The new manager will be...

Appreciate you explaining your reasoning mate but it was just a wee joke ;)(y)

Will address your points though since you took the time to make them.

I'm not jumping on the Benitez Bus here (as I think it's pie in the sky) but Gerrard is a dullard who maybe has a bit of an axe to grind where Benitez is concerned so I wouldn't put too much stock in what that gimp has to say about the man.

Even if Benitez was a little distant it's not necessarily a bad thing. MON was a stand-offish type manager, he mostly left the day to day coaching to John Robertson and Steve Walford, that distance gave MON a kind of gravitas with the players which resulted in them being a bit in awe of him. They responded to his style with a mixture of respect, fear and wanting to please 'The Boss' and it worked out well for Celtic given his record. Also look at BR, he was Mr Hands-on but turned out to be a treacherous c*nt!

As for the sense of humour thing, well while I'm not saying he doesn't have one but a good sense of humour isn't necessarily something I'd associate with Lenny 'the manager' I don't doubt Lenny 'the person' may be a good laugh but it's not really his style as a manager. Not entirely a bad thing though as being all jokey and chummy with the players could lead to a blurring of the lines between boss and player and lead to a breakdown in the necessary respect being shown.

All in all I just want the best possible manager we can get, I don't agree with your good self and others that Lenny is that man but that's just my personal take on it. What I will say though is if they do go with Lenny then the board will need a massive change in attitude towards their transfer strategy, if they think they can bring in Lenny and just carry on with the 'project' type signings and not spending significant money then they're seriously deluding themselves in what's required and putting the 9 & 10 at serious risk.

HH mate (y)
I genuinely don't think 50 million even gets you 2 Celtic quality finished articles who are champions league knock out quality. I think we have been put into sub market by the cartel that runs football.

Depends what you mean by not being projects though.

But a Neil Lennon quality player from a Leicester City would cost around 25 million these days and instantly the max we would sell him for imo would be 20 million even if we made him better. Simply because we are trapped in a the second tier of the market.

That jump, even for likes of Ajax to top tier instantly adds the top tier market pressures.

Its pat of the Ponzi style market bubble that's being manipulated by tax dodging billionaires. Football is a drug and if you can corner the market you dictate the prices and all the brokers of the mega bucks deals who are hand picked get massive bank accounts at the expeneseof ordinary punters.

While we are top dogs in the lower market we have massive added value in the scam if we buy good projects from unknown teams then brand them with Celtic brand and add the massive value t the upper market.

Might not be the best added value on the pitch but off the pitch it is almost a arbitrage system. So as long as they add better value than second best team in our market and keep the operation cost proportions strong as possible then we have long term stability and short term massive advantage.

Pushing boat out to take excessive risks that jeopardise the long term growth for very short term gains might give you a nice high for couple seasons but it will allow the pack to catch yo as you hemourage cash and then need to downsize.

I would love a Martin oneil style manager with that kind of spending. But contrary to popular believe that board made error in not keeping up that spending, the board had to cut back to fit operations or faced certain death moonbeam style.

Celtic might have a massive brand but it has been exiled by Sky tv and the Fifa Eufa conmen. The value added of the celtic brand is excluded from the biggest market subsidisations.

The fully capable top tier players are in market that is beyond our spending.

50 million here is massive.

When talking proper recognised professional Celtic class players 50 million might get 2 or 3 fully first team ready Paul mcstay type players but then comes the wages. And sometimes these guys are massive wages.

Benitez couldn't make celtic better with 50 million. 50 million to him buys maybe 1 player in Benitez eyes. And he aint the type to scour lower leagues for quality. And dare I say MON was off the minute he was told to start adding value of the park.

He couldn't do it. Even getting to euro final and wages much closer to celtic strength. Mon couldn't add value off the pitch.

HH

Last edited:
Excellent post. Logical and well thought out.
Only one problem though, there is one name missing. Dermot Desmond. No one will be appointed without this man's blessing.
My gut instinct is that Mr Desmond will pull a rabbit out of his hat ...... And the new manager will beeeeeeee......... None of the above.

Apologies for the length of this post in advance. I started and then got carried away. Much respect and appreciation to anyone that ploughs on to the end!

With some of the speculation reaching almost Clinton Baptiste levels of clairvoyance (impeccable sources claiming that “the manager will be revealed on Monday” and not denying that “the circulated list of candidates may have been interviewed” are the equivalent of Sally Buxton asking if the name “Mason” rings a bell with anyone in a room full of Scottish referees) I wanted to explore the probabilities of what we (sort of) know to try and work out what is most likely to happen. This is all pure conjecture and I’d be happy to be corrected by anyone with an informed position. Up to two weeks ago I would have sworn that it would have been Lennon but I think the board will be aware of the build-up of opinion against this now and will be much more wary.

Budget: based on previous seasons, particularly those where a new manager is appointed I would guess that the budget for player additions will be in the region of £10m to £15m plus whatever can be generated from sales. The football operations budget is unlikely to extend beyond £2.5m per annum for the salary of a new manager and I doubt we’d pay more than £1m to £2m in compensation to secure a manager already in a post.

That probably rules out Mourinho, Villas Boas, Howe and Benitez. All of these “big names” will have multiple job offers and don’t need to take a post at Celtic on reduced wages and a restricted player transfer budget to prove anything. I appreciate that Brendan Rodgers would have been one of these names three years ago, but it’s difficult to say whether he arrived because of a connection to the club or because he saw it as an easy rehabilitation back to the EPL. I doubt any of the current crop would see it this way now, possibly Villas Boas at a pinch if he is harbouring a desire to return to the EPL.

The remaining pool of candidates could, for argument’s sake, be divided into the following three categories:

• Rising Stars: managers in roles with small to medium league sides who have achieved moderate success playing a relatively attractive style of football. Within this category I’d put Preudhomme, Cocu and van dem Brom.

• Rejects: former big names who have crashed and burned too badly to be allowed an easy route back to an elite club. This category would include Moyes, Garcia, Pulis, Pardew, Bilic and Martin O’Neill (sorry Martin, you are still a legend, nevertheless).

• Reconnects: managers on manageable wages that have a connection to the club, however tenuous, including Lennon, Michael O’Neill, Ross and Clarke.

In order to try and whittle down the larger pool, I’ve tried to guess the factors that might influence the decision making process of Celtic’s plc board.

Self-Preservation: I think it’s unlikely that anyone at Celtic wants to see the football operation fail simply to achieve one season’s worth of bonuses. Whilst Peter Lawwell could undoubtedly walk into a number of other highly paid senior corporate roles, his position at Celtic is one of almost unique privilege and glamour in Scotland and it would be surprising if he wanted to risk losing it. To extrapolate, if he takes what is seen as a cheap (Lennon or Clarke, before he became Scotland manager) or leftfield (Ronnie Deila) option and ended up losing the league next season, the effect on season ticket sales could be absolutely disastrous, with no 10 in a row to go for and a prevailing sense of negativity about the direction of the club. Given his general lack of popularity, there would certainly be a question over whether he could survive such a fallout. So I would expect that he is under severe personal pressure to get it right. As a result, I don’t think we’ll see anything other than a known quantity, which can only mean Lennon, Ross, Michael O’Neill, or one of the Rejects getting the position, unless there is a realistic suggestion for a Rising Star that I am unaware of at present - those already connected (by the bookies and bloggers) have very recent failures on their hands, otherwise they’d be on their way to La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A or the EPL.

Style: by appointing first Deila and then Rodgers it would seem that the general direction of travel that the Celtic plc board is in favour of is a high pressing (and therefore high fitness) and expansive passing game. Assuming that they don’t want to regress to practical, physical football (which would of course require a number of player sales and additions to balance our existing squad of lightweights) we need a manager who would play to that style. On the face of it, that would rule out Moyes, Pulis, Pardew (sort of), Martin O’Neill and, if we’re honest, Lennon.

That leaves Garcia and Bilic, who would both still represent a risk, Jack Ross, who’s probably going to require significant compensation to prise away from Sunderland, and… Michael O’Neill. He stated his commitment to Northern Ireland’s international team just a few days ago, so who better to continue Brendan Rodgers’ legacy of deceit and become the next full time manager of the world’s greatest football club.

The next Celtic manager will be Michael O’Neill. The spirits told me so.
This guys got the answers

Excellent post. Logical and well thought out.
Only one problem though, there is one name missing. Dermot Desmond. No one will be appointed without this man's blessing.
My gut instinct is that Mr Desmond will pull a rabbit out of his hat ...... And the new manager will beeeeeeee......... None of the above.
Thought ye were gonnae "spill the beans" wi an "exclusive" there,Weedoc!!!!

I genuinely don't think 50 million even gets you 2 Celtic quality finished articles who are champions league knock out quality. I think we have been put into sub market by the cartel that runs football.

Depends what you mean by not being projects though.

But a Neil Lennon quality player from a Leicester City would cost around 25 million these days and instantly the max we would sell him for imo would be 20 million even if we made him better. Simply because we are trapped in a the second tier of the market.

That jump, even for likes of Ajax to top tier instantly adds the top tier market pressures.

Its pat of the Ponzi style market bubble that's being manipulated by tax dodging billionaires. Football is a drug and if you can corner the market you dictate the prices and all the brokers of the mega bucks deals who are hand picked get massive bank accounts at the expeneseof ordinary punters.

While we are top dogs in the lower market we have massive added value in the scam if we buy good projects from unknown teams then brand them with Celtic brand and add the massive value t the upper market.

Might not be the best added value on the pitch but off the pitch it is almost a arbitrage system. So as long as they add better value than second best team in our market and keep the operation cost proportions strong as possible then we have long term stability and short term massive advantage.

Pushing boat out to take excessive risks that jeopardise the long term growth for very short term gains might give you a nice high for couple seasons but it will allow the pack to catch yo as you hemourage cash and then need to downsize.

I would love a Martin oneil style manager with that kind of spending. But contrary to popular believe that board made error in not keeping up that spending, the board had to cut back to fit operations or faced certain death moonbeam style.

Celtic might have a massive brand but it has been exiled by Sky tv and the Fifa Eufa conmen. The value added of the celtic brand is excluded from the biggest market subsidisations.

The fully capable top tier players are in market that is beyond our spending.

50 million here is massive.

When talking proper recognised professional Celtic class players 50 million might get 2 or 3 fully first team ready Paul mcstay type players but then comes the wages. And sometimes these guys are massive wages.

Benitez couldn't make celtic better with 50 million. 50 million to him buys maybe 1 player in Benitez eyes. And he aint the type to scour lower leagues for quality. And dare I say MON was off the minute he was told to start adding value of the park.

He couldn't do it. Even getting to euro final and wages much closer to celtic strength. Mon couldn't add value off the pitch.

HH

With respect TET I'm not one of these fans who think, expect or even want us to be spending sums of £50m on players, it's a ridiculous and deluded expectation but it is equally ridiculous to make out that significant improvements can't be made without spending those type of sums. Not every decent first team ready player carries an EPL price tag, there are plenty of solid experienced pros plying their trade throughout Europe who could come in and improve us without breaking the bank.

I'm sorry mate but it's too easy to bat away alternative views on this subject when the debate is being framed in an 'EPL' style spending scenario, that's not what I'm endorsing here and I think this constant pointing to EPL transfer fees to justify our board's aversion to decent levels of investment in first team ready players is a strawman argument that gets invoked every time this subject arises.

You're 100% correct to state that throwing £50m at the transfer budget isn't sustainable, it would be madness, but the over-reliance on project type signings to bring success year in year out without balancing it with experienced first team signings isn't sustainable either. What we'll end up with when the likes of Broony, Lustig etc. depart is a young mostly inexperienced side without the experience and know how to sustain the levels of consistency needed to win titles, cups or compete in European competition and remember even those 'projects' who do shine have already been earmarked to be sold off as that is what underpins the whole strategy so where will that leave us over the long term?

You also point out that the operating costs have skyrocketed but a fair chunk of those costs are down to the transfer fees and wages of those many 'project' signings who have failed to make the grade which in turn has left us with a bloated squad filled with players not contributing but who are draining precious resources. That's not sustainable either.

There is a middle ground, there are ways to improve without spending ridiculous sums and completely overhauling the whole strategy. I can't speak for anybody else but I'm not looking for us to spend colossal sums or tear it all down and start again all I'm looking for is for the board to be a bit more flexible and pragmatic in their strategy and recognise that they've got to strike a balance between potential and experience.

Can I just add that I only mentioned MON in relation to his management style maybe being similar to that of Benitez and not in relation to the budget he had to work with when he was Celtic manager.

HH TET (y)

Apologies for the length of this post in advance. I started and then got carried away. Much respect and appreciation to anyone that ploughs on to the end!

With some of the speculation reaching almost Clinton Baptiste levels of clairvoyance (impeccable sources claiming that “the manager will be revealed on Monday” and not denying that “the circulated list of candidates may have been interviewed” are the equivalent of Sally Buxton asking if the name “Mason” rings a bell with anyone in a room full of Scottish referees) I wanted to explore the probabilities of what we (sort of) know to try and work out what is most likely to happen. This is all pure conjecture and I’d be happy to be corrected by anyone with an informed position. Up to two weeks ago I would have sworn that it would have been Lennon but I think the board will be aware of the build-up of opinion against this now and will be much more wary.

Budget: based on previous seasons, particularly those where a new manager is appointed I would guess that the budget for player additions will be in the region of £10m to £15m plus whatever can be generated from sales. The football operations budget is unlikely to extend beyond £2.5m per annum for the salary of a new manager and I doubt we’d pay more than £1m to £2m in compensation to secure a manager already in a post.

That probably rules out Mourinho, Villas Boas, Howe and Benitez. All of these “big names” will have multiple job offers and don’t need to take a post at Celtic on reduced wages and a restricted player transfer budget to prove anything. I appreciate that Brendan Rodgers would have been one of these names three years ago, but it’s difficult to say whether he arrived because of a connection to the club or because he saw it as an easy rehabilitation back to the EPL. I doubt any of the current crop would see it this way now, possibly Villas Boas at a pinch if he is harbouring a desire to return to the EPL.

The remaining pool of candidates could, for argument’s sake, be divided into the following three categories:

• Rising Stars: managers in roles with small to medium league sides who have achieved moderate success playing a relatively attractive style of football. Within this category I’d put Preudhomme, Cocu and van dem Brom.

• Rejects: former big names who have crashed and burned too badly to be allowed an easy route back to an elite club. This category would include Moyes, Garcia, Pulis, Pardew, Bilic and Martin O’Neill (sorry Martin, you are still a legend, nevertheless).

• Reconnects: managers on manageable wages that have a connection to the club, however tenuous, including Lennon, Michael O’Neill, Ross and Clarke.

In order to try and whittle down the larger pool, I’ve tried to guess the factors that might influence the decision making process of Celtic’s plc board.

Self-Preservation: I think it’s unlikely that anyone at Celtic wants to see the football operation fail simply to achieve one season’s worth of bonuses. Whilst Peter Lawwell could undoubtedly walk into a number of other highly paid senior corporate roles, his position at Celtic is one of almost unique privilege and glamour in Scotland and it would be surprising if he wanted to risk losing it. To extrapolate, if he takes what is seen as a cheap (Lennon or Clarke, before he became Scotland manager) or leftfield (Ronnie Deila) option and ended up losing the league next season, the effect on season ticket sales could be absolutely disastrous, with no 10 in a row to go for and a prevailing sense of negativity about the direction of the club. Given his general lack of popularity, there would certainly be a question over whether he could survive such a fallout. So I would expect that he is under severe personal pressure to get it right. As a result, I don’t think we’ll see anything other than a known quantity, which can only mean Lennon, Ross, Michael O’Neill, or one of the Rejects getting the position, unless there is a realistic suggestion for a Rising Star that I am unaware of at present - those already connected (by the bookies and bloggers) have very recent failures on their hands, otherwise they’d be on their way to La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A or the EPL.

Style: by appointing first Deila and then Rodgers it would seem that the general direction of travel that the Celtic plc board is in favour of is a high pressing (and therefore high fitness) and expansive passing game. Assuming that they don’t want to regress to practical, physical football (which would of course require a number of player sales and additions to balance our existing squad of lightweights) we need a manager who would play to that style. On the face of it, that would rule out Moyes, Pulis, Pardew (sort of), Martin O’Neill and, if we’re honest, Lennon.

That leaves Garcia and Bilic, who would both still represent a risk, Jack Ross, who’s probably going to require significant compensation to prise away from Sunderland, and… Michael O’Neill. He stated his commitment to Northern Ireland’s international team just a few days ago, so who better to continue Brendan Rodgers’ legacy of deceit and become the next full time manager of the world’s greatest football club.

The next Celtic manager will be Michael O’Neill. The spirits told me so.
Well personally I hope you are wrong in your stargazing. Only Desmond and Lawwell know and youll be pleased to know.... You will be informed!

great debate bhoys and in good spirit, hat tip TET and Andy,we know the operational costs are a concern,none of us think we'll be spending £50 mill plus epl wages on players,yes the squad need strengthening and dead wood (apologies to those players)have to be moved on to cut the wage bill and free up funds,but are we in "crisis" as smsm would have us believe.... goalkeepers, maybe a back up
full backs,the american bhoyswill be available next season,they're getting great reviews by the way,
maybe an experienced centre back and possibly Benkovic back on loan,
midfield,maybe an experienced holding midfielder,maybe another no. 10 type,
winger's no problem
strikers we a maybe if griff comes back firing
Bayo, bad luck with an an injury while on international duty,
Eddy deadly and still improving,but not a lone striker,so maybe another striker,so by my reckoning, 3 possibly 4 signings and we're good to go
so maybe a CB, HM,AM,and maybe a striker, £15 to £20 mill surely we can get decent quality for that and added value down the road, HH Andy and TET!

I'm sorry mate but it's too easy to bat away alternative views on this subject when the debate is being framed in an 'EPL' style spending scenario, that's not what I'm endorsing here and I think this constant pointing to EPL transfer fees to justify our board's aversion to decent levels of investment in first team ready players is a strawman argument that gets invoked every time this subject arises.

Andy its not a straw man argument., its reality.

You talk about bringing in quality pros from around Europe. That can be done but can you do it without paying over the odds, since if Celtic are interested you can bet your dollar championships clubs and maybe premiership clubs will be lurking to gazump the bid. If he his a finished article then he should be on the radar already, which suggest he is high risk since all the quality human capital is already at the subsidised leagues. Therefore you need to either be taking on projects or buying up guys who are already established with reputation and hence probably already on hefty wage, maybe even already on some foreign version of EBTs hidden by that economies tax/legal system.

EBts are now illegal here, butter they illegal say in Holland or Belgium or France. I would hope so but I Have absolutely no idea. And if Ajax can afford players who can almost reach champions league final I suspect they must be doing a similar dodge to the moonbeam economics of yesteryear. Who knows for sure.

But lets say we pick up a Barasic from Croatia, international looks pretty damn good at Osijek comes here, turns out he doesn't perform as well here. Was he a first team ready player or project. So if top team in Croatia best players aren't upgrade on our first team which teams have upgrade players at bargain prices that will make our team better.

How much would Tierney cost us if he played for Groningen? Or Levski Sofia. Would the dutch or Bulgarian equivalent of Tierney play well in Scotland. Would he get homesick? Its not a straw man argument.

Its the reality. So having manager who understand that market is essential to get an edge. Big name premier league managers don't do lower league risks very often. They want premier league ready players. Celtic make players ready for premier league under the concocted system. We are premier league feeder. To compete with premier league teams we need to buy players from lesser markets and add value to them or pick up high risk players, injury prone, or can't get game elsewhere, and really those high risks players are high risk for a reason. maybe they lose motivation after they settle or maybe they can't settle. Take Sinclair as example. Couldn't get game very often ENGLAND. But had performed well in spurts. Came here looked dynamite, but seems to have been found out. Was worth the initial outlay, but unless he gets back to higher standard he is a wage that aint returning value.

You're 100% correct to state that throwing £50m at the transfer budget isn't sustainable, it would be madness, but the over-reliance on project type signings to bring success year in year out without balancing it with experienced first team signings isn't sustainable either. What we'll end up with when the likes of Broony, Lustig etc. depart is a young mostly inexperienced side without the experience and know how to sustain the levels of consistency needed to win titles, cups or compete in European competition and remember even those 'projects' who do shine have already been earmarked to be sold off as that is what underpins the whole strategy so where will that leave us over the long term?

We need quality players who can play. We need experienced players. But these guys cost money so we need to get those experenced players. So we need to find a structure that finds value, which usually means making your own players through youth and upgrading them and then bringing in best quality from your own market. But that destroys the competition and makes our experienced players lax. So we have a problem. While the market is hyper inflated we need a manager who can read the lower markets and has talent at bring is value added young players who will develop with quality coaching. getting better players in is possible but you need a specialist manager fro this market. And no big name is gonna be able to handle the SCOTTISH level of market. Celtic are now a feeder club thanks to the billionaire playground and the tv subsidy. Cannot compete for Henrik Larsson or Suttons or even Hartsons with the current wage bubbles. so we need to make these guys but sadly when they are ready they likely move to PSG Lyons etc etc...

You also point out that the operating costs have skyrocketed but a fair chunk of those costs are down to the transfer fees and wages of those many 'project' signings who have failed to make the grade which in turn has left us with a bloated squad filled with players not contributing but who are draining precious resources. That's not sustainable either.

Thats exactly why we shouldn't be bringing in big name managers who only dal with first team ready premier league talents. They are in a market we can't buy. And they buy dross when trying to buy added value youngsters. Coupled with fact The Man city now buy up all the decent young players and loan them out for teams to make them money with resales through their market brand.

Rodgers the great, the man who takes young players and makes them magic wasted millions or millions on duffers. Thats what the top managers give you when they are restricted from buying the top end best of the best. You need someone who can scour the hidden talents and unearth tomorrows VVD or wanyama, both found by a certain lennon and his team.

There is a middle ground, there are ways to improve without spending ridiculous sums and completely overhauling the whole strategy. I can't speak for anybody else but I'm not looking for us to spend colossal sums or tear it all down and start again all I'm looking for is for the board to be a bit more flexible and pragmatic in their strategy and recognise that they've got to strike a balance between potential and experience.

I fully agree and that's why I think Lennons is the best option since he has history of going just this.

Can I just add that I only mentioned MON in relation to his management style maybe being similar to that of Benitez and not in relation to the budget he had to work with when he was Celtic manager.

MON, Beneitez, Rodgers

All have two things in common, they love their bank balance and ego more than any club, they don't add value off the pitch and rack up debts with other people money.

Celtic have history of having managers who care about the fans and their players, not just when they can utilise them.

Lennon is closest to the historical model than most other options.

Benitez if he didn't get 10 ira would not care a jot, and would not care if he bankrupted the club, just like Advocaat or rodgers or MON.

The may be classed as winners but its the finale that often backs the winners unless you have a stein and Fallon double act who can turn boys off the street into Ronaldo and Messi types.

None of the premier league big money coaches other than a small fraction have much experience recently in the lower markets or the way to motivate potential to raise their game. they mostly work with the best of the best day in day out and select rather than develop their team each week,.

HH

Anyone gave Arsene Wenger a thought?? Just read an interview in the paper down here where hes saying hes enjoyed not working but he'll be in the game "very soon".....
A guy who isn't looking for a way back to the prem.....been there done it.....gives young players a chance....enjoys attacking football
......bags of experience.

Thoughts please ????

Oh feck! it's ma birthday!!!! ah'm 66,look at aw they candles, bejeezus! Lenny ye know whit a want fur ma birthday,a wee belated present on the beautiful 25th would be lovely!!!! Slainthe BHOYS and GHIRLS! Hail Hail!!!!!
Hoopy birthday Michael. Health & Safety have asked if you'll hurry up and blow out all them candles as they're causing a fire risk. ?‍??? I think you should have a cheeky Stella tonight, just as a special wee treat! ? All the best pal and we'll all be celebrating tomorrow. ?

Thought ye were gonnae "spill the beans" wi an "exclusive" there,Weedoc!!!!
Promised Mr Desmond that I would let him do the hounors. However, for a case of your lovely stella, I might tell you what a guy I met holiday told me. His brother knows a guy who's cousin met a baggage handler at Glasgow airport who said his supervisor saw a guy, in a suit, get off a plane the other day.
now that's good a be newsworthy.

Anyone gave Arsene Wenger a thought?? Just read an interview in the paper down here where hes saying hes enjoyed not working but he'll be in the game "very soon".....
A guy who isn't looking for a way back to the prem.....been there done it.....gives young players a chance....enjoys attacking football

Thoughts please ????
I think I'll might have pancakes for breakfast. Just a thought.

Thoughts please ????
Interesting, can't see it. But maybe just maybe his philosophy of value added on off pitch is a good match. I think he is a great option if he fancies it.

Would be a helluva way to go out as record breaker. Might just be possible.

I like your thinking

Back