Well Being

Ye still get the snake belts on flea bay ah would get one but the only place it would fit these days was on ma napper like the dude on It Ain’t Half Hot Mum ah wis gonny put a photo on but the file was too big how do you get pictures small enough to upload so I can bore ye all on the hobbies thread wi ma camper van pics

Ye still get the snake belts on flea bay ah would get one but the only place it would fit these days was on ma napper like the dude on It Ain’t Half Hot Mum ah wis gonny put a photo on but the file was too big how do you get pictures small enough to upload so I can bore ye all on the hobbies thread wi ma camper van pics
Micky, I've used Imgur.com in the past when images have been too big to post, it's fast. it's easy, and it's free to sign up, post away, I think many on the noise would be interested in seeing your pics HH

Some great stories of the memories, i had a laugh and a tear to be honest reading some of them.
I start this shit off pished, tell it like it really is, wake up next day, read the first line and delete it, then regret doing same. Old school, let the guard down and your first reaction is to retreat .....

I delete because i don't know how to handle (sober) what i think but dinnae say out loud ever...
Its what i love about this place, in my time here theres so many that have clearly had a moment or several and this is the place they can let it out. No matter what you feel and no matter what you say, there are kind folk on here that see it for what it is and have a kind word. You regret being that fucking open cos it takes you to be utterly fucked to say it even to people you've never met.

My struggle with the odd outburst is becuase its really always me trying to make sense of whats went before, recognising whats been written before but only now being mature enough to come to terms with it. I think becoming a father has been the making of me, its my joy, i'm better at it than anything else.
But walking in those shoes like many before me, I really struggle with how naive i was to whats went before me and the ignorance i've shown to the people that were always on my team. I guess thats something many of us will live with.

I suppose the early years will always be our finest and many of us were LUCKY to be brought up in poverty of some kind. I maintain to this day, where you find poverty you'll see a community.
There is no community these days because even those that are skint, couldn't hold a candle to the olden days version of SKINT. They'd have a rechargable fucking LED.

My folks were honest and survived on my old bhoys wages alone, piss poor as a teenager and throughout his 20's. He could have sat in the house sponging and they would have been better off financially. We would have been better off too as we'd see our old man more than the 1 day a week we had for years.

Knowing now what i knew then but didn't understand, that's what really sticks out for me about the people they were. I've said before, we had fuck all, but we had everything we needed. Thinking back now, we ate better than i do now, we had clothes that were anyhting but cheap looking back at pictures. My folks pride wasn't a car, the new TV, etc. Their pride was knowing they spent every hard earned fucking penny on us and not themselves or 4 cans of breakers.

A few things that might bring the memories back for some, stick out like sore thumbs for me.... bear in mind we stayed a fucking mile from anything, we stayed in a scheme that was about a mile from the farms so what was relevant to us might not be to others

Having to walk in the toon as it was downhill, but the walk back was like a munro so you got a bus. It was free for the 3 kids, either way, but my maw wouldn't pay 25p for a bus when you could walk it down a hill.

Tweed fucking trousers, matching pair for you and your brother... as big billy said, tweed was a mixture of Camel pubes and Barbed wire'

Going shopping once a week with 3 weans and getting 1 box of cereal a week and 3 weans fighting over the cereal them the toy in that box every week

Evil nuns running schools

Your Grandad turning up at your hoose pished in his slippers bumming a few fags then asking my dad to pay the £12 taxi in the days when fags were £1.50 a packet

Your da letting his old man sleep it aff in your bed, then when you went to your bed that night it was fucking reeking

Staple diets of a child of the 80's - Findus crispy pancakes (beef n onion)/Pot Noodles/a fry up every Saturday and Sunday/Super Noodles/Home-made chips every fucking day in life/burgers and gammon steaks oot a tin/bacon frys (thin strips out the pack, 40 secs each side)/SPAM/liver and onions

My old bhoy complaining to my mam, 'enough of this fucking foreign shite' - over spag bol !
There wasn't a chinese or Indian in existence in Inverclyde then

Solripe/Alpine - Canni remember - we used to get a crate of 6 mixed soft drinks

Soda Streams

Roy of the Rovers

Pie rolls at school

Your maw and paw sending you to the shops with a note and money tae buy fags

Kensitas coupons - in later years they stopped it cos everybody was using them for roach

Star Wars figures

The Excorcist

Watching every Rocky Film every day then watching either Superman or Star Wars

The 'Tally' van - 3 times a night, buying singles

I'm that old i remember a grocery van

The bacon bhoys - used to deliver bacon

Tablet & Macaroon

Paperbhoys

My first carry out was 2 Tennents Supers
Scrumpy Jack

Strawberry Double Dips
Micro Dots

The Word with Terry Christian

The Hitman and Her

Bullseye

Knight Rider

The A Team

TJ Hooker

Knightrider - naw SP

Twin Peaks

Right i'm fucked again, i'm that stuck in the past, i'm away to watch Trainspotting, not seen it since it was out

Sometimes i think i have survivors guilt about such a great upbringing, is that a thing....

Last edited:
You forgot Mivvis and frozen Jubilees from Wullie Gibson's at the bottom of Bank Street where Chic Murray was born all those years before
Wullie was a big happy guy who had a kind word for everyone gave tic to those who paid him back on a Friday
He Rowe's man's shop that sold the latest gear, fairisle jumpers, some with a zipper and Levi Stayprest trousers and Terry shoes, barathea blazers, the auldies will know, the young Yin's will scoff
I started my first part time job at 12 delivering the local paper after school, then worked on a tally van, a couple of nights a week at 15, again after school
Going round the schemes and meeting all kinds of scallywags
We even got held up and robbed by a couple of Jamesie Cotter look alike a, fucking teddy boys who were in their twenties and advised us to remain silent, which we did
I laughed years later, when I saw the film comfort and joy and that scene played out when the attacked the van
There's so much more but the memory bank fades the older I get, but appreciate you posting STG, not that I need reminding where I'm from, but I enjoy your reminiscing cos I'm from the same background, as are so many of us on here
No silver spoons anywhere in the family, but the sense of community lives in in our hearts and minds
And that's me sober
YNWA ya loveable bamstick

Last edited:
You forgot Mivvis and frozen Jubilees from Wullie Gibson at the bottom of Bank Street where Chic was born all those years before
Wullie was a big happy guy who had a knod word for everyone gave tic to those who paid him back on. Friday
He Rowe's man's ship that sold the latest gear, fairisle jumpers, some with a zipper and Levi Stayprest trousers and Terry shoes, barathea blazers, the auldies will know, the young Yin's will scoff
I started my first part time job at 12 delivering the local paper after school, then worked a couple of nights a week at 15 again after school
We even got held up and robbed by a couple of Jamesie Cotter look alike a, fucking teddy boys who were in their twenties and advised us to remain silent, which we did
I laughed years later, when I saw the film comfort and joy and that scene played out when the attacked the van
There's so much more but the memory bank fades the older I get, but appreciate you posting STG, not that I need reminding where I'm from, but I enjoy your reminiscing cos I'm from the same background, as are so many of us on here
No silver spoons anywhere in the family, but the sense of community lives in in our hearts and minds
And that's me sober
Imagine forgetting Wullie Gibsons, Burtons, Cragburn ....
i'm ashamed

Some great stories of the memories, i had a laugh and a tear to be honest reading some of them.
I start this shit off pished, tell it like it really is, wake up next day, read the first line and delete it, then regret doing same. Old school, let the guard down and your first reaction is to retreat .....

I delete because i don't know how to handle (sober) what i think but dinnae say out loud ever...
Its what i love about this place, in my time here theres so many that have clearly had a moment or several and this is the place they can let it out. No matter what you feel and no matter what you say, there are kind folk on here that see it for what it is and have a kind word. You regret being that fucking open cos it takes you to be utterly fucked to say it even to people you've never met.

My struggle with the odd outburst is becuase its really always me trying to make sense of whats went before, recognising whats been written before but only now being mature enough to come to terms with it. I think becoming a father has been the making of me, its my joy, i'm better at it than anything else.
But walking in those shoes like many before me, I really struggle with how naive i was to whats went before me and the ignorance i've shown to the people that were always on my team. I guess thats something many of us will live with.

I suppose the early years will always be our finest and many of us were LUCKY to be brought up in poverty of some kind. I maintain to this day, where you find poverty you'll see a community.
There is no community these days because even those that are skint, couldn't hold a candle to the olden days version of SKINT. They'd have a rechargable fucking LED.

I'm the first to admit that i have a good living, i work fucking hard for what i have but i'm fortunate. At the same time, i'm a busy bhoy and its mostly because i refuse to take the piss out of people. I've never advertised in 25 years of business so all of my work comes from word of mouth, 99% say, 'i heard you don't take the piss with fee's and your relatable but straight to the point'
As my old man used to say to me, 'when you wake up in the morning, your job is to graft for your family and you'll take pride when you graft with everything you've got. Go home tired, you can be satisfied with an honest day, just don't be one of those that are rich in wealth by stealing others honest money for your own end or sponging aff the system'.

My folks were honest and survived on my old bhoys wages alone, piss poor as a teenager and throughout his 20's. He could have sat in the house sponging and they would have been better off financially. We would have been better off too as we'd see our old man more than the 1 day a week we had for years.

Knowing now what i knew then but didn't understand, that's what really sticks out for me about the people they were. I've said before, we had fuck all, but we had everything we needed. Thinking back now, we ate better than i do now, we had clothes that were anyhting but cheap looking back at pictures. My folks pride wasn't a car, the new TV, etc. Their pride was knowing deep down, they spent every hard earned fucking penny on us and not themselves or 4 cans of breakers.

A few things that might bring the memories back for some, stick out like sore thumbs for me.... bear in mind we stayed a fucking mile from anything, we stayed in a scheme that was about a mile from the farms so what was relevant to us might not be to others

Having to walk in the toon as it was downhill, but the walk back was like a munro so you got a bus. It was free for the 3 kids, either way, but my maw wouldn't pay 25p for a bus when you could walk it down a hill.

Tweed fucking trousers, matching pair for you and your brother... as big billy said, tweed was a mixture of Camel pubes and Barbed wire'

Going shopping once a week with 3 weans and getting 1 box of cereal a week and 3 weans fighting over the cereal them the toy in that box every week

Your Grandad turning up at your hoose pished in his slippers bumming a few fags then asking my dad to pay the £12 taxi in the days when fags were £1.50 a packet

Your da letting his old man sleep it aff in your bed, then when you went to your bed that night it was fucking reeking

Your faither and Maw arguing about his old man.... 'aye he's a fucking drunk like you say, but he's my fucking dad and no matter how right you are, you'll go before that man for what he's done for me' (my paw was very respectful of my mum, a gentleman always, he rarely dug his heels in, he wasn't pussy whipped, far from it, he knew my maw was sound and very genuine, but even though she was in the right, thats the only time he wouldn't back down.

Staple diets of a child of the 80's - Findus crispy pancakes (beef n onion)/Pot Noodles/a fry up every Saturday and Sunday/Super Noodles/Home-made chips every fucking day in life/burgers and gammon steaks oot a tin/bacon frys (thin strips out the pack, 40 secs each side)/SPAM/liver and onions

My old bhoy complaining to my mam, 'enough of this fucking foreign shite' - over spag bol !

Soda Streams

Roy of the Rovers

Pie rolls at school

Kensitas coupons - in later years they stopped it cos everybody was using them for roach

Star Wars figures

The Excorcist

Tablet & Macaroon

Paperbhoys

Scrumpy Jack

Strawberry Double Dips
Micro Dots

The Hitman and Her

Bullseye

Knight Rider

The A Team

TJ Hooker

Knightrider - naw SP

Twin Peaks

David Gray being good

Right i'm fucked again, i'm that stuck in the past, i'm away to watch Trainspotting, not seen it since it was out

Sometimes i think i have survivors guilt about such a great upbringing, is that a thing....
Lot's to recognise in your story, STG; total respect to you.

Knowing now what i knew then but didn't understand, that's what really sticks out for me about the people they were. I've said before, we had fuck all, but we had everything we needed. Thinking back now, we ate better than i do now, we had clothes that were anyhting but cheap looking back at pictures. My folks pride wasn't a car, the new TV, etc. Their pride was knowing they spent every hard earned fucking penny on us and not themselves or 4 cans of breakers.

Soda Streams

Roy of the Rovers

Pie rolls at school

Star Wars figures

The Excorcist

Tablet & Macaroon

Paperbhoys

Scrumpy Jack

Strawberry Double Dips
Micro Dots

The Hitman and Her

Bullseye

Knight Rider

The A Team

TJ Hooker

Knightrider - naw SP

Twin Peaks

Absolutely fckn brilliant ma mhan…

Imagine forgetting Wullie Gibsons, Burtons, Cragburn ....
i'm ashamed
I was brought up for the first nine years of my life, on Charles street, Burtons tailors was the next block up, and Burtons dance hall was further up, many a time was there altercations on the weekend outside, as the street had 3 pubs in a short two block area and Saturday night was like 'shoot out (minus the firearms of course) at the OK Corral' Burton's was well known for pugilistic activities, especially when the sailors from the Holy Loch were in town, 'looking for love' (US submarine base across the river) near Dunoon, hence the expression about several of young ladies, who would take the Dunoon ferry to go over and enjoy Dunoon's nightlife, and the company of said same submariners from across the Atlantic, of an evening I remember laughing, after encountering a not so genteel female, who was the worse for drink, and was shouting at everyone who passed by, with the drink, she was obnoxious and obviously looking for trouble, and my mate said said "Ach away hame hen" He then turned to us as we walked along and said "FFS, ah widnae hit that a butt at Burton's" STG, Mag7, Andy H, all good Bhoys from the Shire...you can take the Bhoy out of Greenock...HH

Last edited:
You forgot Mivvis and frozen Jubilees from Wullie Gibson's at the bottom of Bank Street where Chic Murray was born all those years before
Wullie was a big happy guy who had a kind word for everyone gave tic to those who paid him back on a Friday
He Rowe's man's shop that sold the latest gear, fairisle jumpers, some with a zipper and Levi Stayprest trousers and Terry shoes, barathea blazers, the auldies will know, the young Yin's will scoff
I started my first part time job at 12 delivering the local paper after school, then worked on a tally van, a couple of nights a week at 15, again after school
And that's me sober
Chic Murray wow what a blast fae the past many so called comedians could learn from watching a master at work.
I hate ( not criminally or anything) comedians who laugh at their own jokes and chic was superb at straight faced comedy , even the simplest joke said with straight face was hilarious.
" I was walking doon the road wan day, you know, wan foot in front of the other" pure class and the inspiration for Billy connelly ( Billy said as much himself) 👏

I rang the bell of this small bed-and breakfast place, whereupon a lady appeared at an outside window. “What do you want?”, she asked. “I want to stay here”, I replied. “Well, stay there then”, she said and closed the window.

I got up this morning. I like to get up in the morning; it gives me the rest of the day to myself. I crossed the landing and went down stairs. Mind you, if there had been no stairs, I wouldn’t even have attempted it. - Chic Murray

These are dated but as another good comedian once said " it's the way I tell them"

Comedy will suffer from this hate crime legislation I believe 100% how could it not?
Hate speech is one thing, but I wonder if there's been something put into the drinking water
Instead of the powers that be, concentrating on important things, they'll appease the tiktok crowd, and the 'social influencers' (when the fuck did THAT become a thing?) My granda's would be spinning in their graves seeing that stuff
I've run into a few in my time 'on the tools' no doubt many of you have, nothing surprises me any more, and that's why Aliens fly right past our planet
You only have to look at what's going on in the States to see that

Hate speech is one thing, but I wonder if there's been something put into the drinking water
Instead of the powers that be, concentrating on important things, they'll appease the tiktok crowd, and the 'social influencers' (when the fuck did THAT become a thing?) My granda's would be spinning in their graves seeing that stuff
I've run into a few in my time 'on the tools' no doubt many of you have, nothing surprises me any more, and that's why Aliens fly right past our planet
You only have to look at what's going on in the States to see that
I've always believed DILL, when the govt here rolls out something as controversial as this it tends to be a headline grabbing cover for something more important that's going on in the real world that they'd rather we don't focus on.
Like the number of boats just casually landing on British shores, or the number of bent MET coppers about to be charged for some sordid crime , the arms sold to the Saudis at the same time as telly adverts are asking Joe public to fund the aid effort to Yemen.
No doubt we'll soon see and hear what this nonsense is supposed to distract us from

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back