The Battle of Govan

"An Irish Unity March by Republicans has gone ahead despite violent protests"... how the Daily Record framed the loyalist attempts to stop the march and how many other Unionist sympathetic press in Scotland framed it. Catholics in Scotland put up with Orange Order marches every year - if we presented violence in protest it would be reported as"Republican Violence".... The James Connelly band is provoking trouble according to some reports but the same Press do not use the same theme of 'provocation' for Orange marchers attacking a Catholic priest or playing Sectarian tunes. Seeking "Unity is Ireland" is far more disturbing for our Sottish sectarian press than anti-Catholic violence and racist/sectarian songs about a large section of our community being told to go home. Has anyone witnessed any of the 'The Rangers' new signings being scrutinised in the same way the Celtic players have been? Incidentally I agree with Chris Sutton they will have the edge tomorrow as our Board has been a shambles - lets not kid ourselves. However, Chris should not be blind either to the collective pressure the Scottish press are heaping on all our signings. Our day will come at the conclusion of this league and I remain confident that we will achieve 9-in a row despite the Board.

Stayed in elderpark st shammy and hung about linthoose , govan an drumoyne occasionally. Went to st gerards and met a few guys fae the winey. Ended up going to the games on the Brighton bus at the Albion way. Mental bus but great times pal.
I came from Luath St so not very far from you and went to St Anthony's but not St Gerard's. Had relations in the winey and Teucherhill. Mind you, I had relations all over Govan and back then everyone knew everyone.

"An Irish Unity March by Republicans has gone ahead despite violent protests"... how the Daily Record framed the loyalist attempts to stop the march and how many other Unionist sympathetic press in Scotland framed it. Catholics in Scotland put up with Orange Order marches every year - if we presented violence in protest it would be reported as"Republican Violence".... The James Connelly band is provoking trouble according to some reports but the same Press do not use the same theme of 'provocation' for Orange marchers attacking a Catholic priest or playing Sectarian tunes. Seeking "Unity is Ireland" is far more disturbing for our Sottish sectarian press than anti-Catholic violence and racist/sectarian songs about a large section of our community being told to go home. Has anyone witnessed any of the 'The Rangers' new signings being scrutinised in the same way the Celtic players have been? Incidentally I agree with Chris Sutton they will have the edge tomorrow as our Board has been a shambles - lets not kid ourselves. However, Chris should not be blind either to the collective pressure the Scottish press are heaping on all our signings. Our day will come at the conclusion of this league and I remain confident that we will achieve 9-in a row despite the Board.
Hail Hail Goldfinch!

Glasgow is one of my favourite places throughout the world. I admire the contrasting architecture and the characters that always seem to be omnipresent. I love the sense of humour and the forthright opinions and I like the diversity and mixture of cultures that are now more evident.

I couldn't live there if you paid me to though. Not with that dark toxic cloud of hun hatred that's always ever present.

Anytime I use public transport, there always seems to be at least one obnoxious hun who can't seem to help themselves and I think that that's identifiable in pubs, restaurants and cafes too.

Ironically, I don't think Glaswegian huns are the worst. Like Glaswegian Celtic fans, they mostly have to get along with each other at work and in other environments. It's the zealots from the enclaves that come and contaminate your streets in marching season, match days and these organised dirty protests that are the most intolerable.

Glasgow might be the battlefield, but these are the bus, train and car-hoppers that feel they have to prove their hun credentials by being ultra-venomous.

I know this because some of our lads who support Celtic that aren't Glaswegian usually become super-provos on the bus through to games, even though some of them are about as Irish as morris dancers?

There's been something in the air these last few years. The thunderheads and dunderheads are starting to gather now and I think we were/are all aware that a shitstorm was coming in this next season or two.

Another few hardy souls are going to the bearpit tomorrow. I hope that your police are fully aware of the threat that that angry despicable mob pose to them all. I fear that Lubo is correct and that the level of violence and animosity is going to reach new levels of depravity.
SP you are correct . Glaswegians have their share of bigots, no doubt, but in my experience people from outlying districts like larkhall, Lanarkshire, shotts etc tend to be far more bitter.
I think that there are very few Catholics in these places skews their view of the world. I was once introduced into a company of about eight or nine people in shotts by my brother in law Wull. He said " this is Bill, Will, wullie, willie, Billy , big Billy, another Billy and Wull's son ,wee Biily. And that guy in the corner is George
I said " where the fuck is Liam ? " . Naebody laughed

The bhoys on the park and the best fans in the world need to be brave and courageous tomorrow. The SMSM are all tipping sevco so let's show them up for the twats they are by getting the job done.
The build up is reminiscent of the semi final a couple of years ago when their team publicly celebrated being drawn against the treble holders. Their players, management, supporters, media pals and EBT benefitting ex-players filled the media with their ill-founded boasts about how they would beat us.

Our players were strong that day and destroyed them. It will be harder at the Crumbledome tomorrow but lets hope for a similar performance and outcome! MTH

I haven't seen this hatred since the 70's/80's, I would urge our fans to be very careful when visiting the theatre of hate on Sunday.
Lubo and SP are spot on, they will kill a Celtic man in the next year or two, their kulcher is on its knees, their Orange order is skint and dying, in the next few years we will possibly see an independent Scotland and the reunification of Eire, (thanks Boris) they sense it, adding to the mix the hoops making history is another thing to get their blood boiling, and we have all the ingredients for a perfect storm of bigotry.
When they let their club die and the zombies entered the lower leagues, the atmosphere was much better at Scottish football grounds, not perfect, but definitely better without the fascist klan, I want the zombie club to die asap, then we can carry on with our lives in safety.
Sadly Benignus, I agree with you 100%..It will be swept under the carpet though. Do you remember years ago when the bigot thug Jason Campbell, the animal who cut a young Celtic fans throat, declared that he was a political prisoner and demanded a transfer to the H blocks ? Donald Dewar rubber stamped his request but there was a political backlash and he shat his breeks and had to rescind his original decision.
That is Scotland

Members online

Latest posts

Back