Scotland game

Now would Henry of taken the shot on if forrest was on the right instead of O'Donnell?
I don't think he would. I think the manager got his starting line up all wrong. He never set up to win the game, instead he set-up to contain the Czechs.
Totally agree. Armstrong broke earlier looked wide saw o'Donnell and hit a shot, had that been Forrest not a chance he'd have hit a straight shot with bodies in front, evidenced by the shot deflected over. Like I said earler too cautious today and now we have to gamble when a bit of ambition would have allowed caution in next two games. That said I get the decision to play O'Donnell. Czech's big side, rely on cross balls and set pieces, O'Donnell's height defensively is an understandable punt

I'd be surprised if such a naturally over-cautious manager like Clarke would insist on his goalie standing 40 yards of his line. Having said that, it was a lucky rebound and an amazing finish that probably would have missed 99 times out of 100.
at 0-0 I doubt it would have happened but look at positioning for whole team as ball broke. All pushed up. Marshall's positioning made sense, as much as anyone elses did, any deeper and the gap was open to a run straight on keeper

Totally agree. Armstrong broke earlier looked wide saw o'Donnell and hit a shot, had that been Forrest not a chance he'd have hit a straight shot with bodies in front, evidenced by the shot deflected over. Like I said earler too cautious today and now we have to gamble when a bit of ambition would have allowed caution in next two games. That said I get the decision to play O'Donnell. Czech's big side, rely on cross balls and set pieces, O'Donnell's height defensively is an understandable punt
Wasn't o Donnell used as a wing back Niall J, and yet offered nothing, so height shouldn't have been such an issue.
Still believe many teams are using the approach of a 3 that can adapt to the 5 nowadays, but straight away seeing o Donnell on a team sheet, you would know which side to hit hard and a lopsided shape to the team, much like we were early last season when we played it.
Midfield never looked like a good working unit, which was a surprise with the players involved, and big mistake not starting with Adams and still can't work out what was the thinking behind that decision

Wasn't o Donnell used as a wing back Niall J, and yet offered nothing, so height shouldn't have been such an issue.
Still believe many teams are using the approach of a 3 that can adapt to the 5 nowadays, but straight away seeing o Donnell on a team sheet, you would know which side to hit hard and a lopsided shape to the team, much like we were early last season when we played it.
Midfield never looked like a good working unit, which was a surprise with the players involved, and big mistake not starting with Adams and still can't work out what was the thinking behind that decision
O'Donnell's height comes into play covering Hendry behind ( I think protected due to inexperience), back post crosses tucking in and of course from dead balls. He looked however like he was bricking it early on, he even managed to backheel a ball out for a throw under no pressure and slice a defensive clearance back to his central defence...whilst facing forward - no mean feat. Not to mention the Schik chance prior to the goal when hanley did brilliantly to cover, fashion space lay the ball wide and all O'Donnell had to do was clear his lines, straight up the touchline. Our approach was more attacking licence down the left and I think ( I repeat I think) O'Donnell was expected to hang back when robertson went forward. He seemed caught between two stools. It was also clear when we went 3-4-3 (or almost did) that was why Clarke kept O'Donnell on, to push the left option, as we had momemts where Fraser played wide right but we had no left side width bar Robertson expected to bust a gut and allow Dykes and Adams to continue playing close to each other. We'd probably have been better just introducing forrest before Fraser, dropping McTominay back to Hendry's position and just going 3-4-1-2 and letting, Fraser play in behind the two strikers. I think that was possibly the plan but the players looked really confused.

Lots of folk saying Scotland were ''unlucky '', ''could have taken something '', ''missed chances to score '' etc...

That is International Football and at this level you don't rely on luck , you take your chances when they come .
The Czech centre forward had four chances - hit the target with all four and scored with two . What did our centre forward do ? I counted two shots , one past the post another saved by the keeper when he should have scored .
As for the rest ...23 years waiting for this ? Sorry , I can't get enthusiastic over another debacle . You can't polish a turd .
We got into this competition on the backs of two penalty shootouts ...and it showed . We lack class both on the field and in the dugout .

Off to watch Spain V Sweden now .

HH

Lots of folk saying Scotland were ''unlucky '', ''could have taken something '', ''missed chances to score '' etc...

That is International Football and at this level you don't rely on luck , you take your chances when they come .
The Czech centre forward had four chances - hit the target with all four and scored with two . What did our centre forward do ? I counted two shots , one past the post another saved by the keeper when he should have scored .
As for the rest ...23 years waiting for this ? Sorry , I can't get enthusiastic over another debacle . You can't polish a turd .
We got into this competition on the backs of two penalty shootouts ...and it showed . We lack class both on the field and in the dugout .

HH
Spot on It proved we are miles off it, but that should be expected. That said a little more ambition today, we may not have been so far off it. I don't think we utilised whay we had to best effect. Tierney loss spooked the coaching team I think.

We’ve played the Czech’s with no strikers and now with 1 up front when this game said play 2. Clarke did what most managers do tried not to lose
This was the time to go for it.
Now we have to.
We did well with Robertson on the Left
But no width on the right right for Forrest
To conservative for me rather lose but having a right go at them from the start in there faces typical blood and guts Scotland
Hey ho we’re on to Wembley

HH 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

HH
Can't polish a turd. Are you shay logan 🤣

Can't polish a turd. Are you shay logan 🤣
Technically our players are lacking, unable to control the ball, lacking in the awareness of space, the only team that punts the ball from goal kicks, most other teams choose to play the ball out, but our players aren't capable of this. Today we looked a bit out of our depth. On a positive note I'm now positive we won't get a single point from the 3 games. And as I've said previously this will at least get our clubs players a decent rest HH

Watched almost all the games so far . One thing jumps out when you see the venues around Europe - Hampden is a dump !!!
Visually the other venues are all stunning - Hampden is a featureless 19thC bowl of a stadium .

Wee Fergus was SO right when he questioned plans to tart it up in the 1990's when they had two better stadiums in Glasgow .

Over £66 million spent on building a dump that is one of the worst venues in which to watch football -unless you have eyes like an eagle .
And how much of that money was purloined by the Queen's Park directors who were , unaccountably , put in charge of the spending of public/lottery monies ?

As for the constant drone from some that ''Hampden is the home of Scottish Football '' and must be preserved - aye right ! In 1890's maybe , but at the time of rebuilding it was a derelict wasteland of a stadium with 19thC facilities for a club playing there who were stuck in the 19thC !
After rebuilding it was no better than a third-rate arena useful for pipeband competitions and rock concerts .

HH

Fucking gutted that we turned up and were sent out like wee fannys heading to fannydom.
Lacking guts and a manager with the confidence to realise we were playing our easiest opportunity in a home game.
The scowl deserves our scowl
Shat the bed IMO
Played the game like an away game
Instead of our country been on fire we’re all typing with one eye, well I am
Opportunity gone

Watched almost all the games so far . One thing jumps out when you see the venues around Europe - Hampden is a dump !!!
Visually the other venues are all stunning - Hampden is a featureless 19thC bowl of a stadium .

Wee Fergus was SO right when he questioned plans to tart it up in the 1990's when they had two better stadiums in Glasgow .

Over £66 million spent on building a dump that is one of the worst venues in which to watch football -unless you have eyes like an eagle .
And how much of that money was purloined by the Queen's Park directors who were , unaccountably , put in charge of the spending of public/lottery monies ?

As for the constant drone from some that ''Hampden is the home of Scottish Football '' and must be preserved - aye right ! In 1890's maybe , but at the time of rebuilding it was a derelict wasteland of a stadium with 19thC facilities for a club playing there who were stuck in the 19thC !
After rebuilding it was no better than a third-rate arena useful for pipeband competitions and rock concerts .

HH
yep a quality shithole with no atmosphere and they have a neck on them claiming it is the only stadium in the country suitable to host european finals

HH
Have to agree , it's a shite venue for football. Equally it's also a shite venue for gigs, if your in the stands the sound quality is poor.
Did SFA not just get another £20m for the stadium

On the game : When the Czech's scored their first from a cross following a corner I was surprised to hear that genius of commentary , James McHaddy , claim that nothing could have prevented their CF scoring with a magnificent header .
Well , James , maybe in the modern game , but I am old enough to remember a time when that header would NOT have been a problem .

Picture the scene : 1969 Scottish Cup Final between Celtic and ( a now defunct ) Rangers at the ''Home of Scottish Football ''. Early minutes of the game , corner to Celtic - Big Billy rises to power a header into the top right-hand corner .
In the aftermath of the game ( Celtic win 4-0 !!! ) the postmortem is all about WHY was there NO ONE from Rangers marking the POST !
In days gone by it was taken for granted that a good defence required full-backs to mark each post at a corner and Free Kicks into the box and remain there until the danger was cleared .
Had Scotland adopted this measure against the Czech's then we might have avoided the first goal .

Given the woeful defending of Celtic in the season just finished , it would not be a bad idea to turn the clock back and use this ''old-fashioned'' tactic at Parkhead .

HH

Last edited:
Back