Who could replace Neil Lennon

Lenny has a few from this season
He should have done better with us first time around but we remember the men in black back then
He went to Bolton ..... any manager was bound to fail there at that time
Hibs... thought he did pretty well there, no doubt his first experience of the new soft player, lost it for that reason,
Took that softly approach to Celtic and here we are. He's an old style manager, played in a different generation and it starting to show

In not implying you have said it Shadow, but it baffles me when people come on here and say he's hopeless this and that. Most managers would happily retire with his record. I'm not saying he's Mourinho either,

He's having a bad season as ALL managers do, no more, no less

That's the thing mate even though I wasn't in favour of Lenny getting the job again I've always played the ball and not the man anytime I've been critical of him, whether that's been his tactics, team set-ups, team selections, game management etc. because I loved Lenny the player and I have huge respect for Lenny the man which is why I have never called him hopeless, called for his sacking or descended into the gutter by resorting to personal abuse of the guy.

He'll always be a Celtic legend as far as I'm concerned but as a manager I think he's limited and I think Celtic as a club need to set their sights a bit higher.

That's the thing mate even though I wasn't in favour of Lenny getting the job again I've always played the ball and not the man anytime I've been critical of him, whether that's been his tactics, team set-ups, team selections, game management etc. because I loved Lenny the player and I have huge respect for Lenny the man which is why I have never called him hopeless, called for his sacking or descended into the gutter by resorting to personal abuse of the guy.

He'll always be a Celtic legend as far as I'm concerned but as a manager I think he's limited and I think Celtic as a club need to set their sights a bit higher.
nailed it, patricularly at the end

Perfectly valid suggestions from Glasbhoy81 if ye ask me. Whit's wrong with having a bit of ambition? Or have we just given up on that? :unsure:

They're certainly far better suggestions than the lazy unimaginative thinking that's seen Gordon Strachan and MON's names mentioned or the inane 'a good Celtic man who knows the club' pish which is the very same blinkered outlook that has got us into this mess in the first place!
Not sure who we could entice TBH. If we want a manager who brings in his own team, decides on signings, etc then we need a strong character who will tell Desmond that if he comes in then he’s not taking any shit from Lawell. Period.
Do you think Lennon did that? Or Lambert, Ross and so on would? Can’t comment on the guys Glasbhoy mentioned. Perhaps they would. My quip about Klopp was about strength of character as well as ability.
Unfortunately I can’t see any decent manager putting up with Lawell’s shite.

Not sure who we could entice TBH. If we want a manager who brings in his own team, decides on signings, etc then we need a strong character who will tell Desmond that if he comes in then he’s not taking any shit from Lawell. Period.
Do you think Lennon did that? Or Lambert, Ross and so on would? Can’t comment on the guys Glasbhoy mentioned. Perhaps they would. My quip about Klopp was about strength of character as well as ability.
Unfortunately I can’t see any decent manager putting up with Lawell’s shite.

We'll never know until we ask mate and show a bit of ambition in who we ask.

Completely agree that with Lawell in the mix enticing any of the managers Glasbhoy listed would be an uphill struggle that's why he NEEDS to go. Lawell is more culpable than anybody for the position we find ourselves in now and no matter what manager we bring in after Lenny we would only end up right back here in a couple of years time if Lawell remains. Change is needed just as much in the boardroom as it is in the manager's office.

Whatever happens though we NEED to modernise, we need structural change at every level throughout the club and we need to show more ambition in how we approach the whole thing otherwise we'll continue to stagnate and find ourselves back here again and again. (y)

We'll never know until we ask mate and show a bit of ambition in who we ask.

Completely agree that with Lawell in the mix enticing any of the managers Glasbhoy listed would be an uphill struggle that's why he NEEDS to go. Lawell is more culpable than anybody for the position we find ourselves in now and no matter what manager we bring in after Lenny we would only end up right back here in a couple of years time if Lawell remains. Change is needed just as much in the boardroom as it is in the manager's office.

Whatever happens though we NEED to modernise, we need structural change at every level throughout the club and we need to show more ambition in how we approach the whole thing otherwise we'll continue to stagnate and find ourselves back here again and again. (y)
You have to start at someone of the ilk of Benitez proven, (in no way a yes man though) and as good as we could possibly get. Lot of wonga to get him but i'd rather pay him 5 million a year than 10 diddy's a million a year

The Celtic job ain't an easy job, even when it should be, it isn't
So a certain type of character who has managed at top level club
but i always like a manager that has at some stage done it with lesser teams, shows a humility and an ability to lift a team higher than they should be at

You have to start at someone of the ilk of Benitez proven, (in no way a yes man though) and as good as we could possibly get. Lot of wonga to get him but i'd rather pay him 5 million a year than 10 diddy's a million a year

The Celtic job ain't an easy job, even when it should be, it isn't
So a certain type of character who has managed at top level club
but i always like a manager that has at some stage done it with lesser teams, shows a humility and an ability to lift a team higher than they should be at

I like Benitez he's a top tier manager but I think guys in that bracket are probably outwith our reach, that said if ye don't ask you'll never know so nothing wrong with being bold and asking the question.

Your point about a manager being able to lift a team to a higher level than what they'd otherwise be at and doing it at clubs where money isn't tossed around like confetti is spot on and is exactly the type of manager we should be looking at.

It was that that was behind my thinking when I suggested Laurent Blanc as a good candidate the other week. What he achieved at Bordeaux both domestically and in Europe with a fraction of the money available to his rivals was nothing short of phenomenal, he again swept the board with PSG (granted with more cash available) and he is now apparently champing at the bit for a new challenge after a few years out the game.

I think he'd be a top class appointment and as he isn't attached to a club at the moment there would be no big compensation package to be paid and like you say I'd rather pay a top class manager who can take everybody up a level a decent wedge than piss away yet many more millions on a couple of hope for the best projects.

Our teams/club needs an identity.
At the same time as appointing a manager, we need to relinquish the grip the Fat Controller has and get a real Director of Football. Tell the finance people to fuck off back to adding and subtracting, not watching scouting video's FFS.
The DOF needs to be the constant at the Club, managers will come and go, but we need them to implement a style and an adaptable formation thats been taught throughout the youths. A strategic long term plan rather than whats going wrong now. Not changing our formation like boxer shorts and signing players to suit a formation thats changed constantly throughout the season. Over the years you appoint managers that buy into the style you've ingrained.
I'd say that appointment would in the long run be as important as the managerial appointment.
Get the Celtic Way drummed into these youth's early doors so we have teams that attack every fucking team that dares sets foot on oor hallowed turf. Attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack the b'stards
Then we'll bring the thunder, white lightning and hailstones to the party

I'd love for the last 10 years to be the next 10, but i'm not daft. We'll win what we win, but i'd rather watch football played properly by a mix of experienced and youngish bhoys coming through than hand fortunes to some of these lazy mercenaries that trample all over clubs proud being.

This. It shouldn't be this hard. Celtic had a clearly defined philosphy in '67 and yet we don't have one now! I don't see Hammond as the answer but maybe he has his hands tied. This is definitely the way to go in modern football: board, recruitment team and management/ coaching staff all on the same page. All hired with a vision.

Fair play to Glasbhoy81 for sticking your neck out and suggesting. Nothing infuriates me more than folk screaming for the sacking of Lennon without a suggestion, or a vague suggestion, or even worse a Lambert/ Strachan/ Keane/ Moyes/ MoN etc suggestion.

I'd love Rangnick either as head coach or DoF. He has a clear tactical identity, bags of experience and most of all he has clout! He taught Nagelsmann all he knows about football! A dream? Maybe. But Rodgers seemed an unlikely appointment too that I didn't believe until it was announced.

I don't think we were too far wrong with Deila. A young, progressive coach up on sports science who had visited Europe's greatest clubs learning their practices. He was just a bit too much of an unknown, too inexperienced which makes sense when he was lined up as an Assistant then thrust into the top job. Someone like Potter would have been a good choice before he came to England, or even after Swansea. Could Eddie Howe be that man? Look what Kjetil Knutsen is doing at Bodo/ Glimt. The board are paid to have a list of these types of potential managers on a sheet of paper locked away in a safe. Their whole business is football, their livelihood is football!

One thing that has crossed my mind here is that I have lost track of the number of times where a manager has supposedly had the ‘support’ of the board and 2 weeks later he’s gone.
If they are doing something behind Lenny’s back they are not going to tell him. Revealing to the current guy that you are looking for a replacement will not work out well. He will simply chuck it and wait for his payoff. If the players get wind of this they will chuck it too. Looking at Neil I sometimes think he has indeed chucked it. He looks demotivated and uninterested.
Although if any if this were the case thus would make the club statement somewhat strange. Better to just say nothing and let Neil make the support claims. On the other hand if you are trying to conceal things from the players this might make sense.
Is this all too conspiratorial? Am I becoming delusional too?

One thing that has crossed my mind here is that I have lost track of the number of times where a manager has supposedly had the ‘support’ of the board and 2 weeks later he’s gone.
If they are doing something behind Lenny’s back they are not going to tell him. Revealing to the current guy that you are looking for a replacement will not work out well. He will simply chuck it and wait for his payoff. If the players get wind of this they will chuck it too. Looking at Neil I sometimes think he has indeed chucked it. He looks demotivated and uninterested.
Although if any if this were the case thus would make the club statement somewhat strange. Better to just say nothing and let Neil make the support claims. On the other hand if you are trying to conceal things from the players this might make sense.
Is this all too conspiratorial? Am I becoming delusional too?

I've heard madder theories mate......think between watching our team struggle in the 10 season and the obvious struggles 2020 has brought we've aw lost the plot a bit! 🤪😂(y)

This. It shouldn't be this hard. Celtic had a clearly defined philosphy in '67 and yet we don't have one now! I don't see Hammond as the answer but maybe he has his hands tied. This is definitely the way to go in modern football: board, recruitment team and management/ coaching staff all on the same page. All hired with a vision.

Fair play to Glasbhoy81 for sticking your neck out and suggesting. Nothing infuriates me more than folk screaming for the sacking of Lennon without a suggestion, or a vague suggestion, or even worse a Lambert/ Strachan/ Keane/ Moyes/ MoN etc suggestion.

I'd love Rangnick either as head coach or DoF. He has a clear tactical identity, bags of experience and most of all he has clout! He taught Nagelsmann all he knows about football! A dream? Maybe. But Rodgers seemed an unlikely appointment too that I didn't believe until it was announced.

I don't think we were too far wrong with Deila. A young, progressive coach up on sports science who had visited Europe's greatest clubs learning their practices. He was just a bit too much of an unknown, too inexperienced which makes sense when he was lined up as an Assistant then thrust into the top job. Someone like Potter would have been a good choice before he came to England, or even after Swansea. Could Eddie Howe be that man? Look what Kjetil Knutsen is doing at Bodo/ Glimt. The board are paid to have a list of these types of potential managers on a sheet of paper locked away in a safe. Their whole business is football, their livelihood is football!
God Bless the Pope !
This one makes sense though

Spot on 👏

I like Benitez he's a top tier manager but I think guys in that bracket are probably outwith our reach, that said if ye don't ask you'll never know so nothing wrong with being bold and asking the question.

Your point about a manager being able to lift a team to a higher level than what they'd otherwise be at and doing it at clubs where money isn't tossed around like confetti is spot on and is exactly the type of manager we should be looking at.

It was that that was behind my thinking when I suggested Laurent Blanc as a good candidate the other week. What he achieved at Bordeaux both domestically and in Europe with a fraction of the money available to his rivals was nothing short of phenomenal, he again swept the board with PSG (granted with more cash available) and he is now apparently champing at the bit for a new challenge after a few years out the game.

I think he'd be a top class appointment and as he isn't attached to a club at the moment there would be no big compensation package to be paid and like you say I'd rather pay a top class manager who can take everybody up a level a decent wedge than piss away yet many more millions on a couple of hope for the best projects.
If anybody wants their nose turned up then have a look at the bookies favourites, hardly inspiring,
Lauren Blanc has a great record, like every manager has had a blip in there, he's the sort that would recognise the size of the club having played there

Lets be honest here.......I for one was over the moon when we appointed Rodgers....When he was at Liverpool, I thought, wow I would love him as a manager....and when he came to us, I thought.....we have done the impossible...getting a manager like Brendan Rodgers....the rest is history......but, when we got him, I was chuffed....so yes, maybe he was a Celtic minded, but we still got one of the best managers...and he delivered with the invincible season and more...So yes we can attract the best.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back