Scottish Champs v European Champs, Tues 6th Sept 2022 at 8pm (BST)

What would you have done differently last night @Plumbhoy75 ?

Should we have just sat in and defended a 0-0 and hoped for the best? Gone five at the back? Abandon the principles that Ange and the players have been working on for 14 months?

Agreed that we shouldn't be celebrating any sort of defeat, far from it, but you've got to see how far we've come in such a short space of time, but also how far there still is to go if we're going to be successful at Champions League level.

4 of Madrid's players (Benzema, Vinicius Jnr, Courtois & Rudiger) are on the 30 man shortlist for the ballon D'or this year. We're a team very much in progress but will real signs of steady improvement.
You're right. Ange said before the match that he was going to play the normal way rather than change and I can see what he was getting at. If you play a system against every other team and it provides success and then you change it when the best team comes along, how are you supposed to know how well that system really works, especially if you lose anyway.

Last night's game was above the current limits of the players within the system but the players will have had to overload a bit and the more games they play against CL opponents, the more they will have to overload and this should provide an improvement.

Maybe ange will tweak his system a bit as he gets more experience in the champions league-hes certainly signed a couple of more defensive mids this window

What would you have done differently last night @Plumbhoy75 ?

Should we have just sat in and defended a 0-0 and hoped for the best? Gone five at the back? Abandon the principles that Ange and the players have been working on for 14 months?

Agreed that we shouldn't be celebrating any sort of defeat, far from it, but you've got to see how far we've come in such a short space of time, but also how far there still is to go if we're going to be successful at Champions League level.

4 of Madrid's players (Benzema, Vinicius Jnr, Courtois & Rudiger) are on the 30 man shortlist for the ballon D'or this year. We're a team very much in progress but will real signs of steady improvement.
I wouldn't advocate a total park the bus formation-but we have beaten messi,ronaldo,kakas teams with-imo-inferior players in defence than we have now-it's down to players being well organised by their manager I would say-and playing a bit less gung ho

Occasionally our love for, and commitment to, our team, leads to us making comments which, if we'd just taken a breath, we wouldn't have made. We've all done that at some point. As individuals we truly are a mixed bunch. The Noise is, if you like, a microcosm of humanity itself. I myself have been guilty of overreaction after losing a game, the result of which seemed, at the time, to be the most important thing in the history of Timdom.
I hope I've learned to show patience when one, or more, of my fellow supporters show their frustration by momentarily losing control of their thought process when voicing their opinion.
Equally, we would, I think, acknowledge the fact that we can watch the same game and reach different conclusions as to how it panned out. Sometimes what we think of as being outrageous, is, to the person making the comment, actually an accurate assessment of the game we've just watched.
The glue that bonds us, is the burning desire to see our team play well ....and win ! Doesn't always work out that way though. Sometimes the other guys are actually better than we are.
You good folk, my fellow Noisers, are all intelligent people. I love reading your comments and assessment of how things stand with our club, both on and off the field. Quite often, I find it difficult to agree with some of the comments. But you know what ? That's absolutely fine. No way does it mean one of us is a hun !
OK, it's time for me to come out of the cupboard and let you all know...
I'm a hun...always have been, always will...
Oh...no...wait...it's honey...my wife calls me that...apologies for any confusion
Phew !! That was almost embarrassing...
IATP

Ange has said he’s not for changing. He believes he will win more than he loses with his style of football. Let others change to deal with us.
I remember when Ange first came here a few Aussie guys said, sit back and enjoy the ride…there will be a few bumps along the way but the highs far outweigh the lows.
Losing to Real Madrid,a team worth not far off £1b, is no disgrace.
We gave them a good go for a team that cost less than Benzemas left leg.

Ange has said he’s not for changing. He believes he will win more than he loses with his style of football. Let others change to deal with us.
I remember when Ange first came here a few Aussie guys said, sit back and enjoy the ride…there will be a few bumps along the way but the highs far outweigh the lows.
Losing to Real Madrid,a team worth not far off £1b, is no disgrace.
We gave them a good go for a team that cost less than Benzemas left leg.
That CalMac shot goes in, instead of hitting the bar, it's a different game
Maybe gives us more confidence, maybe pisses Real off and they hammer us, who knows
When they can bring on Eden Hazard from their bench, it shows the difference in the squads
Madrid just stepped it up in the second half and their class in coming forward faster, showed
We gave it a go, and got beaten by a better team
We learn, we move on, and we win the league again this season

HH

Last edited:
I hate the whole tartan army "glorious failures" attitude and I know people looking in from outside will look at Celtic fans this morning and think we are doing the same. "Yeez still got beat" will be the hun and media cry. "Battered in europe again" will be the comments from people who never saw the game. But the positives I'm taking from it is that in Ange and the bhoys 1st game together in the champions league, we gave a good account of ourselves. Everything that Ange has done so far at Celtic, he's improved on. His tactics, his team selection, the players he's brought in. Every stage has been better than the last. So it's only right to assume that there will be an improvement in the next champions league match surely?
I can not see this team going out and losing by a cricket score like we have had to witness in the past.
I'll be honest, I'm one of those people who are terrified of Celtic in the champions league. I'm definitely a "the europa league is our level" kind of fan. The embarrassing scorelines over the years have worn me down. But after last night's performance I'm now thinking, bring it on!! We deserve to be here.
I agree with most of that lubo but I feel that it's in everyones interest to point out....PARAGRAPHS!

If I'm getting pelters for my lack of paragraphs ( which you can see I've totally taken on board & to heart , mutter mutter).
I feel it's only fair to spread the paragraph polis joy around.🔄

Moving on, to the next paragraph,
Aye we didnt look out of place last night
Such a pity the ground staff chose the old square posts for that game , couldnt believe my eyes that came back out.

To be sitting here today and feeling a wee bit of the ' if only' syndrome, having played Europe's best side over the last 7 years is quite incredible.

To think that just over a year ago, we didnt get Howe, the whole thing embarrassed the club.
We got Ange who?
Hes brought in 20 players in 3 windows and only 1 or 2 havent hit the ground running.
Cleared out the ' no longer required ' ,
Gave Madrid a genuine fright .

Honestly , I'd have been laughed off the forum had I suggested that this is where we'd be at, after we lost our first 3 away games of last season.

Quite the turnaround, and yes we lost the game but it was a real game, and not one way traffic.
Once they scored ( and it was the type of game that first goal was always going to be crucial in) ,
' Modric of Mordor ' ( belter that one sandman 😂) .
Well , you could see that the pressure had just dissipated into the night sky from him and Madrid.

Suddenly they played with a freedom they didnt have first half.
That's when the wee hobbit and co really laid it out and the stuffing was gone when he wrapped the outside of his foot around the ball for the 2nd.

Great strides have been made and whilst it's still too early for me to say that the CL group stages is our level , after 1 home game, we certainly looked like a CL side.

Leipzig will be hurting more than us today, as will Chelsea.
Plenty of positives to be taken.
Also , to cheer us up more so,
Ajax have just hit 3 in 15 minutes against Old Firm F.C ( and it's only 35 minutes gone).
See what happens when you actually come up against champions HH 🍀

And the Huns will be hurting tomorrow if things keep happening as they are against Ajax. Lucky to be only 3 - 0 down. Should be five or six. Ajax wanting to walk the ball into the net.
Heaven in Amsterdam.

Last edited:
I agree with most of that lubo but I feel that it's in everyones interest to point out....PARAGRAPHS!

If I'm getting pelters for my lack of paragraphs ( which you can see I've totally taken on board & to heart , mutter mutter).
I feel it's only fair to spread the paragraph polis joy around.🔄

Moving on, to the next paragraph,
Aye we didnt look out of place last night
Such a pity the ground staff chose the old square posts for that game , couldnt believe my eyes that came back out.

To be sitting here today and feeling a wee bit of the ' if only' syndrome, having played Europe's best side over the last 7 years is quite incredible.

To think that just over a year ago, we didnt get Howe, the whole thing embarrassed the club.
We got Ange who?
Hes brought in 20 players in 3 windows and only 1 or 2 havent hit the ground running.
Cleared out the ' no longer required ' ,
Gave Madrid a genuine fright .

Honestly , I'd have been laughed off the forum had I suggested that this is where we'd be at, after we lost our first 3 away games of last season.

Quite the turnaround, and yes we lost the game but it was a real game, and not one way traffic.
Once they scored ( and it was the type of game that first goal was always going to be crucial in) ,
' Modric of Mordor ' ( belter that one sandman 😂) .
Well , you could see that the pressure had just dissipated into the night sky from him and Madrid.

Suddenly they played with a freedom they didnt have first half.
That's when the wee hobbit and co really laid it out and the stuffing was gone when he wrapped the outside of his foot around the ball for the 2nd.

Great strides have been made and whilst it's still too early for me to say that the CL group stages is our level , after 1 home game, we certainly looked like a CL side.

Leipzig will be hurting more than us today, as will Chelsea.
Plenty of positives to be taken.
Also , to cheer us up more so,
Ajax have just hit 3 in 15 minutes against Old Firm F.C ( and it's only 35 minutes gone).
See what happens when you actually come up against champions HH 🍀
And that's after they sold Antony to Man U! Here's hoping they don't ease off.

I see Tuchel has just been sacked by Chelsea too. I suspect the sevco hordes will be worried that they will be sniffing about GVB!
That's insane, hes hardly been a failure and has brought chelsea back into contention on all fronts last season though fell short ultimately.

At the same time , I understand that the manager has a top squad, huge budget, so must deliver , yesterday.

RA isnt known for his patience but I felt Chelsea were on the right road.
Of course I say that from afar, plus I dont like Tuchel , not really sure why , comes across as arrogant, though that's not necessarily a bad thing when managing so many prima donna types.

Oh well, send him back to France

Hun. Pumping thread started , all game comments in there mate 👍
Had to tune into bbc radio survival lie when i heard the score.
Mark Hateley and large company of hunnites are saying that they " CANNOT BELIEVE ! Just how poor rangers are"
I'm thinking , whit?
Erm.......last saturday mate?
Remember?
No?
3-0 down at ht?
Still no?
Tom English is embarrassed!
Wow ! Deludamol is strong this time of season.
If anyone wants a wee chuckle , then put the tranny oan , salty tears 😍

That's insane, hes hardly been a failure and has brought chelsea back into contention on all fronts last season though fell short ultimately.

At the same time , I understand that the manager has a top squad, huge budget, so must deliver , yesterday.

RA isnt known for his patience but I felt Chelsea were on the right road.
Of course I say that from afar, plus I dont like Tuchel , not really sure why , comes across as arrogant, though that's not necessarily a bad thing when managing so many prima donna types.

Oh well, send him back to France
Abramovic sold Chelsea. It is the new American owners that have sacked Tuchel. Apparently there was a falling out in the summer when they tried to force Christiano Ronaldo onto him and thry couldn't get their head round why he was refusing to accept him.

Then there was a player revolt from a clique who didn't want him as boss undermining their power!!!

Abramovic sold Chelsea. It is the new American owners that have sacked Tuchel. Apparently there was a falling out in the summer when they tried to force Christiano Ronaldo onto him and thry couldn't get their head round why he was refusing to accept him.

Then there was a player revolt from a clique who didn't want him as boss undermining their power!!!
Ano mate , RA stands for 'Rey American's'
🤥

Back