The new manager will be...

Our new boss will be our current boss. There are really no other options. The current dynamic of media-bookie speculation can be split into two categories: the unrealistic and the unworthy. Of the unrealistic, you have managers who are never going to come to Scottish football (they'd manage Celtic in a heartbeat if not for the league we play in): Benitez, Mourinho and AVB. Benitez, even if he walks away from Newcastle, will be able to get a higher paid, vastly higher budgeted job in a more competitive league. Aside from the absurd idea of Jose Mourinho at The Tony Macaroni Arena on a wet, cold Wednesday night in November, this is a manager who moaned about a transfer budget of £362 million over two years at Manchester United. AVB might be a good coach, but he's also a mercenary: he was on £11 million per year in China. We managed to get a coach of Rodgers' calibre due to a unique set of circumstances, namely him being, regardless of his mercenary nature, a Celtic fan who was looking to use the club to reenter management in a more competitive league, which are not going to occur again with a coach of that calibre or, in the case of Benitez-Mourinho-AVB, a much higher calibre.

The unworthy are the likes of David Moyes, Michael O'Neill, Jack Ross, Slaven Bilic - there is not one iota of evidence to suggest that these coaches are better than Neil Lennon and, in all three of those cases in my humble opinion, there's some evidence to suggest they're worse options. I'd be all for another 'blockbuster' manager, but we really don't have that option.

Last edited:
Can't see Celtic paying out the dosh for a really big-named manager either, one who would also expect to spend big in the transfer market.

I think their options are Lenny and Moyes but apparently, according to J.J., the announcement won't be made on Monday after all. The amount of speculation going on is making me dizzy. o_Oo_Oo_O

Can't see Celtic paying out the dosh for a really big-named manager either, one who would also expect to spend big in the transfer market.

I think their options are Lenny and Moyes but apparently, according to J.J., the announcement won't be made on Monday after all. The amount of speculation going on is making me dizzy. o_Oo_Oo_O
JJ is full a shite. I wouldn't believe one word from a lad who is constantly beggin for dough. I still think it's lennons job. If it wasn't why would he be scouting players for next season? I think the whole David moyes thing is a classic case of "here's who you could have had" when they eventually unveil Lennon.

I don't think there will be a ticker tape parade but if it is then we still have to get behind him or anyone who gets the position. It's going to divide us all if we allow it to.

Spot on shammy, we defo have to get behind whoever gets the job, most of the realistic candidates split opinion, the moonbeams like Rafa would be welcomed with open arms but the odds of them coming are somewhere between slim and none.
With the most important league campaigns in the modern era ahead of us in the 2 years, you would hope it is a name that the support would get behind as one.

I don't think there will be a ticker tape parade but if it is then we still have to get behind him or anyone who gets the position. It's going to divide us all if we allow it to.

I'll obviously always support Celtic, and I guess I'd have no other option than to give Moyes the benefit of the doubt, but for those who like to claim Lenny is a 'dinosaur' and all that pish, Moyes must belong to the Permian. I'll admit that when our form dropped after Rodgers' abandonment I slightly jumped on the 'Anyone but Lenny' bandwagon (not in the disrespectful hunnish manner of some purported Celtic fans in the blogosphere), but I think it's obvious now that the form of the team in this period is beyond his control and he must be given the opportunity for a fresh start and a chance to impose his own ideas and style onto, as well as inject new talent into, a physically and psychologically exhausted squad.

Members online

Latest posts

Back