The politics of the songbook

'Offence' is probably not the best word. The song was written about Irish, English / Irish gangsters in Manchester by a majority Irish band. Misappropriation of the song by the occupation crown forces was unpleasant and unfortunate and I'm sure neither Phil Lynott nor Brian Downey would have approved of this or the many crimes committed by Brit marines and other regiments in Ireland . Just like I'm sure Tina Turner wouldn't approve of the misappropriation of her song by Rangers and Sevco racists and Loyalist murder gang, narco-terrorists. My knowledge of Tina's song predates the misappropriation and I'm not 'offended' by it. I'm offended by the misuse of the song but not the song itself.
All a bit of a moot point anyway as The Boys Are Back In Town wouldn't really be suitable for chanting at a match.
I'm not particularly worried about where the song comes from. All I know is, I hate it. It brings back bad memories.

I'm not particularly worried about where the song comes from. All I know is, I hate it. It brings back bad memories.

I'm sure there are a more than a few ex marines with bad memories of South Armagh. I'd like to think at the very least the murderers amongst them have troubled consciences. Blaring tunes from saracens couldn't have been too regular an occurrence when the only safe way for them to travel was by air.

I'm sure there are a more than a few ex marines with bad memories of South Armagh. I'd like to think at the very least the murderers amongst them have troubled consciences. Blaring tunes from saracens couldn't have been too regular an occurrence when the only safe way for them to travel was by air.
I'm sure they probably have bad memories of south Armagh, and Derry and Belfast and strabane etc etc.I didn't say anything about where it was. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.....

I'm sure they probably have bad memories of south Armagh, and Derry and Belfast and strabane etc etc.I didn't say anything about where it was. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.....
The Boys are back in town was released in 1976, Brit marines were mostly confined to S Armagh by late 70s.

That would cover most of the troubles then...
Yeah, apart from the early '70s before the song was written the Brit marines were mostly in South Armagh. Never heard of them blaring tunes from vehicles or barracks there or anywhere else for that matter. The Brit marines did drop 'calling cards' as Martin McGuinness referred to them at the funerals of Brendan Moley and Brendan Burns in '88; flyers as you call them. Although I would not be surprised if this wasn't the only time that happened.

Yeah, apart from the early '70s before the song was written the Brit marines were mostly in South Armagh. Never heard of them blaring tunes from vehicles or barracks there or anywhere else for that matter. The Brit marines did drop 'calling cards' as Martin McGuinness referred to them at the funerals of Brendan Moley and Brendan Burns in '88; flyers as you call them. Although I would not be surprised if this wasn't the only time that happened.
So because you never heard of it, it mustn't be true? I could go into more specifics,but I won't.

I'm not particularly concerned about your opinion. You seem to be an authority on everything. The funny thing is, you don't know as much as you think you do!

Brits blasting tunes to the point of traumatising Irish people to hate a song by an Irish band. You would think, growing up in the OSC you would hear about something like that. Sort of thing would have made the pages of AP/RN; maybe even a Cormac cartoon. They got up to some heinous shit, much of it well documented. Why is history silent on this one?

Brits blasting tunes to the point of traumatising Irish people to hate a song by an Irish band. You would think, growing up in the OSC you would hear about something like that. Sort of thing would have made the pages of AP/RN; maybe even a Cormac cartoon. They got up to some heinous shit, much of it well documented. Why is history silent on this one?
Again you don't know as much as you think. I'm not going to go into the finer details with someone on a forum. Especially someone who I've had suspicions about their motives for a while. You make too many assumptions for your own good. As someone pointed out on another thread, a man of many aliases!

Again you don't know as much as you think. I'm not going to go into the finer details with someone on a forum. Especially someone who I've had suspicions about their motives for a while. You make too many assumptions for your own good. As someone pointed out on another thread, a man of many aliases!

Deadly, when you resort to alluding to Maria's demented ramblings to attempt to make some sort of 'point; it truly speaks volumes. Thanks for clearing up any lingering doubts.

Deadly, when you resort to alluding to Maria's demented ramblings to attempt to make some sort of 'point; it truly speaks volumes. Thanks for clearing up any lingering doubts.
I wasn't aware it was Maria who made the previous accusation, but you know what you can say what you like about her, she had an unbelievable ability to sniff out a rat. Make of that what you like. I think by you pointing out your previous accuser you have confirmed my suspicions.

I wasn't aware it was Maria who made the previous accusation, but you know what you can say what you like about her, she had an unbelievable ability to sniff out a rat. Make of that what you like. I think by you pointing out your previous accuser you have confirmed my suspicions.
On some level maybe there is some form of logic in that drivel but it's beyond my powers of deduction.
So Walter, what are your suspicions?

On some level maybe there is some form of logic in that drivel but it's beyond my powers of deduction.
So Walter, what are your suspicions?
You might have fooled everyone else on here with your divisive thread about a topic that has been flogged over and over again on here. Then you talk of the national game of Ireland being Gaelic football, really? You talk about chanting at Gaelic football matches, again more bullshit. Anyone who knows anything about Gaelic football will know this doesn't happen. You claim to know too much about the marines, are you an ex marine' or just a Hun stirring shite? Either way I'm tired of you.

Back