The politics of the songbook

They will indeed. I did like it by the way.
Just thought the timing of a rendition of the full repertoire was interesting enough to report on
HH
I don't think my post will cause any overnight change in what people sing. Hopefully it will stimulate debate and prove a positive contribution. All bets are off when certain opponents come to CP.

Last edited:
I don't think my post will cause any overnight change in what people sing. Hopefully it will stimulate debate and prove a positive contribution. All bets are off with certain opponents.
It might not change but you believed it and put it across well to be debated. Not many Celtic sites would have published that to a bigger audience either. In fact I doubt any would have. Fair play TCS as well. HH

The cheer up song should definitely be bombed out but they could change the lyrics to sad jambo bass for Leviene and dad sheepy bass for moaning McInnes. The boys of the old brigade and brood black brimmer will basically become folk songs but the problem is any mention of the ira gets to some folk as the can't tell the difference between the the 1916 it's and the 1980style proved they clash them all the same down to education

Now that the huns are finally seeing some censure for their vile output there is increased speculation that every effort of their allies will be focused on whataboutery in the hope of damaging Celtic.
Any possibility of success offered them is a serious strategic vulnerability. I am Irish and I consider myself a Republican so I don't consider songs like 'The Broad Black Brimmer' to be 'sectarian' but I accept it could be considered provocative. If Celtic were to be censured for fans singing it I would consider that an injustice as it's unlikely any British team's fans would ever be censured for singing 'rule Britannia' which is an ode to imperial domination and all that entailed. These 2 songs represent conflicting views of history and as such are divisive.
As Celtic fans we sing 'if you know your history' and certain songs are an expression of that but are they being used to educate? In some cases yes. Celtic fans started singing 'Grace' in 2016 causing Rod Stewart to record it and raise global awareness of Irish history. 'The Fields Of Athenry' tells a story closely associated with the circumstances in which the club was founded. Both tragic love songs set against historical events.
But some songs are more militant and could be perceived as intimidatory. Outdated propaganda like 'The Sam Song' has no place at a football match. Anything advocating political violence should be avoided imo. It could easily be argued that 'rule Britannia' above advocates political violence; which it does as imperialism is inherently violent but 'whatever Sevco gets away with' should not be our benchmark. I believe Celtic fans should take complete control of the moral high ground and eliminate anything that could be perceived as intimidating from the song book. And to this I would heretically add 'The Celtic Symphony'; which is nothing more than a Wolfe Tones cash in. If they could charge the club royalties for every time it is sung at CP they would. 'The Ra' can be perceived to mean many things; the IRA of Kevin Barry, the IRA of Bobby Sands or the IRA which shot Lyra McKee this year. As such there is too much ambiguity in the lyric imo.
There are other improvements to the songbook which could be made imo. The Irish National Anthem is 'Amhrán na bhFiann'; yes it was originally written in English but the only place you will ever hear it sung in English is at Celtic games. If you want to sing it, sing it properly and learn the Irish version. I also believe that 'God Bless The Pope' is an unnecessary addition. If you want to show your support for The Pope go to mass and put your money where your mouth is; i.e on the collection plate. Many Celtic fans are not Catholic or not religious at all so this is not relevant to them.
Relevancy should be the watchword when considering what is appropriate for the song book. What is relevant to the greatest number of Celtic fans and what will resonate most with them and also what will resonate most with the players on the field and spur them on to greater heights.
Totally agree about "Amhrán na bhFiann" I cringe when I hear it getting sung at parkhead.The ballads like Athenry are fine but Rod Stewart definitely jumped on the Grace bandwagon embarrassingly I felt.A great song with loads of history but for me not one for Rod.Today there was constant singing about the IRA from the GB.Thats no use to anybody at the game and I wonder if any of them really know what they’re singing about.I love the songs and the history behind them but for me not at the game and definitely not by people who don’t know the full story behind them.

Totally agree about "Amhrán na bhFiann" I cringe when I hear it getting sung at parkhead.The ballads like Athenry are fine but Rod Stewart definitely jumped on the Grace bandwagon embarrassingly I felt.A great song with loads of history but for me not one for Rod.Today there was constant singing about the IRA from the GB.Thats no use to anybody at the game and I wonder if any of them really know what they’re singing about.I love the songs and the history behind them but for me not at the game and definitely not by people who don’t know the full story behind them.
Couldn't agree more (y)(y)(y)

It's a football match in the 21st century. I want us to sing Celtic songs or folk songs or anthems that do not cause offence. YNWA is not a Celtic song but is an anthem and is marvellous to hear. Grace and Athenray are OK with me. I however cannot abide anything glorifying the IRA (of any era) or insulting our monarch or vilifying any other team. We are at our best when we support our team by supporting OUR team. How dare any section of the crowd dare to assume their political viewpoint is acceptable at Celtic Park. We have supporters of every political persuasion who just love to see Celtic. There is no need to ram your opinion down someones throat. It's just an opinion. I'd love to see the lyrics for our best songs published here

Last edited:
Phuq the queen!
I'm not a Royalist but michael what has Elizabeth Windsor ever done to you personally to deserve such a reaction. She has been doing her job longer than anyone else that I know to the best of her ability. why gratuitously insult an elderly woman. She never applied for the job she has. I cannot fathom what supporting Celtic has to do with our beliefs about the monarchy.

I'm not a Royalist but michael what has Elizabeth Windsor ever done to you personally to deserve such a reaction. She has been doing her job longer than anyone else that I know to the best of her ability. why gratuitously insult an elderly woman. She never applied for the job she has. I cannot fathom what supporting Celtic has to do with our beliefs about the monarchy.
She's a symbol Doc,of what phux up our little"united kingdom" and commonwealth! are you aware of the law forbidding catholics to sit on the throne,to me she's a puppet a symbol of protestant superiority,one the reasons i would never stand for their anthem,in particular the the third verse!,she's no better than marie antoinette or the tsarina! so eh'm..... phuq the queen!

born into privilege eh!, there, but the for grace of god, etc.....

I'm not a Royalist but michael what has Elizabeth Windsor ever done to you personally to deserve such a reaction.

She's never done anything to me, either. But I agree with Michael. Fuck Queen Elizabeth, and all so-called royalty anywhere. They have no divine right from God, or anyone else, to be superior to anyone.

If you want to connect the dots, Doc,, you might want to start with English oppression in Ireland leading to immigrants coming to Scotland, and Brother Walfrid setting up a football team to raise money to feed them. There's your connection.

The only positions specifically barred to Catholics are marriage to the sovereign or heir to the throne, or becoming sovereign themselves, a legacy of the Act of Settlement that followed the Glorious Revolution of 1688 and the deposition of the last Catholic monarch, James II; there has never been a Catholic prime minister!!! are ye there Doc!

The ruling Monarch is the Defender of the Faith.....only one faith mind you and it ain’t mine.....and head of the Church of England.....a church created on the whim of a king who wanted to rid himself of an unwanted wife.....strong Christian values and foundations there don’t ya think?

The monarchy also claim to be anointed by God.....what does that tell us all.....self appointed deities?.....more of the know your place mentality, eh?

The monarchy also embodies and champions the class system which equates to pomp, privilege and title and the we are better than you mantra (remind you of anyone?) which should be abhorrent to any free thinking, modern and civilised society.....the monarchy is also heavily steeped in the secrets ways of the Masonic......which props up the crown and pays tribute to a supreme being which is not of God but of Satan.

In essence, the monarchy stands for self interest, entitlement, the promotion of the one man is better than another system of class and the succession of privilege on an anointed few.

I’m with Michael.....feck the monarchy and all who sail in her

The ruling Monarch is the Defender of the Faith.....only one faith mind you and it ain’t mine.....and head of the Church of England.....a church created on the whim of a king who wanted to rid himself of an unwanted wife.....strong Christian values and foundations there don’t ya think?

The monarchy also claim to be anointed by God.....what does that tell us all.....self appointed deities?.....more of the know your place mentality, eh?

The monarchy also embodies and champions the class system which equates to pomp, privilege and title and the we are better than you mantra (remind you of anyone?) which should be abhorrent to any free thinking, modern and civilised society.....the monarchy is also heavily steeped in the secrets ways of the Masonic......which props up the crown and pays tribute to a supreme being which is not of God but of Satan.

In essence, the monarchy stands for self interest, entitlement, the promotion of the one man is better than another system of class and the succession of privilege on an anointed few.

I’m with Michael.....feck the monarchy and all who sail in her
tell it like it is Imatim! HH

princess of Schlesweig-Holstien and Phil the Greek! feckin royalty. whit part of ya stupid bastaarts dae the "peepul" no get! oh that's right,as long as their proddy's any phuqer will do ! somebody to bow down to! but, ahem, payin taxes...... eh, that wiz the oldco!!!!!! aye rule feckin brittania! rant over, for now,oh,,and don't get me started on feckin brexit!!!!!! ah'm away furra Stella, calm doon Mick, calm doon!!!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back