Sack Rodgers NOW!!

As per his contract, Knutson is on a percentage payment to him of players sold at his current club. That’s a big reason why he has little chance of coming to us…
I don't understand why that would be an obstacle to bringing him in. BR is on 3 to 4 times Knutson's current salary at Bodo (about one third less than what we were paying Nat Phillips). Even factoring in the sell-on % he makes on their profit, it will still be less than Rodgers is on. If that is the incentive it takes to have a manager develop players so their value soars then so be it - it means we will be being successful.

I don't understand why that would be an obstacle to bringing him in. BR is on 3 to 4 times Knutson's current salary at Bodo (about one third less than what we were paying Nat Phillips). Even factoring in the sell-on % he makes on their profit, it will still be less than Rodgers is on. If that is the incentive it takes to have a manager develop players so their value soars then so be it - it means we will be being successful.
Problem is dealing with the Lawwells😞

Nothing wrong with a bit of incentive imo…..but as things currently stand at Celtic, I think hiring Knutson would put a few noses out of joint. Much is the pity…

Well said BB.

Maybe the problem is the players not the manager. We've lost quality and signed mediocrity and have a group of players who look terrified to try something positive, rather play safe than take a risk. The text below could be BR talking about us. For Kane read Kyogo.
A manager making excuses or players scared to take risks? Or both?

The night after the game against Lazio in Rome, Thomas Tuchel sat with the club's bosses and explained to them where the problems currently lie. Tuchel's analysis was that the players don't dare to take any risks, they only go for the safe option, preferring to pass the ball backwards or sideways rather than boldly forward. That means there are no moments of surprise for the opponent and no 1v1 situations that players like Leroy Sané or Jamal Musiala need. And as a result, the strengths of Harry Kane cannot be put to use, which led to only one shot on target in two games against Lazio and Leverkusen

Maybe the problem is the players not the manager. We've lost quality and signed mediocrity and have a group of players who look terrified to try something positive, rather play safe than take a risk. The text below could be BR talking about us. For Kane read Kyogo.

The night after the game against Lazio in Rome, Thomas Tuchel sat with the club's bosses and explained to them where the problems currently lie. Tuchel's analysis was that the players don't dare to take any risks, they only go for the safe option, preferring to pass the ball backwards or sideways rather than boldly forward. That means there are no moments of surprise for the opponent and no 1v1 situations that players like Leroy Sané or Jamal Musiala need. And as a result, the strengths of Harry Kane cannot be put to use, which led to only one shot on target in two games against Lazio and Leverkusen
I think our two biggest risk takers last season were Hatate and Jota. Both were prepared to try the difficult through pass, cross or taking on a player (more so Jota). Statistically they may have had a lower than average success rate, but when it worked it often created good chances (at least, I remembered reading that at some point in the season, I may be wrong for the full season stats). But both are missing. We really need get back to the pass and move, pass and move to continually probe the defence of our opponents and give the player in possession multiple options for the next pass.

We also seem to be passing to the players' feet these days, which means that they have to stop to receive the ball, so we lose a lot of momentum. Last season, players like Kyogo, Maeda and Abada preferred a throughball for them to run onto so they were able to take advantage of their fantastic speed and stamina - some of these passes may well fail, but eventually we did score from this style of play.

Is this because our players have become too conservative, is it because the manager demands this style, is it just because the manager doesn't berate them if they slow the play down as Ange did and it is easier for them to play risk aversive football, or is it a combination of all of these reasons? Whatever it is, we need to adjust how we play as it is becoming far too easy for teams with much lower quality of players to negate our tactics by working much harder than us and being smarter/more street-wise.

Last edited:

Is that because B R is metrics daft? Analysing every incomplete pass and the distance between each pass versus the risk of losing possession? Its all too easy to see the players are shiting themselves to take a chance, is that why our wingers cut inside rather than cross from the byline?

Robot football mate, I've been saying it all season... We have stifled the creative and turn them into living robots..

We have a plethora of wingers scared of the byline and midfielders scared to get by the low lying strikers....

No individual talent on show

When we next take the field on Sunday we will be 5 points behind. The pressure on our underperforming team will increase. The manager needs to find a formation/system to get the best out of who he has available, he needs to ditch the slow, monotonous, risk free, safety first football of recent weeks. Probably an unpopular opinion but he needs to do what Clement did when he took over an underachieving shambles of a squad at Ibrox. He quickly decided on a style of play to try to get the best out of average players. The formation didn't change just how they played within it and who played within it. They've lost once in 20+ games. Not pretty to watch but effective.
I'm not saying we should copy their direct style of play but our manager needs to work out how to create the chances for Kyogo again, get 2 of our multitude of wingers to play in a way that creates chances and gets into goalscoring positions themselves, play at least one centre half capable of quickly passing the ball forward, move MOR further up the field where he was POTY until the winter break (that means someone else beside CalMac in the deeper role). It may well be that he could try these and many other things and the current squad of players are just not good enough to win the league, but not to try something is negligent.

While I admit to being happy when Brendan was appointed following Ange I regret to say that I was 100% wrong. This is not the Brendan of old but a much more watered down version who appears to be stuck in a time warp with all and sundry outwitting him at will. If results are to be believed Scotland has the greatest managerial talent ever - ha ha. It follows therefore that maybe the players that we have are not as bad as everyone is making out. There are several players who when they first took part for us actually looked pretty decent - there are some that have been loaned out that look more than decent. The real problem in my opinion is that the flair that some of these guys have is now actually being coached out of them. So sorry to say Brendan no longer enjoys my support however I'm sure he will console himself counting the wages that he is getting for not a lot.

I know where you are coming from with this Gary... But how many of the VAR decisions the huns have had would we get, they punt it long into the box and hope the VAR officials help out, players are now scared to tackle them as the least little touch and bingo... Plus they usually have about 10 more minutes when the result is in doubt to try and get a goal...

But I do agree about the play to your strengths philosophy and that is were we are losing it just now...

The tactics have to change and be speedier in their application...

Back