A new element of fans

NFL, as far as I'm concerned, is and always will be a club legend. Having got that out of the way, I also have to say I'm disappointed in the fact that he hasn't accepted his share of responsibility for the aberration of this season past. Let's be in no doubt, the word "share" is entirely appropriate. The failure was of a collective nature. Manager, boardroom, scouting, players. Not one of those departments performed anywhere near good enough. Lenny, being the manager, quite rightly carried the can. On a personal note, I have put it behind me. The ten wasn't to be. I'm no less a Celtic supporter because of that fact. Managers, like players, CEO's, chairmen, coaches etc come and go. The one constant is the supporters. We pretty much share the same hopes and dreams when it comes to The Hoops. Our opinions will not always be the same on the many aspects surrounding our club. But we all hope for the same outcome. The one thing I would add is that I will never identify with anyone who resorts to throwing anything or indeed resorts to any kind of violence when thinking they're making a point. And before someone chooses to remind me, yes, I do know it was a minority. Let's leave that shit to the George Sq morons.
Well thought out and very respectful as always Frank. I do think Neil should be showing more humility ...seems he is simply fashioning a future for himself and showing no regard for the Celtic support . Really disappointing from him in my opinion. He should have recognised the frustration and whilst not condoning the bus chasers he could have said he understood the anger whilst condeming the unwanted behaviour. He is now coming out to defend his position at a time when we are desperate to move on and kickstart our recovery. ...seems Neil currently only cares about his own future. HH

The MSM are a shower of c*nts no doubt about that Docco but if Lenny didnae say what's being reported then he could easily come out and say so otherwise people will continue believing he did say it.

More to the point, Lenny isnae some naive guy who is completely oblivious to how the MSM operates so if he is being misquoted then maybe he should be a bit more careful about who he gives interviews to.

No everything is a conspiracy mate, sometimes things are just what they appear to be.

Which is probably why he gave the interview to The Times......no doubt those were his answers but how were the questions put to him...

Well thought out and very respectful as always Frank. I do think Neil should be showing more humility ...seems he is simply fashioning a future for himself and showing no regard for the Celtic support . Really disappointing from him in my opinion. He should have recognised the frustration and whilst not condoning the bus chasers he could have said he understood the anger whilst condeming the unwanted behaviour. He is now coming out to defend his position at a time when we are desperate to move on and kickstart our recovery. ...seems Neil currently only cares about his own future. HH
Thanks for the reply M7 I don't think there's much difference in the way we feel about what is a situation we as supporters don't want to hear or read about at this time. Another day? Yes, absolutely. For the meantime though, we've more important things to concern us.

As an ''older'' supporter I feel that I am in as good a position to stick up for Neil Lennon as any on here .

I am every bit as disgusted at the season just passed as any ''new breed of fan''.
I am hurting as much as anyone in the GB or the Toddler Brigade or whatever you wish to call fan groups . We all are !

Neil is also hurting - he wouldn't be human if he wasn't . He has given a lot to Celtic - and suffered terribly for doing so and did not receive one iota of the sympathy from the media that Kamara got for allegedly being called a Fx*$"! .
That was shameful and did not reflect well on them or the football authorities who STILL do not take any action against the main perpetrators of hatred in our game ( nor implement the Financial Fair Play rules that are completely ignored down at Confetti Heaven )

For Neil to suggest that some fans are not real Celtic supporters ( that I think is the implication of his comments ) is too much .
Yes he was criticised for his failings as a coach , severely at times but supporting a football team is an emotional business .
Remember , Neil , you wanted to bring the 'Thunder back '' - well , that can bring lightning too when the storm hits - and by God it hit last season .

It was with a heavy heart that many supporters ( young and not so young ) called for a change of leadership - and NOT just after the Ross County fiasco . If you are honest with yourself , Neil , the signs were clearly there early in the season . You admitted yourself long before Dubai that some players were not at the races as far as commitment to the club was concerned .

We were all sad to see you go in such circumstances . But the supporters ire was NOT directed at you but at The Celtic Board who were ultimately responsible for allowing a bad situation in October to deteriorate into the fiasco of the second half of the season .
Even the players who were criticised for their poor attitude and lack of ''Thunder'' on the park were spared the real wrath of the fans .
The Board has , rightly , been the focus of fans' fury .

Neil is still too close to events and probably needs to allow the emotions ( and they are running high in everyone ) to die down and THEN assess what has been a traumatic year for all of us connected to the club.
Neil Lennon will always be regarded as a huge figure at Celtic - comparisons with other great figures is unnecessary and ill-judged at this time .

He was a courageous figure while at Celtic , as player and coach , and NO ONE has ever had to endure the scandalous abuse heaped upon him for simply being who he was .

He needs to be cut some slack now .

HH
👏👏👏(y)

Which is probably why he gave the interview to The Times......no doubt those were his answers but how were the questions put to him...

How are The Times any different to the red tops! Their copy is filled with the exact same shite you see in the Daily Record, The Scum etc.

What does it matter 'how the questions were put to him' mate?

Like I said he's no naive, he knows fine well how they operate so he didnae have to answer them if he thought they were deliberately loaded questions set-up to create a headline but he did and they have. He chose to do the interview, he chose to say what he did, so that's on him.

How are The Times any different to the red tops! Their copy is filled with the exact same shite you see in the Daily Record, The Scum etc.

Like I said he's no naive, he knows fine well how they operate so he didnae have to answer them if he thought they were deliberately loaded questions set-up to create a headline but he did and they have. He chose to do the interview, he chose to say what he did, so that's on him.
Good points as always S2. I remember a good number of years back reading a story about Lenny's mistrust of the press. This was during his playing career down south. It was supposed to be about Lenny's international involvement with NI. Purely football. The journo ( sorry I don't remember the bloke or which paper he worked for ) asked Lenny if he thought Ireland should take a lead from the rugby guys and pick players from both sides of the border ? Lenny replied that he thought it might be worth considering. Next day the headline was moved from sport pages to front page. NEIL LENNON WANTS A UNITED IRELAND. Having defended Lenny on The Noise I have to say I do wonder why he would involve himself with the MSM. Perhaps I'm guilty of tarring them all with the same brush.

Lennon continues to deflect from his own culpability and ineptitude by blaming the fans at the same time as lauding the architects of this disaster as far as I’m concerned he can f@@k off and take the other two with him. And I’m not a new breed of fan just sentient not the type the plc want.

Good points as always S2. I remember a good number of years back reading a story about Lenny's mistrust of the press. This was during his playing career down south. It was supposed to be about Lenny's international involvement with NI. Purely football. The journo ( sorry I don't remember the bloke or which paper he worked for ) asked Lenny if he thought Ireland should take a lead from the rugby guys and pick players from both sides of the border ? Lenny replied that he thought it might be worth considering. Next day the headline was moved from sport pages to front page. NEIL LENNON WANTS A UNITED IRELAND. Having defended Lenny on The Noise I have to say I do wonder why he would involve himself with the MSM. Perhaps I'm guilty of tarring them all with the same brush.

☝️A perfect example of why he should know better by now mate.

Most of us had moved on from this but at a time when tensions are running as high as ever again he's chosen to kick this particular hornet's nest now. Why? What good has it done?

All he's achieved by giving that interview is to reinforce the perception that he's a guy who would rather lash out and blame other people (and incredibly the very people who had zero control over the unfolding mess at Celtic) instead of taking responsibility for his own failures and shortcomings.....which seems to be a common trait amongst those in positions of power at Celtic these days!

Look, he's going to be writing for the Times so the editor has probably said to him,' We need a good headline to publicise your column for the forthcoming Euro's. Can you say something that will get them all going, what about the protests at Celtic Park?'
And as he's getting paid by them he gave them what they wanted.
Pretty low if you ask me.

The times is completely different from the record, Sun etc...these papers thrive on sensational click bait headlines

"Lennon blasts Celtic Fans 'giving club a bad name'" !!!!!
Sensation!!! Controversy!!!Get the pitch forks out
!!!

what was actually said
After the first cup loss in 4 years...
"They were getting pelted with missiles. It was very sad. There was a new breed of supporters that I had nothing in common with and who belie the values of the club.
They are the ones that are giving the club a bad name."

and he was quite right to say it!!!

The times is completely different from the record, Sun etc...these papers thrive on sensational click bait headlines

!!!

what was actually said
"They were getting pelted with missiles. It was very sad. There was a new breed of supporters that I had nothing in common with and who belie the values of the club.

All about the context Docco. Course he can say what he wants, but he's only saying it now to be controversial and satisfy his new masters.
And thats the same reason he's never admitted HIS part in the disastrous Season thats just gone.
He picked the teams and formations, never once did he say the buck stops here, even when he was in the job.

!!!

what was actually said

Maybe he could have dropped in that although he disagreed with the fans he understood their anger. Also, I don't believe the guy has the right to judge anyone when it comes to the values of the club. Here is a guy taking millions from celtic, along with his paymasters, criticising ordinary men and woman who have paid a lot of cash into something they love in the full knowledge they weren't even going to get to see them play.....sitting there giving an interview to a media who actively seek to give our club a fucking bad name at any opportunity. Yes Neil, you have fuck all in common with the fans, nothing at all. The fans spend their hard earned money on Celtic. You took and took. And now you go after this "new breed" for daring to get angry. And when NL has his cushy media job will he pay for his seat at paradise.....Will he fuck!!!

!!!

what was actually said

Or he could have said this was monumental for the supporters in this season of all seasons....we were in the middle of a pandemic were we already felt we were held to different standards ..we totally got it wrong with our personnel and I have to take responsibility for that. We needed the Celtic supporters in paradise and unfortunately it didn't happen. The scenes we saw as a result of our failure on the park are a result of the unfortunate and unfamiliar behaviour which spilled over from a minority but I don't seek to blame .
I have to say it is incredible that the Celtic support didn't celebrate the unprecedented quadruple treble and remained dignified and respectfull to human life during this pandemic ...they are indeed a unique breed of supporters ...an amazing support like no other. Howzat. HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back