Retirement

I'm a relatively young retiree having retired at 57 three years ago come August this year. I worked for 41 years full time and before that worked on the milk floats the ice cream vans including a newspaper round from age 11 before getting a shelf filling job at the supermarket at age 15 and a bit. Spent the bulk of that 41 years in Transport and Warehousing Distribution where I cut out a Health & Safety career for myself firstly having gained the operational experience before getting the safety qualifications I needed.

I had planned when we were in our 40's to retire at 55 but stayed on until 57 to let the wife catch up to let us both retire at the same time. With two good pensions built up over 30 years it was a no brainer. I don't miss work the politics and the corporate bullshit one iota. Although I've had a health scare this year I am hopefully on the mend but I am not complaining and feel lucky I have the choices I do.

The weekend is still very much the weekend in retirement...and Sundays are stress free not thinking about going to work on the Monday. (Some are even Beautiful 🍀🎵)
We always have something to do on a daily basis so much so that we don't know how we ever fitted work in to be honest.

Spring up to Autumn lends itself to plenty days or weeks away more so day trips during covid but never the less a feeling of relaxation and freedom to do what you want if and when you want...the front and back garden are minted now also and will be ongoing.
Winter has seen me get the wife's much avoided ongoing lists dealt with including de cluttering and full house re decorated amongst other jobs which never end.

Finally I still keep my hand in when called upon as I have a big extended family so out doing jobs elsewhere for family and friends paid and unpaid of course.
Throw in the time we spend caring for the wife's 94 year old Mum and its all go really.
Oh and I enjoy reading the noise ..Hail Hail to one and all.

Funny enough a still get excited when a see a bin lorry!!!once a fortnight 😂they’ve got it easy noo mate,but probably don’t get the turn you got back in the day??👍😂unless you call the odd kebab a turn🤷‍♂️💩
When the wheel bins came in I called them all pussy pram pushers, when I started in 1978 it was still the steel bins at some shops, agnews fish shop at Cadzow Bridge used to spew ma guts over the old town bridge every Monday morning 2 had to lift it it was that heavy and the smell, wisny exactly good for a Monday morning hangover, not that we had many hangovers for first thing on a Monday morning we were under the back seat from the carry oot left from the Friday session, a wee saviour many a Monday morning

Fecken place is fu o coffin dodgers…..who is the youngest regular poster oan here?
It’s naw you ya Youngish cnut yi wait till the Arthritis kicks in and once you looked at wimmen soon yir looking fur Toilets 🚽
And Digestive biscuits start to smell guid as well as the smell o pish reekin oot o yi
Very soon very soon young yin
Very soon
This Comment supplied by Auld Age GIRFUY

HH 😂

I remember when there were only 3 channels I had an old black and white telly in my bedroom as a young teen you needed a match stick tae hold one of the buttons in place I mind watching The Sweeny religiously you could be sure every week the police would burst in tae a bedroom and some startled burd would sit up topless 😂 that was pure filth back then if I had 3 tellys it would have been like surround sound 😂😂
I had a black and white portable and the horizontal hold was ah ta fuck and that zig zag would appear on the screen. If ye hit the telly hard it would fix it. I used to sit wi a brush for smacking the top o the tv with. Saves ye having to get up and hit the telly. Couldna watch the TV without my telly whacker brush.

I had a black and white portable and the horizontal hold was ah ta fuck and that zig zag would appear on the screen. If ye hit the telly hard it would fix it. I used to sit wi a brush for smacking the top o the tv with. Saves ye having to get up and hit the telly. Couldna watch the TV without my telly whacker brush.
A brush remote control ? A rich mans life 😂

About 15 years ago our telly was a bit flickery at times, put up with it for ages because it wasn't too bad, then one day our neighbour happened to have a TV repair man in, as he was leaving I asked if he wouldn't mind having a look at ours. In he came I told him what was happening, he skelped the back of my telly with his screwdriver handle, picture flickered then disappeared for good. "Aye the tubes fucked that'll be £20 please"

20 quid for hitting my telly with a screwdriver and breaking it! He was in and out the house in 90 seconds, robbing bastard! I always remember his name was Mr Pick, clearly an R missing!

I was brought up next door to Fairfields and if a crane was left at night facing the wrong way we couldn't get a picture on the telly. My auld da would be holding the aerial up high all over the house so that the screen wasn't just a big snowball. Of course the best picture came when he climbed on the sideboard and held it 10 feet high.
'Just stay there da, we've a picture noo'. 😂

I was brought up next door to Fairfields and if a crane was left at night facing the wrong way we couldn't get a picture on the telly. My auld da would be holding the aerial up high all over the house so that the screen wasn't just a big snowball. Of course the best picture came when he climbed on the sideboard and held it 10 feet high.
Yer man Rod Hull (Roy?) of annoying emu fame fell aff his roof and died adjusting his aerial….for an England game.

Good job you never got the aerial gig Shammy...

"It needs to be higher stand on the sideboard"

"I bloody am stood on the sideboard da!!!"

🏑 🏑 🏑

Members online

No members online now.

Back