transfer window

Any thoughts on bringing in both Miovski and Shankland in January, if they were agreeable? Both know and have shown they can score in the league. I would prefer it, to bringing in an expensive untested young prospect, who you are taking a chance with. Or a struggling EPL player. Neither of whom may get up to speed in time. It also gives more than additional needed cover for the Asian Cup period, and any tiredness, loss of form or injuries coming out of it. Both can complement our style. With £60 million at stake, I think it is worth the risk. And it would also deny 'Sevco'. Which is not in my thinking at all. These with a decent defensive central midfielder and a left full back would do me. I would leave a keeper to the Summer. I now see this season about only one thing, and that is winning the league. Fine, if we get the quality in January that will immediately deliver on this, but I am not so sure about that. But, if practicality will deliver, then that will do me for now

Last edited:
Any thoughts on bringing in both Miovski and Shankland in January, if they were agreeable? Both know and have shown they can score in the league. I would prefer it, to bringing in an expensive untested young prospect, who you are taking a chance with. Or a struggling EPL player. Neither of whom may get up to speed in time. It also gives more than additional needed cover for the Asian Cup period, and any tiredness, loss of form or injuries coming out of it. Both can complement our style. With £60 million at stake, I think it is worth the risk. And it would also deny 'Sevco'. Which is not in my thinking at all. These with a decent defensive central midfielder and a left full back would do me. I would leave a keeper to the Summer.
Aye I would agree with this. Get both. The folly folly folk are praising Shankland after him scoring today. Because the whispers are he is going to sign for them.

Deffo worth the risk. And, they will score goals.

Any thoughts on bringing in both Miovski and Shankland in January, if they were agreeable? Both know and have shown they can score in the league. I would prefer it, to bringing in an expensive untested young prospect, who you are taking a chance with. Or a struggling EPL player. Neither of whom may get up to speed in time. It also gives more than additional needed cover for the Asian Cup period, and any tiredness, loss of form or injuries coming out of it. Both can complement our style. With £60 million at stake, I think it is worth the risk. And it would also deny 'Sevco'. Which is not in my thinking at all. These with a decent defensive central midfielder and a left full back would do me. I would leave a keeper to the Summer. I now see this season about only one thing, and that is winning the league. Fine, if we get the quality in January that will immediately deliver on this, but I am not so sure about that. But, if practicality will deliver, then that will do me for now
I've posted on here (a while ago about Shankland) about buying both of them, although not at the same time admittedly!

It usually ends in me getting slaughtered cos Shankland is a currant bun and - even though they are scoring heaps in the SPFL - supposedly aren't good enough to score goals for Celtic in the SPFL!

My argument is that 80%+ of our matches every season are against the very teams they are currently scoring against while getting poorer service. They might not play every week against packed defences, but very few strikers do (unless they play for a top side in which case we couldn't afford them anyway). But they are settled in Scotland and know what to expect with regards weather & physical battles.

Miovski yes, meets the all important sell on potential for Lawwell. Would cost £4m+. Shankland will go to the huns, that’s where he wants to go.

We've rushed Hatate back before for big games and it never works well.

He seems to need a couple of matches to get his match fitness up to a decent enough level to be able to contribute anything meaningful.

So I'd say let him recover fully and return after the winter break. Otherwise he might be a wasted jersey again and we risk him reaggravating his injury again, and he is too important to us to have him out for a few more months again.

It is a shame Iwata got injured just when he was establishing himself. I think his calmness, reading of the game and defensive attributes are perfect for matches like the New Glasgow Derby.

He protects the defence, adds height, can slot through long passes and, most importantly, allows CalMac to play higher up the pitch where he is more effective.

Bernardo was better yesterday, but he is still not playing to a high enough standard for me. I agree that he has a future somewhere warmer where the play is less frantic but I can't see us spending £6m on him. I think Holm has shown more in his few chances so would prefer to see him getting more gametime to develop.

Lots of reports this morning that BR saying Hatate could be fit for next week.
Said he’d be like a new signing. Music to Lawwell’s ears
Great news Gary but we already see that our Duracel bunny Daizen is no where near up to the speed of any game and his touch is way off and we have already seen this before with Reo as well.
Understandable of course having been out for so long.
The one I suspect who might surprise us is Abada...he's back out running etc you never know he might be worth 20 mins against the imposters if needed.
Hopefully Daizen looks better against Dundee and will be match ready for world beaters .

Great news Gary but we already see that our Duracel bunny Daizen is no where near up to the speed of any game and his touch is way off and we have already seen this before with Reo as well.
The one I suspect who might surprise us is Abada...he's back out running etc you never know he might be worth 20 mins against the imposters if needed.
Hopefully Daizen looks better against Dundee and will be match ready for world beaters .
Rodgers played down Abada's return pre break. Daizen just needs minutes to get his sharpness back, another 60-70 mins at Dens and he will be ready for next week

I'm not sure that many of us would consider Luis Palma has been a complete success. But his stats are quite impressive all the same - in all competitions for Celtic they are:

19 appearances
1143 minutes
7 goals
8 assists

That is a goal contribution (goal or assist) every 75 minutes played. Not bad for a "luxury player" settling into a new country! Maybe I need to cut him more slack.

I'm not sure that many of us would consider Luis Palma has been a complete success. But his stats are quite impressive all the same - in all competitions for Celtic they are:

19 appearances
1143 minutes
7 goals
8 assists

That is a goal contribution (goal or assist) every 75 minutes played. Not bad for a "luxury player" settling into a new country! Maybe I need to cut him more slack.
He still has much to prove Bridie. There's no doubt that he has an end product, but he needs to show consistency.

He has another opportunity tonight, let's hope he grabs it.

He still has much to prove Bridie. There's no doubt that he has an end product, but he needs to show consistency.

He has another opportunity tonight, let's hope he grabs it.

I’d like to see him being more unselfish at times and going past defenders on the outside and getting to the bye line and driving balls across. That’s where a lot of our goals used to come from and the type of service KYOGO excels in…

I’m not sure we’ll see too much of Abada, especially after the latest news…

IMO, Palma has been a fantastic player ..a bit inconsistent but he's young and still learning how to play football and also our culture must be a shock for him..
For me, Abada will move in the January window. I don't think his mind will be in the right place given that his heart must be ripped apart due to the conflict and although I'm certain nobody thinks it, but he must feel like the "enemy"..sad but true
I can't see us splashing out big on a striker with maybe someone on loan to cover the absence of Kyogo,Oh and Maeda...our only strikers who will all possibly be away for 4 weeks.
Jamie Vardy?

Enough pish from me..Have a smashing boxing day
FTH

I’m not sure we’ll see too much of Abada, especially after the latest news…

Pretty much my thoughts, too, Imatim. I've said it before, but the bloke has family and friends back home who are caught up in this catastrophic war. He has much more to consider than his career in a Celtic jersey; which was always goin' to be but a phase his footballing travels anyway.

Pretty much my thoughts, too, Imatim. I've said it before, but the bloke has family and friends back home who are caught up in this catastrophic war. He has much more to consider than his career in a Celtic jersey; which was always goin' to be but a phase his footballing travels anyway.

Abada aside…..I’m disgusted by the fact the Israeli government in concert with UEFA are endeavouring to shut down free speech.

My support is for the innocent people who are suffering …..I condemn any form of oppression and the genocide being inflicted on innocent Palestinians.

UEFA and the government of Israel…..shame on you…

Abada aside…..I’m disgusted by the fact the Israeli government in concert with UEFA are endeavouring to shut down free speech.

My support is for the innocent people who are suffering …..I condemn any form of oppression and the genocide being inflicted on innocent Palestinians.

UEFA and the government of Israel…..shame on you…
I can do nothing other than wholeheartedly agree with you. My hope for humanity withers bit by bit on an almost daily basis.
Sometimes I awake with the wish that I was one of those folk who might be described as ' lucky' to be able to switch off, and not give a flyin' feck.

Not to be, though. When good men say/do nothing ?.....I'm sure you know the rest.

Back