Scottish Champs v European Champs, Tues 6th Sept 2022 at 8pm (BST)

Tell you another difference tonight, no dirty play and no ridiculous refereeing. A good game played in good spirits and officiated pretty well.
Great point, Hoopy........I'm betting that that's one of the first times they Madrid boys walked off a pitch without a single cheap shot being laid into them.

Referee was decent enough, but I'm pretty sure he would have had a second look if one of our centre-halves had two arms wrapped around Benzema in the box. Apart fae that, the boy looked like he enjoyed the game being played in a fair, but competitive, spirit.

Do any of you guys frequent the squirrel bar by any chance?-thats another cliquey weird place where good Tim's arent welcomed

Greenock...FFS...dodged a bullet there
Must have been some atmosphere tonight
Watched it without sound
Madrid stepped it up a gear and I thought we just didn't take the chances we had
Still, w'ere at the top table once again, so can't complain
HH

HH DILL, Aye it was. Also the 3 Grandweans & wee sister 1st Champions Lge match, we got in about 45min before kick off was ½ full, the GB were outstanding by keeping it going. As you say if only, the fuckin roof would have been off.

Ach, now wrang wae Greenock it looks lovely fae Dumbarton 😂😂

We could have gotten something here if we’d taken those chances.
This is one of our biggest failings...not capitalizing on chances
Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing. After taking our chances much better in the past couple of league games, I was hoping that we would be more likely to take half chances tonight but a bit of bad luck with Calmac's shot off the post and a lack of focus with Maeda's shot just show how much we have to keep maximum focus when playing top teams. After all, Real Madrid have won more European Cups/Champions League than sevco have had birthdays so they are well used to this level of competition.

Well just watched the highlights an e were so unlucky mcgregor didn't score. I have to say, we were very poor at the back for their goals. This is the trouble when we're not tested on a weekly basis. We go on, RM are in the top 5% of European clubs, we'll see how we do against Shakhtar who had a great result, it maybe a better indicator of where we really are.

I genuinely don't know what game some people were watching.
We play in a league that holds us back against the big league teams.
We have a young team.
This is their 1st game together in the champions league.
We took on and stood our ground against the best team europe, who I have seen completely dismantle "better" teams than us.
And there's people saying words like "pumped" and moaning about the performance.
We did not go out and stick 11 men behind the ball and get battered from pillar to post like we usually do. We went out to try and win playing our style of football. Ange and the players will learn and get better like they have since the day the boss walked in the door.
Hunner percent mate.
This wasnt a backs to the wall performance and on another day we couldve been 2 up at one point.
Nothing for couldve , obviously, but I'm proud at how we went about our business tonight.
I know that JJ is taking stick from some quarters but tbh Vinicious jnr had the ball on a string at times and that was a thankless task for any defender.
I'd much prefer we gave it a go as we did than be a version of Ross County v ourselves.
We're the Scottish champions at home and played as such.
They're 4 times champions league winners in the last 7 seasons , a little bit of realism with our pint is no bad thing.
They were rattled in the 1st half, and we were unfortunate not to go in front.
The game couldve been different, but we didn't get the luck/rub of the green our play deserved I thought.

The very fact that we were optimistic before this game speaks encylopaedias given our position just over 12 months ago.
Back then any one of us would have been laughed out the building for even contemplating it.
Let's not forget that we are ahead of schedule, well ahead.
Near 20 players in the door in 3 windows and we feel prepared to go toe to toe with that side.
Says it all.
I still maintain that should we finish above 4th from 4 , then that's an enormous achievement.
Tonight we played the best side Europe has to offer and whilst the scoreline might suggest we were handed one , we certainly were not.
Alright Bhoys and Ghirls. Now it's because I've been spoiled under the old floodlights of Celtic park on these European nights I can carried away with our performances nowadays.If I have been too harsh my apologies just that I was spoiled, and believed that Celtic could win any game. 🍀🍀
Chances taken tonight Allybhoy and we might've seen a different result.
Sure , might've, could've etc wins you nothing but plaudits
This is the reason why we're here though, to be tested .
Against the best.
They dont come better than that side tonight.
We were tested but showed really well I believe.

We aren't tested in Scotland, not enough and often its usually been down to our own mistakes or mibbery that we're even tested at all domestically.

I'm positive that like the rest of us , even Ange was hopeful that we could do something tonight.
Im also positive that he won't be overly disappointed because hes all about the performance and I saw a top drawer performance from Celtic.

At 3-0 down we were still trying to take the game to Madrid,
how many sides will they face like that I wonder.
Our first half display , 1st 55 mins or so,
I was really impressed with the performance against the best side Ancelotti has brought to CP, certainly the most successful one.
Probably the reason it's the first time hes ever left CP victorious.

Calmac was so unlucky, Courtois was well beaten , had no idea where the ball was ,like us he thought it was in.
Some of our passing under pressure and opening up Madrid at times was genuinely really great play, the Abada opportunity etc.
We were doing it against the best and even in the second half Maeda had the opportunity to put us in front.
I wont criticise maeda , he was just on and I think mightve started that move off?

I look back 12 months , see a Celtic side under a new unknown manager , snubbed by a high profile English manager, losing our first 3 away games etc and now?

Now we have expectations ( optimistic ones granted) that we can challenge the very best.
We bested the very best that first half , when it comes to clear cut chances despite their possession, which was far closer by the end 40/60 or so.

We have every chance of progressing despite this result in one tournament or another, perhaps 3rd ahead of leipzig is a realistic goal but we dream bigger.

Celtic lost 3-0 at home to European champions Real Madrid ( shockaroonie- not) .
Chelsea lost away to Dinamo Zagreb 1-0
Leipzig lost 4-1 at home to Shakhtar ( manys favourites for 4th place).
Those are shock results.

I'm disappointed that the result shows 3-0 defeat but I'm encouraged by the performance and that we didnt lose our way in how Ange wants us to play tactically for the entirity.

First half.
I'm proud of how we took them on to the brink.
How calmac rendered modric anonymous.
Jota was beating his man.
Abada was getting on the end of things and in the right positions.
Hart did what's expected.
Defence held strong.

We didnt convert this time unfortunately but I saw enough of that to take great heart from .
We are ahead of schedule too, it's near ridiculous how 20 players have bedded in so seamlessly and quickly.

Disappointed leaving the pub , but honestly, beer wearing off, I'm possibly more optimistic than before.
Hoping to catch them off their game but enforced ours and then champions enforced theirs and made it count.
That was the difference HH 🍀

Dont be concerned-just call me a hun-a mother n father n sister shagging hun it's the celtic way apparently-if you post something the fkn snowflakes dont like-was at the 100th Scottish cup final,love st 86,-centerany double 88-suffered the barren 90s attended the jungles last stand-helped oust the corrupt old board and ushered in the new era-enjoy modern Celtic-youve been lucky
Right ok Plumbhoy I havent read the original post that I think you're referring to here.
I was referring to another.
Perhaps you could tell me the number of the post on this thread you think you're getting pelters for and I'll go back and check it out , give you my honest opinion.
Weve all agreed recently that we would check it out if one of our members thinks they're being treated unfairly.
What's the post number were into the 500s ?
I'll have a look and be honest about it.
I think as well plumbhoy, you've been a member for about a year and barely said anything so no-one's really engaged with you.
Dont go ballistic, plead your case
You been misunderstood?
I'm sure we'll understand if you say it without cursing your point ,
I'll understand it better anyway

Ange

“I just feel the responsibility of bringing this football club to this level. That’s what these fans deserve,” he said. “There is no starker reminder of that than the reception they gave us after the game. They deserve to see their football club competing with the likes of Real Madrid on a regular basis, and really competing. I feel that responsibility and I want to get us up to this level so that this club and these fans get what they deserv

Back