shove yer poppy up yer a**e? Not for me!

"Proper Hardship" - are you from London ya prick? I am calling you a prick because you are a prick - meet you at Celtic Park and tell you why dismissing the deaths of 35000 Irish people. Even the one's in the IRA. All that's missing is a plastic paddy speech....yes your a prick.
At least if you are gonna call me a prick get YOUR grammar correct you fuckin dickhead Brit lover. Wear your fuckin poppy, stick it up your arse, do what you like with it. You don't need to go to Celtic park, I only live down the road from you, if you actually know where you're from. No problem big man. Ye fuckin tight man arsehole. Am I dismissing the deaths of 35000? Did I say that? You fuckin prick, probably from the waterside, if indeed you know where you're from!

Last edited:
I choose not to honour the poppy.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against the futility and madness of war.

Particularly those wars which are illegal, unethical, and without justification.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against the indefensible loss of life suffered by innocent victims of armed response units.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against a crown and government which sanctioned many of these losses for the want of territory and wealth.

It is a peaceful and silent protest against the institutions of the media who propogate and support the myth with subjective reporting and propoganda.

I agree wholeheartedly that a football stadium is not the environment to voice such opinions; however - there is an accepted day for remembrance and there is plenty of scope on that day for people to honour their dead.

If the footballing world wishes to be supportive in honouring the dead - then don't schedule matches on the day of remembrance.

As WFB has pointed out. The poppy has become a brand, the associations have been tarnished further by it's gaudy representations and media profile.

The image of the poppy should be a symbol of shame to successive governments who chose to sacrifice their young. It should never be worn with the shameful pride that is so evident in parliament and throughout the institutions.

Feel like I’m constantly beating the same drum here, but just so you know there’s an excellent series on the real history of the poppy and it’s symbolism in the last few days over on FWS. Parts one and two here only take it as far as the aftermath of WW1
And

Ifs clear from reading this thread that the poppy causes vast division. If people hate it, if they feel incensed by it, then there are literally hundreds of memorial services they could go to with a banner that denounces what it stands for, if that’s your thing.

At a Celtic game is not the place and anybody who does and drags Celtic into the gutter can go fuck themselves. Have a bit of class and don’t give the press here the headlines they want.

I don’t have a problem with anybidy’s views on it. I might not agree with it, I may, but one thing is clear to me, you making your heartfelt opposition at one of our games is not on.

If you choose to embarrass the club when the eyes of those who hate us are drooling at the prospect rather than growing a pair and going to a service to show your heart wrenching opposition, you are no fucking Celtic fan. Your allegiances lie elsewhere. Keep silent or if you want to shout, go elsewhere and do it. Using the anonymity of a crowd is nothing short of cowardice and tells me you don’t have the balls to do it on your own or with like minded pals.

Don’t give our enemies ammunition to attack our club. If you do you are worse than any enemy we have. Screw the nut.

Its clearly a highly emotive and divisive issue not just within football but within a support. To me its a personal choice and noone elses business. I won't have anyone dictate what I can or can't do and that's a better way to remember what people fought for than any symbolism.

Its clearly a highly emotive and divisive issue not just within football but within a support. To me its a personal choice and noone elses business. I won't have anyone dictate what I can or can't do and that's a better way to remember what people fought for than any symbolism.

I agree it’s a personal thing, but if anybody chooses to voice their personal opinion at our game they are making it a Celtic Support thing, and putting our own views in a context of a Celtic game is not personal.

Those views will be deemed to be the Celtic supports. It’s a personal thing and if anybody feels the need do it where it’s just them, identifiable as them, not hiding in a crowd which makes their personal view be attributed to me or anybody else bar them.

People have a right to disagree with the whole Poppy thing, but, if you want to protest it, do it away from a game, so people can see your conviction does not rely on anonimity or include a whole support. Because that is how it will be reported.

I live in Englandshire. Some of locals, who have no axe to grind, have asked me what this is about as they can't understand it. I put it down to a bunch of young eejits.
When will these mindless feckers realise this reflects badly on the Club and every Celtic supporter and just plays right into the medias hands.

Yes you are right , it is a personal thing. The fact is, this shite has got so out of hand in recent years, it's now rammed down our throats on an annual basis. To me that's sickening. Look at the treatment of James mcclean in England, just because he refuses to wear one. It's absolute bullshit. Wear one if you want, but if you don't want to, then you shouldn't be ostracised for it. I've said it before, this thread was started to stir shite!

Yes you are right , it is a personal thing. The fact is, this shite has got so out of hand in recent years, it's now rammed down our throats on an annual basis. To me that's sickening. Look at the treatment of James mcclean in England, just because he refuses to wear one. It's absolute bullshit. Wear one if you want, but if you don't want to, then you shouldn't be ostracised for it. I've said it before, this thread was started to stir shite!
Quoting Bobby Sands after the game certainly won't help him

At a Celtic game is not the place and anybody who does and drags Celtic into the gutter can go fuck themselves. Have a bit of class and don’t give the press here the headlines they want.

I don’t have a problem with anybidy’s views on it. I might not agree with it, I may, but one thing is clear to me, you making your heartfelt opposition at one of our games is not on.

If you choose to embarrass the club when the eyes of those who hate us are drooling at the prospect rather than growing a pair and going to a service to show your heart wrenching opposition, you are no fucking Celtic fan. Your allegiances lie elsewhere. Keep silent or if you want to shout, go elsewhere and do it. Using the anonymity of a crowd is nothing short of cowardice and tells me you don’t have the balls to do it on your own or with like minded pals.

Don’t give our enemies ammunition to attack our club. If you do you are worse than any enemy we have. Screw the nut.

You appear to contradict your apparent claimed tolerant self! a lot
such respect you show!

I agree it’s a personal thing, but if anybody chooses to voice their personal opinion at our game they are making it a Celtic Support thing, and putting our own views in a context of a Celtic game is not personal.

Those views will be deemed to be the Celtic supports. It’s a personal thing and if anybody feels the need do it where it’s just them, identifiable as them, not hiding in a crowd which makes their personal view be attributed to me or anybody else bar them.

People have a right to disagree with the whole Poppy thing, but, if you want to protest it, do it away from a game, so people can see your conviction does not rely on anonimity or include a whole support. Because that is how it will be reported.

Selective politics ok for you then!

Don't you see you have just validated the argument to protest, as not doing so means the whole Celtic support agrees with your views and accepts the political poppy at Celtic, and they clearly don't do they!

You seem to be more concerned with being accepted politically part of the status quo of the uk, or at least your arguments are based on such concerns, more with what people in England or British politics think of Celtic than anything else!

I'd suggest most people in England could not care less, they might read a headline and forget it within seconds like most normal people! but care about Celtic or any other Scottish club, no they do not!, so relax!
that tiny minority that actively do pretend to be outraged are the usual suspects.

So ,
Write to the SFA and tell them to stop the modern practise of stitching poppy's on to shirts and forcing politics onto people, effectively ordering people to conform or be highlighted, by people like you who think its fine to conform at Celtic but wrong to question.
The British government in the 21st Century decided to politicise the poppy, the SFA bought into that , likely supported by John Reid a the time, so it's their root problem! Write to them if you have a problem as only they have the answer.

Just because you don't agree or don't like, Other people's right to speak out when and where ever they see fit remains a basic moral if not human right.

As someone else here suggested to you, on this or other post you keep on making the same 'Celtic fans need to conform' central point on!
if you feel so strongly about this and are so convinced you are of the majority!
The answer is there for you, just start your own louder singing brigade, it will be easy to silence the few who you feel are an embarrassment.

Last edited:
Selective politics ok for you then!

Don't you see you have just validated the argument to protest, as not doing so means the whole Celtic support agrees with and accepts the political poppy at Celtic, and they clearly don't do they!

You seem to be more concerned with being accepted politically part of the status quo of the uk, or at least your arguments are based on such concerns, more with what people in England or British politics think of Celtic than anything else!

I'd suggest most people in England could not care less, those that actively do are the usual suspects.

Write to the SFA and tell them to stop the modern practise of stitching poppy's on to shirts and forcing politics onto people, effectively ordering people to conform or be highlighted, by people like you who think its fine to conform at Celtic but wrong to question.
The British government in the 21st Century decided to politicise the poppy, the SFA bought into that , likely supported by John Reid a the time, so it's their root problem! Write to them if you have a problem as only they have the answer.

Just because you don't agree or don't like, Other people's right to speak out when and where ever they see fit remains a basic moral if not human right.

You make some valid points, but the fact remains anybody’s personal feelings are their personal feelings. By using your attendance at a Celtic game to expouse your personal feelings makes it a situation Celtic get abuse for.

Why not take your personal right to express your opposition to a memorial service near you so that people will know how you feel instead of standing in a crowd where no one can see you?

That at least would show you had courage and would stand against what you believed in a visible way the confirmed it was your view and your view alone. And that if any flak came as a result of that, you were prepared to take that flak as an individual rather than using s football team, and the anonymity of a crowd to express whatever it is you feel compelled to get out there?

I would respect that. That takes balls, that takes courage to fly in the face of the majority and shows you will not be cowed.

As for the SFA? That shower of bastards have set a trap for Celtic, my plea, is we don’t give them the result they dearly want.

If you want to protest, have the balls to take personal responsibility for your stand,

You make some valid points, but the fact remains anybody’s personal feelings are their personal feelings. By using your attendance at a Celtic game to expouse your personal feelings makes it a situation Celtic get abuse for.

Why not take your personal right to express your opposition to a memorial service near you so that people will know how you feel instead of standing in a crowd where no one can see you?

That at least would show you had courage and would stand against what you believed in a visible way the confirmed it was your view and your view alone. And that if any flak came as a result of that, you were prepared to take that flak as an individual rather than using s football team, and the anonymity of a crowd to express whatever it is you feel compelled to get out there?

I would respect that. That takes balls, that takes courage to fly in the face of the majority and shows you will not be cowed.

As for the SFA? That shower of bastards have set a trap for Celtic, my plea, is we don’t give them the result they dearly want.

If you want to protest, have the balls to take personal responsibility for your stand,

Leaving aside the credible argument that the red poppy appears to be a growing concern and issue raised all over Britain, by people from all walks of life who consider that the poppy has been politicized, made represent more than dignified remembrance, more a 21st Century political perversion, and that's the real problem, not credibly just some vocal blunt Celtic fans.
Some use satire to make essentially the same point

I called my kids Somme, Trench and Mustard Gas so I'll never forget the war dead. What did you do?

The reality is you can bang away all day and night making the same point over and over.
Just because you don't agree or don't like something, other people's right to speak out when and where ever they see fit remains a basic moral if not human right.

I would not personally sing along with many a song, but neither would I even consider siding with anyone that demands conformity essentially because of what others (anonymous) might think of us.

Keeping in mind you imply you are the moral majority, represent the real Celtic fan.
That you seem to imagine you are responsible for what all Celtic fans do!
Be serious, you are no more Celtic than anyone else here, maybe it is people like you by demanding conformity, help make way too much of, make headlines from what a implied few might sing or do.

And if that point is incorrect, and the singers are more than just a few, then there is a much larger contingent for you to address and logically have little chance of persuading by way of insistent forum posts here or anywhere.

If you are correct that this is an embarrassing small minority then, as someone else here suggested to you, you should start your own singing brigade, it will be easy to silence the few who you feel are an embarrassment.

Or write to the people who can effect change, The SFA for obvious example.

Last edited:
Such an evocative issue, the poppy.

'In Flanders fields the poppies blow. Between the crosses...etc"

There's a book series on Amazon called 'Originals' which mentions Celtic being the team of a young soldier off to the First World War with his pals battalion. I read the four book series; great stuff/sad as hell.

BUT that poppy poem, by Canadian Mcrae, a scene dramatised in the books - 99% of poppy nazis wouldn't have a clue why the poppy stands for remembrance. He was gazing out over war-torn land, the poppy the only flower to grow in the churned soil of a demolished landscape.

Ordinary men died thinking they were fighting for freedom, when all they were doing was dying at the whim of aristocracy and ruling classes of two industrialised nations; it was a cull.

So now, 100 years later it's been hijacked by little Englanders as a fascistic identity tag.

And with that identity comes a barrowload of historical, empirical war crimes.

I feel greatly for the lost and sacrificed.

I feel for the victims of Empire building; the atrocities of colonialism.

BUT the greater scope does not concern Celtic.

The Green Brigade are smart - their Wallace/Sands banners a stroke of genius.

However... right now, the 'stick yer poppy up yer arse' is a suckers' song - plays straight into the hands of the poppy Nazis; Gives the Huns their whatboutery right on a plate, damages Celtic's identity on a broader scale with the markets and sponsors.

Be SMARTER. Deliver the message GB style - I'm thinking a huge GREEN poppy. A banner, with ONLY specific dates on it that we know took a broad toll on those with Celtic attachment: WW1, WW2" and '1916' to stir the rebel pot.

Give them something to THINK about instead of the dire neddish 'up yer arse' chant.

You saw the reaction to the Wallace/Sands banner - chilled the authorities to the bone; difficult for them to get their minds around CULTURED, reasoned protest with a contentious message.

Just my tuppence worth.

For the record, I don't wear a poppy just to see if I can hook a poppy Nazi in for a short, sharp debate; that's how sad a state of affairs they've diluted its meaning to.

Get your sentiment mate but do you go over to Dublin and lay a wreath for the 35,000 irish men that died in that war. Where north and south fought side by side in the trenches?
Two members from Dublin died in ww2 always remember them poppy was sold for soldiers who died in these two wars respect this but won't buy or wear a poppy as it now covers all wars and can't forgive them for 800 yrs of oppression in Ireland and troubles in NI but always respect ur opinion

So there we have it. You have basically said that voicing a personal opinion at a Celtic game is more important than Celtic when the club has asked repeatedly that we don’t do this.

I am giving a personal view. I am asking that the club isn’t damaged. And I am questioning why if people feel so strongly about their personal beliefs, they don’t exercise that right in a way they, and not Celtic take ownership of it. I will say this one more time, I don’t gave a problem with peoples opposition. My problem is how they choose to show it. That’s it.

Oh and as you mentioned the SFA again. Why don’t the people who have a problem with it send them a letter? Wouldn’t that be more apt?

Last edited:
Quoting Bobby Sands after the game certainly won't help him
What has that to do with anything? If he quoted that fat fucker Churchill, do you think that would help or hinder his case? Why shouldn't he quote Bobby sands? Bobby sands was and is a hero to a lot of people in Ireland and world wide. Pc brigade is again in overdrive. Don't quote an Irish hero in case you might offend the poor English. Give me a break, this argument has now got completely out of hand!

What has that to do with anything? If he quoted that fat fucker Churchill, do you think that would help or hinder his case? Why shouldn't he quote Bobby sands? Bobby sands was and is a hero to a lot of people in Ireland and world wide. Pc brigade is again in overdrive. Don't quote an Irish hero in case you might offend the poor English. Give me a break, this argument has now got completely out of hand!
Think its you thats got out of hand

Bobby Sands was an elected representative who genuinely made the ultimate sacrifice for the betterment of others.

His was a conscious and moral choice to highlight the issue of fundamental human rights and the protected characteristics contained within.

The right to life is one of these protected characteristics, yet successive governments chose to forfeit this privilige (by proxy), by choosing to engage in warfare.......many of which have since been recognised as illegal and hostile acts against sovereign territories.

The poppy is a bastardised attempt to negate these acts and to minimise each governments responsibility in the engagement of war.

The poppy is a symbol of doomed youth and of the slaughter.

It does not recognise the INNOCENT civilians who fell victim to the military and therefore - it has no place on my breast

Members online

Latest posts

Back