wonder why our players were running on empty, no respite this season either,quality recruitment is imperative.

I think if he was a bit less risk averse our financial position could have been better. We lost out on an achievable £60m+ CL bonanza last year if he had brought in players.

We talk about what he has done but dithering and a complete lack of continuous improvement has seen our firm fall off a cliff since the invincible year. Who could deny that? And if we can’t deny that, he is the man to look at to take the rap.

This window is the most important in many a year. The list was a huge disappointment in its scope and ambition. We have stood still and Sevco are closer. How can that happen and Lawell gets a bye?

I will be mostly unfeasibky drunk throughout this window to try to cope if we don’t act. There is another £60m+ haul to be made if we qualify for the CL. If we manage that by tooling up we will ragdoll those deluded cunts across the river.

Please get your finger out Celtic.

I think the reality lies somewhere in the middle, L.

This ^ is bang on the money and like Bridie Bhoy says Lawell 'isn't the devil and he isn't the messiah either.'

There's no doubt Lawell is a shrewd operator, he's an extremely clever businessman who knows how to negotiate a deal and more often than not he gets what he wants and that has secured some very lucrative commercial and sponsorship deals with very favourable terms for the club over the years BUT like all 'good' businessmen he is also a ruthless, calculated opportunist who has a tendency to be a bit of a control freak! He oversteps and interferes in areas of the football operation where it would be best for all involved if he just steered well clear and he seems pathologically inflexible when it comes to the transfer strategy. I think it's fair to say he's an asset in certain areas and a detriment in others.

All in all I would rather he was inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in but I still think he needs reigned in at times.

I think Lawwell would be understood/appreciated a little bit more if he was less patronising, and less of a control freak.

We know he’s a Celtic fan, and we know he was waiting for the bus when the Lions came back from Lisbon, - he’s told us enough.

You still always get the impression though that he feels he’s doing us all a favour when he signs a player, or does something progressive. Last week for eg, and the new indoor pitch at Barrowfield, - everything feels like a big deal, like he’s doing it almost grudgingly.

It’s just the vibe, - we get all the platitudes, but then everything is dragged out, to the point we don’t know if he’s genuine/doing it for the right reasons. He always seems to have an angle.

He basically makes you cynical, when we should be jumping for joy.

No question Boab......Lawell every single time. King is nowhere near Lawell's league, only an idiot would think he was.

All I'm saying is Lawell has both good and bad attributes. There are things he's brilliant at and there are things he's not so good at, areas where he's the man you want making the decisions and areas where you'd rather it was left to others better suited.

HH Boab.

No question Boab......Lawell every single time. King is nowhere near Lawell's league, only an idiot would think he was.

All I'm saying is Lawell has both good and bad attributes. There are things he's brilliant at and there are things he's not so good at, areas where he's the man you want making the decisions and areas where you'd rather it was left to others better suited.

HH Boab.
Defo agree, but so far domestically good, Europe to me is a lottery at the lower end and we still fall under the, it might be you, as opposed to some day it will be you.

Defo agree, but so far domestically good, Europe to me is a lottery at the lower end and we still fall under the, it might be you, as opposed to some day it will be you.

100% Boab. Domestically we've been untouchable and although I believe we can improve on the European front I'm realistic when it comes to what we can expect on that stage.

CL qualification should still be our aim, it is achievable but I recognise it's becoming more and more difficult, last 16 well I'd love that but just don't see it happening anytime soon especially under the current set-up so dropping down to the Europa League and maybe aiming for a wee run there......I'd be happy with that.

Ideally over time UEFA would regain their sanity (won't hold my breath) and allow actual Champions automatic qualification into the CL again and the income generated through qualification would allow us to gradually improve to the point where the CL last 16 becomes our aim.

All in all I just think there are areas where PL & the board could do a bit better than what they have been, I'm not even talking about loosening the purse strings necessarily but maybe being a bit more flexible on the criteria when it comes to player recruitment. I'd like to see some experience brought in alongside the young project players as I think that balance could make all the difference.

HH Boab.

100% Boab. Domestically we've been untouchable and although I believe we can improve on the European front I'm realistic when it comes to what we can expect on that stage.

CL qualification should still be our aim, it is achievable but I recognise it's becoming more and more difficult, last 16 well I'd love that but just don't see it happening anytime soon especially under the current set-up so dropping down to the Europa League and maybe aiming for a wee run there......I'd be happy with that.

Ideally over time UEFA would regain their sanity (won't hold my breath) and allow actual Champions automatic qualification into the CL again and the income generated through qualification would allow us to gradually improve to the point where the CL last 16 becomes our aim.

All in all I just think there are areas where PL & the board could do a bit better than what they have been, I'm not even talking about loosening the purse strings necessarily but maybe being a bit more flexible on the criteria when it comes to player recruitment. I'd like to see some experience brought in alongside the young project players as I think that balance could make all the difference.

HH Boab.
Good points AB, on the European front though i think change is afoot, and it is due to this non champions taking up four places from one country, the CL could be cutting its own throat fans become bored with same old same old.
Lawwell and Ajax held talks on this and i also believe should proper governance kick in with FFP or tax haven investigations, we might just be in the right time for a neew tournament, how can you tell Man City fans due to irregularities you may not be in the CL and Chelsea you have an embargo that will hinder your clubs chances in the CL. It's a tax haven AB and it has to burst soon, read an interesting tweet tonight regards tax havens .
"
[B]AndyCybernat[/B]‏ @[B]andrewg73425935[/B] 5h5 hours ago

Replying to @[B]MrHickmott[/B]

The EU threatened the tax dodging of the rich (and business profits) by investigating dodgy offshore tax havens, this could not be allowed and so brexit (cheerleaded by the tories and labour), bankrolled by big business was promoted as restoring nationhood from the evil EU.

2 replies . 0 retweets 5 likes

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1025462106173399040/25h1XMAk_bigger.jpg[/IMG] [B]AndyCybernat[/B]‏ @[B]andrewg73425935[/B] 5h5 hours ago

Fortunately,Scotland has an out in Independance, and I (as a Scot), invite any sane English or Welsh folk to move north and help us achieve this. You are welcome to help us build a new nation from the ashes of this defunct union, all you need do is move up here and become a Scot

Sometimes we need to shake ourselves and realise that the more we crave the more the game becomes rigged to satisfy and exploit the demand we create. Football has lost its identity with a lot of clubs and is slowly eating into and exploiting old tradional clubs and soon it will eat itself, tail first.

Last edited:
Back