Transfer Rumours

So £4/5m say couldn't secure the signing of a better CB than Boyata/Hendry likewise a better RB than Lustig/Gamboa? Also two of the finest players I've ever seen pull on the hoops, Larsson and Moravcik, didn't come with 'considerable price tags' both combined cost less than £1m and were relative unknowns. Were they best avoided?

I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying John I recognise it's a difficult market but there are viable affordable targets out there who, if we deviated from our policy once in a while, could come in and make a massive difference and give us a solid base to build on. Combine that with all these young up and coming players we're bringing in and you could create something more formidable and sustainable.

HH John.
if we sign McKenna will the national side now be called Celtland??

I think the entire basis of the rumour of his alleged 'imminent' signing for Celtic was the fact he was in Glasgow. In January. If he was in Glasgow in March, nobody would care. But he's in Glasgow to take part in some radio stuff. Not to sign for Celtic. I hate January.

I know a thing or two about Scott McKenna; hence why I advocate relatively strongly for him and, if we get him, one thing is for sure: we're going to have a lad who desperately wants to give everything for the hoops and the fans. I know that doesn't account for a lack of talent, but, in my opinion, he has the capacity to become a Celtic legend. In the atmosphere of Celtic, with better players and better coaches, he's going to improve and improve.

Can you perhaps expand on things on what you know, obviously without getting too personal? Cheers

That of course doesn't mean he's coming to Celtic (I think it's nonsense, personally), but it means you'd have someone who understands the club and its cultures if he did.

Jim Whyte on talkSPORT saying he’s been told meeting at Parkhead the now to confirm 4m right back from Olympiakos and McCarthy on loan.
Probably Sky understands crap but a rumour nonetheless. McCarthy on a loan with option to buy if he proves his fitness would be a great deal, Brown's replacement.

A lot of people have reacted negatively to the idea of signing McCarthy. I, for one, would like it. At the very least, he'd always be playing for the jersey. And, when fully fit, he's a quality player.

I think it looks like all the speculation was just that, unless the taxi broke down preventing him arriving at Celtic Park. When I read that we had offered nearly £6m and two players the bubble burst.

A RB and CB as we have known for years are the two most important weaknesses in our team. I had hoped that both of these positions would be dealt with first. I would sell Boyata for £3m if need be and put whatever we get for him toward buying someone to improve us and be here for the CL qualification.

Keeping him is madness if he walks for nothing. When will the penny drop that we are the biggest risk to our 10iar. Us, not Sevco or anyone else. If we don’t spend on quality we potentially jeopardise £60m for two years running.

I cannot get my head around this kamikaze approach. There are still two weeks to go, but ffs Celtic get your fucking finger out and do what everyone needs to be done. Sort the defense and set us up to crush Sevco and qualify for the CL.

Sevco have gone all in. At the very least call them out by doing what needs to be done. If they fail to realise this they put our future as top dog in peril. That’s not leadership. To say there will be hell to pay for them if they do nothing is no consolation if we let them shoot us in the head. Even if they are rightly hounded out, the damage will have been done.

Get us the players, do your jobs.

I am starting to get the, it’s going to be a last day, last minute scramble for whatever’s left on the crumb filled table, scenario. Every day I wake up hoping there is something happening, only for that sinking feeling to kick in.

17 days in and still no defenders. It makes you wonder what has been going on scouting wise. If we had scouted a number of players in the price bracket we could afford, as they should, what has happened?

To me the first moves should have been the positions we all know are our greatest weakness. It may be that we are going with the two young American lads for full back cover which is a risk. I think both look really promising but it’s still a risk. For me Boyata has shown he has not intention of staying, so sell him for as much as we can get, use that to add to whatever we have put aside and get a player who is ours.

To be in the position of losing him and Benkovic in the summer and being back to square one, would be totally unacceptable.

I can’t see us doing nothing, but having said that, I felt the same in the summer. It cost us a fortune and stalled us, regressed would probably be more accurate. To do the same two windows in a row, would be criminal negligence. Two weeks left to sort it.

They say a week is a long time in politics, two in the transfer window when you are waiting for news will be fucking murder.

If we get a couple of quality defenders this window will be a good one. If we don’t then it’s valium time. Again.

Come on Celtic, end the anxiety and let us all take a deep breath and look forward to a treble treble and just as important for our continued improvement, CL qualification and that big bag of cash that will help fund more quality arriving.

Please don’t leave it until the last day.

I am starting to get the, it’s going to be a last day, last minute scramble for whatever’s left on the crumb filled table, scenario. Every day I wake up hoping there is something happening, only for that sinking feeling to kick in.

17 days in and still no defenders. It makes you wonder what has been going on scouting wise. If we had scouted a number of players in the price bracket we could afford, as they should, what has happened?

To me the first moves should have been the positions we all know are our greatest weakness. It may be that we are going with the two young American lads for full back cover which is a risk. I think both look really promising but it’s still a risk. For me Boyata has shown he has not intention of staying, so sell him for as much as we can get, use that to add to whatever we have put aside and get a player who is ours.

To be in the position of losing him and Benkovic in the summer and being back to square one, would be totally unacceptable.

I can’t see us doing nothing, but having said that, I felt the same in the summer. It cost us a fortune and stalled us, regressed would probably be more accurate. To do the same two windows in a row, would be criminal negligence. Two weeks left to sort it.

They say a week is a long time in politics, two in the transfer window when you are waiting for news will be fucking murder.

If we get a couple of quality defenders this window will be a good one. If we don’t then it’s valium time. Again.

Come on Celtic, end the anxiety and let us all take a deep breath and look forward to a treble treble and just as important for our continued improvement, CL qualification and that big bag of cash that will help fund more quality arriving.

Please don’t leave it until the last day.

Bang on. It would be madness to hold on to Boyata when he clearly wants to leave. Punt him for whatever we can get, and sign McKenna - good young Scottish defender who knows what Celtic is all about, and would shore up our marshmallow defence. I for one would much rather have McKenna in the team than Boyata in the second half of the season.

I know is I am in the minority but I think midfield needs to be looked at IF we have ambitions in Europe What we have is fine for Scotland but I think all of them have been badly shown up against European sides of any quality at all eg Leipzig Ours lack at that level that extra tiny bit of speed and zip and so are overrun , leaving our defence exposed and our strikers without any support or service And yet our defence and strikers often carry the can

I think we have had a right back targeted from day 1 of the window. Timothy Castagne seems to be the choice, and news of this, along with Timothy Weah, was the first rumour of the window. Castagne and/or his agent are keeping their options open, and we appear to be happy to wait until the end of the window. The Norwegian RB at Olympiakos seems to be plan b if Castagne doesn’t sign.
We won’t sign a centre half, IMO, unless Boyata leaves or Benkovic is recalled. Personally I’d look to punt Boyata now and sign a replacement (all indications seem to point to McKenna).

Members online

Latest posts

Back