The politics of the songbook

How can this be seen as anything other than a ballad, that sums up the hardships felt and witnessed and precicely what a monarchy controlled Army brought to so many.

Classic song but not the right tempo for a football match plus it requires considerable vocal skills not to make a mess of. Way beyond my vocal range or ear for music.

Classic song but not the right tempo for a football match plus it requires considerable vocal skills not to make a mess of. Way beyond my vocal range or ear for music.
Hahaha i get your drift on the high notes, the point PMM was simply our culture and club are defo interwined in politics and as you had stated previously, thats what brought us here as Celtic fans, a club formed to change the political landscape that had discriminated against a particular group for centuries.

Just like to say some really thought-provoking discussion initiated by PMM. Great stuff. You look across the city and James Currie is writing about the poor Gers fans being pulled up for 'naughty songs' - I wonder if anyone would accept anyone writing the word 'naughty' if the lyrics were about black African-Caribbean citizens of the UK? Also why would STV and other Scottish Media outlets be seeking the view of another alleged Morelos transfer from the Sectarian 'Fuck The Pope' Ian Durrant today? What other country would be running to seek the view of a shamed ex-footballer. This reflects that Sectarian behaviour is diluted in Scotland and scum like Durrant are offered another pathway back to the Scottish media gravy train. HH

Compressed.jpg A good debate raging on this thread tonight.This might be a different take on it if yez want to hear it.This photo represents a piece of my familys history.The elastoplast tin is about 100 years old ( notice the burns where fags were stubbed out ).The shell casing ( a lighter ) dates from the rising,the crossed rifles are the collar insignia from a Republican army uniform the 26 ( according to a curator at the Collins barracks museum ) was the number of the battalion of ex Republican army volunteers who re formed during WW 11 ( The emergency ).They belonged to my uncle.He wasn't a Celtic fan,he would not have laid his life on the line for the Pope and I have not and would not dishonour his memory by singing "Rebs" as a get it up ye to huns ( who I don't class as rangers fans ).For a lifetime I have loved Celtic with a passion but I,ve never sang a "Reb" at Celtic park. I've sang them often ( and I'm quite good ) at the right time and in the right place ( most recently at dawn in April 2016 outside Kilmainham jail.) as a way to love honour and respect bravery and courage - not hatred. I don't hate the queen - the monarchy is not relevant to me. I don't hate rangers fans but I do hate huns because their whole philosophy is hatred.So "Rebs" for me are about love and respect and it saddens me to hear them used as anthems of hate. Hope I have not offended any fellow Tims with this :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Last edited:
View attachment 4104 A good debate raging on this thread tonight.This might be a different take on it if yez want to hear it.This photo represents a piece of my familys history.The elastoplast tin is about 100 years old ( notice the burns where fags were stubbed out ).The shell casing ( a lighter ) dates from the rising,the crossed rifles are the collar insignia from a Republican army uniform the 26 ( according to a curator at the Collins barracks museum ) was the number of the battalion of ex Republican army volunteers who re formed during WW 11 ( The emergency ).They belonged to my uncle.He wasn't a Celtic fan,he would not have laid his life on the line for the Pope and I have not and would not dishonour his memory by singing "Rebs" as a get it up ye to huns ( who I don't class as rangers fans ).For a lifetime I have loved Celtic with a passion but I,ve never sang a "Reb" at Celtic park. I've sang them often ( and I'm quite good ) at the right time and in the right place ( most recently at dawn in April 1916 outside Kilmainham jail.) as a way to love honour and respect bravery and courage - not hatred. I don't hate the queen - the monarchy is not relevant to me. I don't hate rangers fans but I do hate huns because their whole philosophy is hatred.So "Rebs" for me are about love and respect and it saddens me to hear them used as anthems of hate. Hope I have not offended any fellow Tims with this :unsure::unsure::unsure:

You make some good points here and you've made me reflect on a thought I should have included in my original post.
We don't honour the dead by weaponising their memory and using their names in an intimidatory fashion.

Just like to say some really thought-provoking discussion initiated by PMM. Great stuff. You look across the city and James Currie is writing about the poor Gers fans being pulled up for 'naughty songs' - I wonder if anyone would accept anyone writing the word 'naughty' if the lyrics were about black African-Caribbean citizens of the UK? Also why would STV and other Scottish Media outlets be seeking the view of another alleged Morelos transfer from the Sectarian 'Fuck The Pope' Ian Durrant today? What other country would be running to seek the view of a shamed ex-footballer. This reflects that Sectarian behaviour is diluted in Scotland and scum like Durrant are offered another pathway back to the Scottish media gravy train. HH

Well said, Goldfinch. (y)

She's not my monarch, I didn't choose to have to fund her and her degenerate family's lifestyles. However, by virtue of her state occupying the part of my country in which I live I am forced to do so every time I do a week's work or buy something because of the taxes imposed by her government. Check out the recent revelations involving her second son, the charming specimen Andrew. Then consider her older son's close friendship with Jimmy Saville.
Para-fucking-sitical reprobate scum,
Fuck your queen!

Not to mention Mountbatten and the FBI flies on that reprobate

Any talk of the monarchy makes me think of this . . . .

Must be great having a republic with a lunitic acting like a
despot as Head of the Country

Not to mention Mountbatten and the FBI flies on that reprobate
What? Naw never gay brothels in India? Ponchacen for young boys noted by British Military Intelligence? And hooked the nephew up with the future Queen of England...Never your having a laugh!So glad Prince Andy's in the clear with that Reptile Epstein...Have got that right???

I would prefer we sang Celtic songs as the political ones don’t inspire the team at all. Not a bit and they give people the ammunition to say we are the same.

I heard the GB singinh these songs even more on Saturday so that hope of mine is probably a non starter. Even if they cause the club problems and the club has pleaded for them to stop, including Lenny, it doesn’t seem to bother some. I find that no different to the bigot brigade ignoring calls for them to stop.

The Irish don’t even sing them at their games ffs. Anyway, I seems a non starter for a section of our support to stop showing how passionate they are about the cause, not passionate enough to march with the actual real republicans whose marches number a couple of hundred, but enough to sing songs. As we all know, it was always the singing of songs that freed the south.

We have not only great Celtic songs but the ability to make up new ones. If the real Irish can go to an international
game or club game and not feel the need to belt out the Provo stuff these days maybe we can too.

Yeh right.

I would prefer we sang Celtic songs as the political ones don’t inspire the team at all. Not a bit and they give people the ammunition to say we are the same.

I heard the GB singinh these songs even more on Saturday so that hope of mine is probably a non starter. Even if they cause the club problems and the club has pleaded for them to stop, including Lenny, it doesn’t seem to bother some. I find that no different to the bigot brigade ignoring calls for them to stop.

The Irish don’t even sing them at their games ffs. Anyway, I seems a non starter for a section of our support to stop showing how passionate they are about the cause, not passionate enough to march with the actual real republicans whose marches number a couple of hundred, but enough to sing songs. As we all know, it was always the singing of songs that freed the south.

We have not only great Celtic songs but the ability to make up new ones. If the real Irish can go to an international
game or club game and not feel the need to belt out the Provo stuff these days maybe we can too.

Yeh right.
Yawn...... Same shite different shovel big man....... I've a strange feelin I've read this argument numerous times before???
Let the people sing........ Whatever the fuck they want...
We're living in times of the pc and easily offended.

Yawn...... Same shite different shovel big man....... I've a strange feelin I've read this argument numerous times before???
Let the people sing........ Whatever the fuck they want...
We're living in times of the pc and easily offended.

We have different views. I don’t think it inspires the team and causes us shit. You don’t, and nor do those who sing them. As I said I can’t see them being avoided but you never hear the whole ground joining in which should tell everybody it’s not the majority or anywhere near it. Have you ever wondered why? Maybe most would prefer they didn’t? That’s my view. But, your wish will be the one that prevails. Of that I have no doubt.

We have different views. I don’t think it inspires the team and causes us shit. You don’t, and nor do those who sing them. As I said I can’t see them being avoided but you never hear the whole ground joining in which should tell everybody it’s not the majority or anywhere near it. Have you ever wondered why? Maybe most would prefer they didn’t? That’s my view. But, your wish will be the one that prevails. Of that I have no doubt.
There's a section of society that try to make it look like the IRA didn't exist, tried to paint them with a certain type of brush or label. But where I grew up they were viewed very differently. The six counties was crawling with terrorist alright, but they were wearing Brit uniforms. Yet it's ok to celebrate them year in year out wearing your poppies and even making TV shows about them and calling them heroes. A shower of tramps from the lowest walks of life. I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for the ra we would have been trampled all over. It does my heart good to hear the next generation sing about them. And long may it continue!

There's a section of society that try to make it look like the IRA didn't exist, tried to paint them with a certain type of brush or label. But where I grew up they were viewed very differently. The six counties was crawling with terrorist alright, but they were wearing Brit uniforms. Yet it's ok to celebrate them year in year out wearing your poppies and even making TV shows about them and calling them heroes. A shower of tramps from the lowest walks of life. I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for the ra we would have been trampled all over. It does my heart good to hear the next generation sing about them. And long may it continue!

I would have more respect if they actually marched but they don’t. They sing. I don’t see that as commitment, I see it as lip service. I still don’t think a football game is the platform even if all who sang joined the real republicans on the streets. But, as I said, as long as people see Celtic as the sporting wing of the Provos it will continue.

I would have more respect if they actually marched but they don’t. They sing. I don’t see that as commitment, I see it as lip service. I still don’t think a football game is the platform even if all who sang joined the real republicans on the streets. But, as I said, as long as people see Celtic as the sporting wing of the Provos it will continue.
I don't or infact anyone I know who supports Celtic look on them as the political wing of anyone. I grew up singing these songs and love to hear them in full flow in Celtic park. I'm obviously not alone in this opinion and incidentally politics has nothing to do with why I support celtic.

I don't or infact anyone I know who supports Celtic look on them as the political wing of anyone. I grew up singing these songs and love to hear them in full flow in Celtic park. I'm obviously not alone in this opinion and incidentally politics has nothing to do with why I support celtic.

Politics is why we were formed. As for full flow, it’s never full flow. Not in the same full flow as Celtic songs are full flow. Never. I have never ever seen the ground all bouncing to them. An away game at Ibrox back in the day maybe. Not now and not for years. Away games but most of the songs are dirges, sad, not rousing or uplifting. What about all our fans who have no Irish connection, who don’t support the IRA, who aren’t catholic? Who love Celtic but who want us to be Celtic fans and not proponents of the IRA? What about them. What about all the support who are in the above categories like myself, who would rather we didn’t? If there is a crowd of 60k and five thousand are singing then it’s oirtrayed as we all sing them. We don’t. It’s clear we don’t. But that doesn’t matter to those who see them as a right. It’s not, nor should it be. We need to move on. We won’t but we need to.

Don’t you bother that the club and managers want us to stop as it damages our image? Haven’t the IRA signed up for peace? It’s like picking a scab. It will never heal.

Politics is why we were formed. As for full flow, it’s never full flow. Not in the same full flow as Celtic songs are full flow. Never. I have never ever seen the ground all bouncing to them. An away game at Ibrox back in the day maybe. Not now and not for years. Away games but most of the songs are dirges, sad, not rousing or uplifting. What about all our fans who have no Irish connection, who don’t support the IRA, who aren’t catholic? Who love Celtic but who want us to be Celtic fans and not proponents of the IRA? What about them. What about all the support who are in the above categories like myself, who would rather we didn’t? If there is a crowd of 60k and five thousand are singing then it’s oirtrayed as we all sing them. We don’t. It’s clear we don’t. But that doesn’t matter to those who see them as a right. It’s not, nor should it be. We need to move on. We won’t but we need to.

Don’t you bother that the club and managers want us to stop as it damages our image? Haven’t the IRA signed up for peace? It’s like picking a scab. It will never heal.
Yes there is peace here, to a certain extent. Would I like it to go back to how it was? No. War is rotten in any form. But it happened and people like to sing about it. And I appreciate the many walks of life that support the celts and wouldn't try to censor them just as you should appreciate and try to accept the people who choose to sing whatever songs they want. Get another group going to sing Celtic only songs, but what gives anyone the right to preach to anyone else. As for moving on, why should we forget the men and women who sacrificed so much to get us to where we are today and yet celebrate the other fuckers who raped and pillaged every country they were ever in.

As for the club and manager wanting us to stop, that's a wee bit hypocritical of you, seeing you spend a lot of your time on here criticising them. Maybe you and Tory Pete have finally found something to agree on!

Yeh right.
Re your sentence the Irish dont sing them anyway Verdict
I was singing Grace ( Karaoke ) in a great old traditional Irish pub in Dublins Stoneybatter ( Real old Dublin district ) and it was well received by most of the crowd but as I made my way back to my to my Baileys and 5 Lamps lager I passed a table full of twenty somethings all saying " I wish they would feckin' ditch that old Republican shite its spoiling the night". Irelands new generation have left their history behind now I think

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back