Wee rumour

I said before that I wanted Clarke to replace Ronnie but not so sure this time. We will be a more solid unit but it won't be so pretty to watch (obviously compared to previous seasons, not this shitty one). And I don't think he fits our business model of developing young players for selling on at big profit (much to many fans disgust).

It would also mean that we would be starting on the back foot next season as he won't have had time to assess our current players, will have limited input into replacing the out-going players as he will be a tad busy, and he will probably miss a fair bit of pre-season training due to the Euros!

It doesn't excite me if I'm honest. Clarke is good at organising a team and making them disciplined, hard to beat etc but attractive attacking football? I've not seen it, maybe that just wasn't an option with Kilmarnock and Scotland? 🤷‍♂️
Agree , he might be a decent organiser and we could do with that but I dont think he would want to be involved in the hatred that goes on here. He said as much as killie manager.

Yeah wouldn't mind Clarke to be honest.
I think he can keep a group of players onside and get the most from them.
Don't mind if we're not playing Brazilian style football as long as we're progressing and getting results.
If we were to use him as a stepping stone to a top manager then I'd be for it, his organisational skills could pave the way for a better man to follow

I certainly hope someone has been lined up for the job but I have no time for the cloak and dagger stuff. Knowing that the new man is watching might give some players a much needed incentive so let us all know wtf is going on. Stevie Clarke doesn't excite me tbh as he has never had to manage a team on the front foot though we might get a lot more tight European matches. What happens if he has a disaster at the Euros or an unlikely success does he still come to Celtic?

The first thing we need in place is a Director of Football with complete control of the everything within the footballing operation. That's first team, reserves, youth, scouting/recruitment, sport science/medical, data/analytics. They should be involved in the choice of the new first team manager/head coach.
I've changed my mind
and now think that the next manager should be an experienced management team, ie manager and his assistant. We can then build a team of coaches below them. Previously I was thinking someone like Damien Duff or Shaun Maloney with an experienced DoF to guide them but I think the rebuild job is so huge that an experienced team is required in the short term.
Clarke and Dyer is an interesting if uninspiring one. Eddie Howe's long term assistant is now available after being sacked by Bournemouth so there's an available management team who could start tomorrow. I was impressed by Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen on the ACSOM podcast, again they would be in the Clarke/Dyer bracket of probably good appointments but wouldn't put bums on seats and sell season tickets.
Unfortunately we are currently at the stage where we would consider anyone just to get rid of Lennon, but that cant be the driving factor on the next manager decision. We need to get the best that we can attract to the job.

It doesn't excite me if I'm honest. Clarke is good at organising a team and making them disciplined, hard to beat etc but attractive attacking football? I've not seen it, maybe that just wasn't an option with Kilmarnock and Scotland? 🤷‍♂️
As a manager he's never had a group of players that can play attacking, attractive football. As an assistant he coached at Chelsea and Liverpool who both played attractive, attacking football so its possible he could do that with Celtic as well.
He'd at least sort the shambles that is our defence out.

He had coaching roles at Liverpool and Chelsea as well and they weren’t bad sides. Managed WBA and Reading but I don't recall how they fared under his guidance.
As for Killie or the SFA team would either of those squads inspire you with confidence? He can only work with what he’s got. I don’t know how he would do with our squad but he couldn’t do any worse than Lennon has this season.
Whether he would be prepared to come is a different story.

He had coaching roles at Liverpool and Chelsea as well and they weren’t bad sides. Managed WBA and Reading but I don't recall how they fared under his guidance.
As for Killie or the SFA team would either of those squads inspire you with confidence? He can only work with what he’s got. I don’t know how he would do with our squad but he couldn’t do any worse than Lennon has this season.
Whether he would be prepared to come is a different story.
Took WBA to their highest EPL finish in first season, 8th

What happens if he has a disaster at the Euros
If Scotland qualifies grom a group containing england then I'll be shocked to say the least. That said weve not done too badly against them in tournament football before so it could happen again. I'd quite happily leave Clarke where he is as hes doing ok , just ok mind as we really shouldnt be at the euros in place of some of the far better sides who havent made it. Still , I think he can improve Scotland and if hes more successful than stachan was ( hed have negotiated the nations league also I've no doubts) then leave him be. I want to see an Eddie Howe type of appointment, like o'Neil and Rodgers before, we have seen the benefits a top manager/ coach ( the very best are both) can bring to a massive club like ours and we have seen the opposite when we go with the cheap approach. If McKay wants to leave the club with merit to his name he will know that we require a true top manager and preferably a young one , did I mention Eddie Howe? 😛

I was impressed by Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen on the ACSOM podcast, again they would be in the Clarke/Dyer bracket of probably good appointments but wouldn't put bums on seats and sell season tickets.
Unfortunately we are currently at the stage where we would consider anyone just to get rid of Lennon, but that cant be the driving factor on the next manager decision. We need to get the best that we can attract to the job.
As a manager he's never had a group of players that can play attacking, attractive football. As an assistant he coached at Chelsea and Liverpool who both played attractive, attacking football so its possible he could do that with Celtic as well.
He'd at least sort the shambles that is our defence out.
I agree with most of this but please not Mark Hughes. When he first broke through he was an exciting young manager but I think he has been mainly awful for the last few years.

I agree about Clarke too, but I wouldn't say Chelsea were that attractive to watch. But there was a reason a succession of top managers there trusted his judgement and kept him as their assistant. I'm not saying he will go full-on Walter Smith anti-football, but he prefers containment rather than an all-out swashbuckling attacking style which would although it should bring us success but with the pay-off being that we may not be as entertaining as most Celtic fans like.

The first thing we need in place is a Director of Football with complete control of the everything within the footballing operation. That's first team, reserves, youth, scouting/recruitment, sport science/medical, data/analytics. They should be involved in the choice of the new first team manager/head coach.
I've changed my mind
and now think that the next manager should be an experienced management team, ie manager and his assistant. We can then build a team of coaches below them. Previously I was thinking someone like Damien Duff or Shaun Maloney with an experienced DoF to guide them but I think the rebuild job is so huge that an experienced team is required in the short term.
Clarke and Dyer is an interesting if uninspiring one. Eddie Howe's long term assistant is now available after being sacked by Bournemouth so there's an available management team who could start tomorrow. I was impressed by Mark Hughes and Mark Bowen on the ACSOM podcast, again they would be in the Clarke/Dyer bracket of probably good appointments but wouldn't put bums on seats and sell season tickets.
Hughes has had a bit of a chequered management career. Had too many failures for my liking. Although maybe once again that was just due to what he had to work with?

Members online

Latest posts

Back