A Wee bit of Music Nostalgia ..Post it here

Being sexually abused by her own mother when she was a young child no doubt contributed a lot to her mental health issues as she got older.
I cant say I was a fan of sinead the musician myself
Was very young though when she was around and the prince cover song was an all time classic. To improve on a prince original takes some going and guarantees you a place in history
It was that good it eventually became annoying really….
She was clearly suffering over the years but as my maw always says, if you’ve met anybody Irish and they’re not bonkers, you should view it as the equivalent of meeting a unicorn 😂
She ended her career ripping up the picture of the pope on live TV
There was a lot wrong with Rc church at that time and they were in denial about what was to come out later.
She had the courage in her convictions unlike many before and after her. I respect her for that
Hopefully she’s found peace at last ❤️

Slate me if you want but this song was sung by my Auld Man many a time in the days when we all had a" sing its your turn "in the house.....this was his signature. Brings back many great memories today on the news of the Legend Tony Bennett leaving us.
It could almost be a Celtic song ....Because of You 💚
I like all sorts of stuff myself.
I can go from led zep to Pavarotti then Oasis/Bowie and Oscar Peterson
If that’s your old man’s song, hearing it will open a portal back to a place in time that you wish was real and not a memory.
You have no need to explain away a song so special. It’s yours and I’m glad you shared it. I liked it before, now I have a reason to love it. Till the day I walk this earth no more, when I hear that song and it may only be once or twice, I’ll think of you and the big man.
That’s the power of music.
Me and my dad had a frosty time in my teen years. We would argue a lot and not talk for days on end. Then one day my bedroom door would swing open and my old man would be like ‘what’s that song, whose that band’. I was also a sponge for his love of the 60’s and 70’s.
For a long time, that was our only connection. I can sit here now and say that years later if there’s a birthday/Father’s Day/Xmas coming I’ll buy tickets for me and him to go to a gig. He loves it, family started at 18, he missed out on a lot for us. I overheard/eavesdropped his saying to my Canadian cousin during week ‘his brother and sister buy me material gifts and I’m truly grateful, but he buys me lifetime experiences and memories, ffs he even goes with me into the bargain.
Hearing that, WOW, that’s why I do it and to hear him say it.
We’ve both went to see Roger Waters, Eagles, ELO, CSN, Neil Young, Oasis, Blur, Coldplay, David Byrne, Jean Michel Jarre, Prince, Paul Weller to name a few.
My maw, anytime I hear a song from the 80’s, I think her standing in the kitchen doing dishes or the like and singing away.
I was there and never twigged till later in life, when your everyday life features that woman, when she’s singing away, no matter the song, she’s in a good place and that’s a life moment for a kid to be in whether they realise or not.

I heard a song once stoned, ‘the flash of a distant camera, reconnects thoughts and actions, fragments of our missing dreams’

I looked out old photos, hadn’t seen them in decades. Every single one I looked at, opened the portal back to that moment in my life. All of a sudden I could remember the surroundings, the smells, the weather, what happened before, what happened later, mostly it made me realise that I spent a life in a really happy place without realising it

A song can do the same m8. Me, I really listen to music that takes me to a happy place.

Cherish the memories and fill this page with what made you and your folks happy …

If that’s your old man’s song, hearing it will open a portal back to a place in time that you wish was real and not a memory.
You have no need to explain away a song so special. It’s yours and I’m glad you shared it. I liked it before, now I have a reason to love it. Till the day I walk this earth no more, when I hear that song and it may only be once or twice, I’ll think of you and the big man.
Me and my dad had a frosty time in my teen years. We would argue a lot and not talk for days on end. Then one day my bedroom door would swing open and my old man would be like ‘what’s that song, whose that band’. I was also a sponge for his love of the 60’s and 70’s.
For a long time, that was our only connection. I can sit here now and say that years later if there’s a birthday/Father’s Day/Xmas coming I’ll buy tickets for me and him to go to a gig. He loves it, family started at 18, he missed out on a lot for us. I overheard/eavesdropped his saying to my Canadian cousin during week ‘his brother and sister buy me material gifts and I’m truly grateful, but he buys me lifetime experiences and memories, ffs he even goes with me into the bargain.
We’ve both went to see Roger Waters, Eagles, ELO, CSN, Neil Young, Oasis, Blur, Coldplay, David Byrne, Jean Michel Jarre, Prince, Paul Weller to name a few.
My maw, anytime I hear a song from the 80’s, I think her standing in the kitchen doing dishes or the like and singing away.
I was there and never twigged till later in life, when your everyday life features that woman, when she’s singing away, no matter the song, she’s in a good place and that’s a life moment for a kid to be in whether they realise or not.

I heard a song once stoned, ‘the flash of a distant camera, reconnects thoughts and actions, fragments of our missing dreams’

I looked out old photos, hadn’t seen them in decades. Every single one I looked at, opened the portal back to that moment in my life. All of a sudden I could remember the surroundings, the smells, the weather, what happened before, what happened later, mostly it made me realise that I spent a life in a really happy place without realising it

A song can do the same m8. Me, I really listen to music that takes me to a happy place.

Cherish the memories and fill this page with what made you and your folks happy …
You signed up for the predictor yet ?
Just a wee reminder that it’s on
HH

What a wonderful post, Smelly. I can relate to everyword; pretty much sums up my own feelings in regard to my attachment to my own music collection.

I have my own space at home, a kind of mancave of memories if you like. My music collection, books, photographs, desktop.

The gaffer looks at my music collection and asks me if I really enjoy it all as it includes almost all genres, and is so varied. I do.

An oasis of sanity. My own personal escapism......as well as The Noise, of course !

Got a load of 12 singles and albums all were new never been played did some shop clearances years ago for shop fitters and got these as freebies , wondering if anyone knows good places to sell them to

Saw a few online

https://www.vinylrecords.scot/ and,,,,,,, vinyl wanted

av got hundreds of the feckers so wanting the lot gone

if anyone knows a place let us know
I clocked an advert in Private Eye for you Kelly.

Wanted for Cash Vinyl Records & Turntables
contact Neil.ibbetson@gmail.com
Neil-07817 952508

“I got a letter from the Government the other day, opened it and read it, it said they were suckers, they wanted me for the army or whatever, picture me giving a damn I said never.”

Last edited:
For the wee yin, and Lubo's two girls... today marks the 50th Anniversary of Hip Hop...time flies eh...here's the Sugar Hill Gang bringing it, from all those years ago...catchy tune back in the day...
...Liliana this Summer on the way to her dance recital...the hat went backwards after the 'gig', they rocked the venue...the crowd were going wild as the kids rocked it out Hip Hop Lily .jpg

Last edited:
Back