Saint Michaels Church Parkhead

Frank53

I paid a visit to St Michael's yesterday.I sometimes attend before Celtic home games..they have a Mass at 12.30 pm on a Saturday.The parish priest addressed the congregation after mass to advise that they have bills totalling 19K .These bills are due to be paid at the end of March 2019.The bills,although not unexpected have put the parish in a precarious position, but repairs to the heating system were necessary and unavoidable. This Church ,along with Saint Mary's has a huge affinity with Celtic Football Club.A mass was held recently for our deceased Celtic supporting family members. It is just around the corner from Celtic Park. This Church has supported generations of Celtic fans and been a place of peace amid the noise and turmoil that can be the East End. The parishioners cannot raise enough to pay this bill.They have 300 people attending at the weekend.They are trying very hard and doing everything they can to raise money but the sums don't add up. Saint Michaels has been there for us through the good and sad times in our Celtic supporting lives,it would be good if we can return the favour..As stated the situation is precarious. Can we help? Anybody got any ideas..go fund me?..help and suggestions ..aye and cash required.

Thanks ,Shamrock ..will do that .
The Diocese of Dunkeld appears to find finance for the "flagship" churches in, and around, the area where I live.

One of our noted churches (St Vincent de Paul) is now in the hands of a completely different branch of Christianity and I'm pretty sure that this is a feature which is happening throughout the country.

These buildings, along with the folk who inhabit and inhabited them, have been the venue for many of the most significant moments in our lives: from Baptism, Confirmation, First Communion, Marriage and Remembrance of Life. The importance of these beautiful buildings on each of the commuities they serve cannot be underestimated.

I don't want to worship in a 2,000 capacity superchurch. I like the intimacy of my own Chapel (St Patrick's) and sharing the stories and experiences of our congregation.

I understand that costs can be astronomical and that there will be times when there is no viable way to fund repairs and renovation.

But £19,000???

Surely there must be a way to raise that sum for a significant place of worship. Even if it's collection cans/buckets outside Parkhead.

On a side note ..I was telling a priest about an incident were my wife got abuse from 5 neds in a car on the gallowgate..no scarf on,just green jacket ,trainers,scarfs on the bench where she was sitting..she is 62 BTW..anyway the priest says same thing happened to him .. guy comes up to him .."yer a fenian bastard"...priest replies....
" is there an alternative? "...This was lost on the zombie,however.

Last edited:
On a side note ..I was telling a priest about an incident were my wife got abuse from 5 neds in a car on the gallowgate..no scarf on,just green jacket ,trainers,scarfs on the bench where she was sitting..she is 62 BTW..anyway the priest says same thing happened to him .. guy comes up to him .."yer a fenian bastard"...priest replies....
" is there an alternative"...This was lost on the zombie,however.
Whilst not undermining the idiocy that your good wife was exposed to, Frank. I have to Hahaha at the retort by your Priest. There are some good young fellows injecting humour into proceedings and who are gaining a profile by standing up in the face of provocation.

Blessed are the not-so-meek!

Brilliant......Absolutely Brilliant!

What a reposte!

I'm havin' my t-shirt emblazoned as we speak!

"Proud to be a Fenian....... is there an alternative"?????? !

Its made me laugh for the last two hours.............where can I contribute Frank..........if they take Dundee money!

God bless us all.

" is there an alternative? "...This was lost on the zombie,however.

Zombie humour:
Huns.jpg

I paid a visit to St Michael's yesterday.I sometimes attend before Celtic home games..they have a Mass at 12.30 pm on a Saturday.The parish priest addressed the congregation after mass to advise that they have bills totalling 19K .These bills are due to be paid at the end of March 2019.The bills,although not unexpected have put the parish in a precarious position, but repairs to the heating system were necessary and unavoidable. This Church ,along with Saint Mary's has a huge affinity with Celtic Football Club.A mass was held recently for our deceased Celtic supporting family members. It is just around the corner from Celtic Park. This Church has supported generations of Celtic fans and been a place of peace amid the noise and turmoil that can be the East End. The parishioners cannot raise enough to pay this bill.They have 300 people attending at the weekend.They are trying very hard and doing everything they can to raise money but the sums don't add up. Saint Michaels has been there for us through the good and sad times in our Celtic supporting lives,it would be good if we can return the favour..As stated the situation is precarious. Can we help? Anybody got any ideas..go fund me?..help and suggestions ..aye and cash required.

I will see if i can see the priest tonight and give a donation.

This is what can happen SP...It would be awfull if that happened here...it's a lovely church ...warm and friendly and on our doorstep.

Is that your parish Frank?

Im in that chapel hall every Monday night.

It is a nice building. I havent been inside the chapel. But i knew they were having problems with the heating.

My friend said it costs something like £150 to heat the chapel for an hour to which another friend scoffed he’s fulla shit. ??

But reckon its true.

HH pal ☘️

Members online

Latest posts

Back